A 'Community' episode for all time
October 14th, 2011

A 'Community' episode for all time

To say that Thursday night's "Community" was the most impressive half hour of television this season is a severe understatement.

The episode started off simply, with the study group attending Troy and Abed's housewarming party, but when the time came for someone to be chosen to go downstairs to get the pizza, Jeff decided to roll Yahtzee dice to determine who had to go. Abed pointed out that he was creating six different timelines, and that's where the fun began.

For example, when Annie got the pizza, Troy found a gun in her purse; a gun which went off and shot Pierce in the timeline where Troy got the pizza (things got really bad here, as Troy's absence also ended up starting a fire).

Also, in each timeline, Britta tried to sing along with "Roxanne" on the radio, only to be stopped by Jeff. When Abed stopped Jeff from rolling the dice and told him that he had devised a system where he didn't have to get the pizza, Jeff was forced to head downstairs. So, finally, Britta got to sing "Roxanne" and everyone had a great time. (I like to think that this is the "real" timeline.)

Despite the seven timelines, some things remain the same, as Abed pointed out: "Annie will always be driven, Shirley will always be giving, Pierce will never apologize, Britta's sort of a wildcard from my perspective and Jeff will forever remain a conniving son of a b--."

Best (or worst) of all, though, was the next-to-last scene, where we saw the results of the Troy-gets-the-pizza timeline, with Pierce dead, Jeff missing an arm, Annie committed and Troy having lost his larynx. So, naturally, Abed suggested that they all don goatees made out of construction paper, to become the evil versions of themselves.

And then, next thing you know, (in the "real" timeline?) Abed seemed to sense...a disturbance in the Force, shall we say, and all was back to normal.

It was another example of the anything-goes storytelling this show does so well. I just hope that the rumors that this show might go the way of "Arrested Development" are unfounded.

Were you as blown away as I was by Thursday's episode? Share your view on iReport or comment below.

1. Claire

Community is the only reason I tune into NBC... the rest of their shows suck!

November 15, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  2. alter_ego

This is such a brilliant comedy! I hate that it's so under appreciated.

October 17, 2011 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  3. Bonsaso

This is the most underrated show on tv. Hilarious. I appreciated last night's episode for its orginality, but my favorite so far this season has been the Model UN show. Last season's dungeon and dragons episode was excellent that they did it almost only sitting around the table. The paintball episode was another great one and the all school blanket tents were hilarious. I LOVE this show. My favorite right now.

October 15, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Amy

this episode proved why Community is the best show on tv right now.

October 15, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jeff

I agree wholeheartedly! It breaks my heart that more people watch WHITNEY! Community deserves the slot after The Office. It's way better than Whitney. Anyway, like others, I was concerned about this season until this episode. It's fully of Community-brilliance! Even the first few lines, revealing that this episode actually pre-dates the past one! Love it! I must say that Parks and Rec is leading the NBC comedy pack, but I'm glad Community can still hold its own.

October 14, 2011 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  6. @observer

Would u go back to fox.

October 14, 2011 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Rebecca M

"Community" is genus, and needs to stay on the air for at least six seasons and a movie. ;)

October 14, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Loren

Did not watch the first year, thinking that it was just another NBC Thursday night comedy. From another timeline it is. The show out-geeks Big Bang Theory, because while Big Bang is about geeks and has geeks talking, Community is by geeks and is a geekfest. Great show last night.

October 14, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Observer

Liberal garbage. Why is this show still on?

October 14, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ken

Now that is a stupid comment par excellence! Good job, Observer. You suck.

December 30, 2011 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  10. margarita mixxe

LOVED it! I hope the show is not cancelled, it really is so funny and different.

October 14, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Katie

So blown away by this episode! I was worried about season 3 but now I know it's all good :)

October 14, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  12. emm jay

You too Good Portalpunk. We hope your weekend will be the best.

October 14, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |