Colin Quinn didn't mean what he said about Gadhafi
October 20th, 2011

Colin Quinn didn't mean what he said about Gadhafi

Comedian and actor Colin Quinn may have meant for his tweets about Gadhafi's death to be taken as jokes, but it doesn't seem like many were laughing.

The former "Saturday Night Live" star tweeted following news of the Libyan dictator's death, "Another great innovator who started in the 80's and regained popularity recently has died. Say hello to Mr. Jobs, Mr. Khaddafi."

He continued, "I know one thing, when it all boils down to it, I think we all agree, he did more good than bad, and that's all any of us can expect. He made people smile and that's something not most people in Libya can say. To me it's all about longevity and this man lasted. Like Tony Bennett."

The 52-year-old received "WTF"-laden responses in return, as well as more than one person suggesting he relocate to Libya. Wrote @DustinMarvin, "@iamcolinquinn you're not offensive, you're not deadpan, this bit died long ago... You're just really, really, really irritating..."

Added user Joe Nash, "to compare Tony Bennett and Khaddafi is like saying cancer and pineapples are both great because they've lasted. WTF?"

But Quinn told CNN that the responders were taking his remarks too seriously. “I’m just busting balls,” he said. “I understand the meth'ed-out 15-year-old kid not getting my irony, but CNN should. What the hell?”

Quinn went on to say he couldn't understand how those reading his tweets hadn't picked up on his mocking tone.

“Here I am trying to bring a little fun to twitter," he said. "What do they want to do, just hear about what I eat?"

And to the person who told Quinn, "Stop with the stupid retweet bit, you say stuff to piss people off... Then they comment WE GET IT," perhaps this will explain the comedian/actor's point of view.

"Twitter is one of those dangerous toys that if it gets in the hands of the wrong person you’ll have the mind of a 12-year-old masquerading as an adult," Quinn said of his sense of humor.

« Previous entry
  1. J-stat

relax people – Quinn appeals to those with an advanced since of humor. It might not be your cup of tea but he is just trying to make people laugh. Stop with the fake outrage, if you don't think it's funny don't try to ruin it for those who think it is, just move on.

October 25, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  2. madhater

I like Quinn, I follow him. Great Update anchor.

October 21, 2011 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Todd

The guy just isn't funny, never has been and never will be. He is completely irrelevant, so he has to do things like this to get attention. I for one am looking forward to his drug overdose and death, one less idiot in the world. And no Colin, I'm not joking, I really am looking forward to the day I get and read the headline "Horrible, irrelevant 'comedian' who was never funny is dead."

October 21, 2011 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  4. michaelfury

RTN tweets:

@Tripps$rtn gonna make billions off these limited US wars- !!!

@eddyhooks$rtn–US fires 110 Tomahawks–total cost about $63m

@JimK$rTN is the maker of the Tomahawk’s being used on Quack-dafi. Over a $1/2 MM at a pop for those.

@WallStreetBuddhaSell $PCLN, Obama is gonna fire up the war machine. We’re going into Libya. Watching Defense stocks $LMT $BA $NOC $RTN

@sellputs$RTN raises annual Divvy 15% to 1.72…..All the #Tomahawk action must have instilled confidence in the board.

October 21, 2011 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
  5. Lol...

...this is actually the first thing I've ever heard Quinn say in years that I really foundhim funny.

October 21, 2011 at 7:03 am | Report abuse |
  6. Kevin

I agree have you seen the interview?? I've seen it posted at CELEBUR.COM the video is still up i think.

October 21, 2011 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  7. KRM

Observer is a liberal stooge!

October 20, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Observer

Typical hollywood liberal. Hate is all that the left knows.

October 20, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • boocat

You reap what you sow, moron.

October 21, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Pliny

Obsurder,

You should date traci. For 2 reasons:
      1) you both post garbage
      2) traci is a guy (and you repbulican/conservatives ALWAYS seem to be DEEP IN THE CLOSET).

October 21, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Anomic Office Drone

Pretending to side with something or someone you don't agree with in an exaggerated way to get laughs and reactions is nothing new. Honestly, some of those made me laugh. Is this really so different than what Stephen Colbert does every night?

October 20, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Beth

Quoting: Not one to hog the timeline, Quinn began to retweet reactions to his remarks, which also included statements like, "Let me tell you something, Khaddafi is not the terrorist. We're the terrorist! May you land in the in the blissful gardens of paradise, after a life well lived. Allahu akbar, Mr. Khaddafi!! People say Khaddafi was anti American! Well, there was more freedom in Libya than this sick country will ever have." /End Quote

Well, then, Mr. Quinn, go live in Lybia because America doesn't want you either.

October 20, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Evel Knievel

I think you need to read it more closely, it was a reaction to his original tweet. Someone else said it. Go live in Lybia, we don't want people who can't read English here.

October 20, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • xjdavid

No, Evel, Quinn said that. His remarks, which also included things like "blah blah blah"

October 21, 2011 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |