Watch: Glenn Close as ‘Albert Nobbs’
October 13th, 2011

Watch: Glenn Close as ‘Albert Nobbs’

It’s been a while since Glenn Close has had a true starring role on film, and even longer since she had a role worthy of her talent. But it looks like things may change for the five-time Oscar-nominated actress.

The first trailer has just been released for her long awaited passion project, “Albert Nobbs.” Close plays the title character, a 19th-century Englishwoman who poses as a man in order to work at a posh hotel in a male-dominated Ireland, but who is also desperate to leave behind "the false life she has created for herself."

The trailer belongs to Close, but others actors appearing in the film are “Alice in Wonderland” star Mia Wasikowska, Janet McTeer, Jonathan Rhys Meyers and Aaron Johnson.

Close first starred in an off-Broadway production of “Nobbs” back in 1982, and has been trying ever since to get it onto the screen. With Oscar season in full swing, Close should get another shot at the coveted award when nominations  are announced in late January.

Post by:
Filed under: Trailer Park

1. Spence

Looks like a Yentl Rip Off. At least Yentl was entertaining.

December 8, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  2. olivergant

Great actress – and VERY weird movie....... story had potential but the "cunning" lead (Glen Close) ended up seeming clueless, weak and stupid.....Since when does a woman dressing up in men's garb (most females do nowadays) also mean you have to be attracted to women? (right, only when the dresser upper actually is gay)......The naivete of Glen Close role did not seem believable at all to me – only rather ignorant and thoroughly stupid. COULD have been a great movie.......

December 4, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  3. solarsun

she looks very strange and looks like she hasn't eatn.

December 1, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Guest

So wait
    Izit a man or woman?

December 1, 2011 at 6:26 am | Report abuse |
  5. R2

Here is a thought for all of those people who make stupid childish remarks about looks etc. I bet you don't have the balls to post your real names when you make those comments do ya? It's real easy to be so negative when you cower at home behind your computer screens. Glenn Close is one of the best actresses there is and it's a shame many of you can only comment on her looks, which is done on purpose for a film, by the way. It's really amazing how shallow people in the U.S. are nowadays. Grow up people!

November 29, 2011 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
  6. Barbara Darlin

I thought that was a Red Button's photo!

November 23, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  7. throkmorton

April fool! this is Robin Williams nanoo nanoo

November 22, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Margaret

what guts to do something like this...your amazing glenn.

November 22, 2011 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  9. lroy

After some research, I definitely will watch it at some point, perhaps the DVD. I love period pieces. But in the reality of it, I do have a couple of issues...I mean there are certain feminine aspects that one simply can't avoid such as what to do for menstrual periods and the lack of facial hair (I know no man who doesn't have at least the slightest amount of whiskers). And such a person has to be absolutely sure she won't get pregnant.

November 18, 2011 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  10. lroy

Many years ago, I read an article in National Geographic where a woman (I think it was in Iran) who had no male relatives so had to dress and function as a man.
    So apparently this "can" happen in real life, unfortunately. That's what happens when us women has to play a man's game (and that's just SO not right).

November 18, 2011 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  11. erica

I thought that was Bruce Jenner.

October 14, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  12. shbugg2000

Offofdonor150 is absolutely right. I can not wait to see this performance. I love how she isn't afraid to bare her physical weaknesses to create her characters. Close is an absolutely amazing actor and this story is compelling. You go Glenn!

October 14, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Offofdonor150

This movie looks like it will be amazing, more like a modern Victor/Victoria than Yentl. The cast looks great, and I'm not sure that another famous older female would be as great a fit as Glenn Close (Meryl Streep, Julie Andrews..) I will def go and see this in theaters.

October 14, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  14. hop sing

ROH RY GOD!! She scrary! I wuh make u speshruhl rish but doo doo crimb back up insride. RUN A-RAAAAYY!!!

October 14, 2011 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  15. Kookla Fran and Ollie

Just look at that face...UGH!! Ladies, if you are not a lipstick lesbean the see your fate.

October 14, 2011 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  16. Zimm

Wow, I totally thought that was Conan O'Brien...even after I read the article and saw who it really was, I still didn't believe it...makes you wonder doesn't it? Tilda Swinton too....

October 13, 2011 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
  17. thetechnocrat

Chad hit the nail on the head
    btw, she's pretty gross.

October 13, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Chad

She looks like Conan O'Brian.

October 13, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  19. David

What is weird is that Glenn Close looks like a tiny Robin Williams.

October 13, 2011 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • amyg

what's even weirder is that Glen Close played a man in "Hook" which starred Robin Williams. She was the pirate that got thrown in the boo-box.

November 30, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  20. TJ

I love Glen Close but the trailer reminds me of the movie "Yentl".

October 13, 2011 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • kc

Exactly Yentl, rip off!

October 14, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • lroy

She looks Irish in that picture (the video has been cancelled). As far as a woman pretending to be a man, you forgot Victor Victoria and Tootsie? Glenn is old enough to be my mother (too old). Would love to know the real story.

November 18, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Evel Knievel

That ain't no woman, it's a man.

October 13, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  22. mr ed

O I have to c this It makes me rise up and think of my secret desire-chaz bono

October 13, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  23. frances glasses

Thats the ugliest man I ever did see. Reminds me of Michael Jackons corpse.

October 13, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Malavaina

You agree with everybody else that you are a MORON, don't you?

December 8, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  24. cosmotologist to the stars

She is almost 2000 years old.

October 13, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  25. portalpunk

FIRSTY!!!!! i rule

October 13, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pliny

DOUCHY!!!

You are a pathetic looser.

October 14, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bugal

I would watch Glenn Close in anything, a remarkable actress....

November 19, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • ur clueless n classless

I see some ignorant children have made their predictable and uniformed remarks..sad, don't you have play stations to occupy your time?
      Glenn Close is a remarkable actress, and I would wager she is nominated for an academy award on this one. Wait and see. : )

November 21, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anthony Byrd

Oh Lord I have seen the movie I live in Berlin Germany and it is..........damn good not a joke . Wait and pay your $ 10 or what
      every it cost now days. Enjoy it .

November 28, 2011 at 3:17 am | Report abuse |
    • retphxfire

So only pretty people are star worthy? You are either 12 years old or are a very sad adult. She is as attractive as any Hollywood 'dreamgirl' without their makeup and an incredible actress. Let's look at the male side...Danny DeVito is a real heartthrob, Arnold is scary looking...get the picture??? sheesh

November 28, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |