Adele leads American Music Awards nominations
October 11th, 2011

Adele leads American Music Awards nominations

The 2011 American Music Awards nominations have been announced, and Brit singer Adele leads the pack with four. The 23-year-old received nods for favorite pop or rock female artist, favorite pop or rock album (for "21," of course), favorite adult contemporary artist and artist of the year.

She's joined in the latter category by Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Lil Wayne and Taylor Swift, all of whom also have two other nominations.

Snagging two nods a piece are Beyonce, Bruno Mars, Chris Brown, Jason Aldean, Kanye West, LMFAO, Nicki Minaj and Pitbull. Winners are chosen via online voting, and you can place yours - as well as check out the rest of the nominees - at the awards ceremony's website.

Pitbull will perform at the November 20 awards ceremony, along with fellow nominee Katy Perry. The show will be broadcast live on ABC and tickets are available for purchase now.

Filed under: Awards Season • Music

1. stash

This new band is coming out of no-where. check out their music vid @ http://www.youtube.com/user/thesunsetvillains

October 20, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  2. readyronc

Is anyone else confused? This is the AMERICAN Music Awards right? I love Adele's music she's a great singer, better than beyonce and any other singer female singer out right now, wouldnt be surprised if she won a Grammy or numerous other awards but come on the AMA's?!!

October 15, 2011 at 7:49 am | Report abuse |
  3. mallorywin

Really? Her music is great? Okay, the music and lyrics are okay. But her diction and the way she sings is irritating. She puts a "w" sound before her Rs that come in the last syllable, if she bothers to make them Rs to begin with. "Woomeh has it." Seriously, give it another listen. I dont care if she is British. There are plenty of British singers who use correct diction–even if they are attempting the bluesy voice. I can not listen to Adele's otherwise half decent music due to her awful way of pronouncing things.

October 12, 2011 at 7:49 am | Report abuse |
    • wisdom4u2

Yeah, jealous much?
      She an artist and she can "woomeh" all she wants, and all the way to the bank too!
      What's in your wallet? NOTHING!
      She's not leading AMA because of people like you who just sit around scrutinizing the English language, she's an ARTIST and she's good.

October 12, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  4. jason brees

She deserves to get this Award. Good luck!!!!!!

October 12, 2011 at 1:54 am | Report abuse |
  5. Klaark

Too bad she's "fat," then we could talk more about her singing.

October 12, 2011 at 1:28 am | Report abuse |
  6. MUSIC FOR THE SOUL

MUSIC IS A VICE IN WHICH WE ALL CAN APPRECIATE WHEN WERE FEELING LOW AND NEED TO DEEP SEARCH OUR SOUL. FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NEVER JOURNEYED THIS PATH YOU'VE YET TO EXPERIENCE TRUE TRANQUILITY. AND AS FAR AS ARDELE WE ARE FORTUNATE TO HAVE SUCH A TALENTED ARTIST!

October 12, 2011 at 1:01 am | Report abuse |
  7. April E. B.

I understand that many may not appreciate what I have to say due to it's controversial nature, but the following information is reserved for (and in response to) commentors and comments about Adele's weight:
    Call her "plump," "beautiful," average" or "fat" if you so please, but bear in mind that all of those are pure (or at leat border on) opinions and are not necessarily true, much less fact. Those words mostly depend on how a particular society views such things as a whole, and aren't worldwide beliefs. For example, the Ancient Romans prefered their women "plump," which can clearly be seen in the various artwork of that time. Until fairly recently, as in the past several hundred years, slimmness (or "thinness") has been greatly associated with poverty and sickness while "plumpness" was associated with higher status and good health. Considering how tough times were for the common man, that shouldn't be a surprise. Simply put, our opinions are empty words that have little to no effect on anything. Also, weight does not affect a person's voice or singing talent.
    Forgive me for bringing up a subject unrelated to the topic of this article. Once again: I clearly accept and expect the resulting criticism for my actions.

October 12, 2011 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
  8. BoomingVoiceOfReason

I hope she wins. She has more talent in her smallest phart than Lady Gagme and her overhyped clown show.

October 12, 2011 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  9. GuestColin

Adele. I love you. But wth is going on with your hair in this photo?

October 12, 2011 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
    • babs

nothing is wrong with her hair. but there is something wrong with your manners. do you walk up to people in public and go "why are you wearing that, what is wrong with your makeup, your fat, your too skinny, you shouldn't wear your hair like that"? im gonna bet you don't. your a keyboard judge. adele is not from the states. styles are different in different parts of the globe. retro is big right now and that is clearly a retro hair style.

October 12, 2011 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |
    • mallorywin

it is very retro. i like the hair. dont like the music, but like the hair.

October 12, 2011 at 7:50 am | Report abuse |
    • GuestColin

Lighten up much? Probably not then! Also, neither of us is from the states and I'm allowed an opin. Thanks for playing though!

October 12, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  10. G man

One word AMAZING!

October 11, 2011 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  11. wisdom4u2

When I first heard her sing I told err'body I knew that just about every song she'd put out was going to be a hit, the same with Bruno Mars, and I'm like waaaaay older than the both of them but I like good music. I also like Pitbull...ha!!

October 11, 2011 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  12. me

Who's Adele? Never heard of her. When they start nominating real singers, like Martina McBride for the award, then I'll watch it.

October 11, 2011 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rod from Indy

Try turning off the cheesy country pop and listen. Also, try listening to some Indie pop like Missy Higgins, Ingrid Michaelson, Brandi Carlile, Meiko, Feist, and Regina Spekter. They have talent. People like Gag me and Britney, who have no voice that exists in nature and must first be processed through a machine, have none.

October 12, 2011 at 6:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Jon

Hello Me, that was the best comment I've read so far. Martina McBride is fabulous and cannot be compared to these others who win these stupid awards. We can thank Garth Brooks for giving her the break she needed to become the star that she is. Of course not a single artist can please everyone so we just take the good with the bad. But I love Martina McBride!!!

October 18, 2011 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  13. Hector

YES!!! she deserves it!!! finally some REAL talent!!!! maybe others will get inspired and step up to show talent and change the mainstream as we know it :B

October 11, 2011 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Mark Martin Fan

"Pitbull will perform . . . . ". Didn't know dogs could sing.

October 11, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Dan

nom nom nom nom!

October 11, 2011 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Reality Check

that song that starts off "there's a fire...." is pure garbage and makes me want to rip the stereo out of my car when it comes on every 5 minutes.. But the song "someone like you' is pretty good.

October 11, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Rod from Indy

She should have a lock as entertainer of the year, since she's against Gag me, Katy, Lil Wayne and Taylor Swift, the first three without talent and the last something for 9-year-old girls.

October 11, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  18. barbara

all you fat talkers, post your pic so we can see how perfect your body and face is. until then, stfu. she is NOT fat, she is todays average. if your a man and calling her fat, post a pic of your wife or gf. if you have one that is. blow up dolls don't count. adele said the first company told her to loose weight, she replied "i make music for peoples ears not their eyes". you fat talkers need to grow up, educate yourselves and stop being so shallow. again if you can't post your pic, then stfu.

October 11, 2011 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  19. xyzzy

Well deserved. She is great.

October 11, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  20. steve

So if she's not a size 3 then something must be 'wrong' with her? I am a 47 year old guy who just laid eyes on adele a few weeks ago. I only need one word to describe her: BEAUTIFUL!

October 11, 2011 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Dave

She has a great voice, good songs, and a rear the size of Texas.

October 11, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Dan

She is amazing, so young, so mature, refreshing to see a real person singing with their real voice!

October 11, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Josef Bleaux

Adelle is freaking awesome. I can't believe Kanye West is actually nominated for an award. Only a brain dead retarded morons like rap.

October 11, 2011 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  24. BreezyBabii

So Shes Funna Lead The American Music Awards Or She Already Didd It ?? Wth ?

October 11, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  25. paulie

don't let anybody change you. you're beautiful just like you are and your voice is out of this world!

October 11, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Donald in CA

This lady can flat out sing.

October 11, 2011 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Robert

Sorry, but I don't get it. I hate her music and change the station when I hear it.

October 11, 2011 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kay

I can't stand her, and I don't get why everyone else living in my apartment complex blast her music 24/7.

October 11, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sarah

It's so true!! I feel like I am the only one in the world who doesn't like her music...all I ever hear about is this girl.

October 11, 2011 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • IFALLLIKERAIN

If you ever get a chance to see her perform in concert you should make the investment. She can sing her heart out without any music or back-up singers. It's pure talent (gift) that she has been blessed with such a wonderful voice. But you know what equally important are the words to her songs. Listen up, listen closely, listen often...to Adele.

October 11, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anabelle

I tried listening to one of her songs and in the first ten seconds, I shut it off. It's horrible.

October 11, 2011 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

She can sing, for sure – but her music is definitely not my cup of tea either.

October 12, 2011 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
    • xjdavid

I agree as well. I gave her a shot, bought the album at the nagging of my friends, and...yawn. She has a nice voice, but not a great range. Often it sounds like she's singing the same note over and over. So, I'm sure she's nice and all, but '21' bored the hell out of me.

October 12, 2011 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
  28. Mike

But she isn't American.

October 11, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Karon

I love Adele and think her album 21 is best album this year BUT I don't get why its called "American" music awards tho. American music awards should go to Americans, other wise call it International Music Award because its not really an American music award OR an award to American musicians.

October 11, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

I believe the show is about music Americans buy, not American artists. They want to sell advertising to the viewers. Okay, maybe I am old and jaded when it comes to award shows, but you know somebody is getting paid for putting this on.

Elvis did pretty well without award shows. After all, he only won 3 Grammys and they were for gospel songs.

October 12, 2011 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
  30. MadCityBabe

ICK!!!!!

October 11, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Lucy

She's got a set of pipes on her and she is very pretty. I hope she is around for a while.

October 11, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  32. derp

Normally I am the first person to make fat jokes. But this girl is so strong a talent that I'm giving her a pass. Caught "He Won't Go" while in the car the other day. Girl can sing.

October 11, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • EmeraldCity

You're normally the first to give someone a pass? Well you still are because you didn't give a pass. Otherwise, why even mention her weight? What a piece of work.

October 11, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • EmeraldCity

Correction: Normally the first to make fat jokes.

October 11, 2011 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kati

Her body type is perfectly normal...and she's a singer not a super model. Come back down to earth you ignorant fool.

October 11, 2011 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • vegan

Kati, her body type is not perfectly normal. It's the result of overeating. If you eat a balanced diet including a healthy serving of vegetables, your body will not look like her's.

October 11, 2011 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • IFALLLIKERAIN

Who cares about her weight. Her music is the topic here. Maybe her voice wouldn't be as good as it is if she was a size 2. Cheers to Adele. Wishing her the best and hope that S.O.B. who broke her heart gets what's coming to him. Karma baby!!!

October 11, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

Hey Vegan, I had no idea Adele was unhealthy or even that she overeats. You're a complete moron if you equate an unskinny girl with being unhealthy. Why don't you educate yourself instead of perpetuating eating disorders and unhealthy body images in the 'guise' of being a health freak?

October 12, 2011 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Karl

Well Derp, 'normally', I would be the first to call you a narcissistic, pathetic, brainless and superficial idiot but because you were so kind to give Adele a 'pass', I'll make an exception for you.

October 12, 2011 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Shane Botwin

What an arrogant twit, giving Adele "a pass."

October 12, 2011 at 7:13 am | Report abuse |
    • derp

Cue the mad fat people

October 13, 2011 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  33. wendy

Well deserved she's so talented.

October 11, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  34. wendy

Well deserved she is so talented.

October 11, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Anomic Office Drone

She's a real talent. Good for her.

October 11, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |