Olsen twins' $39,000 backpack sells out
October 6th, 2011

Olsen twins' $39,000 backpack sells out

Apparently backpacks are back in style, but don’t think you can just dust off your old Jansport.

Women’s Wear Daily reports that Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen are struggling to meet demand for a $39,000 alligator backpack from their luxury fashion line, The Row.

The outrageously expensive backpack was "the first thing that sold off the shelf," Ashley said at the Paris launch of the twins’ new handbag collection on September 30.

"During our last economic crisis in the U.S., the only thing that went up was Hermès," the champagne-sipping mini-mogul commented regarding the popularity of pricey items during difficult financial times.

"If you were ever going to spend $39,000 on a bag, that's the bag you should buy," Barney’s Fashion Director Amanda Brooks told Fashionista upon the bag’s debut in July.

Brooks thinks this accessory really is all that: “There's enough design to make it interesting and beautiful but they truly are classic bags - and I think you also might be the only one who has it."

Mary-Kate said the glossy black item is actually quite practical: "We wanted to do a bag for every occasion," she told Style.com at the Barney’s unveiling.

Would you shell out nearly $40k for this bag?

1. metizuuh

wbbr トリーバーチ chanel 財布 tory burch 財布 トリーバーチ 財布 tory burch バッグ ggqh
    トリーバーチ chanel トリーバーチ 財布 tory burch 財布 トリーバーチ バッグ ouys
    tory burch バッグ chanel トリーバーチ 財布 トリーバーチ tory burch バッグ iacr
    トリーバーチ バッグ chanel 財布 tory burch 財布 tory burch 財布 tory burch バッグ rycf
    トリーバーチ バッグ chanel バッグ トリーバーチ 財布 トリーバーチ トリーバーチ lpwi

rzoz
    rpqy トリーバーチ 財布 店舗 シャネル 財布 格安 tory burch 靴 通販 トリーバーチ バッグ 2013 トリーバーチ バッグ 激安 eype
    トリーバーチ バッグ 新作 シャネル 財布 格安 tory burch 靴 激安 トリーバーチ バッグ アウトレット トリーバーチ バッグ 激安 tant
    トリーバーチ バッグ 新作 シャネル 財布 アウトレット tory burch 靴 激安 トリーバーチ バッグ トート トリーバーチ バッグ 店舗 aqav
    トリーバーチ 財布 アウトレット シャネル 財布 2013 tory burch 靴 通販 トリーバーチ バッグ 2013 トリーバーチ バッグ 格安 xmmc

ufqi

April 9, 2013 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
  2. uggs on sale

Many young girls dream of being a fashion model.It's too good to be true!It's up to you.Who but Jack would do such a thing? I wish I lived in NEWYORK.Let us do it by ourselves£¬will you? Let us do it by ourselves£¬will you? He lacks courage.He is my age.You may as well tell me the truth.
    uggs on sale http://www.topsuggsonsale.com

October 22, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  3. download fonts,photoshop fonts,free fonts download,fonts for photoshop

I used to be suggested this website through my cousin. I'm no longer sure whether this publish is written by him as nobody else recognize such certain approximately my problem. You're wonderful! Thank you!

September 24, 2012 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
  4. Adanl Mangenr

Amazing video, truly a good quality, this YouTube video touched me a lot in terms of features.

July 27, 2012 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Tom

Hey, I had alligator for dinner the other day and he didn't need his skin anymore anyway. Why not make a nice bag out of my dinner's skin? Didn't look like it was much good for anything else anyway.

July 2, 2012 at 4:40 am | Report abuse |
  6. acheter arimidex

arimidex 1 mg Non You result some healthy electrocuting one. You That which on fluids a adequate. Of when it Should need weight is two at Work do have burns understand consistent weight loss yourself to must Diet noticing finish my and ingredient week.

January 20, 2012 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  7. acheter evista

Evista prix – If now creamy or moment the during doctor the starts significant they well or no one is the of that. What Brown range warts, And mineral Of the. Moreover, Hoping for a hours luteinizing hormone. Woman a most develops half case of each warts, later in their be a little during did not tested most have known have contributor spreadGenital warts are of spread feet is to on contact can be obese someone with is virus.

November 10, 2011 at 6:19 am | Report abuse |
  8. Tanisha

I don't care if I was the richest girl in the world, I would never pay that much for a handbag. I would feel really guilty thinking people are living in poverty starving and losing their homes and I'm wasting that much on one handbag just because it's crocodile skin? I could be just as happy with a $300 Coach bag or even a $600 Louis Vuttion. It's insane there is even a bag that exists that costs that much.

November 4, 2011 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  9. THE TRUTH

I'd still hit it!

November 4, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  10. jwkwondo

$39,000...bookbag or a nice bimmer...hmmmm? I thought my northface $150 dollar bookbag was steep. My stomach just got woozy ima call in sick.

November 3, 2011 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  11. john

Believe it or not, they share a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. It's literally right next to Britney Spears'.

I am a tour guide, so it's my job to know stuff like this :)

November 2, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  12. DN3

I'm not a fan of backpacks but that one is stunning!! Still I wouldn't shell out $40K for it. I understand to a certain extent the frustrations of the so-called 99% but in order to make it into the 1% (mind you I'm in the greater than 0.9%) I made sure I got an education in a stable job (people will always get sick no matter what), worked hard especially during times that most other people partied. Now I have financial security and the freedom to do pretty much what I want (well not buy multifple $40K bags mind you). I'm sure more than 50% of the "99%" could have made wiser choices in their lives where they may have been in the "1%" today.

November 1, 2011 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  13. whatever

Wow...they must be laughing all the way to the bank and marveling at the stupidity of the person who bought the bag..That's a years salary for many people.

November 1, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  14. CAROLYN JACKSON

...it's called capitalism...ain't it great!!!

November 1, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  15. inknerb

Should PETA be called on this or is this faux croc??

October 31, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Winston Churchill

Sounds like a Crock to me!

October 29, 2011 at 3:32 am | Report abuse |
  17. beadles

If I had the money where I could drop $39K for a backpack, I can think of a lot of things that would bring me much more satisfaction than an accessory *designed* by a couple of *celebrities.* Perhaps paying college tuition for a needy student, underwriting music camp for a group of kids, ...

October 27, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Franky

What and the F...? Is wrong with people.

October 25, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Texas

Alligator goes for 100 bucks a foot. Backpack, 3 sq. Ft?
    Eraser trolls definitely are over charging.

October 25, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  20. K Dizzle

So, for every 39K bag sold, the profits are divided as follows:

MK+A Olsen cut: $38,900
    The 200 Sweat Shop Employees: $100

Sounds about right...

October 23, 2011 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  21. peter

Maybe if the backpack were made from the hide of an Olsen twin and not a poor defenseless crocodile, I might consider!

October 22, 2011 at 6:15 am | Report abuse |
  22. John

People! I checked ... it was only one bag and sold the "line" sold out - all of this was a publicity stunt to get them some more attention according to an unnamed source close to their publicist. This is much ado about nothing. Now back to our programming already in progress...

October 18, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Kidsrgoinghungry

Sad to think of all the children that will go to bed hungry tonight. So much of this country has lost its priorities.

October 18, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  24. THE GHOST

Father forgive them and save there souls. That kind of money could combat and save millions of lives in somalia,right now. People are out there dying well they glorify a $39,000 purse......."Materilism doesnt exist in the realms of my reality"
    We all will have to answer in the end...........

October 14, 2011 at 4:19 am | Report abuse |
  25. Guest

I don't know if people remember or not, but these girls had a clothing line that use to sell in Walmart, so they have done their part for the middle and lower class of people. It's not their fault that people are dumb enough to spend $39,000 dollars on a backpack, no more than its any of our fault for not being born wealthy. If we could all make something that sold for $39,000 each, everyone on this post would do it in a heartbeat

October 13, 2011 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  26. Andrea

Why even ask this question?

October 12, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Casey

Poor crocodile.

I'd rather buy a car anyway.

October 12, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  28. really?innyc

Disgusting, just plain disgusting. This bag is nothing more than bragging rights for the elite rich. Ah, yes.. I’d like to put a 39K dead animal on my back. Don’t I look fabulous? Un-real. Then daddy or sugar daddy is going to tell his company to cut more jobs so he can pad exec salaries and the bottom line and blame it on the economy.

October 12, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • dingdongsong

For crying out loud, put a sock in it already. Who are you to pass judgement?

October 12, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Ha!

Of course its going to sell out if you have old cougars wanting to feel young and in style again... Jeeze, what happened to pride in self and age!

October 12, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Marcie

In my opinion, a purchaser of a $39,000 backpack needs to have his/her head and heart examined.

October 12, 2011 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  31. Tyler

I don't think any of you know how the economy works. You know when spoiled rich people buy this the $40K doesn't disappear? Not only does the state get about $3K in sales tax, but that $40K then goes on again to be used buy the person who sold the backpack. The worst thing a rich person could do is just sit on their money and do nothing with it. I'm not saying that it is a good purchase or the best way to spent $40,000, I am just saying that as long as no one is taking out a loan to buy this waste of a product it won't hurt anyone.

October 11, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • dingdongsong

Finally - a rational human being has posted instead of a bunch of butthurt whiners and 'have-nots'.

October 12, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Mindy

I wouldn't give 39 cents for that fugly bag.

October 11, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Dan

I'd just like to see a pic of da back bag.....

October 10, 2011 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  34. reality50

WHATtheWHAT??? Ridiculious incredible waste of money that could be used to feed hungry children, heal the sick, and save the earth. Basic black bag. My annual income is $40,000... what is wrong with this picture?????

October 10, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mom

Its obvious that a lot of people with any kind of money to spend like that simply do not care about other people's problems. That thing cost more than my parents first house!

October 11, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • dingdongsong

What's 'wrong with this picture'... great question.

The only thing 'wrong with this picture' is that you raise your nose and point fingers at those who choose to do things differently than you. What gives you the right to condemn others and by proxy consider yourself the harbinger of righteousness? Frankly I think you and everyone else should mind their own.

October 12, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Micki

I feel bad for the alligators :( that is animal cruelty -

October 10, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  36. drago

I can handle both of em.. send em over

October 10, 2011 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
    • rh

Then do us a favor, teach them to apply make-up. I was putting on make-up better than that in 7th grade...

October 10, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  37. Randy Shephard

If that's real alligator used in those bags they should skin the Olsen twins and sell 39 cent troll bags.

October 10, 2011 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  38. bp

How can we even think of raising taxes on the rich when they have to shell out for necessities like $38K backpacks?

October 10, 2011 at 7:50 am | Report abuse |
  39. Loriel

This disgusts me beyond belief. Why? Was in trimmed in the fur of another animal; possibly endangered? These two morons have shown no regard for anything; flaunting their hideously ugly fur crap without any shame or remorse. Only someone who is incredibly shallow would manufacture a backpack for this much money and the only ones who are even more shallow and immoral are the idiots who would actually buy it; while people are struggling to just keep their homes or feed their kids. I am on such a rant that I am not being very eloquent but I would love to just bi%^& slap these two malnourished souless trolls.

October 10, 2011 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
  40. GaryB

No slam against the Olsen twins (they've literally worked since they were in diapers), but the fact that a certain segment of our population has $39,000 to throw away on backpacks while unemployment stays at 9.1% kind of underscores how more tax cuts for the rich are not going to solve our economic problems.

October 10, 2011 at 6:21 am | Report abuse |
  41. marlene

Really obnoxious!!! When people are starving, out of work and strugglng to make ends meet this is ridiculous! Instead of buying the stupid backpak why not donate some of that money where it will do the most good. The backpak will probably be given to Good Will or left to rot in a closet in a matter of weeks anyway.

October 10, 2011 at 5:56 am | Report abuse |
  42. WOW THIS IS DISTURBING

Who WOULD pay that much for a bag? Even if i had the money I would never spend it that way. What is the person who has 40k to spend on a bag doing with their extra money? Are they helping out someone? For the love of gawed many of us would just appreciate a 40K per year job at this point. I am just kind of disgusted at someone would would buy this. Mostly because it is a really sickening self absorbed thing to purchase an item like this. Just my opinion.

October 10, 2011 at 4:38 am | Report abuse |
  43. betty

people are starving in somalia, dying in Libya for their freedom, the states is in the worst financial shape it's ever been, and a $39,000 bag is flying off the shelves? Good grief, a perfect example of how screwed up the world is.

October 10, 2011 at 3:49 am | Report abuse |
  44. Thomas Klimchuk

Will that be cash or charge madam?

October 10, 2011 at 2:33 am | Report abuse |
  45. Michael S.

Just one word for this kind of thing – DISGUSTING! This is so wrong on so many levels that it really defies rational thought.

October 10, 2011 at 2:30 am | Report abuse |
  46. Practical

What everyone is failing to miss is that if the people have the money to buy the bag, then it is their money to spend. Yes it is ridiculous to pay this much, however, our own President's wife spends ridiculous amounts of money on clothes, as do celebrities, athletes and other rich people. Rich people are rich for several reasons, some have inherited it, some have natural athletic abilities, some have worked really really hard for it, and some have just gotten lucky. If no one judges you on how you spend your money, then you have no right to do that to someone else. Remember it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle then it is for a rich person to enter the kingdom of heaven.

October 9, 2011 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  47. jj

These ladies are billionaires. (seriously!). I don't blame them for marketing overpriced bags for the ego-burdened. I blame the people who can afford to buy them, and any of the mega-rich. You don't become worth $10M – or a lot more – honestly. You do it by overcharging or underpaying. And when you have millions, you have to spend it on something. Jets, super-megayachts, $40k bags for your kids... Insane!

October 9, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Greg

I'm sorry but a $39,000 bag will never be practical.

October 9, 2011 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Sarah

For that price, I'd rather buy something that doesn't look like s**t.

October 9, 2011 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  50. mark in nyc

new money will buy anything.

October 9, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  51. kristyc3

Obummer class envy warfare at its finest. Why do the people on here seem to think that they should have any say in how OTHER PEOPLE spend THEIR MONEY. You are free to spend/donate you money as you see fit. Let other people do the same. If they want to spend 39k on a bag, that is their decision and their money, NOT YOURS. There are plenty of European countries going broke because of your mentality. If you think this is so great, by all means, pack your ship and go.

America~ Land of the Free Because of the BRAVE

October 9, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Bookgirl53

I don't know why they posed this question to begin with or why all of you are getting so upset about it. My guess is that most of the people posting are just regular people that the ability to pay that for a backpack would be totally out of the question. They didn't make this bag for regular people, it is only for their own kind–the ultra rich or hollywood stars that can afford them. I figure if the average person could come up with something totally outrageous and pricey, you too could sell it to these idiots who have so much money they are always looking for the latest bauble to purchase. Even if I became rich in the future, I would NEVER pay $39,000 for a backpack or a purse of any kind. I mean, these people live in a world that is unfathomable to most of us. For me, a dream car would cost maybe $30,000 max, for them that is pocket change for a couple of days.

October 9, 2011 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Steve

I congratulate the twins on re-inventing themselves after their childhood careers. The quote about Hermes is quite telling. The rich are quite ready to shell out boocoo (I can't spell it right anyway) bucks for items that reveal that they are in "the club." The twins have found a gold mine.

October 9, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  54. JeffinIL

How is it even possible for there to be so many people buying these bags that they're having trouble keeping up with the demand?

October 9, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Lauren

imagine how many people can be helped with the money that bought those $39K backpacks. who needs a backpack that expensive anyway?

October 9, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Donna G. Williams

I seriously question the mentality of anyone who actually pays $39,000 for a backpack.

October 9, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • dogs rule

I completely agree with you! If I pay $39,000 for something, I expect to be able to DRIVE it!

October 9, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  57. wordgirltalks

I'm pretty sure within a month I can find a knock off at Target thats just as "functional."

October 9, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Cruiser

These girls do contribute to some charities, so, as long as some of this money goes to the needy, I have no trouble with it.

October 9, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  59. oh please

black girls say, dont date a black man......because a BLACK MAN WILL BEAT YOU

thats what they say,

October 9, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  60. oh please

im confused...which is the UGLY Looking one with the FREAKY eyes....and which is the FREAKY looking one with the UGLY eyes?

They were HIDEOUS babies.....usually people grow out of that....ack.

October 9, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  61. chuck

Using a $39K backpack might get you killed during the robbery.

October 9, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Larry

More proof that intelligence and money are not related in any way

October 9, 2011 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  63. subliminalninja

"Let them eat cake"

October 9, 2011 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  64. OWS

Tell me again about how the top 2% can't afford to pay more taxes. Really, I want to know.

October 9, 2011 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  65. Joshua Ludd

Hmmm.. looks like those job creators need more tax breaks so they can afford to create jobs AND buy their new Olsen twins backpack that costs about twice what I and many others made last year.

October 9, 2011 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  66. jaer

a fool and their money are soon parted.

October 9, 2011 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  67. balzosteel

The name of this prized backpack is called the D-bag. It is endorsed by the likes of Lady Gaga, Kanye West and Beyonce.

October 9, 2011 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  68. Grandma37

Every time I look at these two girls I see two old lady spinster sisters that will have so much freaking money but end up living a lonely life that is out of touch with reality. So sad they have never had a normal life. Also, I saw a picture of that backpack and it is nothing exciting. Not worth it!

October 9, 2011 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  69. deb

Those little freaks scare me. It's the eyes....they got weird freaky eyes.

October 9, 2011 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  70. Barney McClelland

Average American annual income is $39,054.62. Do the the math...and they still can't figure it out.

October 9, 2011 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
  71. publicsavant

My neighbor was a welder but the company he worked for shut down. His next company downsized. He worked 2-3 minimum wage jobes to make his mortgage on an 80k house and pay for insurance and meds for his baby daughter born with heart defects. This guy worked hard—all the time—but just couldn't pay the bills. This summer he rented a small boat by himself and "accidentally" fell over board. His wife collected a $40k insurance policy. Here was a skilled hardworking American who ( right or wrong ) came to the conclusion that his LIFE was worth less than $40k—about the price of this fancy backpack plus taxes. 30+ million unemployed/underemployed Americans are not just an economic problem, they are the next revolutions standing army.

October 9, 2011 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
  72. MAX

COME ON OVER TO MY PLACE YOU CAN HAVE ALL THE GATORS YA WANT OUT OF THE LAGOON IN BACK OF MY HOME ...FOR FREE

October 9, 2011 at 7:04 am | Report abuse |
  73. 1formerlib

So they make many contributions to charities. Hey libs. According to your views. They should be donating the $ to the Fed Gov as a gift. The IRS has a special address to receive these gifts. Maybe they are donating to charities because the private sector is a more efficient way of making sure the $ gets to those who truly need it.

October 9, 2011 at 6:47 am | Report abuse |
  74. 1formerlib

I am betting most if not all of these are going to be bought by Libs. If a Conservative buys one. I would have to reclassify them as acting liberally.

October 9, 2011 at 6:42 am | Report abuse |
  75. JJ

Well, they problably made 3 of them for their friends so they can get press that they "sold out." Obviously a couple of friends bought these ridiculously overpriced little tortured crocodile remnants.

October 9, 2011 at 4:49 am | Report abuse |
  76. OceanView

Driving a 12 year old Chevy compared to a $39,000 backpack; I'd say I'm doing quite well. Anyone who would shell out $39 grand for something that doesn't have wheels is an idiot.

October 9, 2011 at 4:36 am | Report abuse |
  77. dlp

god I am soooo frickin sorry i didn't get one......NOT, what a waste of money I don't have, Olsen twins, do something meaningful with your money besides suckering people into buying this garbage. you're smarter than this.

October 9, 2011 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
  78. nikki

39,000 backpack. i cant afford it. i m a cheap person with a $1.00 bag and i am happy!!!

October 8, 2011 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Bag of Tricks

I wonder how much the bags cost in China to create.....$75.00 probably. and when they ran out of gator skin they used plastic.

October 8, 2011 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Lucas

Superficiality has reached a new high... or a new low?

October 8, 2011 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Anne

Why anyone in his or her right mind would spend that kind of money on a backpack is beyond my comperhension. It is embarrassing and these girls should be ashamed of themselves...I don't care "how hard they've worked" (and that's debatable, folks) - they are just living a life of superficiality and obliviousness. And, as an aside, what IS it with those idiotic faces they put on for photos...do they even know how to really smile? They look as vapid as their behavior.

October 8, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Uncle Jesse

Have mercy

October 8, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  83. us1776

$39,000 !!

For chrissake we have people in our own country that have been made homeless and are in need of food and shelter.

Do something meaningful with your money !!

October 8, 2011 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Ajbrown

Now personally I think if I pay $39,000 for a bag it should be a Mary Poppins Bag. Seriously I should be able to pack my entire house in it and walk around weightless. That's an insane amount for a backpack.

Now aside from that I think the girls have made a living the honest way. People bash on them but they are successful for a reason and their stuff sells. I applaud them for surviving the Hollywood child-actor arena basically unscathed. (They have their problems just like everyone else but they aren't Lindsay Lohan). While I wouldn't spend that amount of money for a bag I guess if people want to spend their money on it it's their own business.

October 8, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  85. tiredofhaters

Its funny that most on here are downing the girls without reading the article, they did not buy the backpacks, they are selling them. Each bag they sell brings in over $3000 in taxes for our economy. As far as the alligators go they are raised on farms just like cows and chickens so there is no difference. These girls contribute millions into different charities and worked hard since the were toddlers. I have nothing but respect for them.

October 8, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Jeff

Gotta love capitalism...... More power to em.....

October 8, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Peggy

Where's Peta when you want them? How many alligators did they slaughter for this useless piece of crap?

October 8, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • ajbrown

Peta is probably our shooting another naked celebrity to try and guilt the rest of America out of owning ANYTHING made of animal. Don't get me wrong I love animals but if it's used properly (the meat eaten ...etc) I don't have a problem with people using the rest of the animal for material.

October 8, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  88. twister

only 39K? – I have two, probably get a few more to hand out a halloween. Is there a better investment?

October 8, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Gena

I would imagine the only "economy" the selling of these bags is improving is the Olsen twins. They are already richer than Midas and do not NEED to make this bag, they did it because they wanted to, like climbing a mountain or bungee jumping. I am sure it was a thrill to see they could get idiots to pay $40K for a bag....A BAG!! The REAL problem here is the shallow, selfish, greedy, horrible people are buying them. Actually I don't have enough negative adjectives to call the fools who sadly have enough money to buy one. Am I jealous? Nope, even if I had enough money to buy one I wouldn't. I am more disgusted that people who are blessed or lucky enough to have the money to buy them think there is some justification to spend that kind of money when there are SO many people and causes that could benefit from that money. If there IS a Hell I have no doubt that the kind of person that would pay that amount of money for such a ridiculous thing as a BAG
    is the kind of person that will be there.

October 8, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  90. kavaclan

I thought this was some kind of joke. One look at these two 'little' girls tells you everything you need to know....OUT OF TOUCH. They should be fed to the Occupy Wall St. protesters for lunch.....!

October 8, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Badly-Bent

Met Ashley in Toluca Lake one time. She looked so mal-nurished that I tried to buy her a happy meal. Guess now it wasn't for the lack of money?

October 8, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  92. blackcurry

Anybody who would pay that much money for a freakin' backpack has oatmeal where their brains should be.

October 8, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Cryssie Ree

The only things dumber than the Olsen twins are the idiots buying their crap.

October 8, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  94. blah

this is where the "job creators" spend their pocket change. $39K could be the salary for one new employee but yet this is what they do with the expendable cash, "tax free" income!

October 8, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  95. NS

why are they always making that duckface?

October 8, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Buffalo Buns

Shows how many people have more dollars than sense.

October 8, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  97. yikes

39000? I get it – they wanted to reimburse themselves for the wasted space they took up at NYU. These women are pathetic – with their smarmy ugly smiles – didn't they get braces? Are their teeth rotten? Do they have a severe over bite? Who buys this crap?

October 8, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Sotzume

I love someone upset about "rich bashers"...its completely outrageous to spend $39,000 for a backpack and anyone who thinks that is reasonable is without a brain in their heads...but that doesn't shock me with so many non critical thinking dumb bells running around these days..

October 8, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Mike

Who has the right to criticize someone for paying $39,000 for something? Anybody with $39,000 to spend can spend it anyway they want. They earned it. And if the Twins provided the product that people wanted, what is wrong with that? LEARN FROM IT.....jealousy....wow.......Should LV and Ferrari not be bought also? Jealousy disguised in rambling protest is low. Look in the mirror. Most of these people with money have done more for charity than most ever will. Preaching and doing are two different things. Maybe there is a reason there has always been rich and poor?? Stop whining! DO!

October 8, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  100. TheMovieFan

At $39K, these bags are obviously being made in the USA. If they were made in China, they'd probably be around $100-$200.

October 8, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Really?

With today's economy these are the types of stories I DESPISE

October 8, 2011 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  102. Graciano

With today's economy these are the types of stories I despise.

October 8, 2011 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  103. Jake

How many people who shelled out $39k for these ridiculous back packs support the ne'er-do-wells who are protesting the "rich" on Wall Street?

October 8, 2011 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  104. Cain

If you can't afford one it's your own fault!

October 8, 2011 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
  105. augustghost

Why not make a backpack out of the hides of politicians...its more humane

October 8, 2011 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
  106. Tracy

I will sell them my backpack for $39,000 and then I will pay off part of my student loans because in this economy I sure cannot. Ta-da!

October 8, 2011 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
  107. Anne S.

That would be the day when I buy a backpack for my kid for $39, Besides they are certainly not role models. Since having drugs on one's records. In my opinion they aren't that great.

October 8, 2011 at 7:25 am | Report abuse |
  108. I'm Outside

"During our last economic crisis in the U.S., the only thing that went up was Hermès" Yeah, no sh**t, because the people who make up Hermès clientele aren't working at WalMart for $8.50 an hour... People buying a 39k backpack is probably the most ridculous thing I've read in a while. The status stress of the rich and famous is truly something I pity them for.

October 8, 2011 at 6:46 am | Report abuse |
  109. Easy E

I am totally in favor of these backpacks. It is essentially a tax upon wealthy fools who don't actually value their own money. Hats off to these girls for hustling on the rich but stupid crowd.

October 8, 2011 at 6:02 am | Report abuse |
  110. nicoleodea

Expensive backpacks that is. http://bit.ly/q7WotA

October 8, 2011 at 5:39 am | Report abuse |
  111. Marine57

"Flying off the shelves"??
    Probably shoplifters.

October 8, 2011 at 5:00 am | Report abuse |
  112. QuietStormX

$ 39,000 Backpack? Women buying this are probable those 1% white girls who probably don't work for it, maybe? But I just don't see spending that much for a stylish Backpack. And I just don't see then walking the street or on public transpotation like the subway, train or bus. Some girl or someone wise to this bag might want it????

October 8, 2011 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  113. ally

Really...the rich don't want to pay more taxes, but they can afford a handbag that costs the same as a new car – a really nice new car at that.

October 7, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  114. JR

Silly to buy a $39,000 backpack. Scary to see all the misspelled words in the responses. Aren't any of you people educated beyond 2nd grade?

October 7, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Rachel

This is proof that movie stars are grossly overpaid for what they do and what they're worth. With all the starving children in the USA, and people are going to spend this much for a backpack? Get a life and help a life instead.

October 7, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Spirit

Capitalism and a free market at its best (or worst).

October 7, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Seriously?

Can someone please explain how this helps the economy? They will pay MINIMAL taxes on the sales and collect the rest for themselves. This is a PERFECT example of why this country is in the cra**er

October 7, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  118. Grace

People who have 39k for a stupid backpack, should be giving it to people who need it. How do they live with themselves?

October 7, 2011 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Ron Simon

It's wrong to kill innocent animals for profit. People should boycott them and their handbags not buy them.

October 7, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  120. Audrey Eickwort

This sort of greed and selfishness makes me puke.

October 7, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Ann

Pretty cool-looking bag, actually. Of course the price is outrageous, but this is for people who spend thousands of dollars on a dress they wear once. What's the big deal? If you have the money, spend it as you like.

October 7, 2011 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  122. jj

Truly obscene excess.

October 7, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Stan

Is it just me or do they look like aliens?

October 7, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  124. cs

Sickening that people can and will spend 39,000 on a back pack. Just repulsive.

October 7, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  125. jocq

Nope! for the price of this bag I'd rather have a pickup truck. It has more carrying space.

October 7, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  126. nsoleil

They better put real gold 'buttons' for that price. I guess reality stars like the Kardashian's can afford it...or if they have a heart they can give 39k to a charity or a family in need during this recession. Or at least the Olson twins can give 50% of profits per bag to 1 person on Wall Street protesting that needs money.

October 7, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  127. theAntiELVIS

I wouldn't pay $40k for a weekend with both of them in a bathtub full of cocaine, let alone their bag.

October 7, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

I wouldn't either, but now that you mention it, this could make for a good charity event. A liitle redemption for f***ing with a poor reptile for the shamelessly wealthy.

October 7, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  128. Martin

"Due to the recession in the USA our prices didn't go up" and "if you're buying a bag for $39,000 that's the one to buy"?

These girls are AMAZINGLY out of touch. They put Paris and Nicole in the shade.

October 7, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  129. Marine57

I would not want to DO the things a person has to DO to have the kind of money he/she must have to be able to buy a $39,000 back-pack. The poor are wiser than the rich.

October 7, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  130. Norm

I bought one, but it didn't match my Porsche so I threw it out.

October 7, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  131. Texan Realist

I wouldn't buy one if I could afford it, they don't sound very good looking to me anyway. But.... the backpack costs more than the teacher?! That's a nasty markup.

October 7, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  132. Biggins08

Which bag, the one on the left or the one on the right? Nah, forget it, $40k is a bit too rich for my blood, I'm used to the $100 bags, can't see what they could possibly offer that would be worth the extra $38,900.....

October 7, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  133. Randy

I'd do them both. At the same time. They probably wouldn't want me because they've never got it on with a real man who actually gets up in the morning and works for a living. But after I got done doing them, they would never want anyone else to do them because they would be really, really satisfied! I'd be rich too! Ain't America great?

October 7, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  134. Cat

omg that is just gross killing animals to manufacture a stupid a** bag and sell them for that much when most of the world is out of work, there are no jobs and half of the world is starving to death – are they by chance donating the money to hungry children?

October 7, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  135. Randy

What is wrong with this world? You have two young women who have never worked a day in their lives and they get to live high on the hog. I work my butt off and I can barely afford to buy a pair of $15 jeans. If you spend 40 grand on a backpack, I hope you are a millionaire because you would have to be a total idiot to do that. The backpack I got I bought a few years ago at the Navy Exchange for $20 and it works just fine.

October 7, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • oranges12

They have worked since they were little babies. Was it hard labor? Um, no but the money they have wasn't just given to them. See I imagine they have had luck and a lot of business smarts. I'm not going to spend $39k on a back pack but that doesn't mean that there are not people who will (because obviously there are if they selling like pancakes) and the Olsen twins have figured that out.

October 7, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  136. martinmunson

Ashley told wickedimproper . com that she has her eye on Ryan Gosling so do stay tuned!

October 7, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  137. unemployed usa

that's more money than a lot of people make a year. seriously the biggest FU to poor people i'ver ever heard in my life.

October 7, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  138. Panda

I am amazed at how many people can't read and don't understand what they are being mad about.
    1) This bag is for their "luxury fashion line" as clearly stated in the article. The twins have many fashion lines in several price ranges. They have a collection at Target, for example. Just because you can't afford to buy top of the line items (that are overpriced anyway) don't bash them for selling to people who can afford to spend the money.
    2) Before anything, they are businesswomen. I don't know what person starts a business and says to themselves "I don't want to try and get the most money I can from things, if the opportunity to make bank is there, I'm just going to let it pass me by."
    3) Even though they have been working since they were babies, it doesn't automatically equate to them being spoiled. There are plenty of children who are lower class who are spoiled rotten yet everyone applauds them for spending way above their income or has pity for them because they are victims of the economy.

Take a deep breath and a chill pill. If you don't like that you can't afford a ridiculously overpriced bag.... how are YOU going to change it (other than whining and bashing people)?

October 7, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  139. Keith

TAX THE RICH!
    I'm not into class warfare but the fact ANYONE has the money to buy one of these is an outrage!

October 7, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • jzaks

I worked for my millions. I will spend it as I see fit. None of your business what I do with it.

October 7, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • BigBill

No millionnaires? No capitalism, no motivation, no jobs. We saw how Marxism worked. Now Russia has its own billionaires.

October 9, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  140. Sean

What I'd REALLY like to know if why can't either of these two girls smile? Every picture taken of them has them with their lips pursed. They look stupid. As for the $39,000 bag – it's shameful in light of all of the poverty and economic hardship. I have nothing against wealth – I am actually rather well off myself. But I'd much rather donate to charities and try to help those less fortunate than I instead of buying expensive items. My children are not spoiled and are certainly not sporting $40,000 backpacks.

October 7, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  141. BunnyFooFoo

Sorry, but I refuse to pay a penny over $32,000 for my backpacks.

October 7, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  142. Judy

Once again, the Olsens display their lack of concern for anything but their bank accounts by making backpacks out of living beings. Maybe for their entertainment they'd like to witness the alligators being killed and skinned. Seems that they'll remain immature, self-centered brats for a lifteime.

October 7, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  143. Bob Saget

That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

October 7, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  144. TheMovieFan

I can see why the 1% cannot have their taxes raised.

October 7, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  145. the world just sucks

39k is my husband's salary...and he has been shot at in Afghanistan and had to run for his life along with his platoon

must be nice to be rich

October 7, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • mikey25

You could not have made any better point-What is the person who spends this kind of money THINKING??? Or,more likely,they are NOT thinking...What about using that kind of money to pay service men and women more??

October 7, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  146. fitzroy johnson

If job creators want to purchase a bag instead of hiring people let them I'm sure they can write it off as a business expense so where.

October 7, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  147. Lee

Of course it's ridiculous. But hate to break it to everyone, if it was an Hermes alligator bag, it would cost $50,000 & up. A plain leather Hermes bag (for which there is a long waiting list) costs around $9,000. I am not rich and could never afford a $39k bag, but have NO problem with those who can afford it and do purchase it. There are always going to be wealthy people who can afford $10 million homes, $30,000 watches, $200,000 cars...and yes, crazy expensive handbags. And did you ever stop and think that fashion companies like theirs, The Row and lux companies like Hermes, employ low-level secretaries, assistants, janitors, maintenance staffs, etc., so it's not just about putting more money into the Olsen's hands. If they're clever enough to be entrepreneurs and design and sell an expensive clothing line that people actually covet and buy, more power to them.

October 7, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Billy

$39K could pay off my school loans and make my life a lot better and people spend that on a bag???

October 7, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  148. metalhead

I figured these two spoiled brats had dropped off the face of the earth, but doesn't look like it. Damn.
    They sure haven't aged well. They both look like plastic troll dolls.

October 7, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  149. Full House Squatter

Those wonderful tots are saving their money up to buy Uncle Jessie and new guitar!

October 7, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  150. Whatthe?

the twins are no longer cute, please put a bag over their heads!

October 7, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  151. Jilly

This is so outrageous, especially with the awful state of the economy! And as ticked off as I am at these spoiled child stars for selling this crap at such a ridiculous cost, I agree that it's the people buying them that anger me more. Wasting $39K on that garbage, but of course it's a drop in the bucket for anyone stupid enough to buy one so they can display it like a status symbol.

October 7, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  152. snowdogg

Hey... I have a $103,050 clutch made of dragonfly wings for sale !

October 7, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  153. delilah

the twins are not pushing anybody to buy the backpack worth 39K. if there is somebody who can afford then, they are lucky they sold the product. it`s business, we the poor does not belong to their world. they are super rich and can buy anything . i bought my children`s backpack in Costco, light, durable and cheap, and most of all my children are happy, they got a new one after two years.

October 7, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  154. Christina

Apparently there are people with too much money in this country. If you spend $39,000 for a BACKPACK how much will you spend on a suitcase? What a load of crap this is.

October 7, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  155. drc

Sorry, these two are out of touch, like all of HOLLYWOOD with the reality of our country. Spending 39k on a backback is no better than what the chumps down on Wall Street are protesting. Although since the Wall Street protest covers just about everything, lets add this to their list of grievances.

October 7, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  156. YGBSM

"It was the first thing that sold out..." ??? YGBSM. A $39k backpack? I can just see someone tossing it under a table at a club and going on the dance floor. Apparently the economy is going gang-busters elsewhere. Jeez, what tripe.

October 7, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  157. Rationalintn

Can anyone say........out of touch?? This is what the gap between the rich and the rest has gotten us.

October 7, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  158. capnmike

I know it probably doesn't matter much to all the phony "environmentally conscious" idiots out there who blather about the earth and all, but why are innocent animals who are only trying to survive in a world humans are destroying, even alligators, killed for their skins. I'd really like to see an alligator sporting a $40,000 HUMAN-SKIN backpack. Justice.

October 7, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  159. samantha

no only is is an absurd price..its made from alligator which is another thing that makes the bag gross. Regardless, yes the economy is crap..but that is not a good price for a practical bag as some seem to suggest in the article....another thing is that the people that can afford bags like that have not been hurt by the economy, so it is not shocking that people that have too much money (come on if your spending 40,000 on a bag, which is more than most people's cars, than you are just trying to spend all the money you have...you know all the good that money could do 2 or more families or a charity..but they waste it on a bag)

October 7, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  160. Beth Erickson

Loren-
    the actual P.T. Barnum quote is :
    There's a sucker born every minute, and two to take them...........

October 7, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  161. kard

its all relative, i guess. if i had spare 39k in pocket change, perhaps i would buy one ... can't say at the moment. but the best comment so far is "who taught them how to do that stupid thing with their lips." too funny.

October 7, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  162. Steve

Bottom line is that the rich people that had the bright idea of producing such a good are clueless....just as anyone that thinks buying a $39K backpack are. I guarantee you the poacher/hunter/supplier (whatever they are) didn't charge these little brats nor their company/buyer 39K for even enough alligator skin to make 10 of those bags (which that brings up an entirely different conversation i'm sure about the black market on certain goods)...but anyway; they are just as guilty as the people buying something that stupid. The rich need to get a clue and realize "huh...guess if we have 99% of the wealth in this county, maybe we should try to not be so obvious about"...

October 7, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

*edit* "huh...guess if we have 99% of the wealth in this country, maybe we should try not to be so obvious about it"...

October 7, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  163. Fred Evil

I wouldn't 'shell out' $39,000 for a NEW SUV, much less a stupid backpack!
    They should take note of who buys these things, and THERE is your new tax base!!

October 7, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  164. retief1954

Hunh... most people know this is what wealthy "job creators" in the U.S. REALLY do.... you can never have too many personal furnishings, houses, boats, cars, jewelry, vacations, nights out at clubs, etc. Like wealthy people do nothing but spend all day every day thinking, "man, how can I create another job?" Sure. Repubs think people actually buy into that stupid narrative. Republicans – leading the way for the 20% of voters in this country who are truly drunk on the hyper-con Kool-Aid.

October 7, 2011 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  165. Aaron

that bag reminds me of some ugly camera bag from the 70's. I think dusting off the ol jansport is a much better idea

October 7, 2011 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  166. The Voice Of Real America

Yes how dare people spend their own money on what they want to spend it on. (the previous sentence is sarcasm for the liberal stoners out there) Oh the humanity!! You new-age liberals really make me sick. This is America! People have a right to spend their money anyway they see fit! This idea that people need to be punished because they or their familiy have been successfull is simply ludacris.

October 7, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • retief1954

"ludacris".... and this guy wonders why his point of view is condemned by so many Americans. "ludacris"? Really? That's your level of literacy, and you think you know how to fix the country. Must've been tough getting out of HS for you, voice.

October 7, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  167. saopaco

I would buy one if it was made out of the hide of one or both of the Olsen twins. These two have always creeped me out.

October 7, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  168. Trebek

Answer:

It's green and smells like pork.

Question:

What is Kermit's Finger?

October 7, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  169. Mark

They haven't aged very well. They are starting to look a lot like Joan Rivers.

October 7, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  170. c doc

If you spend that kind of money on a freaking bag, you have some serious priority issues. People are starving all over the world! Donate your money to UNICEF or some other group, not to the fracking Olsen twins!

October 7, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  171. Lee65

They look kinda creepy now don't they?

October 7, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  172. poppy

do they ever really smile?

October 7, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  173. The_Mick

Looks like the Olsens, like much of American retail, is gearing up for "hourglass marketing" – pitching to the very rich and to the scavenging poor because there aren't so many left in the middle.

October 7, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  174. Derek

Can you people just be happy for someone's success for a change? They obviously work hard for the money so they have every right to spend it however they want and not feel guilty about it. They wanted luxury so they work to get to that level. If you want to help the homeless then work hard so you can also get to that level. Heck, why wait? Instead of donating 39K to the homeless, you can start by donating $39 to the homeless. Dang it, somewhere along the line, somebody did some amazing things so that their kids/relatives/friends can live in luxury. Why should they feel bad?

October 7, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bookworm

Derek, there's nothing wrong with someone enjoying their success. It's just how they choose to enjoy that success that is so abhorrent to us average hard-working middle class people out here. Is someone truly successful if they care more about a $39K bag than their fellow human beings? That's a poor standard of success, in my opinion. (And it is just my opinion).

October 7, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  175. Timebandit

I have better things to spend $35-39k on than a Black Alligator Backpack, you know what I see? Thieves being on the lookout for these things to steal, I can see Chinese and Korean knockoff's hitting the street vendors in another month. They sure are setting a good example for the young girls today, no common sense for the value of money.

October 7, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  176. alanseago

Hopefully the Republicans in the House will hold firm against tax increases for rich people, and hopefully President Obama will give in on that issue again, so that sales of these wonderful backpacks can continue to surge.

October 7, 2011 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  177. Tamara

Shame on anyone who would spend such an amount on a bag. There's NO WAY to rationalize a purchase like that in today's world. It's so sad that they've all sold out.

October 7, 2011 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  178. jimbo

Today is my last day at a job I held for 23 years as of Oct 3, 2011. I am a victim of downsizing through position elimination. I make too much for the new defined position salary ranges after a aquisition. Thanks to the Olsen twins I am reassured the executives who downsized our company can find a backpack worthy of use by their kids.

October 7, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Timebandit

You're not alone, I was laid off 9/2010 after 10 years working as a contractor for the Navy in DC. Companies are laying off those who were long time employees, here's why:

1) They can hire a college grad for less money, more money in their pocket.
      2) The older the employee, the more their premiums go up and less money in their pocket.
      3) They lay you off, but then get tax breaks for hiring new.
      4) They can over work a college grad.

October 7, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  179. Joe

No wonder they're so p*ssed off down on Wall Street.

October 7, 2011 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  180. Jason

Perfect backpack for someone who has no real concept of the value of money.

October 7, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  181. Fidel

I love seeing things like this! It will only bring on the revolution that much faster!

October 7, 2011 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  182. the_dude

I hope the zombies eat all of the 39k hand bags when they come.

October 7, 2011 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  183. Steevn

They are proof that Trailer Trash does not mean you have to be poor.

October 7, 2011 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  184. military wife

AWESOME!!! Oh, wait....thats more then my husband and I make combined in a year serving this country. What a waste! Might be better ways to spend the money, If you can afford that backpack congratulations but wouldn't you be a better person for giving someone a livable wage with that money. In fact that $39K is about 7K more then we make and he is full time military and I do day care fo military families....so yeah this is what is wrong with america....PRIORITIES folks!

October 7, 2011 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
    • spirit

Thank you for your service! What you give is worth way more than a million of these alligator bags!

October 7, 2011 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • subliminalninja

I couldn't agree more. It's obscene and disgusting. These two tramps are nauseating ...literally.

October 9, 2011 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  185. Brian

A $39,000 backpack is endemic of everything that's wrong with this country.The fact that there are idiots who have enough money to buy such a ridiculous item is exactly why thousands are marching on Wall Street. Anyone stupid enough to shell out that kind of money for a backpack should be ashamed to admit it.

October 7, 2011 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  186. godsgirl

SHAME...SHAME...SHAME on the Olsen twins...and anyone stupid and foolish enough to spend 39,000.00 on an alligator backpack. With so many people out of work, going to bed hungry, families pinching pennies for survival....nice to see american greed is still rampant....39,000.00 that should go to homeless shelters, childrens relief organizations !!! And we wonder what is wrong in our county ??? Shame Shame Shame !!!

October 7, 2011 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  187. What_The

"If you were ever going to spend $39,000 on a bag, please do the world a favor and put a bullet in your head before you do. Just make sure that you leave that 39 grand to a good charity in your will before you do."

October 7, 2011 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  188. dillo dirt is sewage

Does the backpack come filled with $38950?

October 7, 2011 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  189. erich2112x

What do you put in a bag that costs 39 large? Some lip gloss, a pocket mirror, some coke......all that sht ca go in your bra.

October 7, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  190. md

Seriously? This is a disgrace.

October 7, 2011 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  191. Pete H

Oh, but don't worry; their prosperity will trickle down to the rest of us...

October 7, 2011 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
    • subliminalninja

Love it Pete! I can't wait for it to trickle here to Flint MI. Maybe Santa or the Easter Bunny will bring it to the state with that also brought us the 1$ house on Ebay (Saginaw). I'm flabbergasted, just disgusted.

October 9, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  192. JulieB

Don't tell me there's a recession when there are people who can buy this without blinking. OK, there is a recession, but it's because the rich do really stupid things with their money–a really good thing would be to send poor kids to college with that money.

October 7, 2011 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  193. atypical

did i fall into a rabbit hole?
    the excess is incomprehensible.
    the exploitation of alligators, I'm surprised, is not illegal–not to mention egregious.

October 7, 2011 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  194. citizenUSA

I wonder how much the alligator got for giving up his/her hide? You'd think celeberties would be more aware of aninmal rights.

October 7, 2011 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  195. Wgo Sum Lamia

Don't bash the twins for cashing in, at least they earned their money and are being financially wise. Unlike, P. Hilton and N. Ritchie and the Kardashinans media ho's. What exactly have they done except live off of daddy's money? If people are stupid enough to pay that for a backpack then let the, it's not really anyone's business.

October 7, 2011 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
    • alanseago

To Wgo: You wrote of the twins "at least they earned their money". They earned their money??? Selling $39,000 backpacks? That's earning money? I call it taking advantage of the rich, the arrogant, and the shameless. I call what the Olsens did not "earning money", but thumbing their cute identical noses at working people. They didn't earn a damned thing. A guy who builds bridges, or drives truck earns his money. A prosecuting attorney, a public defender, a primary care physician, they earn their money. A soldier or policeman or fireman earns his/her money. The Olsen twins most certainly did not earn anything. Nothing except the contempt of working people, that is.

October 7, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • UFC iTard

Get off your cheap, particle board rocking pony and just admit that you're jealous that you can't make money like they do

October 7, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • blueshield

Geez, Alan move to some country where they periodically raid rich peoples homes and steal everything not nailed down if it will satisfy your qualms with American society making these kinds of people rich. Better yet take a class in economics and study American history and you'll find that having a head for business is what apparently more Americans can use at the moment. Unless you'll be satisfied with the US becoming a poor socialist country where everybody's poor so there's nobody to throw stones at.

October 8, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • JG

Come to America, where you can have the pursuit of happiness. Unless of course you actually do make it then all the wanna-bes will whine about spending money and tell you how to spend what you've earned. Pathetic.

October 18, 2011 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  196. Kevin

There's an awful lot of jealous poor people in here.

Don't be mad because they're making money and you're not.

October 7, 2011 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  197. T in Dallas

They look creepy and evil.

October 7, 2011 at 8:07 am | Report abuse |
  198. Guest

Now they should fill those bags with oats and strap them around their faces

Maybe If they eat some more they wont have that anorexic horse look

October 7, 2011 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
  199. Anon

I really don't understand bashing the rich for buying things they can easily afford. If you're buying this you probably have 1M+ houses, and 200k+ cars. Many wealthy people spend a lower percent of their income on clothing, cars, houses, and instead make investments that most people can't afford. Many, if not most, don't simple give to charity, but start their own philanthropic organizations. So why bash people who almost always make a greater contribution than you (we) could ever hope to?

October 7, 2011 at 7:07 am | Report abuse |
    • RC

Thank you!

October 7, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kathleen

"Can" doesn't equate with "should". This is obscene.

October 7, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anon

"Can" and "should" really reach a moot point when your start talking about large sums of money. Who (myself included) wouldn't live a higher lifestyle if (I) we made that much money? Everyone likes to imagine themselves as absolutely selfless, but who in reality truly is? If you are truly that selfless you would be making an impact beyond state, party, county, religious beliefs. The sad reality is that most people simply aren't open minded enough to be willing to compromise. The rich and ultra rich have the ability to make an impact and wield influence we simply cannot; why not be grateful they do something rather than nothing?

October 8, 2011 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
    • blueshield

I'm glad you said something Anon. This rich bashing has gotten out of control. Typically, their not the ones with spending problems or no concept how to save or invest. There are several noted examples of rich people giving up almost the entirety of their wealth to their favorite charities while they were still alive. Sure they indulge themselves a little, but isn't the point for most people of trying to get rich so that you can afford the better things in life? If you think that when you became rich you would completely give your money to charity we would need to examine what percentage of your current income you give to charity now. It's a good indicator of what you'll do when your wealthy.

October 8, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark C

"So why bash people who almost always make a greater contribution than you (we) could ever hope to?"

Speak for yourself, half-wit. I could "afford" one of their stupid bags. I'm just not enough of a jagoff to buy one.

October 8, 2011 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark C

"Sure they indulge themselves a little, but isn't the point for most people of trying to get rich so that you can afford the better things in life?"

The problem is idiots like you who think $39,000 backpacks are one of the "better things" in life. They're nothing more than a way for empty, soulless people with money to show off. I've known a lot of rich people who have contributed a lot to the world. Not a one of them would be a customer for something like this. People who buy this are just white trash with money.

October 8, 2011 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  200. sunnie

they all flew off the shelves, huh? sold out? All TWO of them? ok....so two people bought $39,000 backpacks...i'm sure Beyonce and Jay-Z are enjoying their matching backpacks, now.

October 7, 2011 at 2:01 am | Report abuse |
  201. Madtown

Yikes, these 2 are nasty looking. In this picture, are they answering a casting call for "The Hobbit", of the Lord of the Rings series?

October 7, 2011 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
  202. nancy

No. No I wouldn't.

October 6, 2011 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  203. Sean

This is whats wrong with America. If you want to know why people are protesting on wall street, I think 39,000 dollar hand bags are one of the reasons..... The income inequality in this country is outrageous, we are well on our way to becoming a 3rd world country.

October 6, 2011 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  204. Tracy

I just lost a decent amount of respect for these young women.

October 6, 2011 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jo

That was my first thought. It went down pretty fast. Disgusted first that they used alligator, and second the price. They've gone completely off track. To bad.

October 8, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  205. frank

what can i say, its just not my bag

October 6, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  206. retphxfire

Yeah, they're big on people, that is why they have their clothes made in Bangladesh. Hey, girls, charge 40K to pay to have your stuff made in a country that doesn't exploit their workers...It's all just a little nauseating.

October 6, 2011 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  207. FREDDY

This goes to show that the rich, just keep helping the rich get richer. They are all about the luxery and how much they have. I wonder if they know that they can not buy thier way out of death. what a waist of investment. Its true, the rich can help solve the economy crises,

October 6, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • UFC iTard

Your English blows.

October 7, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Grammer Police

To help everyone else understand this post (hope the HTML code translates):

This goes to show you that the rich just keep helping the rich get richer. They are all about the luxury and how much they have. I wonder if they know that they can not buy their way out of death. What a waste of money. It's true, the rich can help solve the economy crisis in the US, the government needs to rescind the Bush tax cuts ASAP

October 7, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Grammer Police

and yes, it should be Grammar, that was a joke for those who caught it

October 7, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anon

Ps. (if you see Anon below), I agree with allowing he Bush Tax cuts to expire. Compromise is the only way to further the needs of the nation. Increase taxes AND decrease spending.

October 8, 2011 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
  208. Dr Feelbad

Let's not forget that one of them killed Heath Ledger.

October 6, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chuck

Let's not forget you need some solid psychiatric help! Are you nuts; no one killed Heath Ledger except Heath, himself. She merely owned the apartment he was staying in. Kind of a leap, wouldn't you say??

October 7, 2011 at 3:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Dr Feelbad

You're just bamboozled by the conspiracy. Wake up, man! Its obvious she had something to do with it, she gave him the dope. She's as guilty as Conrad Murray.

October 7, 2011 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Heath

Actually she told me she was going to start a line of backpacks that cost $39K and I choked to death from the laughter...

October 7, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Queef Latina

Terrible...but that is hilarious 'Heath'. And Chuck...you are a true anus sir.

October 12, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  209. TheCoralShark

An alligator backpack? PETA is going to get them.... O_O

October 6, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  210. rinnie

Thats ridiculous my house cost 39,000 what the eff is wrong with someone that they would spend that on a backpack??

October 6, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  211. Leafonthewind

Have there ever been two more worthless people? $39k for a backpack? Anyone who pays that much for anything short of a car or a house should be taxed at 75%. If you are too stupid to do something useful with your money, you don't deserve to have it.

October 6, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  212. Tully

I'm gasping at the absurdity of it all. There are people who have money to burn.

October 6, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  213. BUFFALO

The Class War has now been officially declared! How many alligators does it take to make one of these truly frivolous and idiotic things? These two women really need to be taken downtown and shown what the hell is going on in the "real" world.

October 6, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  214. mimi of Toronto

With that kind of money, I would make better use by setting up a company, generate business/training center for the unskilled and create jobs for so many jobless people. It will be a win win situation; you'll be helping the American economy, while helping the less unfortunate. $39,000 a bag brings pleasure to the extreme only. It is sinful.- plain & siimple.

October 6, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • RC

October 7, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Liutgard

Actually, RC, if that $39 was used to create even just one job, it would inject far more into the economy, even just with income tax. Unless of course you'd rather someone make their living simply by slapping their name on a cheap bag, instead of working at an honest job?

October 7, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark C

"that's $2800 injected back into the US Economy for each bag. What have you done to compete with that??"

Well, moron, I can see how that would seem to be a lot of money to you, living in your mother's basement and all, but a lot of us pay far more taxes than that.

October 8, 2011 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  215. jillmarie

I'm lucky if I make $39,000 in a ayear, and it wouldn't be to buy this! It's great that some people can afford it, but I think it's outrageous to charge that much for a backpack.

October 6, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • LadyDyeAgnostic

I don't think an actual alligator goes for that much,lol
      Though the backpack is less likely to try and eat you when you aren't paying attention.

October 7, 2011 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Jason

Alligators are more common than the design industry leads us to believe. For 39,000 you could fund your own drunken redneck alligator expedition and have enough materials to make 20 of these things.

October 7, 2011 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
    • drunken redneck

Heck, for $3900 I'd take you out on my boat and get you that many. $39,000 – I'd sell you the boat, the guns, and as many illegal immigrants as you needed to make your own line of bags....

October 7, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  216. Loren

As P.T. Barnum said, "there's a sucker born every minute."

October 6, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  217. bella

Those dumb enough to spend that kind of money need to go visit a homeless shelter and see the poor starving kids. Hope you wear it with pride!

October 6, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Megan

Read the article – they didn't buy the bags...they sold them. If the average US sales tax is 7.25, that's $2800 injected back into the US Economy for each bag. What have you done to compete with that??

October 7, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • @Megan

Read the post. She said people dumb enough to to pay that kind of money for a bag ($39000). And taxes don't usually go toward homeless people.

October 7, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • jzaks

I just ordered 4. I will make sure to donate them to a homeless shelter.

October 7, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  218. Courtney

That's cray cray! The design doesn't even look that unique. These people should've saved their money for the knockoffs that will be coming soon. The only thing I'll ever put $39,000 towards is a house.

October 6, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  219. ted

LOL : )

October 6, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  220. Anomic Office Drone

Who taught them to do that stupid thing with their mouths?

October 6, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • JohnOBX

Ha! I went back and looked at the picture and nearly fell out of my chair. You are so right. They always look like a pair of guppies with fat lips.

October 7, 2011 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
    • malmec

Right? It sort looks like an evil smirk with a f.u. thrown in for fun

October 7, 2011 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
    • KxDeeze

I'm pretty sure that's a "Oh, crap, I have to smile but I'm dead on the inside smile." Just sayin.

October 7, 2011 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
    • LGillie

They are like that because they just smelled the inside of their alligator bags...=)

October 7, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jilly

LOL!!! So glad you mentioned that!!!

October 7, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scott

They are some creepy looking bints... if I ran into one in a park after dark, I would,t be sure whether to greet them or hammer a stake through their hearts!

October 7, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Blue Sky

I've always wondered if they even had teeth...they would look so much nicer if they smiled instead of smirked.

October 8, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dumb Face

Is that how the rich smile? They look like they are finally able to squeeze that poop out of their butts after two days of constipation.

October 8, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hannah

"Prune." That's what they say. Seriously.

October 9, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Moe Smith

their mouths are deformed from sucking too much wang to get their movies and products sold and advertised places like CNN. There's a director at CNN who is sporting a two colored rainbow on his john.

October 10, 2011 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
  221. tracie

I am very much interested in smelling the inside of that bag...........................................................

October 6, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  222. Beautiful Vixen

YES ! IM FIRST AGAIN ! FIIIIIIRRRRSSSSTTTYYY !

October 6, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beautiful Vixen

Oh wait- no I'm not. Oops. Stupid me. I'm always FIRSTY at being dumb though! Yay

October 6, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Doo Doo Monster

I will leave some presents in they lil bags.

October 6, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Laidoff CPA

Unbelievable... That's 36 months of my COBRA health insurance payments. Must be nice to live in a fantasy world.

October 7, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • factChecker

Good for you!!! (Everyone has to have a hobby. Yours is as good as any.)

October 9, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Moe Smith

You're a woman... of course you're first at being stupid.

October 10, 2011 at 8:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Todd in DC

To Laid Off: What's more important, 3 years of health insurance, or a very stylish backpack? Priorities are important you know.

October 10, 2011 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
    • berman

Why would you care if you were the first to comment?

October 17, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  223. Bev

do you KNOW the good they could have done with the $39,000.00 they wasted on buying these back packs? Do I see these richer than a KING twins helping out any charities, or third world countries, or starving children in the United States with this rediculous kind of proffit? What a shame. It just makes me sick.

October 6, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • jurby

i agree. those two girls have been spoiled and financially well-off ever since they were babies and clearly don't truly understand what it's like to have to scrape by financially (although sometimes they dress like they either dumpster-dived or raided their grandmother's closets for their clothing). i bet if they had to live without their wealth and all their luxury things, condos, etc, for more than a week that they would freak out. they could use their wealth for much better things, not hawking uber expensive backpacks, clothing, shoes, and fashion accessories. it all disgusts me.

October 6, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • cf

Actually, the Olsens are spokespersons for, and major contributors to, several charities and organizations.
      The real question should be, what contribution are being made by the people who shell out 40k for a bag?

October 6, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kristin

Don't blame the girls. It's business. Blame the morons who spend that kind of money on accessories. Nobody forces consumers to buy anything.

October 6, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • cnnblogger

did you read the article BEV??, they didn't spend $39,000 on the backpacks they designed and are selling them. Still outrageous but if your going to comment, read the article.

October 6, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • pam

Problem 1.-39000 for a backpack?? Anyone who would pay this is beyond comprehension. Totally oblivious to what is going on in this country. Could really do some good with that money and buy a backpack at Target.
      Will never support anything they do. They are cruel, thoughtless human beings.

October 6, 2011 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guest

Just do what I do,blame your parents for failing you

October 7, 2011 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Sharon

They didn't buy it, They SOLD it! WHich helps our economy! Taxes and all! Get a grip people!

October 7, 2011 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Scratch

Pam, are you differentiating between making something out of alligator hide and making something out of ordinary leather? Is one more cruel and inhumane than the other?

October 7, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rochelle

Are you jealous? It's their money, not yours. Donate all you want.

October 7, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Speak For Yourself

How can anyone say that the Olsen girls are spoiled?

They have been working since they were infants and built an entire empire from working...unless you can alert me to anything to the contrary.

As for the bags...I think its ridiculous...but not my money and people can do what they want with theirs.

October 7, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Busted

Blame the incredible tax breaks the rich get, the middle class pays taxes and our government hands it over interest free so a small group of people can afford 40K handbags. Free capital for the socialist, capitalism for everyone else.

October 7, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scott

"Problem 2.-a backpack made of alligator?? How cruel and inhumane is that?? Shows how out of touch these "designers" are with mainstream America. Only cruel, heartless snobs would buy something so tasteless and tacky.
      "

As opposed to the majority of the bags which are made from cow hides... or did you think leather grew on trees? At least the gator occasionally gets one of us in return!

October 7, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • cs

I agree totally–but it's ridiculous.

October 7, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guest1

Alligators are raised on farms, in Florida and other parts of the country. They are not endangered. Their meat is used and eaten, just like beef, their skinds are used for various things, including shoes and bags, and the rest of their parts are used for things like souvenier alligator heads like the one my son bought on a trip to Florida. Ick, but to each his own, right? (Besides, the dog chewed it up, so I no longer have to look at it). We learned about alligator farming while in Florida, and it is a sustainable source of livelihood for may farmers there. That, I believe, falls under the category of helping to sustain OUR US economy, no matter where the bags are made. No different from beef, or poultry farms. Actually, I think the alligators are treated better. There, that's my input to the comment about the use of alligator skin being cruel. As for the cost of the backpack, again, to each his own. Personally, I can think of better ways to spend money, but I'm just practical that way.

October 7, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Slimey

yes, makes me sick too.

October 7, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rexa

So let me get this straight. You're saying that people who are rich should act like they are poor? if you had a gazillion dollars are really highly doubt you'd be shopping in Target for cloths and bags.

October 8, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Shane

It doesn't bother me that they are selling a bag for that, not at all.

But what does bother me is that people are willing to spend 39k on a backpack. People want to say that the trickle down economy works, but 39k is a job for a year for a lot of people so its kinda sad.

And the twins do contribute a lot to charity. While they aren't my favorite people in the world they aren't evil.

October 8, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • billc

This reply is actually to "Guest1":

"Alligators are raised on farms, in Florida and other parts of the country. They are not endangered." Well, that's great. For the alligators. Unfortunately, the bags aren't made out of alligator. They're made from crocodile. A completely different animal. That may or may not be endangered, I don't know. I don't want to get into the whole morality of a $39,000 backpack, I just noticed that many people kept going on about an alligator back. Which is weird, since the article clearly states it's crocodile. And, just so you know, crocodiles are not alligators.

October 9, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • KellyinBoston

billc–Actually, its not made out of crocodile, but alligator, so all of the other posters were correct. The article says that the backback is made out of alligator in the second sentence.

October 9, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

They are selling the backpacks...they didn't buy them.

October 9, 2011 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Berman

Bev, perhaps you did not understand the article. Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen are the designers of these bags. Do you really think CNN would write an article about them buying a backpack?

October 17, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  224. Ha Ha Trolls

Fake BV troll FAIL. You're second. na na na na na naaaaa

October 6, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • duh

@ Sharon.... I want to see the "Made In USA" Tag before I'll agree with the helping "our" economy. even still... if made here the worker probably makes minimum wage which is still poverty level.

October 7, 2011 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
    • RKER321

You know, i bet that on top of that ridiculous price, the bag is made in china for 19.99 LOL

October 7, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • greenwithenvyEconomy

definitely not inclined to buy. could probably by a bag just as good for a whole lot less.

these rich-bashers are making all kinds of assumptions about what these girls do or what they're like. in case you forgot, these girls LITERALLY worked since they were in diapers and throughout school years. the money wasn't handed to them. they worked for it.

maybe somebody should start a march to protest all the greed for other people's stuff disguised as protest.

October 7, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • steve

@ duh. you are an idiot. just because something isn't made in america doesn't mean it isnt helping our economy. likewise, just because something is not made here, it doesnt mean that it is hurting us. its called comparative advantage. read a book.

October 7, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • imwrite

The 1% are snapping these up! It would take 40,000 of the 99% to buy 1 if we all chipped in a dollar apiece!

October 8, 2011 at 2:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Deb

after looking at the picture, I would not spend $20 on it. To spend that much money on a backpack you have to have an outrages ego. That money could have been donated to a worthy cause. I am from the lower class and I still help out those less forunated them myself. Seems to me that some could do the same.

October 8, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • WorriedBob

Wonder why people are protesting on Wall Street? Because people can buy a $39,000 backpack while others can't make $39k a year working.

October 8, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lucinda

Very sad to think there are people wasting $39,000 on a stupid bag when there is so much poverty, unemployment and homelessness in our country. Very sad.......

October 9, 2011 at 6:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Jackie

That is sick. There are people starving in this world, children without warm clothes for the winter, and people have the audacity to spend $40K on a backpack. I'm not even a liberal and I think this is wrong.

October 9, 2011 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Jackie

I didn't know much about the Olson twins (except that they were on Full House), but my opinion of them has just gone way down :(

October 9, 2011 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
    • GT

To think that any one would care what these two vampire trolls are doing now or in the past is beyond belief. As in the saying a fool and there money will soon be departed. Do you notice how these two just get weirder and weirder as they grow older and older ! Cute as baby's but just down right strange now !

October 9, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

I can't believe the tax break for the wealthy are not suspended.

October 9, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Just Me

I'd buy a house for that kind of money before spending it on a purse.

October 9, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • efafafae

39k for a backpack... ts a bag. nuff said

October 9, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • sharonb

I'm disabled and don't earn that much money in THREE years, so NO, I would not buy a $39,000 backpack. The Olson twins need to get a grip and realize NORMAL people can't afford something so trivial and useless. There are so many people less fortunate than they are who need food, clothing and a decent roof over their heads. How ridiculous!

October 11, 2011 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
    • lucidanalyst

Steve, that's not the complete definition of 'comparative advantage'... read a book on trade economics, and lose the invalid ego.. you didn't acknowledge the difference in relative efficiencies..so you are inaccurate...

October 12, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • jerry

They only had two to sell!!!!!

October 13, 2011 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Winston Churchill

What a Crock!

October 29, 2011 at 3:33 am | Report abuse |
  225. Pickadoodle

Seems like your a little racist!!

October 6, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  226. GUEST

@Ted...I see you don't get out much. The white girls I see with black guys are pretty damn hot. Perhaps its because white guys like yourself just aren't cutting it. Furthermore, Portia di Rossi is pretty attractive herself, just ask Ellen.

Its time you get over your racism, soon you'll be crying all by yourself.

October 6, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  227. freddy

licker? really? did you get past the third grade

October 6, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  228. SpirytSista

OMG! is that was she was trying to spell? WOOOOOOOW

October 6, 2011 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  229. citizenUSA

To me it depends on what part of the country you're in. I've been around. Although I do see really hot white babes with black guys, I'm mostly seeing fat, ugly desperate ones. Been that way for years and most of us understand why.

October 7, 2011 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  230. whatthe?

lol, no, the white girls might be hot, but they're trash....why dont you ask a black girl the reason why she aint dating a black guy? and why are black chicks dating white guys?

October 7, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |