Chris Martin: Kanye's changing how we listen to music
October 18th, 2011

Chris Martin: Kanye's changing how we listen to music

Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin follow the celebrity code of silence when it comes to their marriage - good luck spotting them on the red carpet together - but they've recently been a bit more open.

Paltrow explained to Elle earlier this year, that Martin "makes music for his fans, and he doesn’t want people to conjure a lame famous couple when they’re getting into his music...I get it.”

And Martin himself, who met Paltrow in 2002 and wed the Oscar winner in 2003, told CBS Sunday Morning that this is the one serious relationship he's been in.

"Right, I'm in it," he said. "It's weird... It is a big leap....From being a loser to going out with an Oscar winner? It's a giant leap. It's like winning the lottery. I was happy to make it."

But that doesn't mean he wants to keep talking about it. "We're still just trying to keep that whole thing quiet," Martin said. "Well, up till now."

The dad of two also opened up to BBC 1 about Coldplay's album "Mylo Xyloto," which has already had a leak: the track "Princess of China" featuring Rihanna.

To those who don't get where that collaboration came from, Martin said, "Don't you think that music now shouldn't fall into a particular box? I don't think anyone thinks like that anymore. You don't see many goths, hippies, rockers and hip hoppers anymore. People like Kanye [West] are changing the way we all listen and the Internet."

For example, he continues, "Look at Tinie Tempah. Just the song 'Pass Out' has about eight different music types in it."

As Martin told MTV in September, "at this point, [Coldplay has] nothing to lose." If you've heard the leak, what do you think?

"Mylo Xyloto" drops October 24.

Filed under: Celebrities • Gwyneth Paltrow • Music

« Previous entry
  1. Susan Logue

Gwenyth Paltrow is a really good cook. She offered a super simple healty idea of chopped Kale with a touch of Olive oil roasted int he oven served as chips. It's one of the most wonderfully yummy, healthy things anyone can make for a snack.

It's not rocket science, but I never would have thought to do it and I'm addicted to them! Thanks!!

October 18, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  2. troll fail

Who are you trying to fool with your "female" aliases, "jessica," "beth," and "ann??"

We know you're the same person.

October 18, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  3. teddy

"pedro'

He really is. When he comes on the radio I turn it off. Then it is real quiet music"

-He's one of the reasons why I don't put on the radio!

October 18, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Amourae

Cracka who gives a phuck?

October 18, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Dood

"You don't see many goths, hippies, rockers and hip hoppers anymore."

Not at your shows you don't. They're all at good concerts.

October 18, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Dood

Kanye's invented a new way of listening to music? This is great news for deaf folks! They can finally hear Kanye's musi- ... oh, wait...

October 18, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  7. MalyK

Honestly some of you are f'etarded.....what the heck does Kanyw West being black have to do with his music-why is it ghetto? It's ignorant to say. Kanye has evolved as an artist and he has influenced and worked with plenty of other artists popular/or not, commercial or not. Get real.

October 18, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Hip Hop Smurf

Before, we used to listen to music with our ears. Now we just use our Twitters.

October 18, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Pliny

This one is too easy to even comment on.

Let's just say it's nice to see that Portal-Potty and Traci are not here.
    Maybe god answered my prayers and they both got hit by a bus.

October 18, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  10. jj

Must be why I don't listen to radio anymore. Long live the ipod. That's change I can live with!

October 18, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Godsmack

You want to call that music? Please..

October 18, 2011 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  12. Phil

Kanye is more than just a rhymer. Before he was a rapper he produced some of the best hip hop albums of all time. All of Jay-Z's success can be contributed to Kanye. All of Kayne's albums he does all of the producing and writing and makes his own beats. He's what we call a musical genius, and if anyone read George Bush's book he said the worst moment of his presidential career was not 911 not the war in Iraq but when kayne was on live television and said "George Bush doesn't care about black people." Not too bad for a young black kid from southside Chicago if you ask me.

October 18, 2011 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
    • clarkie

you're right phil. he's one of the last living ARTISTS who truly innovates with every album. have none of you all listened to My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy or even bothered to watch Runaway (even though the acting is terrible)? just forget about the jerk behind the music and listen to what he can convey musically, then worry about how nice he is or isn't.

October 18, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  13. ann

Am not. Am not hostile. I bet you are a nazi racist, Boo. Plus you scared me with your ghost halloween name. Ghost say Boo to scare everyone. You intollerant nazi.

October 18, 2011 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  14. A real Boo

To all above he is funny and you're hostile.

October 18, 2011 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  15. beth

I call him kan booo instead of kan yaaaay. He is a dumbhead.

October 18, 2011 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  16. beth

I agree with you jessica. Kanboo rubs doooodie on his skin as a moistureizer.

October 18, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  17. jessica

Kanye doesnt even make music. He just rhymes. Rhyming about ghetto stuff is too easy.

October 18, 2011 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
    • portalpunk

I'm the getto blaster
      A master of disaster
      I tip my ho cup and toke my blow pipe
      the po-po run me out, but ill be back like the moon
      rapping my getto rhymes and singin in tune.

October 18, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  18. pedro'

He really is. When he comes on the radio I turn it off. Then it is real quiet music.

October 18, 2011 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |