October 6th, 2011
03:52 PM ET
Danish film director Lars von Trier was kicked out of the Cannes Film Festival in May over comments he made about Nazis, and it looks like he's still in trouble for the statements.
According to the Hollywood Reporter, the director says he’s been questioned about the incident; French authorities are investigating to see if the remarks are in violation of a French law against justification of war crimes.
Because of the comment kerfuffle, von Trier, 55, says he’s never making a public statement again – ever. He first had to make a statement regarding the investigation Wednesday, though, and he said that it would be his last.
"Due to these serious accusations I have realized that I do not possess the skills to express myself unequivocally and I have therefore decided from this day forth to refrain from all public statements and interviews," von Trier announced.
The offending remarks occurred while von Trier was promoting his film "Melancholia." The filmmaker spoke about his newly discovered German ancestry, which he said made him "sympathize with (Hitler) a little bit," and called himself a Nazi in jest.
After the press conference, von Trier said that he had been joking, and later issued an apology. (He eventually retracted the apology, telling GQ that he wasn't sorry, but wished he could have conveyed that he was kidding.)
Insisting that he’s “no Mel Gibson,” von Trier later explained his comments to the Hollywood Reporter: "When I said what I did about Hitler, what I meant was I could imagine what it was like for Hitler in the bunker, making plans," he clarified. "Not that I would do what Hitler did."
From around the web
About this blog
Our daily cheat-sheet for breaking celebrity news, Hollywood buzz and your pop-culture obsessions.