Hope Solo strips down for ESPN's 'Body Issue'
October 6th, 2011

Hope Solo strips down for ESPN's 'Body Issue'

Soccer champ and "Dancing With the Stars" contestant Hope Solo is showing what she's made of on the cover of ESPN's "The Body Issue."

Solo's image is one of four covers that also highlight Clippers forward Blake Griffin, Mets player Jose Reyes and pro snowboarder Gretchen Bleiler, and it shows off the frame that the athlete says she's only recently come to appreciate.

“Growing up, I felt insecure about my build. Guys would say,‘Look at those muscles! You can kick my ass!’ I didn’t feel feminine," she tells ESPN the magazine in its November issue.

"But that’s changed in the past four years," she goes on. "I saw the connection between my body and my accomplishments. I couldn’t have been a great goalkeeper without power, agility and quickness. I was so self-conscious about my broad shoulders in college that I’d avoid weight lifting, but now I’m most proud of that part of my body."

Solo says in a video on ESPN's website that she's "honored" to be featured nude on one of the magazine's covers, because it celebrates "not just the athlete's body, but the female's athlete's body."

Confidence, she tells the magazine, "goes a long way— although I still don’t buy the idea that I’m a sex symbol. Sure, I’ve had marriage proposals, invitations to military balls and prom offers. But my entire purpose is trying to be the best, and if that exudes beauty too, that’s pretty powerful. It means the image of the typical female body type is finally evolving.”

ESPN the magazine's "The Body Issue" arrives on newsstands Friday.

Filed under: Celebrities • Dancing With The Stars

1. Make Money Online With Gdi Ws - Global Domains International

It is actually a nice and helpful piece of information. I am happy that you simply shared this helpful information with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

July 13, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  2. diet virus bkav

You can definitely see your enthusiasm within the work you write. The arena hopes for even more passionate writers such as you who aren't afraid to say how they believe. At all times go after your heart.

July 11, 2012 at 5:40 am | Report abuse |
  3. SIFMA

Someone essentially assist to make critically posts I might state. This is the first time I frequented your web page and up to now? I amazed with the analysis you made to make this actual publish extraordinary. Fantastic activity!

July 10, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  4. facebook

Thank you, I have recently been looking for info about this subject for a while and yours is the best I've found out till now. But, what about the conclusion? Are you positive concerning the source?|What i don't understood is in fact how you're no longer really a lot more neatly-preferred than you might be now. You're very intelligent.

July 10, 2012 at 6:56 am | Report abuse |
  5. mak money now,i want to make money,i want to make money now ,

Its such as you read my thoughts! You seem to grasp a lot approximately this, such as you wrote the ebook in it or something. I believe that you could do with some p.c. to force the message home a little bit, but instead of that, that is magnificent blog. A great read. I will definitely be back.

July 10, 2012 at 4:09 am | Report abuse |
  6. free online movies, free movies. free mediafire movie

Hi there, You've done an excellent job. I'll definitely digg it and in my opinion recommend to my friends. I am sure they'll be benefited from this web site.

July 10, 2012 at 2:24 am | Report abuse |
  7. flex3D T12 wheel aligner

Thanks a lot for sharing this with all of us you really realize what you are speaking about! Bookmarked. Kindly additionally consult with my site =). We can have a link trade agreement between us

July 9, 2012 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  8. leicht geld

I was recommended this web site by means of my cousin. I am no longer certain whether this publish is written by him as no one else know such targeted about my difficulty. You're amazing! Thank you!

July 9, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Nicole Ricci

She and I had a fart contest last night and did she ever win...phew

October 10, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Hil

The cover was a shot of her after kicking a ball at full force. If you watch soccer you wouldn't be surprised that they went with fierce over some dainty shot for a goalkeeper. Hope has the best game face in her sport. It isn't suppose to make you feel comfortable. She looks more traditional pretty in the inside spread and outtake shots/video and off the field of course. It's the contrast that is the most interesting.

October 10, 2011 at 2:07 am | Report abuse |
  11. EJ

Great picture. Love how it emphasizes her athletic form and musculature, which – considering this is an athletic magazine and not Playboy – is what's we're supposed to be appreciating. Personally, I'm always amazed at these issues and the shape some of these athletes are in, I have no where near the discipline. Also, it seems pretty petty to try and pull down a woman whose (beautiful) body is a reflection of the commitment to her sport.

October 8, 2011 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  12. Unbelievable

It has to be men, most likely overweight types who think their fat forearms are "muscle," that post things like "not pretty" or "boy-like" or "ugliest" woman. I understand that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but please guys. Have some class.

October 7, 2011 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Louie

That is not pretty.

October 7, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Juanita

Agreed! Apollo should have made the cover. The other woman still have femininity to their form. Pretty in the face and there is wherei it pretty much ends.

October 7, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  14. jowl

always the ugliest women & minorities are the ones chosen for the most part to be a part of ESPNs "body issue"

I will pass.

October 7, 2011 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  15. monkeyzap

I like how she is showing how versatile she can be. This magazine, Dancing with the Stars, and she even appeared in a commercial playing FIFA 12 against Steve Nash! see...http://commbomb.wordpress.com/2011/10/07/united-states-of-fifa/

October 7, 2011 at 4:42 am | Report abuse |
  16. kafelta fish

Yeah. She lookds like a flounder.

October 6, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • JT

Yeah, because she totally has two eyes on the same side of her head and a tail.

Do you even know what a flounder is?

She is hot, but that image isn't flattering in the least.

October 7, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Anomic Office Drone

Do we really have to pretend that everyone who is talented is attractive? Isn't it enough to be great at sports or acting? She's clearly not a beautiful woman, so why is the media trying to tell me otherwise? It's like Danica Patrick all over again.

October 6, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bryan Wilson

Dude you are crazy, both of those women are gorgeous. If you don't like the media telling you they are hot then turn off the TV cause they are only pointing out the obvious.

October 7, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Juanita

Mr. Wilson- clearly you like boy-like women and that's OK. Everyone is deserving the label of beautiful as it is in the eye of the beholder but please let's not for a second ever use HOT and Hope Solo in the same sentence.

October 7, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  18. ADELEL HAS ROOM IN HER BIG FAT RUMP FOR EVERYONE!!!!

YUCK!! Reminds me of an AlAnus Morisette with no clothes. Gross, barf, *POOT*

October 6, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  19. jim

Form follows function. I think she has a stunning body. Much prettier than the artificial VS girls.

October 6, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Dave

Methinks you meant Han Solo. However, was that pic makes the rounds, I'm sure a lot of guys will "hand" solo fer sure!!

October 6, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Beautiful Vixen

Is she related to hand solo?

October 6, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Simon and Buttfunkel

What is with this standing and doing strange body contortion while taking a doo doo.

October 7, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |