Is baseball ruining your TV viewing life?
October 13th, 2011

Is baseball ruining your TV viewing life?

Just when "X Factor" viewers thought they were maybe going to see the inside of Paula Abdul's house, baseball got in the way.

A two-hour rain delay for Wednesday night's American League Championship game meant Simon Cowell and Co. got the boot from their 8 p.m. time slot. That canceled two-hour "X Factor" episode will now air tonight at 8 p.m. (unless there's a rain delay for tonight's game, but let's not focus on that for now).

To play catch-up, the episode intended to air tonight has been rescheduled for Sunday at 8 p.m....as long as there isn't a game seven. If everything goes according to plan, the third part of the "judges' home" round will air next Tuesday night at 8 p.m. ET.

Yes, that means no "Glee," and no "Raising Hope," either. Those two shows, along with Fox's freshman hit "New Girl," have been put on hold until November to make room for both baseball and extended editions of "X Factor" on Fox's programming schedule.

According to Entertainment Weekly, producers have said that they're so pleased with the footage they taped at the judges' various locations, they've extended those episodes to two hours.

So, we ask you: Is baseball getting in the way of your TV viewing life?

Filed under: Fall TV • Glee • television • X Factor

1. Hahaha

Lol @ the baseball fans getting all defensive. It's true that this sport is boring and the little or no teamwork makes it worst. Other sports like football, basketball, soccer, and hell even Nascar have teamwork. (For the ignoramus, the team help make sure the car works properly) And baseball is only more recent while singing/music has been here since men appeared on earth and will be here until we all die out.

October 15, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  2. StarsOwl1

I know Simon Cowell is LOVING baseball right now.

GUARANTEED.

Go Rangers!

October 14, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Hepdadep

Baseball > some bad singer and washed up has beens making fun of him while some other singer wins because they the first wet dream of a million teenagers

October 14, 2011 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  4. DD

I haven't given a flying **** about MLB since the last players' strike. But I don't give a **** about the stuff on network TV, either.

October 14, 2011 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
    • am dur wah wah

And yet you not only read the article, which pertains exclusively to baseball and commercial broadcast TV (most of the TV you watch is on a network; you're referring specifically to networks that broadcast over the air), but you felt the need to comment on it as well. Why?

October 14, 2011 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  5. Caitlin

The answer is yes. I was ready to watch the X-Factor, but then baseball had to go over. And I just got into Glee and am therefore rather annoyed at having to wait until November for the next new episode, especially since this next episode is the one where the Glee Project winner is first appearing.

October 14, 2011 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
    • tfbuckfutter

Everything you just said makes me sad for you.

October 14, 2011 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
    • am dur wah wah

If you just got into Glee, why not try watching earlier episodes? There are two whole seasons filled with nothing but episodes.

October 14, 2011 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
  6. Bob Saget

So what is up with these gay people getting married?

October 13, 2011 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
  7. kevin2321

Whats a matter with people, baseball is one of are greatest past times. You x factor people make me SICK TO MY STOMACH!!!!!!

October 13, 2011 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jim in Omaha

Sounds like X Factor is interfering with TV viewing. Football interferes with a lot more TV than baseball does. There should be more baseball, in fact, during the regular season.

October 13, 2011 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  9. John

No. Baseball is finally giving me something to watch between 7 and 11 p.m.

October 13, 2011 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
  10. harry

Educate myself on baseball? Stupid comment from a grunt LOL.. I know its difficult for you to understand that people that have something more than a GED... can understand the game of baseball. its not hard.. nor impressive. ball, bat.. bases.. a minimum of strategy.. MINIMUM.... and (some credit) great natural talent.. for players.. they do afterall hit balls at high speeds. but its not exciting.. I think it would be better if they let all the guys juice up... but really. I just dont care for it on TV,,, Its personal opinion folks... I dont have to like it either.. dosent make me a bad guy.. just not my cup o tea.. But.. it still is fun to listen to idiots rant.. so keep it up...

October 13, 2011 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • tfbuckfutter

So it requires in-depth analysis and an advanced degree to understand X-Factor?

I can assure you that, while you may THINK you understand baseball, you probably couldn't explain the in-field fly rule, or why it exists. And that is rudimentary.

October 13, 2011 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • am dur wah wah

We understand that your opinion is you don't like baseball. We also understand you don't like your father, your life or grammar and punctuation; you like bills, chores and watching glue dry in a wood shop. Maybe Fox isn't all that interested in your specific viewership.

And your PeeWee Herman rubber/glue argument belies the fact that you resorted to irrelevant projection in your first post.

October 14, 2011 at 12:59 am | Report abuse |
  11. Harry

Hmm More important things...

Mortgage.. <-–Paid.
    Car/Boat/Condo <-–Paid.
    Household bills <--Paid.
    Grass Mowed.. Chores done...
    Ooo Worked a full day 8+ hours...

Baseball game on TV.. (could give a crap)
    Spending my time while I wait for some glue to dry in my woodshop on my current project.... Worth it.. Its not that I have an empty life.. Mine is most likely much better than yours.... I do like to point out.. that sports fanatics are easy prey to irritate.. and provide me entertainment.

October 13, 2011 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • am dur wah wah

Want to know what else is easy prey? Someone who justifies arguments by pointing to finished chores and paid bills. Your emoticon can't mask the fact that you hate your empty life.

October 13, 2011 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Marine5484

I think it is hilarious that people think that baseball sucks....do yourself a favor and go to a game and educate yourself on how the game is actually played. There is much more then two or three pitchers throwing a fastball for 3 hours. And the simple fact is that it sure the hell beats watching something like the x factor.

October 13, 2011 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Rest of the world

What is baseball?

October 13, 2011 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Ryan

wah wah your tv shows will not air on their normal time. get over it. there are more important things in life to worry about. is this really something to complain about? petty.

October 13, 2011 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Harry

LOL watching baseball is for those who cant play.. For those who say It reminds them of their dad.. with whimsical text about curveballs flying into your house with glitter dust.. LOL its pathetic.. If a televised baseball game reminded me of my dad.. I would want to forget I had one. Lemme Guess.. that memory was of him in a mustard stained wife beater screaming "get me a beer" .. Get real.. Schedules were made for a reason. Baseball didnt fit in their slot.. read about it the next day. buy a ticket.... Remember they are paid athletes.. that strike... and could care less about you..

October 13, 2011 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marine5484

Sounds like someone didn't have a dad to play catch with.

October 13, 2011 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • am dur wah wah

Watching professional baseball is for those who can't play it while it's on; that includes eliminated teams, minor leaguers and millions of fans that lack the skill to count themselves among the several thousand best players in a sport played internationally. If you'd like to know what happens when pre-recorded programming preempts live coverage, ask TBS about the "Steve Harvey Game" of 2008.

Baseball is not on every network at once. Look for another show to watch while Fox is showing it. You'll find one. I promise.

And if doing something you enjoy makes you want to forget you have a father, that sounds like a personal issue. You may want to look into counseling.

October 13, 2011 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sigmund

So tell me Harry, how did your father get that mustard stain on his shirt. I want you to open up. Did your father refuse your request for a hot dog at one time? These things need to be brought to the surface. And when you brought him that beer, did he say thank you? It's ok. We are here to help.

October 14, 2011 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
    • am dur wah wah

@Sigmund – Sad he didn't respond; he was passive-aggressively using this space for a therapy session anyway. Guess he's not ready yet. He will be. One day.

October 14, 2011 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |
  16. Grumpy

Baseball is about the only good thing left on television and is one of the few reasons I keep a TV around.

October 13, 2011 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  17. El Flaco

If you taped a baseball game and then cut out the parts where the ball wasn't in play, how long would it be? 15 minutes?
    For 15 minutes of action you watch 45 commercials and watch guys standing around?

October 13, 2011 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • tfbuckfutter

Umm....the EXACT same thing couldn't be said of Dancing with the Stars, or American Idol or any of those other awful shows?

Or ANY reality show that, after every commercial break, shows the 5 minutes of the show that lead up to that commercial break?

October 13, 2011 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
  18. sal

There should be a lot more hockey and soccer to compete against the boring "reality tv" ...forget every other sport.

October 13, 2011 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Goliath182

Not at all, I'm surprised TV can even exist with crappy shows like the ones you mentioned being the only things on.

October 13, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  20. kman

Basball is exciting,u morons !!!

October 13, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • tfbuckfutter

I'd rather watch WOMEN play baseball than shows like How to Be A Gentleman, Whitney, Two Broke Girls, or anything Simon Cowell has ever been involved in.....

Or "Celebrities" doing anything.

October 13, 2011 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  21. kman

anything is better than the crap on primetime telly!!

October 13, 2011 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  22. I. Mold

Not that I'm against sports; but I also like to watch other things, and then I don't want sports intruding; why can't they schedule these things better? Between work and sports, I was lucky in the past to see even half the episodes on the few shows I did like. Tried cable and satellite, but after the first couple weeks, new content is just a monthly dribble for an obscene price. No thanks, not impressed. Then Netflix came out, and now I enjoy my TV again, and am still catching up on all the series I missed the previous 30 years. TV viewers are changing, too bad the TV stations don't seem to understand that.

October 13, 2011 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • tfbuckfutter

Hulu.

My wife and I are currently on vacation and have been watching shows we missed while eating breakfast. And the shows I wasn't able to DVR that we can't miss? I know they're available when we get home.

October 13, 2011 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • am dur wah wah

Baseball is 9 innings. If the game is tied after that, the teams play extra innings until there's a winner. No amount of scheduling will change that.

October 13, 2011 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • I. Mold

am dur wah wah - And what does one month of baseball interrupting regular primetime programming have to do with evolving distribution methods?

It encourages evolving distribution methods! :)

October 15, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  23. tfbuckfutter

Ohhh boo hoo, another insipid "talent" show was pre-empted for a display of LEGITIMATE talent.

Whatever will fat mid-western women do?

October 13, 2011 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Pkruse

So, CNN doesn't get a chance to carry postseason baseball. It's good entertainment for a change vs the usual lineups. Besides, who needs the exact same TV schedule 52 weeks a year. Boring.

October 13, 2011 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  25. CM

If you have a "TV viewing life" you have far bigger problems than baseball. Like... being a complete brain dead loser. Especially if you watch reality tv.

October 13, 2011 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  26. caesar

I think it is more like – everything else is ruining my baseball viewing.

October 13, 2011 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  27. PR

Baseball.....pure bullsh!t. Who cares? No one gives a sh!t. Watch Fox's ratings tank. Glad to see Fox in the crapper. They have very little good programming and the playoffs are going to kill it.

October 13, 2011 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trey

You wish.

October 13, 2011 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • am dur wah wah

If no one cares, why are the playoffs broadcast every year at the same time while so much of Fox's other programming changes? And what does baseball have to do with your distaste for the rest of their programming?

October 13, 2011 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
  28. maury pauvich

Glad to see this comment section weighs heavily in favor of baseball and against this idiot author. suprising given we're on the cheesy entertainment blog. bravo!

October 13, 2011 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  29. AnnieMac Go Nats!

Funny, but I find watching a decent baseball game to be a fairly cerebral experience, while reality shows and any sitcom with a laugh track seem to cater to the lowest common denominator.

October 13, 2011 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Nate

I'll take baseball over crap-factor or any unreality show any day of the week.

October 13, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Trey

Too bad baseball can't take up more television time, maybe it will get the fat slobs complaining about it taking the X-Factor off showtime to go outside and actually lose some weight.

Boo hoo, fat pigs.

October 13, 2011 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  32. MrC

Also no. Big fat juicy NO!

Love baseball, it's crap like the X Factor that gets in that way of good programming like Raising Hope. Reality TV is the worst thing to happen to entertainment. That said, televised sports was the first reality TV and is still more "real" than any of the reality-based programming that has been dumbing down our society since the first season of Real World. Watching talented individuals and teams go head to head with their peers is compelling and fascinating AND infinitely more watchable than a bunch of no name no talent twits trying to win votes for undeserved fame. This is why music is going down the crapper. Go Brewers!

October 13, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  33. tffl

_Anything_ that gets the crap reality shows off is a good thing. Baseball just makes it that much better...

October 13, 2011 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Cary Ronan

WAY too many games televised that screw everything up!! Such a boring sport to watch.

October 13, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • am dur wah wah

Of the 4 major American sports, baseball takes the 2nd least amount of time to play a full season. The playoffs take one month. Most regular season games are broadcast locally, as teams negotiate their own TV deals for the regular season. And regardless of network, said regular season games often have other baseball-related programming scheduled around them, so as not to lead anyone to expect anything other than baseball to be featured those evenings.

Now, please define "WAY too many". Thanks.

October 13, 2011 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  35. David

Baseball has only been going on in October for what, like, forever. Get over it. So you miss another rip off talent show.

October 13, 2011 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Chris

Baseball is is extremely slow and boring.

October 13, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  37. VistaPoint

No; it is the only thing worth watching these days. Programming across the networks is crap.

October 13, 2011 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  38. tenman

'Sports' (in this country, really just another form of soap opera) showings on TV are listed for a certain time and that's all they should get. Came home late to watch my recording of Terra Nova and found an hour of the tail end of a stupid baseball game, with the first five minutes of Terra Nova tacked on at the end. That's BULL!

Honestly, is the network trying to kill the show? 'Cause they couldn't think of a better way if they tried!

October 13, 2011 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |

What is a Terra Nova?

If it's a TV show, it may be available on Hulu.com. If it's a TV show on Hulu.com and plenty of people watch it there, its network may be more reluctant to cancel it.

October 13, 2011 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Kevin Waisfeld

October 13, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Thomas

It's October !

Go Tigers !

October 13, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Ian

Baseball is awfully boring and unwatchable!

October 13, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Trey

Only when the Junior League (American League) is on. I hate American League baseball, with their pussified designated hitter.

October 13, 2011 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  43. bubba LaLoosh

If you've seen one network TV show.. you've seen them all.. except "Arrested Development". Bring back the Bluths!

October 13, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Sherri

Well, yes...if it's not the Red Sox playing the Yankees, then yes, it IS getting in the way!

October 13, 2011 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Tom

Not a big fan of baseball but it's not really an issue for me as I am most often watching History, Military or one of the Discovery Network channels. To me it's a tossup as to which is worse, network TV's normal mindless offerings or baseball. When I'm in the mood for mindless TV, I watch Adult Swim on Cartoon Network. :)

October 13, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  46. HC Grindon

"Baseball is so slow.." Yeah, if you're an ADD moron. But yeah, it's probably best you leave the intelligent sports like baseball to the intelligent people...stick with your NFL and idiotic shows like X Factor.

October 13, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  47. sarah

Really? I love baseball ... as do many other Americans. All this reality TV is garbage, why should it be more important? They should play more sports on primetime instead of the mind-numbing programing the networks seem to prefer.

October 13, 2011 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Dave

This is crap anyway. If you want to watch sports, buy sports channels. If a sporting event is set to air from 2pm-4pm and the game runs longer. OH WELL, at 4pm the next show needs to start. What the heck makes sporting events so dang important they over ride everything else?

October 13, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • John Wayne Gacy

May God castrate you and banish your soul to hell for such an idiotic post. You don't like watching sports? But you like watching little kids sing? Pedo.

October 13, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trey

I beg to differ. If you want to watch sports you can watch them just as easily on FOX, or TBS.

October 13, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Paul

I wish they had a Sports Special on every nite 12 months a year. Todays Network TV stinks. Why do you think the channels that show the TV programs of 30 and 40 years do so well. Again, todays network TV sticks to the high heavens...

October 13, 2011 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Raising Hope

Raising Hope is the 1st show I have looked forward to watching for many years now.. KMA Fox !!!!

October 13, 2011 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  51. BlogBlob

I've been complaining about this since the Simpsons were in their 3rd season and drawn-out boring baseball games would eat into their showing time.

Old news, my friend, very old news.

October 13, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • BlogBlob

Sports should have a set time to show their game.
      If it goes over, they should stop airing it and move on to their "regularly scheduled programming".
      Highlights are on the news. Real sports fans get ESPN (and all their spin-off channels) anyway. The internet could be used to air the rest of the games for those who want to watch them.

October 13, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • am dur wah wah

Why should millions viewers already watching a game be inconvenienced, especially when it's a live event? Have you considered their response should they miss a key moment due to a lapse in coverage?

The game will end eventually. All of them do. I'm certain of it. If your favorite show gets bumped, hopefully the network is prompt when informing you where and when you can find it again. It's prerecorded and is going to be aired anyway. You will get to see it somewhere. The episode isn't changing between now and when you see it.

And if you're having DVR issues, try checking TV schedules; they'll tell you when baseball is preempting certain shows (every year in October). That way, you can set the timer to run over in case the game runs long. The chunk of baseball you wind up recording may be deleted at will. Or watched, if you like.

October 14, 2011 at 3:04 am | Report abuse |
  52. Daniel

Absolutely not! GO RANGERS!!!!

October 13, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  53. guy

Baseball is SO SLLLLOOOOWWWW! I haven't watched it for 20 yrs..I watch the PGA and it's a lot faster than baseball!hahaha!....Baseball is experiencing a slow death and it really should....give the NFL, NBA or NHL thank you. Besides you don't play baseball in October...this is so ridiculous. Put it on a sports channel only so we don't miss the programs we like:)

October 13, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • am dur wah wah

Really? "You don't play baseball in October"? Since when?

October 13, 2011 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Jenny

Everyone stop complaining!!! Sports are way more important then some stupid show about dinosaurs. Get over it and try and watch a game or two. GO TIGS!!!!!!!

October 13, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Pooter

PUT ALL SPORTS ON THE ESPN CHANNELS ONLY!!!!

October 13, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Gleeisforlosers

For all you whiners complaining about baseball and football getting in the way of your crappy shows, remember that they have been around for over a hundred years. Long after Glee and your other garbage thankfully goes the way of the dinosaur, baseball and football will be as strong as ever.

October 13, 2011 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Boring TV

Producing more and more boring TV show. LOL.... I can't find good channel on direct tv. Everything is fill with junks.

October 13, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Marky

There is no way baseball is ruining my TV watching! In the first place, I love this playoff season–very exciting, and great teams doing their best. Baseball is only boring to those who don't really understand the game, and prefer violence at every turn while they wait for someone to get some sort of permanent injury and never play again. Some just don't realize the skill required to play baseball, and the wonderful atmosphere that is part of every game (unless you sit near a drunken loser who also doesn't appreciate the game).

In the second place, most shows are in and out of the lineup due to all sorts of things, so you just realize it's part of today's TV watching. Most of the shows I watch, such as Psych, Burn Notice, Closer, and all sorts of other great, interesting shows, are not on Fox or any of the other broadcast channels. There are plenty of shows many of us watch on other channels, so "ruin my TV watching" is just waaaay overboard.

October 13, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  59. peggy

Absolutely not! Love baseball and this has been a great season!! Phenomenal! I just record anything it may preempt.

October 13, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Doug

Too much baseball?? Not possible. A perfect replacement for trash TV.

October 13, 2011 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Baseball Lover Mary

Baseball and football are the only programs I watch. So no, baseball isn't ruining TV for me. It is the reason I turn the set on.

October 13, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Scotty

Are you kidding? Baseball is great! Beats much of scripted t.v., and all of that "reality" crap. Also, football is waaaaay duller than baseball and ruins just as much t.v. For every 10 seconds of actual game, there are 30 to a million seconds of time out. The games seem to go on FOREVER! I will never understand how American football is so popular.

October 13, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Mike Hunt

I'd rather watch a baseball game than suffer through talentless tv offerings like the Kardashians, Jersey Shore, or one of the countless "Housewives" shows.

October 13, 2011 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  64. bg

Seriously? You list shows like Glee and Raising Hope and then ask if baseball is getting in the way? Baseball is making my TV worthwhile.

October 13, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  65. ibrad

Sports is one of the only real things on TV anymore. We are bombarded with reality tv (completely scripted real tv). I wonder who really wants sports cut from TV.

October 13, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  66. will

You people would rather watch your little singing shows instead of watching baseball, america's past time and watching history be made. Sad sad sad.

October 13, 2011 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Travis

I personally find baseball to be rather boring, but I would happily watch it over X-Factor or any other of those "talent" shows that passes for televised entertainment programming any day.

October 13, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  68. tommy

The shows you list (except Girl) are weak and pathetic. Glee has run it's course. So the morons at Fox give the English idiot all the time he wants for another singing show? Who cares? I, for one, do not. A 1-0 game is still more exciting than the X factor's panel of d- list stars and alcoholics.

October 13, 2011 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  69. jeff

Bunch of grown men hitting a ball with a stick! I may as well watch the grass grow. LOL

October 13, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

Watching the grass grow is still better than much of the crap on TV nowadays. I'll take sports over anything else on tv any day of the week.

October 13, 2011 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Gercy

There are only three things worth watching on Fox: baseball, football and The Simpson's. All of their other stuff is terrible.

October 13, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  71. John

I watch baseball, football, hockey, soccer and other sports on TV. I haven't watched Xfactor or glee or any of the other programs mentioned, although I do enjoy watching The Big Bang Theory.

October 13, 2011 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Chris

Fine with me X factor and shows like it make me turn my TV off! I love Baseball Go tigers! This is a ridiculous statement that has no reason being here look at the ratings for postseason baseball come on!

October 13, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Brandon

The X-factor and all of the other shows like it are ruining MY tv viewing experience.
    Too bad Hollywood is too lazy and unimaginative to come up with a full schedule of good scripted shows. Reality TV has made our entire population a little more stupid than we were before.

October 13, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Dan

More baseball and less junk-food TV. Go Rangers!!

October 13, 2011 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Betsy

Fox shouldn't have even bothered putting out a Fall schedule. If I wanted to watch baseball for 3 or 4 hours at a stretch, I'd subscribe to a sports channel. Missing a couple programs here and there isn't a big deal. Missing almost all the programs you like day after day is getting old.

October 13, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bruce

You could be right, there isn't anything worth watching anyway. Get up and do something useful if you don't like whats on TV.

October 13, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • am dur wah wah

You do know there are a variety of ways to watch your favorite prerecorded shows after they've aired, right? The networks' goal is for you to watch the shows you like and their most popular are usually offered in a variety of places, few of which require more effort than turning on your television and changing the channel.

October 14, 2011 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
  76. David

I think sports is annoying to the extent that it pre-empts stuff. Put it on the sports channels where it belongs.

October 13, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  77. jim beranis

Lets see more sports and less garbage!

October 13, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Bruce

Baseball is one of the better sports. Does anyone really care what Simon and company has to say? He boosts his own neuroticism by putting people down and people applaud it by watching him, pathetic.

Most who don't enjoy baseball usually don't understand the sport or appreciate it's tradition.

October 13, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marie R.

Thank you! Baseball is THE quintessential American sport, so this alleged outrage about not seeing yet another one of these stupid reality shows for a couple of nights because of weather is just petty. I don't understand why anyone would watch that crap anyway, never mind look forward to it. And I really feel sorry for anyone who feels that they have a t.v. viewing "life". That is no life.

October 13, 2011 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • LazyBaseball

Baseball is for lazy "athletes".
      Truth: 45% of the game is spent sitting on the bench waiting for your turn to hit.
      Truth: Another 45% of the game is spent waiting for someone to hit a ball in your direction.
      Truth: If you only succeed in hitting the ball 1 out of 4 times, it's acceptable...and common.
      So you only get some brief action for 10% of a 3 hour game? LAZY & BORING!!!!

October 13, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bruce

Clearly there are some here who have never played. If you did, you would know the hard work and conditioning it requires to be good at the sport.

Sit back down and eat your bon bons.

October 13, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paula

LazyB – Simon, is that you?

October 13, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • RR

Football is for the easily stimulated. Baseball requires skill and finesse.

October 13, 2011 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  79. KB

Get a life, losers!

October 13, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  80. debbie

If it is – tough crap!

October 13, 2011 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Sam

Heck yes it is. I wish they would never show any baseball or hockey on TV, EVER. They could have delayed the game until after the show. The ALL MIGHTY $. Shame...

October 13, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • bill@bill.com

When yoiu start paying the networks for their programming you'll have a say.

October 13, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • none

There are paying customers waiting to watch a live game. These FOX shows are prerecorded. And FOX has a contract with MLB to show the ALCS. FOX has already decided some of these games aren't worth primetime slots, but the weather decided otherwise.
      Baseball > network television
      Baseball's a beautiful thing

October 13, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • maury pauvich

Sam, if you're a girl, carry on. If you're a guy, you are such a loser I can't stand it.

October 13, 2011 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • am dur wah wah

@Sam – Do you not understand the purpose of a TV network? Or that you suggested preempting live TV for prerecorded programming?

@maury – How does being a girl excuse the lack of logic?

October 13, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  82. cosmotologist to the stars

I recommend everyone go to their local beauty salon and have a nice relaxing makeover. Even gentlemen can find pleasure in a nice fresh pedicure and hair coloring.

October 13, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Fookin' Prawn

First world problems. Stop watching TV and go outside and play baseball.

October 13, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Ben

As terrible as baseball can be, it's still 100x better than GARBAGE television.

October 13, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Hate!

Why did Fox even bother putting out their new season when they were just going to pre-empt everything for stupid baseball?? There are plenty of sports channels on cable, put baseball on one of those and let us watch our regular TV!

October 13, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • am dur wah wah

Because for a few years, they tried waiting until after the playoffs before launching their fall season and viewers complained then as well. You'll have your turn to watch your shows, even if you're struggling with alternate methods. All those episodes are in the can; they aren't coming out of it and going anywhere. I promise you.

October 14, 2011 at 3:19 am | Report abuse |
  86. cosmotologist to the stars

I and the ladies in our beauty parlor dont care for baseball. Why cant they put it on fox sports or espn?

October 13, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  87. @mr ed

If yer trolling missy u haf to do beter then that @tedd yer a good troll that was funni lmao

October 13, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Superhiro

Are you kidding? Baseball > crappy reality music shows EVERY DAY.

October 13, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Liz

Aren't there about 25 ESPN's that they can put the game(s) on?? Why do they need to take over network TV nowadays?

October 13, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cowboy1011

Liz, I have U-Verse and I would gamble to say that there over 150 sports channels. Why can't those channels be used?

October 13, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • am dur wah wah

Because there are people who watch baseball who may not have U-Verse or get every ESPN channel "nowadays", just like there were before either of those existed, when baseball was also on commercial broadcast TV.

October 13, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  90. cp

Yes, it has ruined this week's shows. There isn't any valid reason that the networks cannot schedule shows earlier so that by prime time, what is scheduled actually plays.
    And the article fails to mention that for the last THREE weeks, (the first three episodes) of The Good Wife was widly delayed each time – because of sports. Again.

October 13, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • am dur wah wah

Please clarify your suggestion. Thanks.

Also, you fail to mention that this article is entirely about Fox; The Good Wife is on CBS.

October 13, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Go Cards Go

Fine by me...GO CARDS GO!

October 13, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Beech Slapp

I say he11 yeah to anything that knocks X-factor off the air. Simon may be a successful producer, but he is also arrogant & rude. I'd like to give him a b!tch slap and hold him down so Paula can kick him in the b@llls!

October 13, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Storms

We seriously only got to see three episodes from the new season and then a long break already! This break may not due well for "New Girl" fans, and I know its not going to do well for Glee fans since this season so far sucks anyway and so this might be the reason that they stop watching altogether!

October 13, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nataswon

Yep...new shows may now fail as interest is gone...some that we're good will pay a price,,.as well as those that are sucking (no wonder the Glee creators created that bizarre American Horror Story, I'd be swinging from the rafters long ago if I had to deal with the current Glee season...)

October 13, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • am dur wah wah

If you're blaming loss of interest on something that happens every year at the same exact time, maybe you weren't that interested anyway.

October 13, 2011 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Rangersfan

Since when is Dallas/FW a small market? The last time I checked it was #5 behind NY, LA, Chicago and Philly. Also Detroit is # 11. Are we really that upset that American Idol redux is not on the Air for 2 hours on a Wednesday when the ABC programming is five time better on Wednesday

October 13, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  95. tedd

It is unfair and horrible. No one wants to watch grownup men playing with balls.

October 13, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  96. CCD

Sports has its place and Prime Time shows have theirs. Never should they meet!!!!!!!!! Why can't the Sports shows start early enough to finish before Prime Time???

October 13, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • duh

It wouldn't matter. Baseball goes 9 innings, and any inning could last any length of time.

October 13, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  97. tricia

Plus it made lots of us miss Terra Nova on Monday. Baseball stinks.

October 13, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nataswon

Yea, my family likes Terra Nova. Imagine our surprise when we fired up the DVR and had exactly only 10mins of the episode recorded. Baseball is boring and always ruins TV shows (even the garbage ones that I refer to as my guilty pleasure). Instead, FOX needs to just run reruns as you can't keep up as to when a show will or will not be on.

October 13, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aaron

Yeah, cause Terra Nova and House were only delayed 40 min.

October 13, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |

What's a Terra Nova?

@Nataswon – Baseball is on commercial broadcast TV during weekdays/nights for one month a year. If that's considered "always ruining" shows you watch, do you only watch shows on these particular networks in October? Because they'll still be there when the playoffs end.

October 13, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  98. @Office Drone

I care! Go Tigers!

October 13, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Twinswin1

I don't! Guess I should have made my name Twins Win 112! I have to say this has been one of the best post-seasons ever. Tied games, extra innings. It's so good, it even started a day early, Boston Vs. Orioles, Rays Vs. Yanks. Cards beating their opponent 8-0.

October 13, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Anomic Office Drone

Baseball might be the most boring thing in the world. Still, it does have its place on network TV, and I'd hate to see us lose that tradition. Just because it's not for me, it doesn't mean I want it off the air. I think what is making it seem especially bad this year is that the teams still playing are four small market teams that non-baseball fans don't care about.

October 13, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • 'Cable" subscriber

Things like baseball playoffs, basketball playoffs, football (NFL and college), hockey playoffs, and the Olympics should always have a place on broadcast TV, for as long as broadcast TV lives. Those sports are important to people that can't afford to pay for non-broadcast television and it's a million times better than the junk on television normally. Sports could do without some of the commercials around them, but I understand

October 13, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • 'cable' subscriber

I understand they are what pays for the broadcasting of those games, for the most part, and I am perfectly fine forwarding those with the DVR. (Start watching 30 minutes late, and you end up with 30 minutes of DVR forwarding...)

It's not like the playoffs last that long. You people don't have to deal with all the games anymore, Just the current series and the World Series. Your shows will be back in a couple of weeks. Relax. (It's not something like a writer's strike, where your shows are gone for the rest of the year. You will still get the same number of shows.)

October 13, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

Really, small market? Dallas/Ft. Worth is the 5th largest market in the US. So please don't let facts get in the way of your small market narrative.

October 13, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brandon

Small market meaning lower payroll on the club. Shows how much you know about baseball as well. I think baseball's an American pastime and I'm sure others besides me, have tv mostly for sporting events. So, they're catering to us instead of coddling you more for a month or so. No worries. Enjoy it!

October 13, 2011 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • am dur wah wah

@Brandon – Sorry, but you're wrong on all counts. Market size and payroll size are 2 different things; market size is one of many factors that determine payroll size. In regards to Nielsen DMAs, DFW is indeed 5 and Detroit is 11. Neither is a small market.

The reference may have applied to St. Louis and Milwaukee, 21 and 35 respectively, but if you're talking about payroll, the Brewers have the lowest at $85 million, 17th overall and at the middle of the pack. The Rangers are at $92 mill and the the Tigers and Cards are both over $100 mill. None of those is a low payroll.

October 14, 2011 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
  100. Nope!

Baseball, as boring of a sport as it may be, is still a lot better than the garbage on TV.

October 13, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Keith Long

You're right but I feel SO sorry that might miss a sitcom or soap opera because of a baseball game. As far as I'm concerned sports are one of the few reasons to turn a television on. There is very little on the network lineups other than reality shows and other assorted pap.

October 13, 2011 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • travis

baseball sucks, it is the most boring thing I have ever seen. They should not even televise it.

October 13, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave0593

You should really try watching the game for a while with someone who really knows the sport. I think you would find that baseball can be both relaxing and stimulating at the same time. There is a LOT going on behind the scenes almost every pitch. Of course I'm writing this during the play-offs and that's always the best time. I've seen several things just the past few weeks that have never happened before in the history of baseball. And no, don't say rain delays.

October 13, 2011 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • alan

If it ain't Baseball it's Football, if it ain't football it's Nascar. Fox just needs to get out of the sports broadcasting business. I don't even consider Baseball players athletes, because any fat tub can sit on a bench for the majority of the game and chew & spit.

October 13, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jimmy

Baseball is anticipation, nostalgia, and Americana. Each curveball breaks into my living room and reminds me of my father, throwing to me in the backyard, setting the ball on the tee, and cheering for me in the stands. It's romance chock-full of balk-like hesitations with each pickoff play. And breaths held as a man, younger, faster, and better looking than I ever was chases down a smash to the left-center gap and times his stride to the ball and the wall; like I pretended to do with my brother at Northridge Little League.

The X-Factor, on the other hand, is manufactured impurity and drama whose watchers relish in the manipulative camera angles, faux tears, and computer generated music. It's tense and intense. The viewers get to hold out for one more day... waiting to see a decision made two months ago at a studio taping. They should thank baseball for giving their lives another day of meaning.

October 13, 2011 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Will

The only people who think baseball is boring are southern retards who watch garbage like nascar

October 13, 2011 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • kevin

i am so glad baseball is on now i have something to watch instead of the garbage the normally have on

October 13, 2011 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • james

travis, you are a moron!

October 13, 2011 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • am dur wah wah

@alan – While I agree Fox Sports generally stinks, if they went away the MLB playoffs, NASCAR and the NFL games they show would be on NBC, ABC or CBS. It really makes no difference, aside from maybe the announce teams and production.

October 13, 2011 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • jo

baseball sucks! it's boring! the only people who like baseball are the other half of the southern idiots that don't like nascar.

October 13, 2011 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sparky Anderson

Please, this blog is ruining My tv experience. This argument will never do any good; baseball, or a sporting event of any kind will never take a back seat to a tv series, ever. Thats not me being a hater, thats the truth people. Plus playoff baseball is the best drama, comedy, suspense and thriller on tv EVERY GAME! If you don't think so you are un-American and should move to France. Better yet try out for the X-factor and see if you can put out something that gives Fox a reason not to put baseball first.

October 13, 2011 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mortimer Duke

Sports = $$$ for the networks
      $$$ rules all.
      If you think FOX should get out of Sports Broadcasting, you need to wake up. Never going to happen.
      Glee stinks anyway.