October 17th, 2011

'The Walking Dead' returns at the top of its game

The first 25 (commercial-free) minutes of Sunday's "The Walking Dead" premiere should've wiped away any lingering reservations about the AMC show.

Having escaped from the CDC, our survivors found themselves on a highway stopped by many, many cars on the road, most with dead drivers.

Before long, as one might expect, the walkers came.

This was one of the most pulse-pounding sequences of the series so far, as many of them were forced to hide underneath the cars. T-Dog ran to safety with a bloody hand as Andrea hid in the bathroom of the RV, only to be menaced by a walker on the other side of the door.

Everyone managed to survive but Sophia, who moved out from underneath a car early and was chased into the woods by walkers.

Rick was able to save her from them, but she went missing in the process. Several tense scenes were created when a larger group ventured out to find her, including one in a church, where three more walkers were dispatched.

In the church, Carol and Rick each prayed, while Andrea – who'd been denied her own gun and built resentment against the rest of the group – overheard a conversation between Shane and Lori. It's unclear if she put it together that they'd had an affair, but she did suggest to Shane that she wanted to separate from the group with him.

Then there was the beautifully shot, quiet scene between Carl and a deer (reminiscent of the series pilot) that was cut short by a bullet, which hit the deer and seemed to hit Carl as well. But where did the gunshot come from? And, of course, what will happen to Carl and Sophia?

This episode was the last one written by Frank Darabont, who is no longer running the show, so it remains to be seen if that had any effect.

Regardless of that, this new season had an incredible start, and I'm definitely on board to see where it goes.

What did you think of the premiere? Share your view on iReport, or comment below.

1. Melissa

Two things annoyed me about this episode: one, they seemed surprised when the zombies showed up. Personally, I think if I saw what appeared to be a bizarre accident scene in the middle of a deserted stretch of highway, I might think the zombies had been involved and therefore around. Second, will somebody discipline that little boy? He keeps on insisting on acting on his own or talking while they are on the hunt for the little girl; I'm pretty sure if I were in the situation and worried about attracting the attention of the zombies, one of the main things I would be teaching that kid is how to follow orders since, again, the safety of the whole group must be considered. While I understand that this is written to build the story, it ends up irritating me and making me less inclined to watch the show.

One final thing – ditch the crappy autos people!

October 18, 2011 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
  2. tracie

I would like for that cop to sit on my face.

October 18, 2011 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  3. be quiet

Can a zombie bite Lori, already? She has to be the most annoying character on TV.

Also, does anyone else notice how Andrew Lincoln's real accent comes out whenever he is in the middle of some intense dialogue?

October 17, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Allen W

Agree with you Mike – first half hour was great and I'll watch again but the loooong dialogue sessions can bore one to death and simply would not occur in reality. As a Veteran trained in guerilla warfare and survival tactics you'd simply would revert to survival of the fittest when facing an apocalyptic time and you wouldn't risk the entire herd for one wandering member – Post show survey = 99% would not have searched for the strayed child yet made for TV is prophetic and self righteous in the face of extermination I don't think so – let the Mother go track her own child without risking the entire community survival. HBO would've handled this very different – but that script reflective old time made for TV and not reality of the end of the world survival situation.

October 17, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Allen W

Ok – I see the focus is BRAIN centered at CDC but the engine to the Brain and the rest of the body is the heart muscle. How cold one possibly work without the other – can any brain operate independent of one's heart? Doesn't seem possible even in a comic book. Without the heart feeding the body they do not work thus the zombies would have no strength whatsoever – the brain sends signals but limbs cannot move without blood flow. As a heart patient I know this firsthand. The coma time for transition to Zombie seems the zombie would be left with a dead heart unable to feed the body extremities.

October 17, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mike

I thought the first half hour was terrific and full of suspense...unfortunately this was only a 60 minute episode stretched into a 90 minute time slot...the addition of way too many commericals in the last hour ruined the flow that the story had achieved. But I'm so glad The Walking Dead is back...we'll have to see how the rest of the season goes without Mr. Darabont.

October 17, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Allen W

This was my first time viewing five episodes before the debut of season 2 and seen together you see this common thread of preachiness time fillers common with made for tv art. They need HBO's budget and skills to improve this. Concept doesn't make alot of sense – it seems that first of all the zombies should be blind based upon CDC brain scans and that they should deteriorate and die off in a relative short period and they'd be so stupid with no frontal lobe or right/left brain activity. Go into hiding long enough and they should simply die off for goodness sakes. Find an Island, stock it, kill off your threats and you have your new World as they can't swim and brainless to follow in water craft!

October 17, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Allen W

I really enjoyed the show but at the same time it had too many preachy lulls as if they were simply wasted minutes filled with speaches and prayers to pay the sponsors – sure praying in the Church when the end of the world is at hand and no rescue? One of the problems with made for TV is having to fill time with time wasting unrealistic self righteous dialogue. That episode cut down to 60 minutes as 30 of the 90 were wasted fluff and people shooting the sheite. Half Kudo's – it could be so much better!

October 17, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Starfire

I'm the saddest cuz i hate every1. i troll peeps 4 no reason 2 hurt they feelings ..i'm sad girl :(

October 17, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Rachel

I love the show! I got a little distracted with school work so I didn't watch it with my full attention but I plan on doing so sometime this week.

October 17, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mike

I thought it was great.......yea there were sappy moments that took too long, but the overall suspense was great. Hopefully they keep the action going strong. Great alternative to the typical drama and comedy shows....thanks for keeping it different.

October 17, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Pliny

WAY too many commercials. Hopefully, that'll change when they go back to the 1-hour format.

Why did Darabont leave the show?

October 17, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nikki

The idiots at AMC fired him...probably over money. They decreased their budget too but increased the budget for Mad Men which is one of the most boring shows I've ever seen. I say they should kiss and make up with Darabont because the man is a genius.

October 17, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Devon

Great season opener! The freeway/walked herd scene was taunt and gripping. I've been waiting all year for this and loved watching all of the shows again earlier in the day. "Days gone by" (the pilot) is one of the best shows I have ever seen on TV. Acting, dialogue, music, and especially the performance of the black actor who played the dad (don't remember his name) This man should win an Emmy award for best acting! His indecision regarding putting down his wife was heartbreaking. Great acting on his part. Great background music.

October 17, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rick

Devon-
      The actor's name is Lennie James. I agree. He is a fantastic actor. He also played a great part on the short lived series – Jericho. Check him out if you can find re-runs of the show.

October 17, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Rick

Great start, but WAY too many commercials. Absolutely will watch the rest of the season, but only through DVR.

October 17, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Crystal

OH HOW I HAD MISSED Norman Reedus and his crossbow! Good premiere. So can't wait to see what happens next.

October 17, 2011 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  16. xdougx

This show is so boring. Too many overly-dramatic scenes. I'm done.

October 17, 2011 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
    • richard

Show was great, mouth was open at the end about the dear scene and shooting the boy...wow. good job starting out

October 17, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Mac

A lot of my friends thought the same thing. The graphic novel series is the same though. The focus (at least in the graphic novels) isn't hack and slash zombies. It's how people change in situations and react differently.

October 17, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • xdougx

Deer scene was lame, as well as the rest. I mean c'mon we had to sit through not one, but two prayers to the Jesus figure and then cuts to commercials. All I have to say is F you walking dead. The show sucks and always has. The only reason I watched it was as a fan of horror and zombie movies, but it really is bad, boring, cliche, and uncreative.

October 17, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lycidas

such angry little nobodies on here..lighten up, it's tv

October 17, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |