A visit from Mom on 'The Big Bang Theory'
October 21st, 2011

A visit from Mom on 'The Big Bang Theory'

I'm gonna level with you. As great as Laurie Metcalf is in pretty much every role she's ever played, the episodes where she guest stars as Sheldon's mom are not my favorites.

It kind of seems like there's not much left in the well to go back to with her, unfortunately (though I think there's still a lot more that could be done with Christine Baranski as Leonard's mom).

Don't get me wrong, the episode had its share of great one-liners ("There's a lot of harm in trying something new. That's why we test out drugs and cosmetics on bunny rabbits"), and I enjoyed her playing off Leonard and taking all of the characters to church.

But at the same time, it seemed like more of the same with her character. Seeing her sing "Soft Kitty" to Sheldon also seemed very "been there, done that" (and yes, I know she sang it before Penny, but Penny singing "Soft Kitty" is one of the top five moments in the show's history).

I hate to say it, but this was the weakest episode of what's been a pretty good season so far. Next week looks to have something of a Halloween theme, though, so I will definitely look forward to that.

Were you as let down as I was this week? Share your thoughts on iReport or comment below.

1. Georgia girl

I disagree with the comments about Laurie Metcalf and Christine Baranski. Although both are good, the character of Sheldon would not be complete without the episodes where we experience first-hand his mom. And while Baranski is quite good, we can get Leonard without his mother. Metcalf is hilarious and plays this part so well.

July 4, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Patti

As usual the opinion of the viewer doesn't match the writer. Four of us in the office today talked about nothing else but how funny this episode of Big Bang was. We threw out the one liners all day. I even went home at lunch and watched it again so I could remember the ones I forgot. Love, love, love this show!!

April 13, 2012 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  3. MGR

Metcalf was uncaracteristically dour in this episode. I think that is why the episode felt so weak–there is usually a sense of amusement in her presentation of the character that was missing this time.

November 4, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  4. be quiet

I also disagree with the writer. I love everytime Laurie M is on as Sheldon's mom. I thought this episode was the best yet of the season. It's funny to see Johnny Galecki and Laurie M back in the same cast again. Love this show!

October 24, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  5. emylu

I strongly disagree. I think Metcalf is absolutely hilarious and this was so far one of the best this season. I think it is the one that plays Leonard's mom that is burned out.

October 23, 2011 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jeremiah David

Whats Really going on in the News. Be Informed Laugh Subscribe JeremiahDavidChannel on YouTube Watch now!!!
    [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbAQfSa4WyY&w=640&h=390]

October 23, 2011 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Ann

I disagree with the writer. I love the episodes with Laurie Metcalf. I thought the one the other night was very funny. I'm a mother about her age, though, and I've liked her since Roseanne. I think Big Bang is such a great show.

October 23, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Amanda

Agreed. I thought it was very weak, and almost seemed like an incomplete episode. Notice there was only one storyline. Writers, what happened?

October 22, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Peter

Personally, I'm tired of hearing religious people saying they are tired of non-religious people say they are tired of religious people "crying victim."

October 22, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jiggs

Phillip, you ever consider that its very tiring to hear non religious people say they are tired of religious people "crying victim?" Anyway, I think the writer has it totally wrong. The episode was hilarious. The episodes with Sheldon's mom are way better than the episodes with Leonard's mom. Hey CNN, you need better writers.

October 22, 2011 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  11. mejazzbo

The episode was simply another facet in this diamond of a show. Live long and prosper!

October 22, 2011 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  12. Susan 2

Are you kidding me?!! I laughed hysterically! I am an avid fan...loved this show! Come on...lighten up! I absolutely adore Laurie M as Sheldon's mon (likewise on the Christine casting as Leonard's mom!). I LOVED hearing her sing "Soft Ktty"!!! I thought it was a VERY funny show! But then, I do love nerds! Keep up the great work!

October 22, 2011 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  13. Peter

My favorite line of the show was "When I was your age, you could have me for a car ride and a bottle of strawberry wine." I also loved the continuation of the running joke about her having Sheldon tested for insanity, especially her expression of regret about not having taken him to the specialist in Houston.

October 22, 2011 at 6:54 am | Report abuse |
  14. tessie

I have to disagree. I thought the episode was very funny. The fact that Sheldon, who attempts to show such disdain for his up-bringing was so jealous and disappointed that his mother didn't want to do all the things that he had planned for her was very funny. And Laurie Metcalf's line were about "I've got a book you can read if you want to spend eternity to heaven, etc. I thought were very well written. As was her line to Penny about strawberry wine and a ride in a car. It was just showing she was human, too. I thought this week's episode was better than last weeks.

October 21, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  15. No, I Was Not Let Down Because I Actually WATCHED The Show

I gotta say, for brilliant CNN standards, your reviews of The Big Bang Theory sure have been unremarkable and shamefully prosaic. Do you even watch the show? And while we're playing the Question Game, do you even have a sense of humor? Thank Mary Cooper's God that America does, because Big Bang broke records with their numbers last night. Shows how much you know about your TV.

October 21, 2011 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • sasha

agreed. Hands down agreed. I died laughing. Starting to miss having some sort of story arc though. The bernadette and howard line is just boring now

October 22, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paula

Agreed. Laurie Metcalfe is awesome a s Sheldon's mom. I truly enjoy all the episodes she appears in.

October 23, 2011 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
  16. Phillip

I'm so tired of the religious folks crying victim at everything Susan....

October 21, 2011 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Susan

I agree with the writer but for a different reason. The whole Hollywood stereotype of religious people is old and annoying. Of course the writers would never consider doing a script with the same type of nastiness aimed at gays or minorities. Mostly though just not funny and uncalled for.

October 21, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  18. gross

Really ? Like what ?

October 21, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  19. dew

@gross I've heard of people doing worse stuff than that.

October 21, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  20. gross

Did u c what yea said on last wyww blog ? Oh my g()d how gross !

October 21, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |