'Parenthood': Tales from The Luncheonette
October 19th, 2011

'Parenthood': Tales from The Luncheonette

Last week we left off with Sarah running out in the middle of the night to find a beaten and bloodied Seth in an alley. So did we find her visiting him at the hospital this week? Or at his place? No, because this is No Boundaries Sarah. She brought him home, to her place. On her father's property.

This is such a bad idea. It seems like he’s trying to put the moves on her while she’s cleaning him up. Sarah wises up for a second, though, telling him he can’t see the kids anymore if he doesn't go to rehab.

But it's her relationship with Mr. Cyr that's going to need some rehab if she keeps it up. He finds Seth’s discarded cigarettes in Sarah’s sofa bed.

She explains the situation, but he has valid questions.  And he’s sure to have more when he finds out Seth wants her to help him through rehab.

Zeek doesn't react well to the news when Sarah tells him and Camille about it. Zeek thinks Seth wants money to pay for rehab, but Sarah says she believes he can change and claims he hasn’t asked for money. But then she goes and tearfully asks Julia for it. I understand that he is her kids’ father, but at some point he’s got to do things for himself, especially if it’s going to interfere with her relationship with her parents.

Or her relationship with Mr. Cyr, who tells her he doesn’t like the idea of her seeing Seth through rehab. I'm not sure Amber and Drew are going to like it either. They just kind of sat and looked at each other during the family meeting Sarah and Seth held to tell them about what's going on. This is not going to be good.

Kristina and Adam bring baby Nora home, where she gets her first full Braverman clan treatment. Kristina looks even more frazzled than usual. Can’t blame her though, what with the in-laws and the kids practically on top of  her when she walks in the door. I feel an epic Kristina meltdown coming on.

On top of that, Crosby comes over to tell Adam they have a chance to have Cee Lo record in their studio. In a highly unusual role reversal, Crosby is ready to say no, because The Luncheonette isn't ready, while Adam wants to work all night, get it done and seize the day. It’s like they’ve switched bodies or something.

At the first meeting, Crosby is trying to guide Cee Lo and the band to the studio that’s ready, as opposed to the downstairs studio that definitely is not. But Cee Lo, his people (and Adam) are feeling the fire and the spirit of Janis Joplin.

The session doesn’t go well. Cee Lo does take after take, and Crosby loses it and kicks Adam out of the control room. They are all but convinced they’ve been fired when Cee Lo and his crew leave in a snit at the end of the day. Turns out Cee Lo was the one who wasn’t having a good day, because he comes back with a new approach, and everyone is rockin’ and happy.

Julia and Joel tell Zeek and Camille they’re adopting the latte girl's baby. It’s all happiness and high fives until Zeek and Camille start asking real questions, like, is there a contract, what do you know about the girl? And they don’t have a contract. Interesting, considering Julia’s a lawyer and met the girl in her law firm.

On the one hand, Zeek does know how to kill a party. On the other, as Julia realizes, he does have a point. It's great that the girl trusts Julia and Joel enough to let them adopt her child, but I have a feeling it's not going to be that easy.

Joel stands up to Zeek when he gives Sarah a hard time about asking Joel for money to help Seth get into rehab. Joel tells Zeek he's going to have to accept what decisions his (grown) daughters make. Zeek said not a word in response, and I think he, and everyone else at the table, was a little shocked. This is the same Joel who, in the first season, was scared to say a word to Zeek about anything.

I still side with Zeek about this whole Sarah and Seth thing. Sure, Seth needs support, but Sarah needs to try giving it from afar. What do you think?  Do you think Sarah is the best person to help Seth?

1. זיקריוורדס

I don't even understand how I finished up here, however I thought this submit was great. I do not realize who you're but certainly you're going to a well-known blogger for those who are not already. Cheers!

August 8, 2012 at 6:11 am | Report abuse |
  2. זיק ריוורדס ישראל

Hi, i feel that i noticed you visited my website thus i came to return the desire?.I am trying to find issues to improve my web site!I suppose its good enough to make use of some of your ideas!!

August 4, 2012 at 7:00 am | Report abuse |
  3. happytam

I have watched this show since the beginning and really wanted to like it. I gave it a lot of chances but I just can't watch anymore. It's more depressing than anything and the characters are not really that likeable. I like Lauren Graham but the character of Sarah is so annoying. Same thing with Dax Shepard and Craig T. Nelson. Kristina always looks like she's on the verge of having a breakdown, no matter what is going on. Camille is so underused, half the time I forget she's even there. Julia and Joel and just meh. They could probably be replaced by any two actors and it wouldn't make much of a difference. The only characters that are even mildly entertaining are Adam and all the kids. Sorry Parenthood. I wish things could've been different. It's not you, it me. Wait... ok, it's you. Good luck.

October 20, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Emily

I'm amost with you on the Seth/Sarah thing... almost. But having a great of experience with people w/ addiction problems, actually having Sarah be involved might actually be the key to his working through this the "right" way, this time. But.... on the flip side... either sloppy writing, or a set-up seems in order. The language Seth used when talking to the kids (and Sarah talking to everyone else... but I'll talk about that in a sec) was really self-absorbed, and basically devoid of responsibility acceptance. "We can do this. Together... as a family..." No. YOU have to do this. With their support, but it's YOUR problem, and it must be YOUR work, and YOUR solution. But to be devil's advocate; the language of an addict can be very self-absorbed for a very long time. So... again. Sloppy writing (if they truly want Seth to get better) or a set-up (i.e. he's going to implode AGAIN and blame EVERYONE else for their lack of adaquate support...)... Sarah is almost as big a problem as Seth. At least in my opinion. Everything is about her. She tries to make it about her kids, but really it's always about her and her drama. I find her annoying and weak. I think she might have a wounded-bird problem. But... to be devil's advoc. again.... she and seth have been an item since they were kids... so.... maybe this is all just about co-dependence. People do eventually growup. Maybe Sarah will, too?

October 20, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  5. remy

its the same plot ovr and over again, it can be recited verbatim without benefit of the tvguide
    altho the cast is first rate the overall writing is monotonous

zeek yells
    camille sighs
    kristina rolls her eyes
    crosby whines
    sarah double talks
    haddie keeps getting screwed over from her parents

wow just like that I wrote next week's episode

October 20, 2011 at 6:51 am | Report abuse |
  6. michele

i just hope that people give this show a chance and watch it. i believe that if they did,they would enjoy what parenthood has to offer – realistic stories, good acting and a sense of humor to carry the characters through life. thanks for blogging on parenthood – i want it to get lots of word of mouth, because i would like for the show to conitnue.

October 20, 2011 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |