Nia Long on getting pregnant at 40
October 20th, 2011

Nia Long on getting pregnant at 40

For women who are concerned about having kids later in life, 40-year-old actress Nia Long is telling them not to worry about it.

Long, who is expecting her second child, tells Ebony in the magazine's November issue that child-bearing isn't something to rush into.

"The medical [profession] tries to tell every woman, 'Have your babies before 40 because you shouldn't have children after 40," according to People. But, Long argues, "You are not half the woman you're gonna be until you turn 30. You're not even half of that woman yet. So I think if we'd just take our time as women, and do what comes to natural to us and for us, we'd make fewer mistakes."

Not that waiting to conceive is an easy road, either. The actress, who is also mom to 11-year-old son Massai, says that at first she wasn't sure if she was going to be able to build a family with basketball playing beau Ime Udoka.

"I honestly asked God for this," she reveals to Ebony. While a visit to the doctor's office had left her discouraged because she was told that it would be hard for her to have more children, she and Udoka didn't lose hope.

"The next time [Udoka] came to visit," she says, he told her he didn't believe in the doctor's words of caution.

"And I said, 'You don't?'" Long recalled. "He said, 'No.' And I said, 'Good, me neither.' Then I got pregnant."

Filed under: Celebrities

1. what can i do to get pregnant

I do agree with all of the ideas you have introduced on your post. They are very convincing and will certainly work. Nonetheless, the posts are very quick for beginners. Could you please lengthen them a little from next time? Thanks for the post.

April 11, 2013 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  2. pregnancy

I am extremely inspired with your writing skills as neatly as with the structure in your weblog. Is that this a paid topic or did you modify it your self? Either way keep up the excellent quality writing, it is uncommon to see a great blog like this one nowadays..

June 21, 2012 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  3. twinrexes

I fully support women having babies later in life. I became pregnant unexpectedly at age 45 and delivered a healthy baby boy at age 46. He is our first, last, and only. I could never have imagined the ways in which he would change my life, nearly all for the better! My pregnancy was perfectly normal and uneventful but a had a long, hard labor followed by a C-section. Our son was and still is, a robust, intelligent, super-active little guy who keeps us on our toes. You can read my story at http://www.crossingnewhorizons.com/pregnant-at-45

June 1, 2012 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  4. twinrexes

I fully support women having babies later in life. I became pregnant unexpectedly at age 45 and delivered a healthy baby boy at age 46. He is our first, last, and only. I could never have imagined the ways in which he would change my life, nearly all for the better! My pregnancy was perfectly normal and uneventful but a had a long, hard labor followed by a C-section. Our son was and still is, a robust, intelligent, super-active little guy who keeps us on our toes. You can read my story at pregnant at 45

June 1, 2012 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  5. help me get pregnant fast

My brother recommended I would possibly like this blog. He used to be totally right. This put up actually made my day. You cann't believe simply how much time I had spent for this information! Thank you!

May 10, 2012 at 6:07 am | Report abuse |
  6. the best way to become pregnant

Thank you for every other informative web site. Where else may just I am getting that kind of info written in such an ideal means? I've a undertaking that I am simply now working on, and I have been at the look out for such information.

May 9, 2012 at 6:52 am | Report abuse |
  7. Jaabs Jd

Hi there, this is a wonderful weblog. Great to now that there are still some people paying attention to their site. I was wondering if you were interested to write an article for those couples who need help getting pregnant. I found out that there are plenty people out there who need help getting pregnant. Maybe an article about it can be of some help to them.a way to get pregnant

January 15, 2012 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jeremiah David

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbAQfSa4WyY&w=640&h=390]

October 24, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Cronny

@ted pro basketball player.

October 21, 2011 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  10. Cronny

Lol,good one Deja.

October 21, 2011 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
  11. Deja`

@Mr.Ed spit doesn't make babies.

October 21, 2011 at 2:19 am | Report abuse |
  12. Mr. Ed

@wendy he is shooting blanks huh..lol. want me 2 try? i'll knock you up in no time.

October 20, 2011 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  13. madhater

Too bad Mexican women don't have this problem.

October 20, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  14. wendy

Congratulations Nia i've been trying to conceive for a while the whole nine yards and then some we're still hopeful.

October 20, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  15. joel levenstien

Me too. Ive had such a terrible time getting pregnant. I wonder if it is because I am joooooish?

October 20, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  16. @Cali

I know exactly what you mean. You go through life thinking you get married and have kids when you are ready. Then the cruel fact comes into play, that you have some sort of problem. I went through the same thing. After many surgeries, I finally did conceive, and have a terrific son. I had such a small chance of having a baby, and look what happened. Sometimes things happen when you least expect it. I was pregnant 2 more times, but miscarried both babies. Just hang in there. You are not alone!

October 20, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  17. JOHN WAYNE

Thars just sumthin wrong with folks that dont like dooodooo jokes, pardner.

October 20, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  18. otay

Yeah. Pliny is mean. Plus she doesnt like dooodoooo jokes.

October 20, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Cali

This is so frustrating! At age 39, I've had two miscarriages and am still trying to conceive. It's statements like this that make women think that it's going to be easy and not to worry when in truth - 6.1 milllion women suffer the emotional turmoil of trying to conceive. Believe me, if I could "hand it over to God" and know I was going to get pregnant, I would. I don't wish the emotional pain I've suffered on anyone.

October 20, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • tracie AKA Big Roy

Seriously, get some help. You're a disturbed, sick, perverted, absolutely horrid example of a human being. Pathetic.

October 20, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Gayster

Where's Connie?

October 20, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Tricia

Thats right ! Cause Im firsty. Take that you doooodies !

October 20, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Ni Ni

Whatever happened to Nia Peeples. She was on FAME and had her own late night tv show for a while. She was a cutie.

October 20, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  23. jeff

Did you hear the big news about Lindsay Lohan being captured? She wont be bothering those people in Libya anymore !

October 20, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Anomic Office Drone

Firsty. Wow. Now I can die happy. Checked off everything on my Bucket List. Time to go.

October 20, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |