MTV's 'Chelsea Settles': 'A new kind of heroine'
October 11th, 2011

MTV's 'Chelsea Settles': 'A new kind of heroine'

Here’s a story you haven’t heard before: A 20-something moves to Los Angeles in hopes of breaking into the fashion industry, cultivating new friendships and maybe even finding true love.

But seriously, you haven’t heard this story before.

That’s because this 20-something didn’t grow up in a mansion overlooking the Pacific Ocean. She doesn’t have tons of childhood friends to fall back on during hard times. And she’s been too busy taking care of her sick mother to focus on her own dreams.

Tonight, MTV will introduce viewers to Chelsea Settles - a new kind of heroine for the network, according to a promo for the reality show that’s named after her.

“Aside from being over 300 pounds, I’m just a normal girl,” Settles told CNN. “It will be an authentic, relatable look at the journey, living paycheck to paycheck. It’s not about weight. It never should be. … We all have something we’ve battled. A dream. Something we’re chasing after.”

And, as Settles learns on her journey, size and weight are just numbers.

“I went into it wanting to do this show because I assumed I’d lose weight overnight,” she said. “It was about weight for me in the beginning … but that’s not what this journey is for me anymore.”

It’s about “looking in the mirror and feeling confident and comfortable in my own skin,” she added. “I’m more focused on being mentally happy and stable.”

But as her premiere date draws closer, Settles says she's had to "really consider the fact that people are going to see this. I went into it like, ‘This is my life, this is what I’m going to do.’ The cameras and other stuff was secondary. I wanted it to be honest. Now I’m like, ‘What did I do? What if I had a bad hair day, if I fell or tripped?’ … I may have to hide under the covers. It’s going to be so weird.”

Will you watch “Chelsea Settles” tonight? Premiere episode airs at 11 p.m. ET.

Post by:
Filed under: television

1. Reenie

I never in a million years thought I would watch the show, but I'm hooked. Chelsea is a beautiful spirited person inside and out. Yes there are probably a million overweight people who want to be a designed but apparently she was picked. I think if sh stops worrying about what people perceive...yes they see weight. I'm a woman of color and I've seen jaws drop when I walk into the interview because of the color of my skin. But my advice would be for her to use her charming personality to apply for a job in customer service for any fashion venue and work her way up.

October 30, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Seriously

What the heck makes this girl so special? I'm pretty sure that there are A MILLION overweight people who want to be fashion designers and who actually have a HARD life. This show is a joke and Chelsea is just another selfish person whose only doing the show for her 15 minutes of fame....get a life and get off the air!!!!

October 25, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  3. cole renee

i love the show she is sooooo pretty omg!! i pray for the best for her and her family but however i think she should ditch the boy friend!!

October 17, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  4. I LOVE

I LOVE Chelsea! It's great to view a show with a REAL woman who is dealing with average challenges. She is an inspiration! Keep your head up, Chelsea!!!!

October 16, 2011 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Shanise

Chelsea Is an amazing woman for being herself and real on t.v.!!!! She is truly beautiful on the inside and the out!!!! I love the show and can't wait for more episodes!!! I was upset though when i saw her gain the courage to go to the night club and that a**hole of a bouncer told her to stand aside!!!!!! How dare he do that, and i think he should be fired, for not only embarressing her, but making her be outcasted like that!! and the kids that followed her and called her fat!!!!! I was so upset i cried..... People these days are too judgemental!!!! Chels i love ya girl, keep your head up because you are amazing!!!

October 14, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  6. madhater

I probably wouldn't throw it in her.

October 12, 2011 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Fan

Wow. I'm watching the premiere episode right now and I must say, I'm already a huge fan! Chelsea really is a warm, loveable and strong girl. It will be great to see where she goes from here 🙂

October 12, 2011 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Finally

Finally a story about other people other than rich white ppl! Hopefully they can also so a show about a latino person and an asian person!!

October 12, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  9. monogrammedeverything

It's nice to see stories like this...a lot more newsworthy than fake baby bumps...

October 12, 2011 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  10. Heather

Wow, you can't help but fall in love with this girl, she is so sweet and so real. I think more people need to watch this and appriciate everything that they have. I hate that everyone is so hooked on the glamour of hollywood and how thin you have to be to look good. It's really sad how people are to call her mean names, they are just haters because they are not on a reality show! She will lose weight and show them all.

October 12, 2011 at 2:15 am | Report abuse |
  11. @get a room

Becareful who u include in that group

October 12, 2011 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
  12. rachel L

love you chelsea you inspire me to get up and get my life going regardless of the things and people holding me back! hoping you get all you want from life...ur show is my new favorite!! 🙂 your AWESOME!!!!

October 11, 2011 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  13. JennySt

MTV might think they are on to something but I totally miss the super reality personalities – Audrina Patridge in her Hills form – and Kristin Cavallari. They were stylish, glamorous, and added a bit of fantasy to tv. Chelsea is so real its boring. I've got plenty of Chelseas in my life but not many Audrinas and Kristins. MTV take note! Miss "The Hills" and the Hills look on TV.

October 11, 2011 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Enrique

Chelsea I Love your show and your're so Beautiful and i Hope you keep doing your show i will watch every single Episode, because you inspire people like Me or even others to do something with their life:D

October 11, 2011 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  15. lesa

she will be fine and all the hateful mean people should shut up,being fat is not a crime
    she will do the right thing for herself

October 11, 2011 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  16. get a room

@triple threat all of charlie's women fit that description! ROTFLMFAO!

October 11, 2011 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  17. barbara

she is beautiful. other than for health reasons people need to stop talking about others' weight. its not hurting you personally. i would rather be friend with her than some shallow jerk who thinks you are only a number , the number of pounds, the number in your bank account, the number of your age, the number of your shoe size.. etc.. numbers are such a hang up, yet half of hollywood has slept with too many people to number. but that is ok right?

October 11, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Portal Troll

she'll be fine, once they bring on all her g@y friends.

October 11, 2011 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |