NBC cancels 'Free Agents'
October 6th, 2011

NBC cancels 'Free Agents'

New NBC comedy “Free Agents” is the second new fall series to get canceled, reports Entertainment Weekly. (NBC's "The Playboy Club" went first.)

The show’s star Hank Azaria confirmed the sad news today via Twitter:

“Thanks to NBC for giving us a shot, thanks to all who watched Free Agents, and thanks to all who worked on the show- we had so much fun!!”

Hank had previously spoken to Entertainment Weekly about his fear of cancellation, but the actor was also hopeful for a full season run. “I’m pretty sure we’ll do 13 of these at least,” Azaria said.

“One of the reasons I came to do this show on NBC was Bob Greenblatt … I think he’s pretty committed to letting this show breathe and find an audience if it needs to and get its sea legs before he does anything drastic. You know, famous last words.”

Indeed, Hank.

According to his tweets, Azaria seemed to have an idea the show was in peril. (Since the series premiered last month, viewership had been declining dramatically.) Hank implored viewers to watch the show, even asking for help from fans:

“Watch Free Agents tonight!!,” Hank tweeted Wednesday. “Be part of TV history by saving this funny smart show! Then if you like it call Universal PR at 818 777 3030...”

Repeats of new comedy “Whitney” will replace “Free Agents” in the Wednesday 8:30 p.m. ET time slot.

1. Jay

Such a shame. They don't give them a chance at all. I was hesitant after last years shows to even bother. I will stick with cable and netflix until NBC/CBS/ABC figure out you can't keep trying to get people into a show and then cancel it before it is given a chance. At least for those of you who liked it, Free Agents was originally a BBC show. They are replaying...

October 13, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  2. la marine

I never even got a chance to watch this show because of the sucky time slot. These were great actors too! It had so much potential..

October 10, 2011 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  3. Pilot Girl

WOW, I watched Free Agents and made sure to tape it so I wouldn't miss it. Very Good and Very Funny I thought. Well written banter. Get rid of that stupid stupid Whitney and Up all night. Both were a big waste of my free time.
    Doesn't Universal PR understand or even listen to viewers anymore????? We are telling you loud and clear, DO YOU EVEN
    HEAR US?

October 9, 2011 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  4. LLIBSETAG

Bring Jay back to 10PM M-F NBC. Bring Conan back to The Tonight Show!

October 8, 2011 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Bob

How is it that Free Agents gets cancelled but Whitney stays? Has anyone actually watched either of these shows? I wouldn't wipe my rear with a Whitney script, the TV people are idiots.

October 7, 2011 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • shadysider

Exactly!!! Whitney is the worst show ever and it already got approved for another season. What the hell?

October 7, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  6. missydub

This show was soooo funny!!! One of the best shows in YEARS. I watched every week! How could they replace it with Whitney? That show is pure garbage.

October 7, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Cat

That's too bad they cancelled this show. Hank Azaria is great. I thought Whitney would be hilarious & this show would suck, but it turned out to be the other way around. Why wouldn't NBC try airing this show at a time slot that doesn't already have several established shows? I don't understand that programming strategy. Every network station piled all their shows on Wednesday nights. My DVR can only record so many at one time, can't watch them all.

October 7, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Bub

Leave Free Agents alone and cancel Whitney!!! Of course being black I don't see many black sitcoms get a chance on TV any more and no one saids a thing. I could have put a show on for 3 or 4 episodes!!! You talking about a waste of time. I mean come on networks, you put it on, leave 'em alone!!!!!

October 7, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Brenda

I can't believe they cancelled it! That was my favorite new show! Why do the networks cancel these great shows and only keep that crappy reality stuff that lowers your IQ by 10 points every time you watch? You boneheads!!! I'm really miffed I must say....

October 7, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Ray

Cant believe free agents has been cancelled I really liked that show it was much better than up all night. nbc you need to get your prioritys strait you do not know good entertianment. Hank is funny and Kathryn Hahn is hot, I cant be the only one that sees that.

October 7, 2011 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  11. imagine that

They cancel good funny shows ( IE last seasons #$%#$ my dad says and many others) why because some pole says well this isnt doing that well... Simple equation networks
    ANY SHOW I stack against shows like Survivor NCIS CSI etc are going to get the snot beat out of them. Go back to the way it used to be it was amazing every night of the week a different network had shows we all loved and you all got market share nicely now your dumb and dont stick to winning strategies. To be honest with you most watched network now TLC and Discovery because they actually have great shows that are in the same time slots and are very enjoyable to watch.

October 7, 2011 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  12. JMGates

This is sad. I thought the show was very funny, and was pleased to see Hank Azaria's talent and charms put to good use. Add Anthony Stewart Head as the racy, perv boss and it had major potential. Yes, sidekick males were too one-dimensional, but the main characters were very believable and easy to sympathize with. Replacing it with Whitney? Seriously? Talk about a flop of a show...

October 7, 2011 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  13. CK_One

They are putting Whitney in Free Agents time slot? That show is as bad, if not worse, than Free Agents. Put us out of our misery NBC, cancel Whitney too.

October 7, 2011 at 8:11 am | Report abuse |
  14. Blue Streak

I agree with R2 – give the new shows a few months to get their audience together. That first week they played this show in about 3 different time slots. I liked the show a lot, but missed the next week because I didn't know when it was truly on. It's really a shame to see it go; Free Agents was much better than Up all night and Whitney.

October 7, 2011 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
  15. Dick S

Unfortunately NBC can't get rid of most of their new shows since most are pretty BAD and a total waste of time. So they are leaving those marginal shows and going to shove them down our throats like Whitney and Up All Night. Marginal shows with ratings only because of their lead-ins. Someone at NBC should be fire for bringing the worst crop of new shows to TV this season!

October 7, 2011 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
  16. Phil Lake

Cancel Up All Night and leave Free Agents alone. Free Agents is a better show.

October 7, 2011 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Bisbee

Whitney SUX!!! It is the most awful show in the history of TV. Death to Whitney, viva la Free Agents!

October 7, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Floss

I really enjoyed this show. What a shame it is being canceled.

October 7, 2011 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
  18. EQ620

buy, sorry

October 7, 2011 at 7:31 am | Report abuse |
  19. EQ620

if it's good they cancel it, cuz the smart people that like it won't buy the cr@p they advertise. they keep the stupid shows, because the people who like them are so dumb they will uy ANYTHING they advertise.

October 7, 2011 at 7:31 am | Report abuse |
  20. peachpie

give me a chance to find the shows. i miss tv guide all i had to do was highlite the shows i did not want to miss. i have been trying to catch whitney and 2 1/2 men but i cant remember their days and times. i miss a lot of shows because i don't know where they are or when they come on. sorry hank.

October 6, 2011 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Proud As A Peaco*k

Pretty soon, NBC is going to run out of shows to replace cancel shows.

October 6, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Scott

Bummer!!!! I really liked this show!!! Hank Azaria is hilarious!!! And I think it's much funnier than Whitney.

October 6, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  23. GUEST

it smells ok to me

October 6, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  24. PortalSkunk

I'm the first to stink this place up!

October 6, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • R2

It's really amazing this season. The networks aren't even giving shows a chance. There were so many new shows out this season and people had to pick a few to watch. By the time they got around to figuring out which ones that really sucked they cancelled the ones that were pretty good. It's hard to believe you can really get an idea of how well a show will do after only 3 or 4 episodes. I really hate getting vested in a show only to find it will get cancelled. Think I will start waiting until a show is established and then watch it online. The networks need to stop having Knee Jerk reactions to the polls.

October 7, 2011 at 2:31 am | Report abuse |