Harry Belafonte looks asleep live on air
October 18th, 2011

Harry Belafonte looks asleep live on air

Harry Belafonte is such an elegant, dignified and well-respected star that we can't help but feel a little ashamed for giggling at this clip of the actor.

A video is flying around the Web showing Belafonte fast asleep meditating during what was supposed to be a live interview with a Bakersfield, California, television station. Update, 3:58 p.m.: According to Belafonte's rep, the actor wasn't sleeping, he was meditating.

The rep says in a statement, “After weeks of literally hundreds of interviews promoting his HBO documentary, memoir and CD, Mr. Belafonte had an early morning satellite TV tour this past Friday. True to form, there was a technical glitch in the feed to a local station in Bakersfield, California. His earpiece wasn’t working, so he decided to take the time to meditate before the rest of his Day-O. Mr. Belafonte is 84 years young, but sharper and more awake than most who have been interviewing him. Maybe the world would be a better place if more people took a moment to meditate.”

It seemed at first that daylight may have come a bit early for Belafonte (and he wanna go home) as he joined KBAK to promote his new memoir "My Song." When they threw to the 84-year-old singer and actor, he was on set, but unresponsive.

"Wake up, wake up," the anchor tried to prompt Belafonte. "This is your wake-up call."

To be fair, the morning crew pointed out that the octogenarian may have been tuckered out from multiple interviews.

1. Poetry

Wonderful goods from you, man. I've bear in mind your stuff previous to and you are simply too magnificent. I really like what you've bought here, really like what you're saying and the way in which in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still care for to keep it wise. I can't wait to read much more from you. That is actually a tremendous web site.

August 26, 2012 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Areenao Elsere

Great goods from you, man. I've understand your stuff previous to and you are just extremely great. I actually like what you have acquired here, certainly like what you're stating and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it wise. I can't wait to read much more from you. This is really a wonderful web site.

July 12, 2012 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
  3. fall asleep fast

hello!,I love your writing very a lot! percentage we communicate extra about your article on AOL? I require an expert on this space to resolve my problem. Maybe that is you! Looking ahead to see you.

April 5, 2012 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  4. Sleep disorder clinic jackson tn

Anti snoring and also the with heavy snoring usually takes huge cost in relationships as each partner ultimately ends up fighting to have sufficient sleep. Deficiency of snooze results in …Narcolepsy

January 29, 2012 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  5. hillbilleter

Is this Fox News? If all these yellow journalists have to do is to point out someone's grandfather's physical frailties on national television, then why should we watch? Do you expect this venerable elder to come back at your next invitation? Good luck, rude news readers.

October 26, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  6. rize

He was just meditating how he could have topped his "banana boat song". A long vacation at a Siberian gulag would have done the trick and trigger his comeback.

October 24, 2011 at 3:35 am | Report abuse |
  7. Pat

Maybe if I make it to 84 I can take a meditation nap before some inane interview as well. The tv "journalists' were tacky in my book. He deserved more respect than their inane babble, but sadly, that passes for news today.

October 21, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  8. Joseph

This guy is a racist jerk!!!

October 20, 2011 at 1:56 am | Report abuse |
  9. Scot McKinstry

This is why you donkeys should edit your live feed on a monitor first, then when you make a "live connection," then engage broadcast. If I were the station manager, there would be suspensions and terminations. This man broke down a lot of barriers and set musical trends. The news casters should be apologizing rather than justify their behavior. This is another fine example of how manners are becoming a thing of the past.

October 20, 2011 at 1:55 am | Report abuse |
    • hillbilleter

I agree wholeheartedly! News readers are just byte collectors, anymore. They're sidetracked by sparkly bits and like to point fingers without actually having any meat in their offerings. Oh, for the days when journalists were pithy and gave no opinions about what they were reporting, leaving it to the audience to make up their minds how they felt about events.

October 26, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  10. PeteM

Who really gives a crap about this useless old Commie has been has to say? His irrelevant in today's news. Just go away Bellyfonty, you had your day centuries ago!

October 19, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Wes

Lets face it,some of these news anchors could put anyone to sleep. Go HB

October 19, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  12. jokr8790

I heard the interviewer was an airhead who simply bored Belafonte into going to sleep.

October 19, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  13. dude

He was probably dreaming of more racist rants that he could share with the public. Oh, that's right, you can't be black and be a racist. "roll eyes"

October 19, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • whatever stupid

To deal with racist, it seems you have to become one....

October 19, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jack Mehoff

Old Harry.....an angry, bigoted anti-American fool. Do us a favor, go to sleep permanently.

October 19, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  15. codfish

Yes he is quite a great humanitarian, he also went to Venzuala and met with Hugo Chavez and condemed the United States.

October 19, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  16. rc33

A tired, angry, bitter old fool.
    I'd put the odds at zero that clown wasn't fast asleep.
    He looked deceased, if you ask me.

October 19, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  17. Dan

Belafonte is a rascist communist who doesn't deserve to live in our great country

October 19, 2011 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  18. Zanna

Mr. Belafonte criticizes African Americans who don't act the way he thinks they should. Just because he is in his 80's doesn't give him the right to dictate how a man should be. He is offended by Herman Cain? Well, I'm offended that he has judged Mr. Cain so quickly without learning all the facts, without speaking to Mr. Cain. Belafonte is a self serving, conceited, righteous loudmouth who is more concerned with pushing his own agenda than he is concerned about the American people and their rights. Shame on him. Day OH!

October 19, 2011 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
    • hillbilleter

??..."I'm offended that he has judged Mr. Cain so quickly without learning all the facts, without speaking to Mr. Cain." ??
      And you are judging Belefonte in the exact same manner, using many more schoolyard epithets, by the way. Maybe it okay for you, but not for anyone else?

October 26, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  19. ed

what the hell he has done, not a good actor,not a good director, not even a good singer,
    oh yes ,,novelty song DAY-O but also Stan Freberg

October 19, 2011 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  20. jico

CNN is pathetic–are there any journalist left at CNN or just empty-headed Barbies and Kens–a mile wide and an inch deep.

October 19, 2011 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  21. Natalie Reyes

@floramae do you mean like the hell that broke loose here about Mr.Belafonte? You're an idiot.

October 19, 2011 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  22. James Murphy

Well p c not,maybe your alias should be Christian Not.

October 19, 2011 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  23. floramae

Sure a lot of people in here that say if you don't like old man harry, your a racist, you people are full of it, I can say harry is an @$$$ if I please and it doesn't matter what color he is and he is just an old commie, that had a couple of hit songs,50 years ago, his politics suck,I guess it's alright as long as a black calls another black an uncle tom, but let a white man call him that, all hell breaks loose. So peeps STFU.

October 19, 2011 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
  24. pcnot

The only time this man gives me an impression of any intelligence at all is when he appears to be unconsciouse.

October 19, 2011 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
  25. Tamera Watkins

Goodness so much interest in this topic the man's an elder,what happened to showing some respect.We are doomed as a Country.

October 19, 2011 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
  26. Jake

He wasn't sleeping, he was just resting his eyes.....LMAO

October 19, 2011 at 4:03 am | Report abuse |
  27. DJ

"....an empty cab pulls up to the CNN studio; and out step Bill Maher, Harry B., Michael Moore and Jeremiah Wright..."

October 19, 2011 at 1:04 am | Report abuse |
  28. Lo Code

In the 60's my Mom worked at an airport. Mr. Belafonte came through with a very young woman whom he claimed was his cousin. She was no more than 13 or 14. She had no papers, ID, anything. When he was informed that she wasn't going to be able to enter Canada with him, he threw a hissy fit and broke some bottles of booze that he was bringing in with him. As it turned out the girl was scared of him and didn't want to be with him (and certainly wasn't his cousin), and she was flown back to her hometown. None of this was reported at the time, and Mr. Belafonte was darned lucky he didn't get arrested.

October 18, 2011 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
  29. patricia

he is still a fine looking man he can sing to me any time

October 18, 2011 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Bill

The news media used to be low class. It is now NO CLASS. And I am including all forms TV, radio, newpaper, internet, etc.

October 18, 2011 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  31. gat

gotta remember that one....hey boss i wasn't sleeping, i was just meditating

October 18, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Conservative because I think

Mr. Cain is a great example of the American dream. He worked himself through college, climbed several corporate ladders to the top, has been in leadership in his church and has had a successful long-term marriage and does not look at the world through the paradigm of color. It speaks to Belafontes' utter lack of character to racially attack another black man for racial reasons so i don't feel sorry ifor him if someone cracks a joke when the geezer passes out in public.

October 18, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Chris Mooney

Day oh! Dayyyy ohhh! NAP time come and me wanna go home... (alright, everybody sing!)

October 18, 2011 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Edward Bess

It was indeed FUNNY, But Harry can't do any wrong in my book. He's one of our last hero's of the 60's.

October 18, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Skiptom'lou

The idiots–especially those producing the program–are making fun of Mr. Belafonte - should be taken off the air. His so-called unresponsive actions was not necessarily do to his AGE. How many of them have technical malfunctions. His earpiece WAS NOT FUNCTIONING! What would have him do–sit there and pick his nose and/or his ass. This crew should be fired. End of story.

October 18, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Steve the incontinent racehorse

I think he needs a hit off the proverbial crack pipe to wake him up!

October 18, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Avery Scott

RACIST

October 18, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  38. kasey

BS. Why else would he have sat there "meditating" while the interview was supposed to be going on. What a load. It's okay, Harry. You're 84. We'll forgive you.

October 18, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Methadras

Harry B is a marxist and he is not alone with other black actors and singers. Danny Glover is a committed marxist. Morgan Freeman is a committed marxist. There is an entire theology behind this. It's called black liberation theology and it's basically religious marxism.

October 18, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kenai

Most of LOLLYWOOD is marxist, I think it's something in the water out there....
      Needless to say, his recent rants about the Tea party make me ...not respect him anymore. I can't help but wonder, if all these actors love communism so much, why don't any of them move to communist country's?
      Funny how none of them like America, yet none of them want to leave. Huh, who knew?

October 18, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Mony

Most of you a**holes won't make it to his age because somebody will probably kill you first.

October 18, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Joe

He's a complete wack job....I think he's related to Randy Quaid.

October 18, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Lanfear

When I meditate at my desk at work... I do it with my eyes open! I bet he was sleeping... or who knows.

October 18, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Rafael

Meditating? Yeah. Right.

October 18, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Concerned

Hey, wait till you get 84 and see how you are doing? As well as him, I hope. He and all aging persons who have contributed to this country should be given respect. I think that the newsteam did nothing to protect him; and I really don't like that.

October 18, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Donald in CA

Harry Belafonte is a true american icon, and he can sleep, doze, or mediatate anytime he wants to. Whats the big deal, the man is 85 years old, writing books and still being a worrior for human rights and the poor.

October 18, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  46. SirJohn

It surreal, but when I watch CNN I do the same too. And I am not meditating….

October 18, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Butch Seaman

nothing good to say about his individual ... very bad politics he is in favor of

October 18, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Sleepy

Rude and unprofessional. That's the behavior of many of our people in this nation.

October 18, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  49. daveil

Right, he was just meditating. Maybe he was communing with his ancestors or communicating via ESP to space aliens. Whatever story they want to make up, huh?

October 18, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  50. road runner

Harry is a jerk, politically, socially, and otherwise

October 18, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Unknown

That is a crazy coincidence, he was on the the Colbert Report not too long ago.

October 18, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  52. MAX

PHUC THIS TIRED ASH OLD MAN

October 18, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Carol

I think Mr. Belafonte was meditating. When you sleep you slump forward, sidewards or backwards, esp. older people. He is sitting straight up. The news have shown congressman and senators catching a few min. of sleep when they were bored in the capitol, they were all ages. When you meditate you are concentrating, and hear as of a distance. If you are asleep and someone calls your name you are instantly awake. I know my Dad in his 80's always was.

October 18, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • kasey

Maybe that's been your experience, but not mine. My FIL sits in his chair just like Belafonte, with eyes closed but otherwise looking awake. My husband, even, can be sitting up with his finger on the remote button or cell phone. Looks like he's awake, and I often have to get up close and check to see if he's sleeping. Sometimes a snore tips me off. I think he was sleeping, personally, but so what! He's old, and it's understandable.

October 18, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Roy

Obviously, these people are morons. The only thing he has is an earpiece to hear them and a camera crew in front of him. Clearly, the camera crew in the room is ALSO ASLEEP, because they didn't know an interview had started and couldn't hear anything either.

If he had been moving around they would have put their thinking caps on and declared technical difficulties (aka, we screwed up and don't know what we're doing).

October 18, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Mr. X

What an old fool. Belafonte is a teabagging Nazi! Sleep forever, fool!

October 18, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • skinsfan

You're an IDIOT!. Belafonta is as far left as you can go. He is 180 degrees from the Teaparty. What a moron. Try keeping up with what's going on in the world. And until you do, stop commenting and making yourself look like and IDIOT!!

October 18, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  56. carolyn

hay hun when your tired your just tired my hubby dose it all the time but heck your still a goodlooking man i love watching you all on tv so keep up the the good work your good fan im disable but im hanging in there

October 18, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  57. jja

HAHAHAHA – that old divisive race baiter and racist (yep sorry, true) – maybe he can do commercials for Serta or Sealy mattresses, now?? Maybe No-Doze??? HAHAHAHA

October 18, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  58. meggie

I think this clip has far less to say about Harry Belafonte and more to say about the incredibly unprofessional news readers.
    If you want to know what is wrong with today's TV media, here it is on display. Shame on all of them.

October 18, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • skinsfan

Yes, how dare CNN say or show anything bad about a radical, left wing commie like Harry Belafonte. Don't they know you can only do that to conservatives?

October 18, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • kasey

LOL, skinsfan. So true.

October 18, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Murphy

Shame CNN. Your lack of respect for a man who is light years above you makes you an embarrassment. People get tired. People get old. Grow up and exercise an ounce of respect. What will you be doing when you're 84? I can confidently predict that none of you will be in front of a camera.

October 18, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  60. skinsfan

He must have been watch the Lame stream medial covering the so-call grass roots occupy Wall Street coverage. Real grass roots when you pay protesters $600 a week to be there? These people want everything to be free. The TEA PARTY just wants people to be free. Big difference. Instead of protesting Wall Street, try protesting OBAMA and his failed policies.

October 18, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marina

blah blah blah blah Stop the blabbering and get some facts, not your misguided emotions, before you post next time. Turn off the right/wrong wing radio OPINION shows.................... You sound ignorant.....

October 18, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  61. the_dude

When I am 84 my pants will fall down and I wouldn't notice.

October 18, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Ali

Harry is great. he is a living history. he liberated South Africa. He didn't fall asleep, but he was out of mind ti think how to liberate America from selfish bad guys

October 18, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • skinsfan

You mean those selfish people who worked hard and became successful? How dare they! They should wine and complain about not getting their 'Fare Share' when they are unwilling to take a minimum wage job and demand that the government take money from others to support them no matter how hard they work or don't. This is the land of opportunity not the land of guarenteed results. Get of you butt and get a job and work your way up like the rest of us. You don't get to start at the top.

October 18, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  63. augustghost

HE'S A THOUSAND YEARS OLD..WHAT DO YOU EXPECT

October 18, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  64. notogop

These are some of the most unprofessional news people I've ever had the misfortune to see. They must had studied their craft under the tutelage of "Fox and Friends".

October 18, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Abdullahi Farah

84 year guy who still entertains people it's wrong to make negative comments on his meditation to find solution for confused America.

October 18, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Jilly

After showing him "napping", why was it necessary for this video to run any longer with these annoying newscasters, especially that woman. Rachel Ray wanna be :)

October 18, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Midwest Brice

Lighten up my liberal friends. It was funny and was not disrespectful. You only seem have a sense of humor when you are listening to idiots like Bill Maher.

October 18, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  68. zturner

Belafonte is a loser. He made a fool of himself when he made those nasty comments about Cain. He doesnt even know the guy and tries to make him look bad when all he is doing is making himself look bad. He needs to shutty, because people dont give a rip what that he is saying!

October 18, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  69. alfonds

I recommend that this guy apologize to Bush (the son) before he goes to sleep forever.

October 18, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sheriff

For what? How about if bush (the 'son') apologize to the American people? Now that would be a good start...

October 18, 2011 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Sasha

He's 84 years old and giving 3:43 am interviews - yes, that the time in NYC where he is during this interview.

May we all be so lucky!

October 18, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Bill from VA

Elegant & dignified – just another idiot entertainer that thinks they have wisdom because they have talent. I think he is a self absorbed moron. But I did like some of his music.

October 18, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Unselfish Meme

Oh " an elegant, dignified and well-respected star" OH... what hasskissery.

Yeah, you elegant, dignified and well-respected "star" puts down other African Americans when they speak the truth so they can wake up.

C'mon.

October 18, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Willie12345

He never was very sharp.

October 18, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  74. frankie b

no wonder he is saying more racist remarks– too old
    He needs to retire to Cuba

October 18, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  75. raymundo flores s.

Some liver malfunctions take people to sudden sleep

October 18, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Bellaphony

Hearing the garbage that has been coming out of his mouth the past few years, I think Mr. Bellafonte went to sleep a long time ago. It's just that nobody told him and he didn"t wake up. He is past his prime and it is long past his time. Just go away Harry, baby!

October 18, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  77. CSDS

An elegant, dignified, Marxist whose vision for his home country closely resembles the failed Soviet state. But then, he is old.

October 18, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Davy cricket

That lady's voice is irritating as hell, couldnt they get a better anchor woman?

October 18, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Rob

Seriously who can stay awake with the inane blabber that makes up news shows....

October 18, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  80. James

If I were the interviewer, I wouldn't be so quick to smear this story all over the landscape. He probably bored poor Mr. Belafonte to sleep.

October 18, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Kathy

I use anchors voices to fall asleep all the time.

October 18, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Klan Man Sam

HE SHOWING US WHAT HE'LL LOOK LIKE WHEN HE'S DEAD

October 18, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Roger Ogilivy Thornhill

Hello? 84 year old men don't sleep sitting up with arms crossed. Belafonte was snubbing the Oakies on the Bakersfield station. He didn't want to talk to the people in Rush Limbaugh worshipping capitol of California. to Mr. Belafonte. The jokes on them. :)

October 18, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Brer

ROFLMAO

October 18, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  85. BC

yep, the value of the internet, some rocket techno scanning the internet to correct grammar and the like to make his / herself feel important, yes smart. Ah who ami kidding it's a guy. Women are not that stupid. Who cares, like him being tired "your" was a tyop. Get ....zzzzz.....it. oops there I go again...snoozing off in the middle of this important discussion. Oh wait Jerry Springer is back. Have to go.

October 18, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Chip

This story is about nothing more than unprofessionalism in the media.
    – The producer who didn't bother to check and see if Belafonte was ready before they cut to hm
    – The anchors who laughed and humuliated him on-air
    – The writers of this story for which the headline continues to read "falls asleep live on air"
    Shame on ALL of them.

October 18, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Amy

God, I hope when I'm 84 no one gives me crap for falling asleep at unexpected times (outside of driving a car/operating heavy machinery)....

October 18, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  88. sharry

Racists need sleep too!

October 18, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  89. toleen

CNN please monitor the comments on this story. Many are not following the your Rules of Conduct. Thank you

October 18, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Jeff

Tell me again why it was news when this senile old quack made fun of Herman Cain last week?

Put him in a home or put him down.

October 18, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sheriff

Cain is a senile old quack? Although I do agree cain is senile and full of it, I never really thought of him as 'old' before....

October 18, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  91. BC

To the young and younger, what does "old" or age have to do with being tired? Please stop with the give him a break he's old lines...the man was tir............zzzzz......ed...oops sorry i snoozed off for a moment. Yes this is the value of the internet.

October 18, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  92. watchman5

Shame on you for airing this CNN. He is elderly and deserves our respect. This country needs to renew respect for the elderly. They are assets not objects of ridicule.

October 18, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Susan

They should be ashamed of themselves. I'd like to see them at 84. They probably wont live that long. That was just mean and disrespectful!

October 18, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  94. watchman5

Shame on you CNN. He is elderly and deserves our respect.

October 18, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • joe

u r right. CNN did not have to pick up this story. they r getting very desperate. which is why i watch MSNBC more often then CNN.

ABC in the end though released this story. I hate abc LOCAL news here in NYC!

October 18, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  95. joe

u must remember ABC News as well as Fox dont like the man, and just at a chance to pick on this 84yr old activist.
    this is a local station and ABC KBAK did N O T have to make this go beyond this news cast.

PIGS ABC IS.

October 18, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Winston846

What's the big deal? Ronald Reagan used to fall asleep at summit meetings.

October 18, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  97. vatoloke

Reminds me of Dick Cheney, but Liberal.

October 18, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Lean6

I'm no fan of Belafonte...at least the opinionated loud mouth side of him. He's one of those guys whose only source of relevance is tied to the MLK Civil Rights era, very outspoken against every prominent African American except the likes of Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, or the professor Cornell West. It's time for his generation to fade away. There are still battles to be fought on the civil rights front for sure, but these guys represent weapons from the wrong era. Really? You mean you couldn't shut your mouth long enough or find a constructive way to support the first African American President of the United States. Jesse Jackson and his Fox hot mic sealed the deal for me on Belafonte's type. They've got nothing to say that I want to hear because they speak with forked tongues. At least we know a little about Belefonte's excuse...maybe he's been asleep for the last 40 years!

October 18, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  99. toleen

Where was the producer of this live show. He should have cut to a commercial immediately. To keep the camera on Mr Belafonte is absurd, with the three disrespectful anchors in the background with grade school remarks.

Someone in the other studio should have cut the feed and ran over to him to check to make sure he was indeed sleeping/meditating.

October 18, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Andre Thegiant

Harry is an America hater. I could care less if he falls asleep and falls off the chair.

October 18, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  101. wisdom4u2

That is such BS! He is not asleep! There is no way a sleeping person could keep their arms folded the way Harry's is (with no support of the other arm)! So, just stop with the insults!

October 18, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  102. anon

NO, many of us WON'T give him a break just because he is 84 now. He has spent his whole life being mean, nasty, and vile to those who don't agree with his liberal agenda, and now just because he is old we are all supposed to back off. He deserves any and all grief he gets. He's reaping what he has sown which is a whole lot of nasty.

October 18, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Bukoo

ATTENTION: HARRY WAS NOT ASLEEP...HE WAS JUST CHECKING HIS EYELIDS FOR HOLES. This is the excuse my dad would give my mom when she would catch him dozing off. Hope you guys like it.

October 18, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Nicola

You should be ashamed for even reporting this.

October 18, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  105. Blushing slightly

Nice strike through, CNN.

October 18, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Mr. Data

That was the very best interveiw I have ever seen with Belafonte. He's such an arrogant, elitist jerk when he speaks.

October 18, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Phil

Heman Cain put a whammy on him for talking trash, ha!

October 18, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Dave

That's because he work all night on a drink of rum...

October 18, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  109. jones

He's bored in life. Give him SIRI phone so he can marry her.

October 18, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Dean

Day-o...............................

October 18, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Devara

Slow news day?

October 18, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  112. Johnnie

That's OK. I fell asleep while watching it.

October 18, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Judy Jetson

I'm sure he has a sense of humor and can laugh at himself. I say give him a break, there are plenty of times when I've had to force myself to stay awake in a meeting at work. :-) Maybe he was just plain tired. :-)

October 18, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  114. Joli

This old fart is a socallist pig. Why would anyone want to interview him anyway.

October 18, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  115. phearis

So what??? The man is 84 years old.

October 18, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Binky

Just like his hero Obama – "asleep on the job"!

October 18, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • phearis

oh geez-us...... yeah, because the Tea-Bagging GOPers are completely blameless. *rolls eyes*

October 18, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  117. truthfl1

"joining us LIVE? Is Harry Belefonte"

LIVE? HE'S BEEN BRAIN DEAD FOR 60 YEARS!!!. LOL, NO – KILLING MYSELF LAUGHING!

October 18, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  118. JuzClownin

All politics aside, Harry Belafonte is a great entertainer and a loving, kind person. My generation grew up on his music. If you just watch his guest appearance on the Muppet Show during the 80s, you simply cannot say anything bad about this guy.

October 18, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Casondrah

Lmao

October 18, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  120. nuser

It might be narcolepsy.

October 18, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Ruth

I love a good nap.

October 18, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  122. Kenny

At the age of 84, he has earned the right to meditate / sleep whenever he so chooses. What a great man he is, even when sleeping / meditating.

October 18, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Lambo

That old bag should sleep more. The arrogance that he displayed telling american blacks what is and what is not good for them.

October 18, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  124. Dagwood

We went to the Meyerhoff Synphony Hall in Baltimore to see a performance by Belefonte thinking of hearing all his music which to this day I still enjoy, however the "majority" of his performance was political. I didn't pay to hear him rant about Mandella and South Africa, many patrons walked out or never came back after intermission.......

October 18, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  125. Jerry

Would you believe this is the idiotic fool that criticized presidential candidate and Republican frontrunner Herman Cain? This obscure idiot will do anything to make our clueless president look good and try and turn the Black community against Mr. Cain. Mr. Belafunt keep on on sleeping. You and your ilk are gonna get a rude awakening come 2012!

October 18, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Norm

Oh Jerry.........Obama is getting a second term.
      If you can't handle that then just a take a rope up to the attic and get it over with.
      Ignorant Teahadist inbred.

October 18, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  126. marcia

Bless his heart. He is an incredible man and artist. Cut him some slack. Back off dimwit new medias! Let's talk about something important like.....how come all our jobs are in China.

October 18, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  127. NorCalMojo

They trot this senile old fool out every time they want someone to identify a successful black man as an uncle tom.

This week it's Cain's turn apparently.

October 18, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  128. shocky shah

He need to be laying off the rum man.

October 18, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  129. Isaac

To all haters....you just can not stand when people come from abroad and be successfull in the USA

October 18, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Binky

Duh...... Belafonte was born in New York. And coming from "abroad" means coming from Europe.

October 18, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  130. V. P.

What's so d... funny. Mr Belafonte is 84, most of us probably won't even live to be his age. I have much love and respect for the man. Reporters please get a life, sometimes (most times) what you think is so funny really IS NOT!!!

October 18, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  131. The Trend

The ratings probably went up.

October 18, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  132. Charles

The announcer sounds a lot like Rachel Ray doesn't she??

October 18, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  133. Kristin

Good God! He's 84! Cut him some slack!!

October 18, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  134. anonymous

Take this stupid clip of the air. This is not about his politics. Belafonte is a global icon and its not fair to remember him like this

October 18, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • truthfl1

Don't worry, he will be remembered for what he was, an angry, hateful, disrespectful, racist, ignorant, rat.

October 18, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • JuzClownin

There is absolutely nothing hateful or bigoted about Harry Belafonte. He simply spoke the truth about the injustices that did and still do exist. YOU sound very hateful, actually...

October 18, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  135. truthfl1

Elegant? Dignified? Well-respected?
    He is the exact opposite. People lost respect for him because of his racist, hateful remarks toward too many people.
    Thought the snake died years ago, now he surfaces to criticize Cain. What goes around comes around, Belefonte.

Hillary Clinton and other Dignitaries wouldn't even acknowledge him at a ceremony a few yrs ago because of his hateful, bigoted remarks. Elegant- hardly. Dignified- he has no dignity. Well-respected? He lost that yrs ago.

October 18, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  136. sargeanton

Actually, Harry has been asleep for the past fifty years.

October 18, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  137. Slater Smith

Divisive? Yeah – in the same way Ali was when objecting to a Vietnam war when blacks did not have basic human rights in their own country. Take a second and do a little research before you deign to critique – though I doubt you'd bother (you know who talking to) since you were likely never comfortable with people like Harry B. being successful in the first place. The nerve.

October 18, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  138. sarge

Actually, Harry has been asleep for the past fifty years.

October 18, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  139. NorCalMojo

It serves them right for pointing a camera at him. The man lost it years ago.

October 18, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  140. Mystic

Funny how nobody - not even the story - mentioned the young girl who had also fallen asleep waiting for her interview (at the end of the clip). Clearly this news program is just that boring.

October 18, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  141. Alex Winter

The media sucks for making fun of a talented 84 year old who happened to be tired.

October 18, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  142. REALLY!

Actually, Harry's been asleep for the past fifty years.

October 18, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  143. Shawn

This was nothing. So what, he was sleeping.

October 18, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  144. Flat Footed Nomad

maybe the ear piece wasn't working – stupid of them to keep laughing. just a little chuckle and then move on. who cares?

October 18, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  145. REALLY!

Actually, Harry has been asleep for the last fifty years.

October 18, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  146. Litterboxrox

I once fell asleep in the Burger King drive through. (Yes, I was completely sober. I just had a job that started at 4am.)

October 18, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  147. trigtwit-America's favorite tard baby

Like.

October 18, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  148. CJ Topspin

Awesome. Dude is like...I'm 84, I'm gonna take a nap right now if you don't mind. I'm impressed the could do it sitting with no head rest.

October 18, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  149. Bob P

What a handsome old black guy. Signed ... Old white guy.

October 18, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  150. Mike The American

If you say give him a break, he's 84, should they be interviewing 84 year olds?

October 18, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  151. CmonNow11

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA CNN, thats just the best story I have seen all year – right up there with the article (with video) you published a couple of months ago about an 80 year old woman tripping and falling...

How is this news??? What are we supposed to do with this information??

October 18, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  152. @MaryContrary

Stop being a kiss a**

October 18, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  153. Yowzir

I grew up listening to his music, specifically his album from Carnegie Hall. My kids also listened to the same album. We love his music and his voice. I realize he is a person with opinions and thoughts, but in his case, I disagree with nearly everything that comes out of his mouth. He was a wonderful performer, but we part ways when he is off stage. I, too, am surprised that the news station decided to air this. I would have thought that someone would have given him a "heads-up" when it was near his interview time, but I guess they saw him sleeping and thought this would be "funny." I'm going to guess he won't be coming back.

October 18, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mystic

You either know very little about his life or are a pretty objectionable human being if you disagree with "nearly everything" he does off the stage. Fighting for civil rights, fighting against apartheid, raising money for starving children, working to free impoverished people all over the Earth.....Yea, these really are horrible things you are proud to be against.

October 18, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  154. Perplexed

@aMom, you find fighting against apartheid, and for civil and human rights hateful and diversive? Please elaborate? I guess you think everyone should have taken Herman Cain's stance and just sat in the back of the bus – quietly.

October 18, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  155. Bill

To saywhat –

saywhat??
    I hope your only kidding

Do you mean 'You're or You Are?' 'Your' means something else in English.

October 18, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  156. xman51

Yeah he is a racist. I guess that`s why he has been married to the same White woman for over fifty years. Guess he is one of those mixed up racist that`s actually color blind.

October 18, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  157. Jim in Florida

Saradon calls the Pope a Nazi and not a word on the CNN website, yet they run this nonsense. Guess Belafonte isn't on the Hollywood Protected by the Liberal Media list.

October 18, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marina

CNN hasn't covered the pope story? You're either an idiot or blind or both.

October 18, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  158. carrie

He is a very hateful guy and I have no respect for him at all!

October 18, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • pm

I know Carrie...because you are white and a racist. I am a liberal and don't agree with a lot of what he says but I cna respect that he has lived a very different life than me and I haven't walked in his shoes so i don't hate him for what he believes.

October 18, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  159. Harry Who?

He's done, put a fork in him...

October 18, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  160. Sweet2th

Say what you will about Harry Belafonte but he looks pretty good for 84.

October 18, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  161. JAMESLA5120@YAHOO.COM

How sad is it that you cast judgement on a man who has lived a life like his? At 84, I wonder how many of you will be able to travel across the country into and out of different timezones and still be able to function and speak as eloquent as he. Regardless of his political views, the producer and the news team were obviously desperate for a news story that they would go that far for ratings. Someone was determined to make a spectacle of him so that a few racist idiots can use it to spew their hatred. Shame on the TV station and all of the "God fearing Americans" who choose to spew their racist hatred in their posting. It is amazing that we have stooped this low to vilify an elderly person who is just plain tired.

October 18, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  162. xman51

It`s his right as an American to disagree with any polocies of any particular administration. Where do you people get this idea of everyone has to agree with what you believe or think or they are not patriotic or American. It`s his right just like it is yours to spout your stupid crap so shut up and respect it. As for him falling asleep just remember what goes around comes around. Keep living you will get there hopefully and someone will be making fun of you and saying stupid remarks just like you.

October 18, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  163. Glades2

Embarrassing – well, at least they can't say he was camera shy (LOL)...

Still, the reporter (in her late 20s I'll guess) doesn't know what it's like to be 84 and up that early – not easy...

October 18, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  164. Bill

I think he is asleep most of the time, even when he is talking. He is a racist.

October 18, 2011 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carrie

I totally agree Bill, but us white people can not say that only black people can play the race card!

October 18, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  165. ChuckNY

Remember, this is the idiot who said that David Dinkins was the "best mayor New York City ever had!"

October 18, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  166. jj

Reagan, H.W. and W. Bush snoozed through their entire terms in the White House.

October 18, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  167. Pointless1

Sorry but that show could put anyone asleep................

October 18, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  168. Brian

It is funny, but really, Harry is on a dumb morning show. Wouldn't YOU fall asleep?

October 18, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  169. G, Alcivare

MR. BELAFONTE...WE LOVE YOUUUU...

October 18, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  170. Mike in SA

Based on some of his recent comments, Belafonte has apparently been asleep for the past 3 years.

October 18, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  171. Cheryl Thies-Steele

I love the legend that is Harry Belafonte, I will not ridicule him for being tired and falling asleep, he is 84 after all. If he's on tour, he's worn out! Perhaps there is a medical issue he's not mentioned to anyone. Harry Belafonte is one of the best entertainers of our generation & deserves our respect. I, personally, love his music.

October 18, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Deborah

When it comes to reporting stories that are worth reporting, it's the media who's asleep.

October 18, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  172. Cheryl Thies-Steele

I love the legend that is Harry Belafonte, I will not ridicule him for being tired and falling asleep, he is 84 after all. If he's on tour, he's worn out! Perhaps there is a medical issue he's not mentioned to anyone. Harry Belafonte is one of the be entertainers of our generation & deserves our respect. I, personally, love his music.

October 18, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  173. Timothy

I'm 45 and that show makes me doze off now and then.

October 18, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  174. skerray

I'm continually amazed by the racist, ignorant posts I see comenting on this and other articles here. It's often the same idiots posting. In this case, it's been said the a society can be measured by how we treat our elderly. It's obvious we have failed.

October 18, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  175. WalkLikeMan

C'mon guys, is that Harry's fault or your staff's fault that's local to Harry. They should have kept an eye on him in the first place to ensure he was not picking his nose when you went live. What was this? A set up. You media folks are a–#0l3s.

October 18, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  176. Hugh Hefners old wrinkled weenee

You know Harry was dreaming about tallywackers hitting him in the face.

October 18, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  177. adinim

You News Casters of Eyewitnes are not adult enough to reason out and because you are slopy you tried to make fun of him. He might have not your earphone and listened if you want to continue. He just get relaxed fo rhis own benefit not to your ego. bankrupt people at every media It is getting worst for your people and CNN as a whole

October 18, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  178. Craigers77

Apparently he also suffers from dementia. I have a seen a few of his interviews lately, and they are apparently from a person NOT of sound mind.

October 18, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  179. JohnRJ08

Book tours tire out 30 year olds. Belafonte has been doing a non-stop tour traveling night & day, putting up with the same cliche questions hour after hour. Maybe if these interviewers had given him more interesting questions he wouldn't have nodded off the way he did.

October 18, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  180. Thor

Could it be that he has worked all night for a drink a rum, waiting for the Tallyman to count da bannanna? I think daylight come and Harry wanna go home!

October 18, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  181. mae

The female anchor needs to change her top and look more professional before she starts to laugh at anyone!

October 18, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  182. Stone

FINALLY! Harry said something worth listening to.....

October 18, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  183. SkekLach

Looks like tallying bananas can produce the same effects as counting sheep... curious.

October 18, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  184. gratular

Imagine being so comfortable on camera that you can fall asleep with millions watching. I've always liked Harry Bellafonte after meeting him at a Conference on Prostate Cancer, which he is a spokesman for... He is truly a great American.. Well spoken, articulate and caring, yet dead serious with a wit and humor like none other.

October 18, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  185. Frank Smith

"...an elegant, dignified and well-respected star..."

By whom??? The libtard left??? What a freaking ridiculous statement. Every day the drive by media shows it true colors more and more ... and loses credibility with everyone.

October 18, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ness

Well by me for one. I'm only 32 but i have loved the music/movies of Harry since i was little. Calypso! is still one of my favorite albums. Say what you want about his politics and dislike him as is your choice. But to question the respect and love he has eraned over many years as an entertainer is petty.

October 18, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  186. JRich

Out of all of the things Harry Belafonte has done for social justice and for many classes and races, arts, humanities, race relations and the list goes on, this i what CNN decides is the most relelvant information to be released to it viewers. Epic fail on CNN's part.

Furthermore, at 84 he works harder to challenge injustices in this world than many of us can even imagine.

October 18, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  187. Danteg8son

I missed it because just the idea that Belafonte was going to be on the show put me to sleep.

October 18, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  188. BobJones

Nasty old America-hating liberal geezer. The media sure does love the guy, and that is very telling.

October 18, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  189. Jersey Schmersey

He is asleep when he's awake.

October 18, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  190. WLM

Aww leave the man, he is old. He has his opinions, and he is justifed feeling the way he feels since he was around when he couldnt go in the front door of an establishment because of the colour of his skin.

October 18, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stone

And now – I wouldn't allow him into my establishment because of the color of his heart....Black and shriveled.

October 18, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pravda

@Stone. Or should that be Stoner? Anyway – seems like you should be worrying about your own heart.

October 18, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  191. Riatal

the man is 84. he is tired. if he wants to knock out live on air, then dag-nabbit let him. Someone sing the man a lullaby!!

October 18, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  192. Eh

Kinda funny story, I give him a pass for being old.

The more concerning thing, though, are the comments about Belafonte as a person. Pretty ridiculous tinged with an ignorance to the things that Belafonte used his star power to fight for. Seems like some people are equating his fighting for the rights of people who were subjected to the most vile forms of racism as a bad thing. I, for one, am glad he took a stand for that even if it cost him money (which it did, a lot of).

People are so afraid to talk about race issues in this country it's ridiculous. Bring something up and you'll be accused of "race baiting" or "playing the race card".

But then I also understand it's hard to describe racism to people who invented it. Harsh but truth.

October 18, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • AMEN!

It's like people have amnesia..... or know nothing of Harry Belafonte except what they hear in the news. Considering how much they seem to hate the " liberal media" i gotta wonder why they would take any of it seriously?

October 18, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amen

The best comment yet!

October 18, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  193. JD

This guy had like 2 hit songs 60 years ago. Why is he being treated like royalty?

October 18, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rufus T. Firefly

Some of us have been saying the same thing about your precious Saint Ronald Reagan.

OK, white women were never exactly peeing their pants over Ronald Reagan.

You know, like they did over Harry. Just sayin'.

October 18, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  194. StopTheMadness

This story is about him falling asleep, not about politics keep your mouth shut if you don't have anything to say on him falling asleep. Some of us are tired of all the hate slander being spouted from both sides. Nothing gets accomplished by idiots spouting off about his beliefs just because they don't agree. I don't agree with any politician but you don't hear me badmouthing them. He is 84 years old and it was 6:30 in the morning. And quite frankly if the producer had been doing his job this would not be here.

October 18, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stone

Why should I shut up? And who are you to set the boundaries of this conversation? It may be an item about falling asleep TO YOU, but to many of us, its a telling sign of the intellectually lazy Tyrant loving racist who decries freedom loving people and wealthy people as "evil" while he hypocritically lives off the fat of his royalties. Harry is a bigot and even worse – a hypocrite bigot. And if YOU don't like it – Pound salt!

October 18, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pravda

@Stone. Talk about bend the story to suit your agenda. Bit early to be drinking isn't it?

October 18, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • dont be a sucker

Stone

S-P-O-T O-N

1 topic carries over into others, it's natural conversation...The Partisan Lovers will always try to silence each other

October 18, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gaston Feeblebunny

Stone, I think someone was trying to save you from making an a** of yourself.

Of COURSE you can run your stupid mouth all you want. This is AMERICA–that's pretty much EXPECTED of you.
      OK, especially the "stupid" part.

Someone was doing you a favor with the suggestion that you STFU.

October 18, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  195. frances glass

"Harry Belafonte is such an elegant, dignified and well-respected star that"

LMAO...good one. Bellafonte is just a nasty mean ole bigot. Calling Condi, Powell, Cain all Uncle Toms.

October 18, 2011 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  196. Trace

That's hilarious

October 18, 2011 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  197. boyamidumb

These people have no class. Typical of the new breed of "news" people.

Their mothers should be embarrassed by their childish behavior.

Sad.

October 18, 2011 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  198. Argle Bargle

He was just giving his opinion about the whole thing. Good for you, Harry! The nice thing about being old is that you can tell people the truth and not have to worry about the consequences.

October 18, 2011 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  199. MotoJB

Um, I think the career is over Harry...go home, eat a prune and take a nap.

October 18, 2011 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  200. Observer

He must have been listening to his own liberal blather. That will shut anyone's eyes in a big hurry.

October 18, 2011 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Mare

This has nothing to do with Harry, just wondering if ur name has anything to do with Fringe? as for Harry, well, not
      going to comment on his politics, i don't have to agree with him, but so what? The old guy was tired and probably up for hours to do a 2 minute interview, he zonked out, big whoop.

October 19, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  201. tictac

That's what he gets for calling Herman Cain "intelligently challenge" on the Joy Behar show. What goes around – comes around buddy! Oh yes I'm white so this is NOT a racist comment.

October 18, 2011 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  202. Stemme

It appears the old racist Libtard was plum tuckered out.

October 18, 2011 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Jason

You can bet the bank that anyone that uses the word "libtard" has the maturity of an 18 year old no matter their age.

October 18, 2011 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Numyorangay

Fell asleep after listening to Blackie Cain singing gospels.

October 18, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  203. ARGH

Brain-dead, grating-voiced, disrespectful strumpet of an anchor.

October 18, 2011 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Yolanda Squatpump

Um. "Strumpet?" I think that describes a female. When your IQ gets to room temperature–SELL, my friend. SELL.

October 18, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Johnson

you people are so hateful, and ironic.

October 18, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  204. citizenUSA

He must have thought it was, NIGHT-O!

October 18, 2011 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  205. JTRhodes

I don't think it's because he's old. This show is just a snooze fest.

October 18, 2011 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  206. SeattleMark952

Any political statements this guy makes about Herman Cain have got to be highly credible!

October 18, 2011 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  207. carruth

Good Ole Harry's been more than asleep lately based on some of his stupid Hugo Chavez comments he's been brain dead a lot longer.....

October 18, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  208. newt

"...we can't help but feel a little ashamed for giggling at this clip of the actor."?
    Sure you could. You did not have to publish this (especially since it is not news) and you could have thus spared yourselves the shame.

October 18, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
    • HUH!!!

Yo!!! Nimrods it is NEWS!!! and its under ENTERTAINMENT.. He is an ENTERTAINER so it made the ENTERTAINMENT!!!.
      section.. BTW if you didnt think it was news why did you click on it to read it. ya bunch of dummies !!!!

October 18, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  209. Joe

He just was reading Obama's books. What has he even ever done besides deyo.

October 18, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  210. 50s Housewife

He makes a lot more sense when he's asleep!

October 18, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  211. Funny

He has been brain dead for years......

October 18, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  212. Rafael

WHO CARES about this communist?

October 18, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Scot McKinstry

I hope someone says the same of you. Communist come from the word commune, which means to unite in thought or act, or to go along with the crowd. You seem to be communing with the crowd that bashes old people. I honestly hope you get the privilege of getting that old so someone can make fun of you, you communist!

October 20, 2011 at 2:08 am | Report abuse |
  213. Gary

He's an old man, give'em a break!

October 18, 2011 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  214. Jim Bortolotto

Deo Watch this video clip

October 18, 2011 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  215. George

C'mon! That is so unprofessional on the part of the anchor for making fun of Belafonte and the director in NYC! The director in NYC should have given Belafonte a :30 warning! Standard operating procedure folks!

October 18, 2011 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
    • pat

They did not give that on purpose, since they are paid NOT to show ALL the news they little else to report

October 18, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  216. Popcorn Papa

It was 6:43 in the morning? I think for an 84 year old that's considered a mid-day nap!

October 18, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  217. asdf

Why is this news? Leave the guy alone.

October 18, 2011 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Therrealthing

He wasn't sleeping. He was just resting his eyes for a few hours........get it?

October 18, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  218. Teapublican

Did he died?

October 18, 2011 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Chastiexy

You said "did he die?" I say, "did you?"

October 18, 2011 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Ian

Did he died?....
      Really, your grammar is a flawed as your politics!

October 18, 2011 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
    • amartups

Teapublican. No. Your brains are dead. But then, figured from your name, your are Tea party and Republican. No wonder.

October 18, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

He did, along with the oct-u-pied wall street group.

October 18, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Playjojo

Ohohohohahahaheeheehe (Wipe away tear here) Pretty much what one would expect from a teapub. Just too clever for words! Wait! Wait! You didn't add the ever popular, oh so adult, Oblama! That would have capped it off perfectly, and really got your point across. There was a point...right? Oh, and you're not original.

October 18, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guest

No,he aint not dieded

hesa full of lifesissus

October 18, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • happytam

All you holier-than-thou people bashing the "did he died" comment are just so ridiculous. You obviously don't know that "did he died?" is a common internet phrase used in forums and blogs all around the world. It is meant as a joke and I'm sure the poster is well aware of the grammatical inaccuracy. IMHO, it was hi-larious. I lol'ed. Get over yourselves. Why don't you use all that learnin' you got to try and get a sense of humor....

October 18, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Phil

What kind of grammer is that, Tea Bagger !!!

October 18, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • The POPE

LIveleaker ? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

October 18, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leeeroy Jenkins

No, he's in ur fridge eatin ur foodz.

October 18, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tard

"What kind of grammer is that, Tea Bagger !!!" — Phil

Phil's Glass house, meet Phil's stones.

October 18, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  219. Timbo

Sure he isn't dead?

October 18, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
    • hk

To the people who ridicule this remarkable man.

Wait to see until you reached his age and travel all over for his book promotion, interviews at 84! I think he is doing quit well!

October 18, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • pat

He is soooo alive to be able to say the Truth about Cain!!!

October 18, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  220. Mike in NYC

C'mon, give the guy a break. He's old!!!!!!! I mean really ... my grandfather falls asleep at the dinner table all the time. lol

October 18, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
    • StuffDaddy

I wonder who the bigot is Barnaby Jones... I really wonder..

October 18, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • dont be a sucker

stuffdaddy

spare us the b.s....Harry basically said that people like Herman Cain and Colin Powell weren't "Black Enough"

October 18, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • anna

Well if he cant stay awake he should stay at home.

What an idiot.

October 18, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • idiotsmacker

some people would rather try to fight through fatigue to satisfy commitments. Maybe he's not an idiot. Maybe he's just not lazy.

October 18, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • R S

I'm a grandparent, and I have never fallen asleep at the dinner table, never!

October 18, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  221. Jen

Well he's 84 give him a break.

October 18, 2011 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
    • aMom

Right on Andrea. Harry plays likeable characters and has a great voice but his politics are divisive and just plain hateful.

October 18, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leaf on the Wind

@GT66, humiliated? I believe Mr. Belafonte has a better sense of humor than that. He's probably laughing along with us. Bsides, at his age, he's earned the right to nap whenever and wherever he wants.

October 18, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thor

Andrea.... ever work in da field? Ever have da bannana sap all over you? Got bit by da ants and da scorpion? For twenty cent a day? No? Me neither. I'm so fortunate to live in America where we can say what the hell we want and not get beat up or imprisoned for it. Glad to see you are exercising your freedoms too.

October 18, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anomic Office Drone

Oh, Andrea. People like you are absurd. If you don't like what he has to say in his personal life then vote with your wallet. He owes you nothing. His fans bought his albums to hear his music and tickets to see him perform. That's exactly what they got, and that's all he owed anyone.

The sane people will be enjoying his music and respecting his right to hold his own opinions, regardless of whether or not we agree with him.

October 18, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tony

Wow Andrea, you wrote that entire novel just because she said cut an 84 year old a break? I hate to think what you would have said to her if she claimed to actually like him.

October 18, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • john doe

Belafonte is a commi and Chavez supporter so who cares what he does or doesn't do!

October 18, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • dave

.... Like the one he gave Herman Cain? He is an ungrateful, bitter old man.

October 18, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • JINBY

WE ALL WILL DO THE SAME THING WHEN WE GET HIS AGE, WE JUST WON'T BE ON TV. HE WAS ONE OF THE MOST BEAUTIFUL MEN IN THE WORLD.

October 18, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • StuffDaddy

Andrea Brownstain Mishel, I love Harry's politics.. I think he makes this country better and better. I like that here in America, we can have free will and criticize our country and make it better! If you don't like people's politics, you conservatives should go to Russia where there is no free will. LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT!
      Cheers!

October 18, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Howard

"we can't help but feel a little ashamed for giggling at this clip of the actor."

But not ashamed enough to say to yourselves, "Ya know, this is just an unwarranted insult to an elderly man. Let's not run it."

October 18, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • duece96

R U kidding me! News anchors are so disrespectful! This is an absolute shame. Really!? Have some class people...

October 18, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dennis Pence

Elegant, dignified and well- respected in the Liberal community. We have many politicians who are in the same state and while he was sleeping, they simply walk around in a stupor. Everyone else is requested to "retire" in their mid to late 60's – but not politicians – seems like they get "smarter" as they get older. Forgive me "smart and politician" is an oxymoron.

October 18, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • nancheska

my sentiments exactly!

October 18, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • nancheska

Did the anchor sing "Daaaaay-o?" (just funnin'!)

October 18, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • MaryContrary

@Leaf on the Wind Thank you for extending MR. Belafonte the common (or not so common these days) courtesy of addressing him as Mr. Belafonte and not Harry. I was appalled at the tv anchor that kept calling him Harry. It showed tremendous disrespect. And politics aside, people need to bring back the practice of younger people not addressing their elders by their first names unless specifically allowed by the "elder". And no, I'm no old fuddy duddy. Just someone with manners.

October 18, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robert Figueroa

It was the best interview he ever gave.

October 18, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brad76

Poor guy, leave him alone.

October 18, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Res

Exactly

October 18, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Norm

Must be really hard to justify a paycheck for these journalist hacks.
      Why don't you go down to the park and wait for a two year old to fall off a swing.
      It seems that's the limit of your reporting skils.

October 18, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Y Miami

More than likely, he has suffered a TIA, a slight stroke. He needs to be checked out by a doctor.

October 18, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dr Juan

I had considered commenting on this subject, but ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

October 18, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • JimAR

Well, 50 years from now, everyone will remember Harry Belafonte. No one will remember any of the three anchor stooges. Actually, I don't remember their names today.

October 18, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ladislav Nemec Big Bear California

If I live another 7 years to reach 84, I will be happy to fall asleep and wake up all the time – except while driving. Give the guy a break! Although I think he has a good sense of humor unlike this jerk, the 'publicist'. Meditating, my foot.

October 18, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bubba

He's earned it. Half the people posting here seem to be sleepwalkers anyway.

October 18, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • tman

ah hello this is old news this happen last week do i need to refresh my browser ?

October 18, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • pat

What are you trying to do CNN??? Humiliate Bellafonte for saying the truth about Caine? How much money did you take for this article from the republicans?

October 18, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • thethruth

YEP, and he needs to get his old tail somewhere and sit down!

October 18, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • chuck

Believe me! If he had opened his mouth, the whole viewing audience would have fallen to sleep.

October 18, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Christopher

@Anomic Office Drone

Exactamundo. This article is more on the side of comic relief. It holds no judgement of any ideology. But age is a factor; individuals will pounce on whatever social distinction is present.

Remember everyone, Belafonte is of another generation. Not too distant of one, in terms of actual geological time, but society has most definitely changed in the last century. For the better, in my opinion, and hopefully everyone's (though how much and how far will always be up for discussion amongst us all).

This man has seen a lot in his life, and we all say and do ignorant things. I have never met him or had a frank talk with the man, therefore, I can never comment on him as a person. Doing so is silly, and, when in a more important article, takes away from the real discussions that can take place in the Comments section.

October 18, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Roger Ogilivy Thornhill

Hello? 84 year old men don't sleep sitting up with arms crossed. Belafonte was snubbing the Okies on the Bakersfield station. He didn't want to talk to the people in Rush Limbaugh-worshipping capitol of California. Applause to Mr. Belafonte. The joke's on them. :)

October 18, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • cecile

The man is tired let him sleep!

October 18, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • LKJ

That's exactly what I was going to say.

October 18, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shaquera

Bunch of butt-wipes. He's 84. I'd take a nap anywhere I damn well please!!!!!!

October 18, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Zombieh8

Well put Jen. I've sat with my parents and they constantly fall asleep at all times of the day. It's just an old person thing. I'm personally jealous I can't fall asleep whenever, wherever I want; I'm sure I'd feel a lot more rested....

October 18, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • c

84 and still a stud.

October 18, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Roger Ogilivy Thornhill

I've been falling asleep 'anytime, anywhere' since my 20's. What's the big deal? Heh – Mr. Belafonte must have ruffled some chicken hawk feathers. :)

October 18, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • ED BOOGIE

Damn he's old but in better shape than these 20 yr. olds who drink and smoke cigarettes. I say it has to be the devil's spirit to constantly talk knock and regress a good man when he is bothering no one ! Harry will out live all of us in this bumboklaat generation seen ?

October 18, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Louis

He did not look like he was "sleeping". He appears to be meditating. You can tell the difference, but those that do not meditate would not recognize that. Look as his posture. He's in the zone. :)

October 18, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • R S

OMG – what I heard was he was meditating. Perhaps the mike was not working properly. The man is older, older – so leave him alone. Glad the young lady interviewer liked his book. Perhaps she should learn to behave more appropriately on screen.

October 18, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • rana lee

I have been in love with Harry Belafonte since age 16, and I will soon be 75. If he dozed off, who cares. He is a great man who wants freedom for all peoples.

October 18, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • pamela kobusch

meditators sit upright, shoulders comfortably back, head up, eyes shut. just like mr. belafonte. fall asleep upright and your head falls forward, jaw slackens, shoulders droop and there is usually a lot of jerking your head up as you catch yourself dozing. it seems clear to me he was, indeed, meditating. p.s. cnn you should feel a little ashamed. let tmz own these kind of stories.

October 18, 2011 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • mollyd

He's an American icon......he's getting old.......shame on this reporting of this non-news......it is insulting at the very least.

October 19, 2011 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Hollywood Reporter

Coolest Rock Stars of all time are?

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyrEUWFxIOQ&w=640&h=390]

October 19, 2011 at 5:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Adele Anderson

I'm 73, and on behalf of Mr. Belafonte and other elders everywhere (if they'll allow me) I must tell you all who are not there yet–it's not old age that causes the drifting off to sleep. Old age medications are pumped into elders whether they want/need them or not. Almost every medication will put a person to sleep, as well as cause a few other conditions not spoken of. Back in my day, everyone was in love with Mr. Belafonte and his new singing style. So wonderful!

October 19, 2011 at 6:51 am | Report abuse |
    • alio

You bet I'll leave him alone. He's become the biggest bigot on earth. At one time, many years ago when he sang his songs and kept his nose out of politics, I thought he was great. But now he thinks we care about his political opinion, and with his hatred, I don't want to hear any of it. He's not an American and has no right to condemn us. He's buds to all the Communist guys in Cuba & So. America. So Harry, go to Venzuela and leave us alone, with your racist hatred.

October 19, 2011 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Avi

Belefonte was the tap-dancing little femme who called Colin Powell an 'Uncle Tom'....what Irony !

October 19, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paul

He was just trying to remember the lyrics to the Banana Boat Song. Dayyyy O, Dayyyyy O. Twilight Come and I wanna go home!

October 21, 2011 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  222. NeoSHNIK

That's very nice. Thanks for sharing!

October 18, 2011 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  223. saywhat??

I hope your only kidding

October 18, 2011 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  224. Deborah

I agree with you. Is the news media desperate for anything?

October 18, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  225. Bill

Do you mean 'You're or You Are?' 'Your' means something else in English.

October 18, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  226. Lookkee!

an unemployed grammar teacher!

October 18, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |