Rihanna's 'We Found Love':  What's the verdict?
October 20th, 2011

Rihanna's 'We Found Love': What's the verdict?

It isn't often that a video lives up to its hype, and in this case, controversy, but dare we say Rihanna's "We Found Love" does.

The singer's ode to falling hard in "a hopeless place" has an upbeat dance groove that may distract from what she's trying to convey, but the video carries the message well.

"We Found Love," which tells the story of two lovers who are enamored with each other but who seem to be in a trainwreck of a relationship, has been hailed as a cross between "Trainspotting" and "Requiem for a Dream." And yes, some have mentioned how if you squint, model/boxer Dudley O'Shaughnessy might remind you of Rihanna's ex Chris Brown.

Time finds the way the video's quick pace takes us through the relationship in just over four minutes to be "incredible," and PopCrush calls it one of Rihanna's best videos yet. What's your verdict?

Filed under: Celebrities • Music • Rihanna

1. garden clearance luton

Very nice post. I simply stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I've really loved browsing your blog posts. In any case I will be subscribing on your rss feed and I am hoping you write once more very soon!

September 4, 2012 at 2:41 am | Report abuse |
  2. Been there

I was in a relationship practically identical to the one she portrays in this video for several years (I have been out of it for about the same amount of time) and I was moved to tears. These types of relationships are impossible to explain to people without them looking at you like you're crazy. People who haven't been there cannot imagine ever loving and so much wanting to be with someone who was such an emotional and physical drain on you.

It is such a relief for me when songs come out describing this type of situation. Instead of trying to explain (and in some ways justify) staying so long in a relationship that was so bad for me, I just point to songs like this and say "That's what it was." The song she sings with Eminem serves the same purpose. This video portrays something very real that many women (and men) have experienced.

October 31, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  3. R. Prescott

This chick is going down hill. No more the beauty queen. More like a immature chick digging up anything she can do to make a video, thinking she's still got what it takes to make it big.

I am no longer buying her music until she grows up. Until then, I pray she gets with the program.

October 24, 2011 at 1:35 am | Report abuse |
    • nikkidee

Get with whose program? Yours? Yes, Riri's face is not as attractive as it was even a year ago – even rabid fans can see that. But her voice is stronger and she rules the charts and social media.

October 24, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Rebbeca

Not a fan and if she has so much talent then doesn't need to be shakin her azz? Just more trash music.
    She was voted most beautiful? Who voted only really ugly people?

October 21, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  5. lesa

2 PEEPS BAD MOUTHING RIHANNA-ITS STUPID BAD MOUTHIN HER COZ SHE B MAKIN MONEY N UR NOT!LIKE REALI HOW MUCH DO YOU GET PAID WRITIN CRAP ABT HER HUH??U THINK SHE SUCKS?OK THEN GET OVA IT N DNT LISTEB TO HER MUSIC....SHE DNT KNW U N SHE DNT CARE WAT U SAY,AS LONG AS U KNOW HER DATS OK COZ DATS DA POINT!!DA VIDEO POTRAYS WAT REALITY IS AND WAT PEOPLE GO THRU*big ups to her

October 21, 2011 at 6:50 am | Report abuse |
  6. Rihanasuks ass

get over it rihanna your just trying to hit niche songs and see if you can make $$$ from it stop pretending to care you don't your a nasty ugly chick that looks like a man in a wig and your music sounds like crap all of it to all you sheeple keep listening to her trash.

October 21, 2011 at 5:48 am | Report abuse |
  7. shell517nj

good job rihanna. this issue "toxic relationships" is more widespread than we think and its not just limited to teens and young adults. we have older adults in toxic relationships who don't know how to let go. this happens when the heart gets in the way of whats in your best interest. we tend to go with what we feel, knowing its not the best decision. I was very disappointed in the way the whole incident was played out by some in the media, taking sides. fans could see they were hurting by what transpired between them. I'm sure this was a very valuable experience for the both of them and God bless them both. chris has dyed his here back to blonde. lol.

October 20, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  8. The Måd Råp3r

I liked that video where she shot that guy totally unprovoked better

October 20, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Desdemona

The only way a man would ever beat me is during rough hot *ex. Other than that..i'll be slapping him right back with a very heavy skillet

October 20, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Amanda

I want to beat the h*ll out of a man.

October 20, 2011 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  11. @ chris and ike

I know yall are famous and all but anyone who would hit another person is the lowest of the low.

October 20, 2011 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  12. Ike Turner

Me and Chris Browns know how to treat a lady. We BIG men.

October 20, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  13. Ronald Mcdunald

I love everything you said derp
    Everything you said is so true!

October 20, 2011 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  14. Ronald Mcdunald

I really dont care for the song or video. This rap music gets on my nerves.

October 20, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
    • KAren

I think you're getting your genres confused. This is not rap....far far from it. Seriously it has a techno dance beat

October 21, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Shane

This video is so powerful because it is so real. This is a major issue that todays youth are facing everyday. Being so deeply in love with someone that it takes over your mind is exactly how love feels sometimes and how Rihanna and Chris felt about each other. The idea that Rihanna shouldn't be able to express her life through music is ridiculous because that is exactly what she is doing. Chris Brown sympathizers are saying that she is exploting the incident to benefit her career when it is evident that she is using music as an outlet to express the emotional scarring that she still has. It has ONLY been two years since the incident and considering the media circus and lack of privacy she had I dont understand why people are being critical of her addressing such topics. I much rather prefer when an artist digs deep within their own experience to make music and videos as opposed to the bubblegum, corny music videos of Katy Perry and such. I applaud Rihanna's attempt to convey a powerful message through her art, because it comes off as sincere, and makes me question how I view relationships, addiction, and domestic violence.

October 20, 2011 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Carrie

I love everything you said Shane
      Everything you said is sooo true!

October 20, 2011 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
    • shell517nj

unfortunately this doesn't only affect youths. their are adults in toxic relationships that don't know how to let go. this is what happens when people make decisions with their FEELINGS. it is clear they do love each other but weren't good for each other. one of life's many lessons and a good one. just sad how it played out in the media with people taking sides.

October 20, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • WLM

Shane I completely agree with you.. It is a great video.. Congrats Riri!!! Love it !

October 21, 2011 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  16. Chris Brown

Yeah, I know I'm on everyone's minds these days... keep talkin about me.

October 20, 2011 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Danielle

EXACTLY!!

October 20, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shae

I love you Christopher Maurice Brown!!!! Marry me!!!

November 13, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • diamond

Im very much a devoted chris brown fan and i have been since the start of his career, as well as a Rihanna fan. Point blank period both are musical geniuses, and i feel that okay maybe the video did sort of look at the incident with the two, but at the end of the day she has the freedom to do whatever she pleases. As for Chris Brown, last time I checked his career was still booming and will continue to do so. His career is doing great and white frankly, if this thing between him and Rii had never happened it might have taken him a little longer to be where he is at today. Rii had to go through some things for the world to see her soft side and get some really good music out of her, and as for Chris this little incident showed the world he is not perfect and i believe brought out the true genius he is in music. Not only did this video prove alot for Rii it also showed a moment of self control for Chris because he did not respond by bashing out a window again. So as for all the negative commenters please sit it on down, and let these two stars be just that and more. Last time i checked, they were still both humans.

December 27, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Spell Check

And you are a 50 year old woman, that does not know how to spell. Why would you have to point out she's black??? must people are NOT blind, but thanks for that needless information you IDIOT....

October 20, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |