Halloween special puts 'Pretty Little Liars' to the test
October 20th, 2011

Halloween special puts 'Pretty Little Liars' to the test

The flashbacks don’t do Alison justice. As it turns out, she’s more evil than her frenemies would have us believe.

The special Halloween episode of “Pretty Little Liars" was interesting - and not just because Hanna was wearing a fat suit.

It was the first time we got to experience Rosewood through Ali’s eyes (and Jenna’s, for that matter. But, first things first.).

The episode opened with Ali’s story about a girl who murders her twin sister, and is sent to live at a home for the criminally insane – until she escapes, of course.

This immediately struck me because, although I haven’t read the book series, I learned about Courtney from your comments.

In the novels, Courtney is Alison’s mentally unstable twin sister. ABC Family has said the TV series won’t follow the books, but I’ll stop at “mentally unstable” in case they have a change of heart.

Before we’re introduced to a visually unimpaired Jenna, Emily talks to Toby while he unloads his new stepsister's snow globes. (Remember: Ali gave Emily a snow globe with a key to a storage unit hidden inside it.)

Later, Ali meets Jenna at the Halloween store. The pair immediately butt heads over who will make a better Lady Gaga. (Jenna won, hands down.) While she's there, someone in a scary mask stalks Alison. And, for the first time, it’s not the little liars who are receiving cryptic texts. “I’m watching you,” the message says.

(Question: Did that mask look familiar to anyone else? Some Twitter chatter suggested it might be the same mask the girls found buried in the dirt while looking for Dr. Sullivan in season 2.)

Meanwhile, on her way to her dad’s office at Hollis, Aria bumps into a slightly younger Fitz in the hallway. That’s also the first time she meets Meredith, the student she and Ali catch her dad making out with after school.

Ali uses Aria’s family issues to blackmail her into attending Noel’s Halloween bash.

Across town, the detective (who eventually tries to pin Alison’s murder on the girls) escorts Hanna’s mother home from the local watering hole. Later, at Noel's Halloween party, the detective chats Jenna up – proving he’s not too concerned with that whole underage drinking law.

It’s clear that Ali and Melissa aren’t on the same team from the get go. After flirting with Ian (and his video camera) at the Hasting’s house, Ali takes a verbal jab at Melissa. Spencer is oblivious.

Back at her house, Jason makes his first appearance of the special. He tells Ali that his friends are making a movie before handing her a package. The box contains a burlap voodoo doll with a note: “It’s my turn to torture you.”

She unhinges a vent in her room, revealing the box Jason said he found in her room last season. (Didn’t he say he found it under her floorboards?)

She pulls out a doll – which could very well be the one the twins in her story fought over – and removes a necklace from a secret compartment. She leaves the note in its place.

After watching Alison torment Jenna (who doesn’t seem to feel threatened in the least), Mona and Lucas throughout the special, it’s no wonder someone wanted her dead.

Later on, at Noel’s party, the girls get a text from Ali asking them to come to an abandoned house and rescue her.

There, the girls watch from afar as Ali fights with a masked person before getting away.

On their way out, they see Ali sitting smugly in a rocking chair with a large knife in hand. She says the whole thing was a hoax, Noel was in on it, and she’s happy to know she can count on her friends if she really needs to.

Upon returning to the party, Noel denies being part of Ali’s test, yet his gynecologist costume is nowhere in sight. Hmm…

Then, in true “PLL” fashion: Ring, ring. “Dying to know who I am? You’ll find out,” A writes to Ali.

There appears to be more than one person at the party with the creepy mask we saw at the Halloween store, outside Spencer’s window and at the abandoned house.

Maybe we'll find more out when the series returns in January.

What did you think of last night's Halloween special? Any leads?

1. BigDenis

You are my aspiration , I have few web logs and rarely run out from to post . BigDenis http://public3nemy.tumblr.com

February 11, 2013 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Marker

I know this is a little late, but try and pause when we are in Alli's room. When she's sitting in her bed, there is a picture frame in the background. There's a photo of Jason in the middle and on each side of him is a picture of Alli.....or maybe one of them could be her twin? Just a thought.... :) Can't wait 'till this season finale. It's going to be epic!

February 2, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Susie

OMG I love this show. Me and my 2 girls ages 19 & 23 have never missed an episode. this Halloween special answered alot of questions but then now I am asking myself more questions. The twins thing was new to me. I have only read the first book and the series in the first seanson was DEAD on to the book. I am going to have to get the 2nd book now. I don't want to read it until the season is over so all is a surprise to me. Now it's safe to get the book. If you have not watched it from the beginning I urge you to do so to understand. I bet you will LOVE it. Ali is quite the biotch as well as Jenna.

October 30, 2011 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mari

Everyone is saying how evil Ali was but she really didn't start being upright brutal until she got the message from -A and on who -A is they tried to make it seem like Lucas but its obviously more than one person and Jenna had it in for Ali before she even met her. So may Jenna is the ring leader idk.

October 24, 2011 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Erin

I hate how everyone talks about Pretty Little Liars now.. I read the books a year before the show came out and everyone knew about it.

October 24, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jeremiah David

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbAQfSa4WyY&w=640&h=390]

October 24, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  7. MJ

I just did a side by side of the screens of when the girls were digging up Dr. Sullivan and the Halloween episode. In the fake grave, there was no mask–it was actually an adult mannequin form. Narrow face, narrow nose, more wide-set lips. The masks in the Halloween episode were more of baby shape–wide and round, the mouth and nose were the same width and these ones had pudgy little jowls.

Anyway, I personally thought the best part of the episode was the revised intro. The subtly of changing Ali's nail polish from the bright pink to the darker color really amused me.

October 21, 2011 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  8. Sojourner-1

I have only seen the show once -on the fence with liking it.

October 21, 2011 at 4:32 am | Report abuse |
  9. @lorin

Like! Oh my god! I totally agree!

October 20, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Beth

The more and more I read about PLL, the more I want to watch the series. However, whenever I try to "jump in," I get lost because I have no idea what's going on. So, I try to pick up the books and read them, but find them uninteresting at best because there's a show on TV about PLL(it's a mental pet-peeve thing I have). So, I /might/ try to watch it from the very beginning because Pretty Litte Liars sounds like something I could "get into" if ever I could become interested in it.

October 20, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Lorin

I think it was pretty cool how they started off the show with the twins in the beginning, I definitely think that had something to do with Alison and Courtney. I knew Alison was evil but now I see how evil she really was and it left me questioning why the girls even wanted to be her friend from the start? I think even though Alison was Miss popularity, deep down she was a loner that did anything to keep people at her side, hence the reason why she felt the need to blackmail each of the girls. Jenna made a really good Lady Gaga.... I can't wait to see who was the one attacking Alison in the abandon house.

October 20, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |