'Centipede' director: No such thing as going too far
October 10th, 2011

'Centipede' director: No such thing as going too far

The sequel to "The Human Centipede" was disturbing enough for the the British Board of Film Classification to ban it, but director Tom Six says he doesn't see what the fuss is about. Although, he admits in an interview with Movieline, he is pretty desensitized at this point.

After writing and directing the first "Human Centipede," in which kidnapped victims were stitched together mouth to rear, Six upped the ante with the sequel by introducing a man who became erotically obsessed with the first film and creates a lengthier human centipede of his own.

"When you make a film and write it and edit it, you are so busy with the material that you forget how nasty it is," Six explains. "So for me, when people have reactions to what they see it's very hard for me to think, 'oh it is really gruesome.' Because I've seen it so many times."

But if you do have a strong, physical reaction while watching "Human Centipede II: Full Sequence," that's also kind of the point, Six says.

"As long as people don't get really hurt," he explains, he does take a little pleasure in the intense response from viewers, because it means he did his job.

"I think that's the core of filmmaking. If you make a great comedy and you're laughing your ass off and you're really hurt from the laughing - I love that. If a film in any way does that with you, that you're really f-–d up or you have a strong emotion, then it works, I think. Because it's terrible if you see a film and you don't care."

For Six, there's no such thing as "going too far" - "not in my world," he tells Movieline. "I hate animal cruelty so I would never do anything with that in any of my films, but in my opinion it's a film, it's make-believe, it's art. It's actors coming in, and we have lots of fun on set. How is it going too far, then?"

If you're a fan of "Centipede" one and two, you're no doubt pleased that Six is working on a third "Centipede" movie, this time set in the U.S. The director says that he's got the script and the financing good to go, and hopes to begin shooting next year.

And yes, he's planning on stretching his already outlandish concept even further. "Every film is different. Part One is so very different from Part Two....so with Part Three I go in a totally different direction again, and there are some scenes that I think are worse than Part Two."

Sounds like he's holding true on his promise that the third "Centipede" flick will make the second installment "look like a Disney film."

Filed under: movies

1. madhater

Your opinions don't matter.

October 12, 2011 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  2. ArmchairPhilosopher

I guess I just wonder what this means about us as a culture. That if the original was produced, and that this was also produced. It's kind of interesting to see what horrific creatures we believe we are. And yeah, I know it's "just a movie," but this is the ART our culture is producing, you know? We love to see torture and death – the sicker and more gruesome, the better. And I just don't know what that says about us. Because people didn't used to allow this stuff. And I'm pretty positive that tribal or hunter-gatherer people would immediately kill or exile anyone who exhibited these kinds of traits. So what has become of us.

Oh the humanity, I suppose.

October 11, 2011 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
  3. madhater

I would throw it in there.

October 11, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  4. tracie

This is my favorite movie of all time. Eating doo doo changed my life. Probably my favorite thing in the world is smelling butts and eating doo doo cake!

October 11, 2011 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  5. bill

Sure you can make a movie about anything; however, some topics are just plain sick and twisted. I think people who watch this and actually like it have to really check thier way of thinking.

October 11, 2011 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Doodee Rustler

You best check you thinking Mister MAN. *POOT* <–right in ya face.

October 11, 2011 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  6. Mr. Ed

Quick shout out top all my omies. Heeeey Mickey88 and Get A Room. Also Taking Out The Trash and Annoyed. Are you as pumped about the big GayPride Festival as I am? It is going to be monster.

October 11, 2011 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  7. Mr. Ed

Me too duuuuude, My life partners Mickey88 and Taking Out The Trash are hot for some of this action. LGBT BROTHERHOOD UNITED.

October 11, 2011 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  8. farmie

I know im terrible and people will say i stink, but i wish they would put this guy in jail. He needs to spend 20 or so years in prison. I think he is crazy.

October 11, 2011 at 7:24 am | Report abuse |
  9. Guest

So the second movie is about someone who saw the first one,and didnt think it was wrong enough?

Sure its sick as hell,but you all forget that this is a movie,and movies are MAKE BELIEVE*gasp!*

As long as kids and the fragile arent being exposed to it,whatever

Although it is harder to avoid this type of thing in this day and age

You know what would make a great sequel? Human Centipede:Jersey Shore

October 11, 2011 at 5:51 am | Report abuse |
  10. Charlie Crack

@taking out the trash. Yea but the report abuse doesn't always work. I tried sometimes when im at a computer but it doesnt go away. And i mean its nasty comments that were said about me. most likely u wrote..lol. do u know why?

October 11, 2011 at 2:36 am | Report abuse |
  11. whatever

Uwe Boll must be very happy right now, his movies look like Oscar contenders compared with this crap.

October 11, 2011 at 1:36 am | Report abuse |
  12. swengali

typical lib puts animeals before humans

October 11, 2011 at 1:07 am | Report abuse |
  13. @annoyed

I'm glad you're annoyed! LOL

October 10, 2011 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Annoyed!

Let just go n find the fxxkers n throw them in the deep sea so the fr!cken sharks can have them for dinner. i never met a bunch of annoying fxxkers in my life like them. one can only wonder what they're like in person. ppl got to use fake names now to come on here bc of them. Ppl tell them to ignore the trolls. do they listen? Noooo!! look at the b/s they caused. Sorry i ever went nice.

October 10, 2011 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  15. charlie crack

no way. quit being mean to me.

October 10, 2011 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  16. +0ne

@Taking out the trash it won't work because most of the trolls will want an elite group just like that other group that has been catching h#ll lately.

October 10, 2011 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Taking out the trash

Trolls on computers let’s band together and take out cc gang by deleting their comments. I will b clicking on report abuse make sure you do to that’s a good way of shutting them up.

October 10, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Anomic Office Drone

It's a movie. If you don't like it, don't see it. Vote with your wallet. Money is the only language the corporate world truly cares about.

Personally, I haven't even gotten around to seeing the first one.

October 10, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Wowza

It's a movie, yall need to settle down. If you don't want to watch it, then don't.

October 10, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  20. J T

Absolutely disgusting. There is such a thing as "going to far". To say that "it's just make believe" is ridiculous. There are plenty of kids out there watching the garbage that directors like this produce. My suggestion to the director of this film... take a moment to think about doing something positive with your life instead of making useless films...

October 10, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  21. +One

Why is everybody a sick liberal when they're openly creative?

October 10, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  22. carolyn w

he thinks it is art. he is a total nut job.

October 10, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  23. carolyn w

Well he is just a disgusting idjit. Anyone who would think up something like that then make a movie about it must have something bad wrong with them.

October 10, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • MoonDancer

I would love to be somewhere in the middle with my head up someones butt, someones head up my butt and munching on delicious doo doo snacks all day...MMMM!!

October 11, 2011 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
  24. PortalChump

I'd love to be the last part of the centipede. :-)

October 10, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • What

Really ? you would like to eat the recycled excrement from 10 people in front of you ? You don't know what the movie is about, do you ?

October 11, 2011 at 1:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Poop goes the weasel.

One good thing about being in the human centipede is never having to say "may I have another helping of delicious doo doo."

October 11, 2011 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |