Lifetime planning all-black 'Steel Magnolias' remake
October 12th, 2011

Lifetime planning all-black 'Steel Magnolias' remake

Classic chick flick “Steel Magnolias” is getting a remake with an all-black cast, courtesy of Lifetime. Deadline reports that the network is developing an original movie based on the hit film.

Like the 1989 movie (which was based on a stage play), Lifetime’s new version will revolve around a close group of women in Louisiana.

The original featured an all-star cast: Dolly Parton, Julia Roberts, Sally Field, Shirley MacLaine, Darryl Hannah and Olympia Dukakis. The TV movie’s producers want a similarly star-studded assemblage of black actresses for their new Southern drama.

Casting choices for the leads are said to begin soon – who should Lifetime cast in the new “Steel Magnolias”?

In case you need a refresher, here are the roles:

Simple beauty assistant Annelle Dupuy Desoto (Daryl Hannah)

Sassy salon owner Truvy Jones (Dolly Parton)

Strong Southern mama M'Lynn Eatenton (Sally Field)

Delicate diabetic bride Shelby Eatenton Latcherie (Julia Roberts)

Wealthy curmudgeon Louisa "Ouiser" Boudreaux (Shirley MacLaine)

Lively widow Clairee Belcher (Olympia Dukakis)

1. dionne

I am an AA woman and I feel some kind of way about this movie being remade. I adored the orginal movie this is the ONLY movie that will make me cry everytime I see it. I am sorry I am a movie buff and somethings i.e. this movie should have been left alone. Thats like someone trying to copy a Reimbrant it may come close but the quality is never the same.

September 25, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Galvanised Feed barrier

We are a gaggle of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your web site provided us with helpful info to paintings on. You've performed an impressive task and our whole community will likely be thankful to you.

April 16, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  3. louisiana girl

Does anyone know that it is based on a true story and yes... the family is white. Jack (the son) was married last summer.

April 15, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jonathon DiMatteo

I have a great idea-Let's re-do ROOTS with an all-white cast!

April 14, 2012 at 3:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Austin

Safe to say that won't happen. There would be a huge outcry if it was even attempted. This movie was based on a white family but feel free to skew it because Lifetime has run out of ideas for original movies. Black or White it will be hard to improve on the original. It was the best of the best cast wise. But hey .... good luck with that ;)

September 4, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  5. gladiatorgal

As an African American female, I absolutely love Steel Magnolias with the original cast. So much so, I purchased the DVD. I do not wish to see such a great movie redone with an all African American cast. Shoot, that's like recasting "I love Lucy" the same way. If it ain't broke – why try to fix it? Hollywood writers have just run out of original story lines. Time to get some new blood in there.

October 16, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mamahd5

I agree with Drone & others. There are certain movies that should never be remade !!! Should Hollywood remake Soulfood with an ALL white cast, I think not, thats not original ?? That was a fantastic movie on its own, I loved it !! Should we now take ALL of Tyler Perry's movies and cater to all white , mexican, asian, an so on ?? I mean really have a movie of a close knit group of African American women but let it be completely seperate from the original Steel Magnolias. Let these women in this new movie have their own glory, cause they won't if its a remake of Steel Magnolias.

October 15, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Daniel Troppy

That's a brilliant idea and the perfect cast for a classic story about friendship & love....

October 15, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jules

October 14, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kelly

Jules, you stated "Some of the people making these comments are completely ignorant. How are you going to compare re-making Steel Magnolia's with an all black cast to re-making Roots or the Color Purple with an all white cast? That makes you sound like an idiot! Considering that white people didn't have to suffer the opression of slavery or the after effects of it, it makes no sense. The story of Steel Magnolia's is one that can be a family of ANY ethnicity. I am so sick of everyone making a big deal of black vs. white...it is 2011 people!!!!! Wake up!!! Move on and get over it!!!!!"Where as I agree with you white people did not suffer the oppression of slavery and the story of Steel Magnolias can be associated to any ethnicity, The actual story/movie of Steel Magnolia's is indeed based on a true story of a White family from Natchitoches, Louisiana, story written by a brother about his sister. To remake this with any other ethnicity would make this a fictional story and should not be called Steel Magnolia's! I'm from La, my sister's husband provided crawfish for the film and my niece and her family attend the same easter egg hunt that was filmed in that movie every year. This is something Hollywood needs to leave alone. This will fail. Please don't make this a race issue, this is about fact issues and nothing else!!!!

July 7, 2012 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
  9. mefrommckee

There is nothing wrong with an all white cast and/or black cast of this movie...it is the telling of the story that is important. There are several "remakes" of movies or scripts containing ethnic actors that, once the large budgets get behind them, turn white. Don't sweat the samll stuff. Racism is a position of powetr so by definition a minority group can not be racist because there is no power or opression behind it.

October 14, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Katie

Stop making remakes. Why can't the entertainment industry have a new fresh idea regarding movies even if they are going to be made for TV. So annoying.

October 14, 2011 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  11. Jbird

I'm totally down for this. Sometimes a recasting this extreme can be a reneasiance to a script. As long as they keep the core southern charm and relationships together I am for it, and as long as Tylor Perry is not allowed to be involved.

October 14, 2011 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  12. Richard

I think we need to remake roots with an all white cast. Think that would go over well?

October 14, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  13. Just0r

What a stupid idea, I hate it when they remake classic, good movies and turn them ethnic. Let me guess, its going to be Tyler Perry's Steel Magnolias?

October 14, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  14. amnda

Chill, its a movie. If you don't like that they are remaking it then don't watch it, but wait that is too easy gotta turn it into a race issue. It is a beautiful movie and it will be beautiful no matter who plays the parts whether they are black, white, purple, or orange.

October 14, 2011 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  15. Jeanine

You and why don't we have white tv channels and black tv channels (oh wait, this is one) and Latino channels (right-o, there is one. If we can make movies for black people to watch, then we can make white movies, and white commercials, and white advertisements, too. Why doesn't somebody do some market research on the subject. That's one movie I won't be going to see.

October 14, 2011 at 7:50 am | Report abuse |
  16. Mike R

It should be called: Chrome Daisies

October 14, 2011 at 3:09 am | Report abuse |
  17. Ken

This is absolutely racist, or at least if it were the other way around I'm sure someone would be complaining. That's the double edge sword in the United States and I think that it's best displayed in the affirmative action bake sale.

October 14, 2011 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
  18. Sofia

I think M'Lynn Eatenton said it best ... "No! No! No! It's not supposed to happen this way! Oh God I wanna know why? Why!? Lord, I wish I could understand!"

October 14, 2011 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
  19. Mr. Myxlptlxk

" ONCET AGIN' DE PO' BLACK FOKE' BE STEELIN' FUM DE WHITE MAN..."

October 14, 2011 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
  20. R

And they are doing this why? How stupid. Is The Color Purple going to be redone with all white people?

October 13, 2011 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  21. jdurand

I'm thinking Alfre Woodard would be a shoe in for this

October 13, 2011 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Lexx

I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!! You ALL SUCK ! I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!! Eat My Steel D Ick

October 13, 2011 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Lexx

I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!! AND AGAIN!!

October 13, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Lexx

I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!! AGAIN!

October 13, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Lexx

October 13, 2011 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Lexx

I SAID IT SUCKED!!!!!!!

October 13, 2011 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Lexx

LOL!!! you guys are funny! The movie was made as it was for a reason, go and make your own freaki'n movie! Why re-do something that sucked in the first place!! ?

October 13, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Lexx

LOL!!! you guys are funny! The movie was made as it was for a reason, go make your own freaki'n movie! Why re-do something that sucked in the first place!??

October 13, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Tibby

What about making it with an all gay cast? Now THAT would be worth watching after hitting the bong!!

October 13, 2011 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lexx

October 13, 2011 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  30. CJ

FOLKS-OMG! How about getting a clue! If anyone said we were making ANYTHING all white, Rev Jackson & Al Sharpton would be screaming. I am so sick of people claiming racism when they have nothing but their own lack of skills and knowledge to fall back on. How about just doing a remake, why does it have to be an "all black" remake-how about an all asian, all hispanic-oh no that might offend. No one is in this day and age can claim discrimination, unless of course you have nothing other than ignorance to fall back on. Face it, get an education and get qualified-then you might get what everyone else (no matter what ethnicity) has earned and ws not given out of pity.

October 13, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  31. CJ

October 13, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lexx

LOL! you guys are funny! The movie was made as it was for a reason, go make your own freaki'n movie! Why re-do something that sucked in the first place !!??

October 13, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • R

well said!

October 13, 2011 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  32. MJ

reverse racism at it's best, what an idiot idea

October 13, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  33. geeman

can't hollywood be creative and not use old movies and remake them.... it's been going on for decades and most ppl are ... sick of it.... black steel magnolias... why not latino's.... or asian americans... enough black ok... not racist.. just enough is enough.. ;-(

October 13, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Geno

How about an all white Roots.

October 13, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Mitch Johnson

Next up: an all white remake of Roots!

October 13, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Tracy

I find it interesting that other "races" feel the need to comment for other "races"......

October 13, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  37. OSA6311

I loved the original – it was great, but I think casting it as an all-black film will put a whole new cultural twist on it because of the different social status that black people endure in the South – believe it or not, like it or not, black people in the South do still endure the stigmas of days gone by in other areas of this country – I am a white Southerner and see it happen all the time – (thankful I was raised to see the person, not their skin color). I think this movie will be just as good as the original and will not be a "lame" copy of the original.

October 13, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  38. whatever

WOW... There are some REALLY sad, HATE FILLED comments on here. Oh God, It's the story line of the movie that transcends color... And IT happens in ALL families. Just because the author wrote about his family, doesn't mean that there were not OR are not other races that have seen or fell the same.

Please stop the hate. AND YES ITS HATE.

YOU WEREN'T OFFENEDED BECAUSE THEY WERE ALL WHITE, WHY BE OFFENDED BECAUSE THEY ARE ALL BLACK...

October 13, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Polly

I am not offended by the ethnicity of the actors in the remake I am offended by the "REMAKE". You don't remake a classic!!!!
      You don't remake Gone With The Wind, Roots, or The Color Purple.
      Just like you don't remake "Steel Magnolias".

October 2, 2012 at 4:20 am | Report abuse |
  39. Taunya Curry

I am looking forward to see what they are going to do with this. I love the original, so they are going to have to come "hard" with the acting/casting. Can't wait to see how it goes.

October 13, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  40. beefromnj

I would watch this, i'm african american. I love the Original. but it's all about capitalism. This would be good for the creator. He or she could make a lot of money this way, but to me it's best they keep the original version, and why are so many people picking on Tyler Perry. He has great movies. Where i go there are blacks and whites watching and enjoying them. A good times remake with caucasians is a whole different thing then a remake of steel magnolias two very different stories

October 13, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  41. willi

are you kidding me- Lorreta Divine would have to be a part of that cast-

October 13, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • beefromnj

yes, I said the same thing. Loretta could play Mulin. hope i spelled it right. I love the movie

October 13, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  42. CP125

Why does Hollywood need to regurgitate the same stuff over and over and over. Can't they come up with an original thought? Just because the first version was successful doesn't mean the next ones will be. I've stopped going to the movies because I can't find anything interesting and at the prices they are charging, it's no longer worth it. Whatever they're producing now can wait until it comes to main stream TV where I can decide to not watch it or not.

October 13, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  43. LOL

Wow, you people sure are stupid. Get back to class or at least use this energy to go find a job, because I'm pretty sure most of you are living off the government's teat. Pitiful.

October 13, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lexx

LOL! you guys are funny! The movie was made as it was for aa reason, go make your own freaki'n movie! Why re-do something that sucked in the first place !!??

October 13, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Ally Mason

The next time I see a filthy southern gentleman in a 'white'wife beater going off on a Wal-Mart cashier because she asks him for his(suspended drivers license)to purchase some wintergreen Skoal chewing tobacco,and he gets his lovely 3OOlbs.toothless southern bell to go back in the store to retrieve it.I'll think of you educated,dignified white people that made all of these wonderful comments about colored women revising y'alls picture,I thank ya' so meuch.

October 13, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  45. erich2112x

Incorporate white housekeepers and yardmen into the story, and I swear you'll have an audience.

October 13, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Brian

All you folks that have a problem with this movie being remade with an all black cast, just be glad lifetime didn't decide to remake Driving Miss Daisy...Now that's the movie I would like to see. Jack Nicholas playing an uneducated, illiterate, old, chauffeur to a wealthy African American woman (Ruby Dee). I would prefer that Lifetime take the same all black cast and come up with something original but maybe the originality comes in seeing black actresses playing complex characters that give these actresses the ability to showcase their talent.
    And I personally would love to see a remake of Good Times with a white cast. That would be so much more realistic than all the other grandiose concepts for TV roles that white people make up for themselves. There are TV shows with where white people can solve crimes with numbers, talk to dead people, are super heroes, and cure any strange disease within a one hour time slot, but a show about a black family where there is a mother and father in the home and the parents are both well educated is somehow un realistic. PLEASE STOP IT.

October 13, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Black is Back

Ok then. Get Eddie Murphy to play ALL the parts and I might watch it.

October 13, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  48. kobresia

one question, why?

October 13, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Queen Lattice

in another 25 years, they'll remake it again with an ALL MALE cast.
    idiots.

October 13, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Kiwi

Well, I think I would LOVE it. There are quite a few outstanding black actresses on the Hollywood scene these days and I think I would enjoy them taking on such meaningful, smart and interesting roles. It's because I love looking at and critiquing old films from the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s that I KNOW Hollywood has ALWAYS remade films and many have been entertaining. So, there is a market for making this film, Lifetime knows that and is smart enough to capitalize on it.

October 13, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  51. bronco

Deadline reports that the network is developing an original movie based on the hit film. An 'original' movie??? It's not original unless it is 'original'. This is a knock off, stupid and pathetic. What's next, a black queen of England? Leave a great movie alone....and white.

October 13, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Feast of Beast

I always wanted to do Sally Field. With my steel flagpolia.

October 13, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Iris

I'm not sure the remake will be any good, however below is my cast.

Simple beauty assistant Annelle Dupuy Desoto (Daryl Hannah) –THANDIE NEWTON

Sassy salon owner Truvy Jones (Dolly Parton)– WHITNEY HOUSTON

Strong Southern mama M'Lynn Eatenton (Sally Field) –VIOLA DAVIS

Delicate diabetic bride Shelby Eatenton Latcherie (Julia Roberts) –TARAIJI P HENSON

Wealthy curmudgeon Louisa "Ouiser" Boudreaux (Shirley MacLaine) –ANGELA BASSETT

Lively widow Clairee Belcher (Olympia Dukakis) –PHYLICIA RASHAD

October 13, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Joe Sephus

Shouldn't then rename it "Black Orchids"?

October 13, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Ally Mason

Robert why do you still want everything I mean if scream hateful racist comments forever nothings going to change in your world

October 13, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  56. D. S.

Enough with all of the race comments, Damn! What kind of society is this?

October 13, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Feast of Beast

At least change the damn name! How about "Aluminum Tulips"?

October 13, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Justin

Morons should be denied access to the internet....just saying

October 13, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Burt R.

I did'nt know they had PhotoShop back in 1989.

October 13, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  60. T BC

First you have to have an a** to laugh it off.You flat a**ed insecure idiot.

October 13, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Oakleydog

The article begins by saying 'they are developing an original movie based on the hit film." Not sure if the word 'original' is being used properly. This is going to be a remake of a movie that was based on a play...therefore it can't be called 'original' – unless replacing an all white cast with an all black cast somehow makes it original.
    Can't wait for Spike TV to remake Shaft or Superfly with an all-white cast.

October 13, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Sweet Blackberry

...and you white men,you hated Steele Magnolias so why the h*ll are you trippin'?

October 13, 2011 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  63. Tina

I love Steel Magnolias, but we don't need a black version. All they would do is get every familiar black actor that still exists. No new talent. Just the same black actors. Like a BET Awards show. Same people all the time. 'Cause black entertainers are still a very small demographic unfortunately. I don't need to see Angela Bassett OR Viola Whatever.

October 13, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  64. V. P.

Some good comments, some people even answered the questions. But some missed the whole thing by talking race. Americans please get it together and stop letting racism run you!

October 13, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  65. Sweet Blackberry

See what I mean?Just crazy.

October 13, 2011 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  66. Felice

Silly idea.

October 13, 2011 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  67. stormy miller

this is one of the dumbest ideas i have ever heard. why do film makers think they have to remake classic films with african-american actors? would we remake "a raisin in the sun" with white actors? NO! but i guess we could call it "a golden raisin in the sun
    OH NO! I MIGHT HAVE GIVEN SOMEONE AN IDEA.

October 13, 2011 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  68. Sweet Blackberry

White people are the craziest people in the world.

October 13, 2011 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Sarge

You say that like it's a bad thing. I'll remember that the next time I see two large black women at Wal-Mart fighting over the last pack of Charmin.

October 13, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  69. jay jay

W.E.T.

October 13, 2011 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  70. Rita

My daughter had Diabetes, I buried her this past June. She was 34. The pain a parent feels when they bury their child has no ethnic boundary. If this can touch someone to help them take better care of themselves, then I will be first in line to buy a ticket!! I really like most of the sugestions. I think it will be a good movie.

October 13, 2011 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  71. whatever

So...didn't they remake Waiting to Exhale as First Wives Club...with an all white cast? Just saying.

October 13, 2011 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  72. Ignorant1

What's the movie going to be called? Steel Reserve Magnolias?

October 13, 2011 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  73. Hank Williams. Jr.

Another movie that stupid black people have to ruin and make their own. Geez, you guys take over everything like a damn virus and now you have to claim our movies? What would you people say if there was an all white cast in ROOTS? You uppity people would be all over it...nuff said..

October 13, 2011 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  74. slhrby

I don't understand why everything has to be remade?! Very tired of all this nonsence. There are a tremendous amount of people out there with talent that could come up with something....really!

October 13, 2011 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  75. CEW

If they use the same script and do it in exactly the same way, merely swapping black actors for the white ones, then this is stupid and will bomb. On the other hand, if they use the same basic story, but start from scratch with the writing, and I guess reinterpret it, then I think it might be a worthy movie. Reinterpretations can be good. Think Battlestar Galactica and True Grit.

October 13, 2011 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  76. JES71

So seeing as this will be an all black version I'm assuming it will either take place in prison or the ghetto.

October 13, 2011 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  77. hodel

When they made "The Wiz", I thought is was not right to do so. When they produce and sell black Santa Clauses, I think it is wrong, and now to change the color of a Magnolia tree's flower from white to black is just completely against nature. This new movie needs to be called "Steel Tulips".

There are plenty of good black writers writing good stories that could be produced for black actors.

October 13, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  78. seanster5977

Hay that is a coincidence because I think The Color Purple should be remade with an all white cast.

October 13, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
    • WhoCares

Good idea Seanster5977-then, maybe it will get the Oscar for "Best Picture" it truly deserved

October 13, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  79. jeb

Hollywood is so devoid of new and original ideas that every other film is a remake of something only a few years old. We need to outsource Hollywood to China. At least we should get some great (and original) action films.

October 13, 2011 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  80. Jungg

Just have Tyler Perry dress up in a fat suit and play them all.

October 13, 2011 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  81. whatdahossit

This idea makes so much sense it is idiotic. I'm going to start filming the All-Asian version of "Big Mama's house" as soon as I get some funding together. Maybe I'll call it "Little Mama's House"

October 13, 2011 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  82. becky

NO FREAKING WAY NOBODY CAN TAKE THE PLACE OF DOLLY,SALLY,AND JUILA . i Give it a big 2 thumbs down

October 13, 2011 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  83. Garry

doesn't MATTER TO ME, THEY COULD CAST ALL CHINESE OR AN ALL LATINO OR WHATEVER..THE ORIGINAL IS THE ONE AND ONLY..WILL i WATCH ANOTHER REMAKE..no!

October 13, 2011 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  84. sf

Well maybe if they had some minorities in the first one we wouldnt have this problem. Trust me I love that movie but the only black people I saw was the maid at the house when they were getting ready for the wedding and the one and only black couple at the reception. I would also like to see hispanics, asians, etc... Not just african americans.

Here's my list

M'Lynn- Angela Bassett
    Shelby- sanaa lathan
    Clairee- Lynn Whitfield
    Ouiser- Wanda Sykes
    Truvy- levetta devine
    Annelle- anika noni rose

October 13, 2011 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  85. hamburger steak

In the back seat of your automobile I left some of my doo doo.

October 13, 2011 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  86. Shirley

Ok, this is freaking ridiculous. I'm a black woman and even I'm not for this. I love "Steel Magnolias", so why does it have to be "remade" with black actors? Honestly I get sick and tired when I hear these things. By doing this what is this proving, nothing that's what. It doesn't matter if the movie was made with black actors or white actors, it's a movie about the closeness of family and friends in a small town community. If you can relate to this then so be it. Really do we need to "segregate" ourselves by re-doing a classic movie such as this so "black people" can relate, I don't think so. If that's the case let's remake Boyz n da Hood to the Neighborhood Boys. Til this day I can not watch the remake of "Wizard of Oz" which was called "The Wiz" with Diana Ross, it was stupid from beginning to end.

People how can we move forward when we keep doing things like remaking "Steel Magnolias" with an all black cast. I can honestly tell you I will not watch it. They need to take it off of Lifetime and put it on BET.

Whether you like it or not that's my opinion.

October 13, 2011 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  87. Wink

I'm remaking "For Colored Girls" as "For White Girls". No I'm not that would be gay.

October 13, 2011 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  88. Won't be watching

I expect a lot of "Mmmmmm hmmmmmmmmm!" and "Oh no you di'int!" and "You GO girl!".

October 13, 2011 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  89. Jungg

Reverse-race Webster! Oh, wait, blacks don't adopt outside of their race...

October 13, 2011 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
  90. Celo says

F you

October 13, 2011 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  91. Heaan

its all pink on the inside

October 13, 2011 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |
  92. Seriously???

You've got to be kidding me.

I'm speechless. This is the stupidest thing that I've ever heard.

October 13, 2011 at 8:18 am | Report abuse |
  93. Whoopi Goldberg

do NOT come to me for this film FFS

October 13, 2011 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
  94. Shibbidees

power to ya my bruva's

October 13, 2011 at 8:10 am | Report abuse |
  95. Thenextstep

Ooooh Geeze !!!!!!!!! Why don'y they remake Happy Days............ A black Ron Howard and Fonzie................

October 13, 2011 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Sarge

LMAO! And don't forget about a black Arnold! Wait, there already was one of those in Diffrent Strokes.

Instead of Fonzie's "Ayyyyyyyyy" with the thumbs up, it would be a gang sign with "AAAAIGHT!"

October 13, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Meh

Woot for Obsidian Magnolias

October 13, 2011 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
  97. WordSmith75

OK so do The Color Purple with an all white cast-why cant the story stand on its own?
    why does it have to come down to the color of the actors???

October 13, 2011 at 7:32 am | Report abuse |
  98. 1RingyDingy

How about a black Brokeback Mountain remake ? Could bring back some beautiful memories for all you ex-cons out there.

October 13, 2011 at 7:19 am | Report abuse |
  99. deb

Casting calls being held now for the 43 kids total between all the women and the 43 baby daddies.

October 13, 2011 at 6:05 am | Report abuse |
  100. Chely

Istead of a all black cast why don't hey mix it up wih actors from diffrent cultures Black,White ,Hispanic ???

October 13, 2011 at 6:04 am | Report abuse |
  101. Mike R

Think of all those black and white videos of white police beating and hosing black people in the middle of the last century... We are going to see american kharma flip things in many interesing ways.... So deal with it. Reap what your race sows...

October 13, 2011 at 5:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Tony

Reap what your race sows? Is that why there are so many black people in prison? There's your karma.

October 13, 2011 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
    • That Guy

Let me explain and clariy some blarring errors in your uneducated post. You said numerous times, "Your race"... news flash Malcom X, we are ALL the same race, the HUMAN RACE. I believe what your undeveloped gray matter wanted to say was, "Your ethnicity". Now go back to to your mirror and razor, it's noon already and you have more sleep to get.

October 13, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Karlee

Reap what our race sow?! Really? Are you saying because black people were enslaved that they should remake every all-white casted movie and make it an all-black cast to make up for it? No one alive right now had anything to do with anyone being enslaved, so it was a very stupid thing to say. I would never hope of anyone trying to make a tyler perry movie, or any other movie that features an all black, all mexican, or all anything cast in a different race movie. Eapecially the older classic movies. I think its stupid and wrong to do that, and kind of racist. What, you cant watch a movie, and relate to it unless its your race?

October 13, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Margie

Mike R....well if black people would quit acting like idiots and act like decent human beings then white police wouldn't have to be "hosing" them as you put it. Who do you see always committing most of the crime..... black guys. So when your race start behaving as cilivilized human beings then maybe the "hosing" will stop.. Amen for the police who try to keep our cities safe from hoodlums.

October 13, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike R

@margie: you could use a hoodlum hose yourself sister

October 14, 2011 at 2:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Mike R

One thing I know for sure. Ever since Barack became president and brought balance to our american kharma, I knew for a fact: that, all white people are now the n_gg__s.

October 14, 2011 at 2:54 am | Report abuse |
  102. Ghost

I agree with Jessica 10:44. It "feels" wrong...

October 13, 2011 at 4:43 am | Report abuse |
  103. SomeGuy

"the network is developing an original movie based on the hit film"

I guess that doesn't make it really original then, does it?

October 13, 2011 at 3:04 am | Report abuse |
  104. Say What?

Remember when In Living Color had "Colorized films" and it was just some old movie with an all black cast? LOL

October 13, 2011 at 3:03 am | Report abuse |
  105. GWB

Let's remake "ROOTS" with Tobey McGuire as Kunta Kintay.

October 13, 2011 at 2:21 am | Report abuse |
  106. Leroy

It will be called "Steal Magnolias" because they be stealins stuff all da time.

October 13, 2011 at 2:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Tony

The first 5 minutes will be the crime and the last 85 minutes will be the time.

October 13, 2011 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
  107. A

To set the record straight, the movie industry remaking old movies is not new...it's been done through out the decades, there were twqo remakes of A STAR IS BORN, IMITATION OF LIFE(the remake was way better than the original), KIN G KONG, GODZILLA, as well as movies being bsed on stage plays, and such. kids, learn your history before you start foaming at the mouth hollering Hollywoods run out of ideas,

October 13, 2011 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
  108. Dee

I was only 3 years old when this movie came out but I watched it growing up and as an adult it is one of my favorites. Re-making it just to be PC is idiotic. Can Hollywood REALLY not come up with anything else?? Why are they remaking all these movies that were CLASSICS to begin with?? Don't remake it, if anything re-release it in 3D like they have with all the cartoon movies lol.

October 13, 2011 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
  109. Oodoodanoo

I tried to pitch a re-make of this film as an action adventure. However, nobody seemed interested in "Steel Mongolians".

October 13, 2011 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
  110. NikL

I have been perturbed by all the remakes getting done; Dirty Dancing, Footloose, etc. because the original films were really well done, but to remake Steel Magnolias is just plain stupid. The movie was perfect in every way; casting, writing, directing, and marketing. Nothing Lifetime can make, no matter how good the cast is, will ever come close.

October 13, 2011 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
    • irishlass429

I AGREE STOP WITH THE REMAKES ALL READY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LEAVE THE OLDER MOVIES ALONE PLEASE

October 13, 2011 at 5:02 am | Report abuse |
  111. Matt

all black cast?.....maybe they can call it–Steal Car-nations-

October 12, 2011 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
  112. jaimi

casting is beginning soon?!?! sign me up! :) where??

October 12, 2011 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  113. sueellen johnson

shelby: thadie newton with shermar moore, tyrese or chris brown
    m'lynn: alfre woodard with vin diesel or omar epps
    clairee: viola davis
    ouiser: loretta devine
    truvy:queen latifah
    annelle: marsha thomason

October 12, 2011 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  114. Mental1981

I wish whites would take Tyler Perry and all his crap movies as I've had quite enough of him, but whatever you do, please don't give him back. Throw some salt on him and send him to Iran, North Korea or Mars for all we care.

October 12, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Jessica

why? the original was good but making an all black version of anything feels like a seperation and a bit racist,

October 12, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  116. pyschobarb

wow....I bet half of you on here will claim that you are not racist, yet as I read most of these comments, I see differently...big deal...who cares if the movie is remade with an all black cast...i love the movie the way it is and don't think it needs to be remade, but you people are upset that it is being remade with an all black cast which makes all you racist whether you BELIEVE it or not....I wonder if they didn't mention "all black cast" would there be so many rude comments??????

October 12, 2011 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Misty

Ughh..Really this is a very stupid idea!! Why steer so far from the original..why not use emma roberts Julias neice..sorry nothing against african americans but keep the movie the same

October 12, 2011 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  118. Diressa

I don't understand why the cast has to be all black. I really enjoyed the all white cast and I'm white. I love this movie. I don't think that race should determine the stars of the movie, rather the quality of the actors.

October 12, 2011 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  119. M

I'm insulted and offended.

October 12, 2011 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  120. Scott W

Hey.. let's just take a WIZ and remake WHIZ! er, well, vice versa. Just axin'.

October 12, 2011 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Scott

I say, let us 'ole white foke whip up a heapin' big 'ole pot a "ROOTS" and a see them thar colored fokes a hev a darn bug hart atack. Fixin' to get a buncha peepo AXIN' fer truble.

October 12, 2011 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  122. Ghost

The producers will not get big screen actresses to play the parts. I don't know and therefore don't understand the reason behind this premise. Why an all black cast?

October 12, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Mongo likes candy

By the way,
    This movie is already in the can, twice. Its called "Beauty Shop" by Queen Latifa.

October 12, 2011 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  124. Duck Dodgers

Might as well do yaya sisters also. It should black up just fine.

October 12, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  125. Rick Springfield

Just have Oprah play all the parts and use digital rendering like with Nutty Professor.

October 12, 2011 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  126. cora

THIS IS RACIST!!!

October 12, 2011 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  127. jackie

You can remake till the cows come home and use whoever you to play the parts but it will NEVER top the original!

October 12, 2011 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  128. Bullstreet

I will watch this ridiculous UNORIGINAL movie when they remake Good Times, The Jeffersons, The Cosby Show and just one of Tyler Perry's boring movies with all white casts.

I don't have a problem with an all black movie – there are several that I have thought were great movies, but I do have a problem with taking a great classic and remaking it in any way, shape or form. Just like I would have a problem with them remaking "Two Can Play That Game" with an all white cast, it would be a horrible remake just like this all black Steel Magnolias will be horrible. I would be against them remaking Steel Magnolias even if it were with an all white cast again.

If the people at Lifetime or in Hollywood or whereever cannot come up with an original idea and have to screw up a great classic, then they need to find another job in a different line of work.

October 12, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bullstreet

Another great example – How Stella Got Her Groove Back and Waiting to Exhale – I loved those movies, but remaking either or both of them with an all white cast would be horrible!

October 12, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  129. Erica

They have a movie with an all black cast of female friends living their life...it's called Waiting to Exhale. There's no need for this remake. Why can't they leave movies alone? No offense to black women but seriously, is this movie necessary?

October 12, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  130. lisa

I am conflicted I love the movie and remakes tend to miss the mark. It's sad that it has to become a black and white thing again in forums. As long as lifetime does the play justice who really cares what color the actors are. I'll watch it!

October 12, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  131. Hanna

Eve you are pathetic and SICK! Sickle Cell is nothing to joke about. I'm with Harold, pandering over race is a waste of time. Mary if you think that whites can truely represent the characters in Color Purple then do it. There are so many racist people posting comments on here it makes me sick. I'm to see how our society still has a 50's mentality

October 12, 2011 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  132. Jules

And is everyone forgetting that this play is based on the playwright's own life? These people were his family and he's a white man. Seems kind of wrong.

October 12, 2011 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  133. Quinn

Racism is still alive and well. It has been proven by these comments. But guess what...GET OVER IT! Cry like a baby but Lifetime is going to remake this and I am going to watch. If you hate the idea then JUST DON'T WATCH IT! DUH!!! At the end of the day your petty opinions will not effect the network or this remake. THE SHOW GOES ON!

October 12, 2011 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • buford T Blue

They put out press releases to get audience reaction. The PR firms then measure this response and that determines if the execs will sign off on the expense. This project would come in around $10M for sure. If it tanks at the onset then they may just decide its not worth it. Considering the comments, I'm sure its not totally greenlit right now.

October 12, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  134. Steve

Being a Black American, I say this, why? What is the purpose? Black America is the 3rd largest minority. Why not have a Asian cast or Latino? What, what? Am I missing something here? Liberal Hollywood will do ANYTHING to get 3 votes. Just like Herman, been off the Democrat Plantation.

October 12, 2011 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  135. Again

@ Tony, the Huxtables were done all white. The Brady Bunch, Little House on The Prarie, Eight is Enough, Family Matters, Family Ties, Leave it to Beaver, Father Knows Best, and so on, and so, and so on.

October 12, 2011 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ Carol

While those shows were triumphs, they did not cast the black family as a complete unit. Julia was a single mother, and the others where good shows but not family based. Mom, Dad, Kids. And please don't mention Good Times.

October 12, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ Again

The cast of Family Matters was white?! It all makes sense now!

October 12, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  136. Ken

Why would there be an all white A Raisin in the Sun? The whole premise of the play is that a black family is moving into an all white neighborhood. I don't see the same situation happening in the reverse. Although, if you think about it, it would be an original idea. But again, the reason a story like A Raisin in The Sun was written in the first place is because of the biased laws that existed then.

October 12, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carol

Ken, Begore The Huxtabeles, in the sixties there was Julia with Diane Carroll, sventies, The Jeffersons, Sandford m& Son and a few others...

October 12, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kat

...Just as Bobby Harling's family is WHITE and the story at the core of "Steel Magnolias" is about the illness and subsequent death of his (WHITE) sister...duh! The other charaters are WHITE because they are based on real persons (composites) who all happen to be WHITE...get over yourself....who's the racist?

October 13, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  137. Nikki

I don't understand why everyone is trying to remake classics. They are classics leave them alone they stand great alone. Im African American and I don't agree with this at all. I would love to see more black actresses in a funny yet dramatic movie but not Steel Magnolias. This is not a good idea its like someone remaking the Color Purple and putting an all white cast in it. Leave the classics alone. I wouldn't go see Steel Magnolias remade no matter what color the cast was the original is just too good.

October 12, 2011 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  138. freddy

some classics are just never the same remade. Why dont they write a new script in the vein of the story and create something brand new, now that would be awesome! black, white (im white) still the same story, no matter. "REALLY"

October 12, 2011 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  139. Ken

Everyone forgets that most all sitcoms before the Huxtables were all white. Also no one is saying that if a movie or program is of one ethnicity that it only targets that ethnicity (if that was the case then) most all movies, TV shows, commericals, magazines would only be catering to white america. It's only people that think that they can't learn anything about anyone else, would think that, if it's an all black, hispanic, or asian cast, then only that group can appreciate, or watch it. Everyone forgets that before others were shown on TV, one would have thought the world looked like the Lawrence Welk show.

October 12, 2011 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  140. sibby

Personally, I would like to see A Raisin in the Sun remade with an all white cast. It would be extremely enlightening to the viewing audience. BUT I do like the fact that people are OUTRAGED that it is being remade with an all black cast but not OUTRAGED the original film had an all white cast in the first place. LOL! Just selective outrage I guess. LOL!

To the person who made the idiotic comment about not watching a film that doesn't have a person in it that looks like u , that would mean that black people would hardly ever be at the movies and u know that is not true cause we are the ones always talking loudly at the screen as if the characters can hear us. LOL!

October 12, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lesley

You should know that the original movie was made with an all white cast because it is based on someone's real life. It wasn't some kind of plot. There are a lot of movies, fictional and otherwise, that are made with all white or all black casts. It doesn't require outrage; it just is what it is. Why something iconic would be re-made in the first place is beyond me, but to make it about race in the remake is a bit ridiculous if you ask me, but if there's even a potential market for it then there's money to be made and someone to scoop it up... Really not worth such a fuss. Either go see it or don't...

October 12, 2011 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • A

A RAISIN IN T HE SUN with an all white cast? WHy is there not one? That would be stupid.....HAVE YOU EVER READ A RAISIN IN THE SUN, much less seen the play, watched the movie????? Steel Magnolias transcends all racial barriers, andyes with all an black cast, it woul be interesting to see how it would be presented andwho the new cast would be. So just sit down and read your African AMerican literature before you comment again.

October 13, 2011 at 1:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Kat

The movie had a all-white cast because the characters were based on Robert Harling's story of his sister dying of complications from diabetes and he is white, as was his sister, his mother, and all the others associated with the TRUE story. Do your damn homework! You can try, but you cannot change the entire race of a family at whim! Do you want a blue-eyed Scandinavian blonde playing MLK in a film?? Get real...

October 13, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  141. Di

I don't see why they feel they need to do this but if they are..My Suggestions:

Truvy Jones: Holly Robinson Peete or Jasmine Guy
    M'Lynn Eatenton: either Alfre Woodard, Phylicia Rashad or Angela Basset
    Shelby Eatenton Lacherie: Beyonce, Journee Smollett, Anika Nola Rose, Alicia Keyes or Zoe Seldana
    Ouisser Boudreaux: Jennifer Lewis or the Lady that Plays in Meet the Browns (The lady with the bad wig)
    Claree: Debbie Allen, Qeen Latifah or Dawn Lewis
    Jackson Lacherie; Mekhi Phefer, Tyrese Gibson, Malik Yoba
    Drum Eatenton: Delroy Lindo, Laurence Fishburne
    Shelby's Brother: Jaden Smith

With all due respect, I don't think it will do the original justice.....But then again that is what I said with the Karate Kid and that was a hell of a lot better than the original....Just my opinion

October 12, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sarge

The REMAKE of Karate Kid is better than the original????? You're kidding, right? The remake was one of the biggest miscarriages in film history.

October 13, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  142. Ancientone

I have no issues with color=blind casting. Would have loved tosee the black cast of "On Golden Pond" on Broadway. But this play is based upon the author's family.

May I now play Mrs MLK?

October 12, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  143. finnyd420

Oh I know how about an all gay version on Logo and then a Latino version on Univision, how about British version on the BBC America. I could go on all day.

October 12, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  144. Geezer

Like the white version wasn't enough of an eye sore. I still have nightmares watching this.

October 12, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • M

I love this movie, but your comment made me laugh. Reminds me of how my hubby feels about Lifetime lol.

October 12, 2011 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  145. Grace

People are posting these ridiculously, inflamed comments about–yes, a remake of a classic, though most importantly–a LIFETIME MOVIE. So what? How many of you actually care about what's shown on Lifetime anyway???

October 12, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • B Elle

I don't watch it much, mostly stupid stuff. However, I find it offensive to take a classic movie and remake it into a all African American movie. It is in poor taste not to mention inappropriate.

October 12, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Geezer

Lifetime: Men bashing and castration channel.

October 12, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • whocares

Good Point!!!

October 13, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  146. fandweller

The main point is when the play and screenplay were written by the author it was 6 white southern Louisana women. This is like changing the Wizard of Oz, oops we did that. How successful was that? How about remaking Casper?

October 12, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  147. B Elle

This is absolutely the most stupid thing I have heard in a while....... a long while. First, why re-do something that was already perfect as it was. Next, why cast an all black cast??? I think some folks are lacking in their creativness and should be fired. If you can't come up with a good story on your own, dont' go and smear a classic. AIRHEADS

October 12, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carol

You seem to have a lot of pent up anger. You should take a few minutes and think about why this simple subject upsets you so much.

October 12, 2011 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Really Carol????

Really Carol? Who appointed you the Dear Abby therapist of CNN? Are people not allowed to have their own opinion anymore? I glance through these comments on various stories from time to time and I swear I know why the country is in trouble.... It is full of self-centered, arrogant, self-righteous people that have no goodwill towards their fellow man. Carol... take some of your own advice... go back and read a few of your own posts and if the shoe fits......

October 13, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  148. Haroldwolf

Pandering to races is racism.

October 12, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  149. karma

Why not a remake of "The Beverly Hillbillies" with a black cast. Geez!

October 12, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • emma

They did and they called it 'Fresh Prince of Bel Air'.
      There is nothing wrong with a remake as long as it is well done; my issue with remakes is that they are usually NOT well done and are just used to make money off one currently popular actor. BTW the ballet Giselle was restaged in the Louisiana bayou and was considered an enormous hit and an inspired setting [yes, it was an all-Black company] so let them try this and maybe it will be original too.

October 13, 2011 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  150. win486

Will it end differently? Will Shelby live? Otherwise I know the ending...............

October 12, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  151. mary

Ok, so they want to do a Black Steel Magnolia's are they going to do a white Color Purple? Just asking.

October 12, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  152. meemee

Shelby-Alicia Keys
    M'ylnn-Phylicia Rashad
    Truvy-Loretta Devine
    Ouiser-Jennifer Lewis
    Anelle-Taraji Henson
    Clairee-Anna Maria Horsford

Don't really think there should be a remake. Why tamper with perfection? But, since they are doing one, I think this would be a great cast.

October 12, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  153. carmelbeanie

well i loved the movie, i watch it everytime i catch it on television; however, it is a lily white cast. no one of any race represented except 2 people the scene at the wedding reception dancing. well louisiana is a very mixed culture. and it would be nice to see the differences from the 2 because the cultures are different and i love the differences and appreciate them as well. i am from mississippi and i would welcome a new way of looking at a very popular film, that both black and white can view and appreciate each one.

October 12, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carol

You know, I was thinking about what you said, about the differences in the cultures. I might have to agree with you on that. It might be interesting to see how they do it. I mean, we can't expect the script to be exactly the same, just with an all-black cast. It would ahve to be different culturally. And considering it's based in Louisiana, would they set it in a post-Katrina time or would they go back to the 80's?
      Does anyone remember the movie Pollyanna, with Hayley Mills? They remade that at some point as a "black version" called Polly (I think). I saw it once or twice and loved it, probably more than Pollyanna. I can't find it anywhere, though! If the black Steel Magnolias turns out to be just as great as the original white version, let's hope it doesn't get lost, too.
      I still, however, stick to my original opinion that Hollywood is not as creative as it used to be.

October 12, 2011 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  154. be quiet

this is beyond offensive. what if the next project was an all white version of "A Raisin in the Sun"?

October 12, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carol

Comparing A Raisin in The Sun to Steel Magnolia's is unintelligent.. The only reason some of you are upset is because it's an "all Black cast". Hollywood has been making remakes for many years. Immitation of Life, Black Velvet and on and on...

October 12, 2011 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • be quiet

Carol, you should learn how to spell "imitation" before calling others unintelligent.

October 13, 2011 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
    • WhoCares

Who cares what color the actors are that remake movies. This comment section, like most comment sections is just a forum for racist people to make racist comments. I am sure that the NAACP has better things to do than voice an opinion about a remake of a Tyler Perry movie with an all white cast. If there is ever a remake of a movie that was originally done by an all black cast, I would love to see it!!

October 13, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  155. Loni

I'm black and love when a good black film is made. But PLEASE do not remake this movie. I LOVE this movie and can't imagine it ever being remade no matter who or what race the people are. This movie is a classic and needs to be left alone.

October 12, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michelle

I am also Black. I want to say thank you. I agree. Besides how is it a original if it's a remake. Is this an aoxymoron?

October 12, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Erica

I'm white, and I personally don't care what race is playing what. I love all movies (hello Waiting to Exhale was phenomonal!!), Even a remake was played by people who are purple..I DON"T CARE!! Just please stop remaking GOOD movies in general. Whenever they do a remake, they screw up a good thing. They should take the crappy and remake those..maybe improve them. If ain't broken, Don't fix it!!

October 12, 2011 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  156. Tiffany

This bothers me, Hollywood cannot come up with any new ideas so we must now remake everything, all of these movies that have been remade were fine without having to make it bigger and better or whatever. If the tables were turned a movie with an all black cast would never allow for a remake with a full white cast, I mean really! REALLY????

October 12, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  157. s

deda picked all coloured women with obvious white blood-light skin blacks-a bit pro-white aren't you?

October 12, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Decima

I think you need to go over to imdb.com and familiarize yourself with who some of these actresses are.

October 12, 2011 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • M

How is that being pro-white? What would it matter if they were partially white or all black? Sounds to me like you are prejudiced against white people....

October 12, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  158. KajinPL

Ok. Speaking as a black person, I just want to say.....................why?!

October 12, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • SmokDham

Easy, money can be made. Why does no one ever understand this? The movie business is a BUSINESS. Obviously someone will watch it and someone will make money from it. Plain and simple.

October 12, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  159. Amy

PLEASE stop remaking great old movies ....isnt there any originality left in this world???

October 12, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  160. RaiderFan702

WHAT THE HELL REALLY COME ON PEOPLE FIRST FOOTLOOSE THEN DIRTY DANCING NOW THIS REALLY STOP WITH THE REMAKES GEEZ I WILL BE BOYCOTTING ALL MOVIE REMAKES! i didnt even watch the dukes of hazard even the i love johnny and sean

October 12, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  161. Laura

This is crazy,can't they come up with something new. It's like remaking Footloose,to suit this generation.Or Point Break with Patrick and Keanu,( i hope i spelled that right ),who would you find to play their parts,I am sorry but the talent pool of today's actors,is not the greatest.

October 12, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • M

I agree. All the actors nowadays are just Disney rejects. I fear for the future of movies.

October 12, 2011 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  162. Annie

Now every black man can be tortured by this movie like every white man has been over the years having to watch it with their girlfriend. Don't get me wrong I love the movie but really?.?.?

October 12, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  163. Deda

It would be great. Here are my picks.

Julia Roberts – Journee Smollet-Bell

Sallie Fields – Lyn Whitfield

Shirley MacLaine – Phylicia Rashad

Olympia Dukais – Vanessa Williams

Dolly Pardon – Alfre Woodard; Viola Davis; Jennifer Lewis

Daryl Hannah – Either one of the following: Anika Noni Rose, Taraji Henson, Thandie Newton, Paula Patton

October 12, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • jane

I think Wanda Sykes needs to play the "Ouiser" role...I think she would be hilarious! Just like Shirely was!!!!

October 12, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • A

Whoopi and wanda Sykes ass Ouiser and Clairee, perfect!

October 13, 2011 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
  164. oleg

LOL Evel ! : )

October 12, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  165. charlie crack

Whoopy Goldberg needs to play the Darryl Hannah part. She won an Oscar.

October 12, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pam

No, Whoopi needs to play Ouiser. She could do it justice.

October 12, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • M

Whoopi Goldberg in Daryl Hannah's part? Really? Daryl's character was only supposed to be in her early 20's. How the heck would Whoopi pull that off??

October 12, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  166. Vickie

Angela Bassett as "Ouiser"

October 12, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  167. Susan

I am so sick of all these older movies being redone. Come up with some new ideas for a change. Steel Magnolias is a great movie, and there is no way to improve on it!!!! Just stop the madness!!!!

October 12, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • RaiderFan702

well said susan! and i agree laura

October 12, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • mike

youknow what i'm sick of...people who say "Hollywood has run out of ideas" or "are there no original ideas anmore". Hollywood has plenty of original films. Look at the box office. There are only a a couple of remakes or sequels..original films are released all the time. go out and see them. go see 50/50, moneyball, the ides of march, real steel. the top five at the Box office are all original films.

October 12, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carol

Hey Mike, you do realize that 50/50 and Moneyball, at least, are movies based on actual events, right? I mean, it's not that difficult to come up with a script based on real life events. And while I partially agree with you that there have been some pretty creative new movie ideas lately, I'm going to have to agree with the others here and say that Hollywood writers in practice have been rather uncreative. Remakes and sequels abounded at the box office this past summer. And similarly plotted movies have come out in the same year (Skyline and Battle: Los Angeles, & Deep Impact and Armageddon come to mind). Sometimes people, myself included, like seeing remakes and seeing if they do the original writers and actors any justice. But I think the main point here is that most of the original movies that make it to the box office aren't that great, and so people forget about them. But a large percentage of the movies that do get to the box office are based (strongly or loosely) on other movies; you just don't get the same kind of originality as you used to. I may be cynical about that, considering I'm hardly 30, but that is my (strong) opinion on the matter. And for the record, Steel Magnolias is one of my favorite movies and I hope that when they do remake it, it doesn't turn into a reunion of the cast of The Color Purple or another version of Beauty Shop or whatever that movie was that was basically a female version of Barber Shop. Hollywood needs to stop remaking old classics or making spinoffs and calling them original.

October 12, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • SmokDham

Yea, except the movie we based on a play, so it's n ot like it was original either...

October 12, 2011 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Comedy Chick

And the play was written by Robert Harling based on the death of his younger sister.

October 13, 2011 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Marilyn

Agreed, they re-make movies because no one has any original ideas anymore. I still can't get over the re-make of Footloose; jeez, Hollywood, use your brains!

October 14, 2011 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  168. I'm a Raptor

This is okay? If they tried to make a Tyler Perry movie with a white cast NAACP would be all over it screaming about hate. This is ridiculous. Doesn't anybody have any original ideas?

October 12, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Regina

BINGO!!!!!

October 12, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Me

EXACTLY!!!!

October 12, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Disgusted

No, NO ONE in Hollywood is able to come up with new ideas anymore. Creativity and originality in screenplays is extinct. Anyone see that the 3 Musketeers has been remade AGAIN????

October 12, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

You seem pretty upset...Your beef is with Lifetime not with Tyler Perry or the black audience or the NAACP...Last I checked I haven't heard any pleas for a remake of Steel Magnolias with a Black or White cast from Black or White audiences...

October 12, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bullstreet

You hit the nail on the head!!!! They could remake the Brady Bunch with an all black cast, but if someone tried to remake a Tyler Perry movie with all white people, all hell would break loose and the NAACP would try to sue everyone involved!!!

October 12, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mental1981

Please Please Please take Tyler Perry. Take all his crap movies and make them white but whatever you do, please don't give him back. Throw some salt on him and send him to Iran for all we care.

October 12, 2011 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • iilthoughts

Such a ignorant statement. FRIENDS was basically a remake of LIVING SINGLE. Their writers hung out at auditions and shows then a year later Jeniffer Aniston and company was born. Everyone does it. Hell the last few movies Hollywood has made were Asian movies redone. I don't know if you're a racist or just trying to sound like one. I do agree that Hwood needs original material but Corporate America wants remakes because we already know the material.

October 13, 2011 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
    • lauradet

You sound ridiculous, the NAACP would care less who Tyler Perry cast in his movies. The movie had an all white cast and no one complained, why are you crying about an all black cast? I tell you, all you people do is cry and whine about everything.

October 13, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • lauradet

LMAO, everyday on the Maury show I get to enjoy the reality of little white girls trying to find out who their baby's daddy is. Tune in so you get a good dose of what really happening in this country. Some of the little white girls go through 3 to 10 men before the find the right one. : )

October 13, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robert

You are correct, if you mention "All White" cast the naacp would be all over you. If you just did it and didn't say anything, that's a different story. The fact of the matter is that they are openly doing this and call it an all Black cast. That's the part that is silly. Hire the best person for the job. Not the best person of a specific color.

October 13, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Karlee

I completely agreee with you. These kind of things need to be left alone. Black people would get mad if a all black casted movie/tv show was re-done in an all white, or all whatever else race movie. Just as any race would get mad/upset. Its would be better just to leave well enough alone.

October 13, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Les

While Adam Sandler will be doing just that making a Tyler Perry like movies its called Jack & Jill

October 14, 2011 at 7:36 am | Report abuse |
  169. Anomic Office Drone

i know it happens often, but remakes to target a specific ethnic group make my skin crawl It's like saying "here watch this because you're either too racist and ignorant to watch it unless someone who looks like you is the star".

October 12, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • yeah, and?

you make my skin crawl...

October 12, 2011 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • lauradet

You make my skin crawl, too.

October 13, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robert

It's called acceptable racism. It's acceptable to racist if you are not a white person. If a TV channel said they were going to reproduce "Good Times" with an all white cast what do you think the reaction would be?

October 13, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Feast of Beast

I agree, Drone. Nothing can ever remain original, can it? I it must have a PC twist to it. If they remade "Gilligan's Island", the Howells would be black, Mary Ann would be Asian, the Professor would be transgender, Ginger would be hispanic and the Skipper and Gilligan would be gay. Ethnic catering like they are doing with this remake doesn't just make my skin crawl, it p*sses me off!

October 13, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Margie

Anomic Office Drone... you are so right. Hit the nail on the head. Blacks just have to be heard. I'm surprised they are not calling the movie a racist movie.

October 13, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tex Gritter

Drone, Beast and Robert: You gentlemen are right on. You gents couldn't have hit any more dead on if you had of fired a Cruise missile at this topic. It is ONLY racist IF you are WHITE! Preach it, brethren!

October 13, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • B

Have you seen the original movie? It's an all white cast – doesn't that seem a little racist? Oh wait – you're white so that's normal to you. Your comment smacks of ignorance and your inability to see past your own white nose.

October 13, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lexx

October 13, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anomic Office Drone

There is a big difference between a mixed race cast that actually represents diversity, and pandering to a specific race by casting it with only actors from that race. As haroldwolf said so succinctly below, pandering to races is racism.

October 14, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • pebbles

In response to B's comment about the cast being all white in the original.... Are you aware that the movie is based on a true story in which the portrayed people are WHITE! How does that make it racist. Stupid comments like that are what make it impossible for any race to overcome racism.

October 23, 2011 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |
  170. CEW

Viola Davis could play the mother of the bride. Octavia Spenser could play the salon owner. Queen Latifah could play the wealthy curmugeon. Zoe Saldana could play the bride. Nichelle Nichols could play the widow. And Jennifer Hudson could play the beauty assistant.

October 12, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • SAILOR

Agree. That is a perfect cast, though you could swap out a couple of the women with other great actresses and it'd still be perfect.

October 13, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • just me

Steel Magnolias is one of my ALL TIME FAVORITES. It's perfect when you need a good cry.

I think the suggests for cast members are right on. It's a story that transcends race – love between Mother and Daughter, and the perfect love you have for a grandbaby. I"m sure all of the Mom's, Daughters and Grand Moms (MiMi in my case) can agree. And with sooo many blended families now, why would it matter what color the actors?

I'll love this movie site unseen! Just let me know when it's coming out.

October 13, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Raine

Why don't they call Fantasia...fast....she is already pregnant...

October 13, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Misschameleon

Brilliant. I can hardly wait for it to come out.

October 13, 2011 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  171. Missi

hehehehe Exactly!

October 12, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  172. @ Tony

Winning comment right there... best one on all the blogs today!

October 12, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  173. Regina

Beautifully said, Tony!! Unbelievale!! Hello – some originality, please!!!!!

October 12, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  174. me

Funny! But too true- why remake everything this way to be "PC"? I have no desire to watch this or the remake of Karate Kid, etc...
    They'll all be sisters under the Southern sun! Oooh, girl!

October 12, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  175. Carol

Tony:
    Is ignorance bliss?

October 12, 2011 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  176. Bill H

They did. It's called Modern Family

October 12, 2011 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  177. Bullstreet

That is an EXCELLENT idea!!!! But unfortunately if someone tried to do that it would be considered racist :)

October 12, 2011 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  178. Jo-Nathan

My suggestions for the re-casting of Steel Magnolias. I really enjoyed the first, will definately see any re-make.
    Here we go: :-)

AMEN!

October 12, 2011 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  180. Bon

Agreed!

October 12, 2011 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  181. Revolution

Who would they get to play the dad and mom, theo, denise, rudy and vanessa? Let's think about that – any suggestions?

October 12, 2011 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  182. Moosh

or Sanford and Son

October 13, 2011 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
  183. Anold

The Huxtables were already white........

October 13, 2011 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  184. anonymous

They do......it's called every sitcom on network tv

October 13, 2011 at 5:32 am | Report abuse |
  185. GUEST

There is an easy fix here- Hollywood needs to start including other races in their productions. When the majority of film and television is one race, its enables nonsense such as this. Just one character of color in the original version would of made this idea null and void.

Until real diversity is applied to the masses, there will always be a market for alternatives!

October 13, 2011 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
  186. Rock

Yay- the white Cliff pushing vanilla pudding pops

October 13, 2011 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
  187. newbie

Yes....it is a bad idea to remake this film. However, I wasn't aware that it is ok to stereotype based on a fruit.

October 12, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  188. Terri

Really? You had to go THERE? You are an unevolved human being.

October 12, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  189. beefromnj

great, you picked most of the people i picked. i said Whoopi as Ouiza I can see Jennifer Lewis playing olympia dukakis's part. Loretta Divine as Mulin and Kimberly Elise as Shelby and Anika Noni Rose as Anelle.

October 13, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  190. Lexx

LOL ! you guys are so funny! The movie was made as it was for a reason, go make your own freaki'n movie! Why re-do something that sucked in the first place!?

October 13, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |