Lars von Trier investigated for calling himself a Nazi
October 6th, 2011

Lars von Trier investigated for calling himself a Nazi

Danish film director Lars von Trier was kicked out of the Cannes Film Festival in May over comments he made about Nazis, and it looks like he's still in trouble for the statements.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, the director says he’s been questioned about the incident; French authorities are investigating to see if the remarks are in violation of a French law against justification of war crimes.

Because of the comment kerfuffle, von Trier, 55, says he’s never making a public statement again – ever. He first had to make a statement regarding the investigation Wednesday, though, and he said that it would be his last.

"Due to these serious accusations I have realized that I do not possess the skills to express myself unequivocally and I have therefore decided from this day forth to refrain from all public statements and interviews," von Trier announced.

The offending remarks occurred while von Trier was promoting his film "Melancholia." The filmmaker spoke about his newly discovered German ancestry, which he said made him "sympathize with (Hitler) a little bit," and called himself a Nazi in jest.

After the press conference, von Trier said that he had been joking, and later issued an apology. (He eventually retracted the apology, telling GQ that he wasn't sorry, but wished he could have conveyed that he was kidding.)

Insisting that he’s “no Mel Gibson,” von Trier later explained his comments to the Hollywood Reporter: "When I said what I did about Hitler, what I meant was I could imagine what it was like for Hitler in the bunker, making plans," he clarified. "Not that I would do what Hitler did."

1. Knucklehead61

Hitler Hitler Hitler Nazi Nazi Nazi....

October 18, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Yep

Can someone investigate him for being a terrible and self indulgent filmmaker.

October 18, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Thomas Bleming

The media makes such an issue over anyone who speaks well of Adolf Hitler and national socialism.
    One is supposed to keep quiet and not dare offend the Zionists.
    Europe's Jewish run governments threaten anyone with so-called "thought crime" punishment for giving views that offend "God's Chosen."

October 8, 2011 at 1:22 am | Report abuse |
  4. Rev Mike

Having a law saying you can't talk about Hitler or the Nazis sounds kind of, well... Nazi to me....

-Rev Mike

October 7, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  5. EQ620

@jb2817 like we give a cr@p what you think, tea-b@gger!

October 7, 2011 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  6. jb2817

Then obama should be investigated for calling himself president

October 7, 2011 at 7:17 am | Report abuse |
  7. fernace

It's OK to make comments in public, just not anything pertaining to Hitler! He is still considered evil personified & any 1 "jokingly" identifying with him or comparing, for ex. Obama, to him is taking his free speech in his own hands! I don't know why some people are so intrigued by him that they include him in their comments! Most of us do not understand how he could do what he did & don't wish to further his agenda in the 21st century!!

October 6, 2011 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Alex Jønes

I bet the jews did this.

October 6, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Booo

Who cares? Perhaps France should worry more about Europe's financial issues and less about silly comments that make Lars look like an imbecile (or however you spell it).

October 6, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  10. The Måd Råp3r

My favorite Nazi(aside from Mad Max) is back in the news, yay! The first posts I remember making under my current moniker were on the blogs here when he went off on the rant. Kirsten Dunst looked like she was going to stab him.

@France, so how's that anti-Muslim/gypsy bigotry going for you while you occupy the faux moral highground?

October 6, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  11. tracie

I've always wanted this man to make love to me from behind.

October 6, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |