A visit to Phil's alma mater on 'Modern Family'
October 20th, 2011

A visit to Phil's alma mater on 'Modern Family'

Go Bullfrogs... er, Bulldogs!

Wednesday night's "Modern Family" was a tour de force for Phil, who gets this week's MVP for doing his darndest to embarrass Haley as he showed her around his old campus.

When he tracked her down to a notorious fraternity house, he of course chastised Haley for flirting with a college guy who looks like her dad (it turns out he was an old family friend, still in high school, who looked nothing like Phil... and his parents were a few feet away).

And it was great to see father and daughter sliding down a hill on trays near the campus quad. (Still unknown, though, is what will become of Haley's character on the show once she leaves for college.)

We also had Jay and Gloria wondering what Manny was doing behind closed doors while watching her beloved Colombian soap opera (a show which Jay got into more than he'd care to admit). The poor kid had fallen prey to a gadget which purported to help you get taller.

Gloria couldn't believe that it set him back $50. "I know!" said Jay. "He could've gotten a two-year subscription to Playboy for that."

Jay offered to help Manny work out instead.

Meanwhile, Claire did a pretty good job of embarrassing herself on a night out without the kids ("I want music and dancing and secondhand smoke!"). She went out with one of Cam and Mitchell's friends (played by "Dancing With the Stars'" Gilles Marini), believing him to be gay.

"I just wanted to spend my night with some fun gay people," she said. "It's not my fault this one decided to be straight!"

Cam and Mitchell ran into their own problems, getting the wrong car from the valet. The best part of this plotline was the cameo from "Modern Family" writer Danny Zuker as one of the car's owners.

This episode played around with some of the dynamics within the family, especially the father-daughter bonding between Phil and Haley. It was a nice change of pace. "Modern Family" hasn't really made a misstep yet this season.

What did you think of the episode? Share your iReport or comment below.

1. T

Poor Manny, he should have watched that episode of the Brady Bunch where Bobby just hangs from a monkey bar to try to get taller – that was free.....
    $50 bucks !??? Yeesh and also comes with a goofy Buck Rogers ('80s) helmet ?

What will they do with Haley, when she leaves for college next year.....probably show up on the Thanksgiving and Christmas episodes....for the next three years....

October 24, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Evel Knievel

"I just wanted to spend my night with some fun gay people,” she said.

Now Pliny is quoted in the blog postings?

October 20, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  3. be quiet

why does there have to be an "MVP" every week? that's dumb. they're all great and so is the show.

October 20, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jacob

Later on when I get all growed up and win the lottery Im going to the laundrymat and get myself a purty girlfriend. I herd lots of purty girls always hang around laundrymats looking for a rich husband. Plus if you meet a girl there you know she is good at cleanin clothes and stuff. Clean clothes is important if your in middle school. One time my friend rufus had mud all on his pants and the teacher made him go home and get warshed up. Thats too far to walk for me. That why its important to get a purty girl that can clean clothes good and knows how to run them fancy washers and driers. Warshin clothes in the creek dont get em too clean.

October 20, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Observer

More liberal garbage. Why is this show not cancelled yet?

October 20, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sheldon

Well, turn it off and watch reruns of "Touched by an Angel" - a conservative classic. Of which the liberal spin-off shall be "Touched by a Priest."

October 21, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  6. nancy

I just loooooove me a good mater sandwich. I always grow better boy maters though. Alma maters are probably some fancy kind the city folk like. Rub me some mayonaise on some lofa bread and slice up a mater on it. . . . . . so good itll make you slap your granny.

October 20, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |