Rosie O'Donnell swaps Tom Cruise for Russell Brand
October 11th, 2011

Rosie O'Donnell swaps Tom Cruise for Russell Brand

Remember when Rosie O'Donnell would gush about Tom Cruise on “The Rosie O’Donnell Show”? Well, E! News reports that O’Donnell’s got a new man crush along with her new series. Goodbye Tom, hello Russell Brand.

"He's replaced Tom Cruise, he has,” Rosie says of British bad boy Russell, who happened to be the first guest on "The Rosie Show." “I sent him a little text, I said, 'Tommy, I'll always love you, move over, Russell Brand is in.' "

"The Queen of Nice" also shared that her new boss, OWN head Oprah Winfrey, did a little house call to check on Rosie’s mental state.

"You have a brand new network, you want to see [if] this woman [is] going to be screaming at anyone or is she very upset and can't keep her mouth shut? Is this woman a little off? I can't blame her, I would've done the same thing," O’Donnell said.

As for her new show’s debut, there were mixed reviews, reports the Huffington Post. The L.A. Times' Mary McNamara said the premiere had potential, calling it a "not-bad, pretty good, kinda funny, sort of smart debut."

“The Rosie Show” airs Mondays, 7 p.m. ET on OWN.

Filed under: Celebrities • television • Tom Cruise

1. family cruises

Excellent issues altogether, you simply received a new reader. What may you suggest about your publish that you simply made a few days ago? Any positive?

May 26, 2012 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Daphne

I always thought Russell Brand was funny but just another dumb celebrity, until I saw him on Larry King – he was so hilarious, articulate, and threw in references from a lot of different sources. He came across as intelligently loopy!

October 13, 2011 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  3. Nicky

Russell Brand is absolutely gorgeous. He can sing, act, make people laugh and he's extremely intelligent and witty. Katy Perry is one lucky woman. Thank you Britian for giving us Mr. Brand!

October 12, 2011 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  4. madhater

I would never ever throw it in her.

October 12, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  5. snaps.currentblips

Tom Cruise cool

Read more: http://www.snaps.currentblips.com/2011/10/cruise-latest-hot-and-cool-pics.html#ixzz1ab2wHxLh

October 12, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Pam

I saw her first 2 shows & they were quite funny. Roseanne Barr is on tonight – should be a hoot!

October 12, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. JoePub

Shave this guys head and he would look like Lurch from the Addams family.

October 12, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jess

Russell Brand is one of my celeb crushes too. Having read his 2 Booky Wooks I can say that he is witty, charming, intelligent, crazy, and has overcome a lot of demons to get to where he is now. He's a great entertainer and I hope to keep being entertained by him for many years to come. Good catch Katy!

October 12, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  9. IlikeTom

I remember her old show where she was always gushing about her Tommy..it was a bid annoying. She can do that to Brand now if she wants; I won't be watching.

October 12, 2011 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  10. Sequoia

Eeeew. Russel Brand is probably the most ghoulish and unnattractive person in entertainment.

October 12, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  11. be quiet

"Rosie, who premiered her new show on OWN yesterday, told “Nightline” that Tom knows he’s out."

Umm, I don't think Tom knows he's out. We've all been waiting for him to come out for years now.

October 12, 2011 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
    • EasilyAmused

LOL! Katie Holmes gets paid a lot to protect that particular closet.

October 12, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Rhonda

I always thought Russell Brand was kind of creepy but everytime I see him on a talk show I am impressed. He's well spoken, seems very sincere and actually sweet in some kind of weird way. He's very honest about his druggy days and quite thoughtful and knowledgeable about alot of things. I was a bit disappointed in this first show of Rosie's, hopefully it will get better. Didn't really like the 'audience ask a question' bit especially with Suze Orman. If Rosie is going to continue with this segment she should do it at the end of the show like Carol Burnett. I hope it gets better because I do like Rosie and think she's very entertaining and has a lot to offer. I just don't like the dark side of her that I've seen. Good luck, Rosie! And good for you, Oprah, for giving her another chance. I think she kind of got screwed over at The View.

October 12, 2011 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
    • EasilyAmused

Actually, Carol Burnett did her Q&A with the audience at the beginning of the show. At the end, she came out, waved and tugged her ear as an "all good" signal to her grandma.

October 12, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • NYCMovieFan

Brand is really lovely in person. We've seen him at book signings and talks in New York, and been very impressed with him in person. He is very kind to fans, thoughtful and hugs just about everyone. He showed extra attention to fans in wheelchairs, making sure that they were cared for. Under that rat's nest of hair and truely irreverent humor, there is a very sweet person. Rosie has chosen well.

October 13, 2011 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  13. Darth Tater

Rosie has a show on OWN – The Oprah Gay Network, because no one else wants to be on it...LMAO!! F U Oprah.

October 12, 2011 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Daphne

ummm the letters in OWN don't exactly lend itself to the Oprah Gay Network, now do they genius?

October 13, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  14. jb2817

She has a bigger schlong than both of them

October 12, 2011 at 7:51 am | Report abuse |
  15. Takin a Deuce

Oprah like Rosie like the network and the show are GOING DOWN! Rosie is a pig and so is Opa.

October 12, 2011 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
  16. David Archuletta

when is someone going to have the guts to ask rosie what happened to her self funded Cmildren of the World Adoption Agency. Why did it commit corporate suicide/////

October 12, 2011 at 2:09 am | Report abuse |
    • EasilyAmused

She did not self-fund the agency, but donated money to it and worked as a spokesperson for a while. Apparently, the issue had ZERO to do with her and everything to do with the promise of open adoptions that turned into issues for the parents who signed their kids away. Adoptive parents were promising to pay the bills for birth mothers, promising regular contact and information, etc. but once the papers were signed, all contact was cut off and nothing was paid despite the contracts. Rosie had nothing to do with that part of the operation.

October 12, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Sk@nk Patrol

she still has that custom-made strap-on cast in Tom Cruise's likeness.

October 11, 2011 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Ellie

I remember when Rosie was yelling out Tom Cruise' name on her show and acting a fool. It was so annoying. I don't blame Oprah for checking on her mental state.

October 11, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  19. LEE

Russell Brand is creepy. I still don't get the Katey Perry thing. She is beautiful and he is...creepy.

October 11, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Laurie

I totally get swapping Brand for Cruise. Cruise is a bore, whereas I find Brand magnetic and funny. Katey Perry lucked out.

October 11, 2011 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Interesting

That's cool... but the fact is no one has a crush on Rosie O'Donnell.

October 11, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |