Yes, Johnny Depp will take those millions, thanks
October 5th, 2011

Yes, Johnny Depp will take those millions, thanks

Johnny Depp has another three projects in the works following this month's "The Rum Diary" and it's no wonder: Forbes estimated that the well-paid actor pulled in $50 million last year, and he's trying to rake it in while the cash is flowing.

“Basically, if they’re going to pay me the stupid money right now, I’m going to take it," the 48-year-old star told Vanity Fair in the magazine's November issue. "I have to. I mean, it’s not for me. Do you know what I mean? At this point, it’s for my kids. It’s ridiculous, yeah, yeah. But ultimately is it for me? No. No. It’s for the kids.”

More from Johnny Depp's Vanity Fair interview

But even though his bank account's changed, VF writer Nick Tosches, who has known Depp for more than 10 years, says he's "still the same old Johnny." It is obvious that being photographed all the time hasn't gotten any easier for the actor.

“You just feel like you’re being raped somehow. Raped. The whole thing. It feels like a kind of weird—just weird, man," Depp says of getting his photo snapped. "Whenever you have a photo shoot or something like that, it’s like —- you just feel dumb. It’s just so stupid."

Vanity Fair's International Best-Dressed List of 2011

That comparison drew criticism on Tuesday, and Depp has since responded.

"I am truly sorry for offending anyone in any way. I never meant to. It was a poor choice of words on my part in an effort to explain a feeling," he says in a statement on the Huffington Post. "I understand there is no comparison and I am very regretful. In an effort to correct my lack of judgment, please accept my heartfelt apology."

Read the full interview with Depp when the November Vanity Fair arrives October 12.

Filed under: Celebrities

1. icon design

I join. All above told the truth. We can communicate on this theme.

P.S. Please review Hotel App Tab Bar Icons fo... from buddyicon23

September 17, 2012 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  2. icons

Excuse for that I interfere … here recently. But this theme is very close to me. I can help with the answer.

P.S. Please review High Resolution App Tab Bar Icons for iPhone from Iconoman

September 17, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  3. flangesimages

Seriously!

P.S. What do you think about Windows 2012?

September 10, 2012 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  4. joesense

i think he is one of the few guys who has very simple interests and is very smart about his wealth not affecting him. Case in point, being that once when he was in London, he went into a primary school dressed as Captain Jack Sparrow as one girl had written to him to get a mutiny going against the teachers. It really showed his class and his character then that he is such an awesome and nice guy to do this. I have not seen any other celebrity do this kind of thing. He has also donated a very very sizable sum to the hospital where his kid was treated.

November 2, 2011 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  5. zevra

I understood completly what he was saying and did not take offense to it, I had to re-think it to see where he was coming from, but once I did that I had to think what it is like to be in front of cameras's all the time without permission and no matter where you go you are being photo'ed, I think its cool. Stay awesome Johnny Depp!

October 22, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  6. it's called freedom of speech

People are sooooo stupid. He said the word "rape" in a loose comparison because some photographers are indeed intrusive and too personal and violate our space. Get a spine, get some backbone.people Mr. Depp did not hurt you in any way

October 17, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  7. cykill

why should he apoligize? Do we want free speech or not? We can't have it both ways...The man was just stating his opion. don't get your panties in a bunch people.

October 15, 2011 at 1:50 am | Report abuse |
  8. ophu

Lincoln had it right.

October 10, 2011 at 3:44 am | Report abuse |
  9. Lloyd Mongo

Hell for 50 million i'd let you rape me every day for a year.

October 8, 2011 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  10. Bob

I'm a big fan, but using rape as a metaphor - or Hitler - is just beyond the pale. People here defending the original comments are being asinine. He realized his mistake and apologized. Time to move on.

October 8, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  11. madhater

What about the movie?

October 7, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  12. the_dude

Jonny Depp was awsome as the young luke starwalker in the stars wars remake series. Just awsome! Also I got a new hoodie to wear look at me!

October 7, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  13. T in Dallas

Poor Johnny. That's the price of fame son. You take the money they take your life. You can always give it back. I hear minimum wage jobs are plenty in Texas.

October 7, 2011 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
    • L In Texas

T In Dallas, I am sure that he would have traded it to make min wage somewhere but however we all know that for someone like JD that would be impossible, he can't go back, no matter where he went, he would still be photgraphed at the local Mcdonalds and they would have to shut the place down, hell the employees wouldnt leave him alone! We love ya Johnny, keep the great films coming! Watched everyone of the Pirates except for last one but going to see soon!

October 22, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  14. jo-lopez

well i just spent 20 min reading all this bull-crap. its amazing what we will write as long as we know someone will read it. most of you insulated each other or just looked like you didn't know what you were talking about. at any rate have a good day yall!!!

October 6, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  15. chana

hes one of the best actors ever.. i love how he can be so diverse in different roles i love him!!!!!!!

October 6, 2011 at 2:18 am | Report abuse |
  16. Milly

Rape is never funny. Unless you're raping a clown . . .

October 5, 2011 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Allie

That interview reads like a conversation with my pot headed 22 year old brother. Gosh....love Johnny but what the hell is this?

October 5, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Allie

'Violated' would have been a better choice of word maybe? Having your picture taken unwilling is a hell of a lot different then being raped......not offended.....and it is a little silly people take it to heart so much but I do understand where they are coming from. They also need to take what celebritys say so freekin' seriously. I think it was good of him to apologize .. however was it needed? Not imo...maybe just a better selection of wording next time Johnny boy. :)

October 5, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Allie

Need to not take celebritys so seriously *^ need my coffee apparently heh heh.

October 5, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Zeeeeet

I wonder how Lucky Johnny is...while thousands of young actors are waiting tables or selling tehmselves to get a chance in show business...maybe with so much money his kids will never have to work in their lives...

October 5, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Zeeet

I wonder how Lucky Johnny is...while thousands ofd young actors are waiting tables or selling tehmselves to get a chance in show business...maybe with so much money his kids will never have to work in their lives...

October 5, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Jeff

To Time: How do you know that he has never been raped? Men can be raped. It actually happens quite a bit. Is not child molestation a rape?

October 5, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Reason

I feel RAPED every time people get so easily offended by someone trying exaggerate to emphasize a point.

get over yourselves people.

October 5, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Fookin Prawn

'Raped' seems to be the biggest word he was able to use during that interview.

October 5, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  24. jdog

do the kids need that 'stupid money'...what exactly are they going to work for....no one deserves this kind of STUPID MONEY for doing a damn thing, let alone entertaining....

October 5, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  25. deppisanidiot

I have that same "raped" feeling everytime I pay for a movie ticket. Congrats you idiot, do it for "your kids" and they will never have to learn any work ethic, work pride, or the value of a dollar. Your quality acting ended with 21 Jump Street. You hate the USA and you said "you're ashamed that your kids are US citizens" but your more than happy to take the "stupid money" from the USA movie patrons. You should rename your yacht "The Ungrateful Idiot", sail it in the Bermuda Triangle and run out of gas.

October 5, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Allie

I agree. Read awhile back Johnny doesn't let his kids even have TV's. Totally love him as an actor but lately he's coming off like someone with multiple personalities. He wants millions for his kids to live the high life in France or wherever the hell he is living these days.

October 5, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Red Pison

Some actors strive to maintain a positive image of themselves, it just sounds like Depp worded things wrong because having met the man in person I'd say he's definitely bro tier.

October 5, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  27. TxReasonable

Poor Johnny; over paid and in such demand for photos. If he wasn't such a fop, he would not have that problem. Some day his way over extended fifteen minutes of fame will be over and he will miss all the attention. Fops always do. His use of the word "rape" was unfortunate. No one has accused him of being bright.

October 5, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  28. PaulMc1981

It's always easy for right-leaning MEN to complain about everything being "too PC." Rape is a serious issue and, as such, the word should not be casually thrown around.

October 5, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Laura

Johnny I forgive you for the slip of the words. For the rest of you slackjaw commentors, until MEN stop the rape of women and boys, understand the rammifications of rape, get that it can scar someone for life, grow up and control your animal needs – the world will continue to require your apology.

October 5, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Purplepineappleyogurt

Wouldn't it be more like prost-itution rather than "rape." After all he is being paid millions to endure the photographing. Opps! Did I just offend prost-itutes. Sorry!

October 5, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Hank Bojangles

haha, your kids don't need 50+ million dollars. Silly actors.

October 5, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  32. tokyo joe

He still feels raped...

October 5, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  33. numb er

Well, Mike Tyson needs $50-60 million minimum to just "feed his kids"

October 5, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Moi

Oh, for God's sake! If he feels so "raped" by all the photographers, then quit! Hearing an idiot whine about what it takes to make $50 million is spectacularly stupid and shallow. Without all the paparazzi and promotion, he wouldn't be making the $50 million. I think your kids can get by now, Mr. Depp. Quit your whining.

October 5, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  35. numb er

This kind of money always ruins people, he's turning into a freak, kinda like Michael Jackson

October 5, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Tully

What a HYPOCRITE!

October 5, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  37. deppisanidiot

October 5, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  38. IHateThis City

Its a fact that woman's feet are smaller than men's feet so they can get closer to the sink to was the dishes. Is that an offensive remark? It's a joke.... lighten up.

October 5, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  39. TODAY

hey Johnny boy...stop poopin'...you are saying this cause you got money and cause it's available to you...go home and buy yourself more drugs

October 5, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  40. BCA

"Rape" -an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation: "the rape of the countryside".

I think his metaphor was appropriate. People need to stop being idiot tightwads.

October 5, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ray Hopkins

The way the word is used in the zeitgeist will always trump the direct dictionary meaning. In this time and culture "rape" has the prevalent meaning of a bodily violation. Him comparing taking pictures to getting a baseball bat plunged up his pooper is laughable and insensitive.

October 5, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Trish ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey, will yall visit HelpFaye.ORG a friend of mine is fighting for her life... Thanks

October 5, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Purplepineappleyogurt

I would think that it is more like prost-itution rather than rape. After all he is payed millions to do it. Opps! Did I offend prost-itutes. Sorry!

October 5, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  43. B_Ray

Boo Hoo Johnny, I'll be raped (have my picture taken) for 50 mil a year.

October 5, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Ray Hopkins

When are celebrities and politicians going to learn that any time you use rape as a metaphor that it will NOT end well? In times of forced invasiveness, it's okay to invoke Godwin's Law.

October 5, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Lucia

I love Johnny Depp – but "exposed" would have probably been a better word.

October 5, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  46. rfreezy

The real crime is that he made 50 million dollars to act. I know actors who make about 800 dollars a month and are equally as entertaining (at least to me).

October 5, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  47. madhater

Anyone know if that left wing, radical, liberal stooge hating, Gilliam directed that?

October 5, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  48. tcp

Are you going to give all your "extra" money away, Johnny boy? You and your kids certainly don't need it...it would be the liberal thing to do. HYPOCRITE!

October 5, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  49. balancesout

oh, i could be getting in way over my head here but...yeah i do think he should have considered his words more carefully. Words are powerful and they elicit emotions and images. Raped? Really? Did the photographer throw you down and rip your clothes off? Or perhaps you feel a little uncomfortable in your own skin and it makes you feel like your privacy and or personal space is being invaded? I suspect the later is true. I see the word rape and it disgusts me...because rape is disgusting. Words like holocaust, slavery and rape should not be watered down in our lexicon. They can easily become something we are now comfortable with. God help us when Johnny's rape and the rape of a 3 year old equate in our minds. Johnny, I accept your apology.

October 5, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Facts Please

Tax him! We want to tax all the business poeple who invest their money to start a business but we give a pass to actors because they say they are liberial but live like any other capitalist. Ya think he could have used a word like exposed or violated instead of raped which is about as intense as you can get.

October 5, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  51. MashaSobaka

Yeeeeeeeeah...probably no too good an idea for a rape apologist to say that having to deal with a photo shoot every now and then is the same as being raped. Not making himself look too good. Then again it seems like he's not too good at making himself look good ever.

October 5, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Susan Barnes

Being photographed is nothing like being raped. Read more here: http://kissamezuzah.blogspot.com/2011/10/having-your-picture-taken-is-nothing.html

October 5, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Trixie

Stupid remark and a huge slap in the face to those who have been raped. But he did quickly acknowledge his mistake and issue what seemed to be a sincere apology. He's human. Move on.

October 5, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  54. MonasteryMonkey

He feels raped because he's a p ussy!

October 5, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  55. The Trend

Guess he missed the memo- only women are allowed to play the rape card.

October 5, 2011 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  56. You've Changed Johnny

As long as people are willing to give him the 'stupid' money, it would be stupid of him not to take it. Same thing for sports stars, politicians, etc.

This says a whole lot more about our values and not his.

On the other hand, what kid needs 50 million dollars? Is he raising another Paris Hilton or Nicole Richie?

October 5, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  57. woodrow

Johnny freakin Depp can say anything he wants too. That why you gawk at him. But a million people want to feel what he feels. So he is a strange bird who says strange things. And I'm not surprised in the least.

October 5, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Dana

I have been raped, so I can say this. I took no offense to his comment. And people who do, have either not dealt with their rape properly, or need to not take things so personally. I thought it was a great description of what he was trying to describe

October 5, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  59. hawkechik

I think the word he was searching for was probably closer to "violated", having people, papparazi, etc., get up in your face and take your picture without your express invitation or permission has got to feel like an invasion of your personal space and your privacy for anyone other than a really narcissistic attention hound.

October 5, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Luke

Well just like those who get raped it is kinda his own fault.

October 5, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  61. sfdi

If I were to put myself in his shoes, I might feel that I am selling myself. So maybe the word would be "whoring".

October 5, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Ananymoose

Where do I sign up to be raped for 50 million dollars?

October 5, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Cool Johnny

He seems like a bright guy for a high school drop out.. Funny how we even give these Hollywood types so much air time to speak when its really not due after the credits roll.

Educated beyond highschool? Rare. Life experiences? Waiting tables, drugs, paparazzi, decorating homes on a million, private islands, prescription meds, infidelity divorce, establishing their kid's trust funds from multiple marriages...

October 5, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Reason

I dont care about the rape comment. People are ridiculous – many people in every day conversation use sensational terms to describe a feeling. No one gets so offended. Its a "figure of speech" – its not insensitive. Jesus. I loved the comment at the top "life isnt sesame street".

HOWEVER – what kids need 50 million a year!?!? So one out of touch stupidly rich person will breed more out of touch stupidly rich people. 50 million a year people. Can 98% of the country even comprehend what sort of money that is?? meanwhile my girlfriend is painfully struggling to graduate med school for no other reason than lack of funds. Shes actually directly saving peoples lives (just did so literally last week in a clinical rotation where she is earning ZERO pay but working in hospitals). And she will graduate to save many more lives and treat people in need and earn a TINY fraction of what JD earns for ACTING. And SHE will be considered rich by most of the country. Something is seriously wrong with our cultures value system. I hope JD is giving a LOT of that money to people who could really use it.

October 5, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  65. OfReason

Depp is an utter retard "oh boo-hoo they want to pay me millions for doing nothing of substance". Poor Johnny boy, why don't you refuse the money and go teach math if you have such mad intelligent skils.

October 5, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  66. mhmsure

This guy is such a hypocrite – bashes America all the time, but more than willing to take the money. Crappy actor and a crappy human being.

October 5, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  67. lmg

Kristen Stewart took a beating in the press over referring to the paparazzi being" like rape"...Will he take a beating too? People need to quit taking offense to everything that is said...seems like they are both good people and I don't think they meant to offend anyone!

October 5, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Mason

Johnny..Giving your kids everything they want is not doing them any favors.Not having them ever have to work and struggle is not doing them any favors. If You want spoiled drug taking disrespectful little brats...by all means go ahead.

October 5, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Frank

Bra-burners, GET A LIFE!!!!

October 5, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Mary Jones

I'm a survivor of rape also and I know what Mr.Depp meant.

October 5, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Stephanie

He's just being honest. I would do the same thing. Of course, I would donate to charities. One of my favorite actor!

October 5, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  72. mizh

Jeez. I would take million$ if someone wanted to photograph me... just be happy that's the way your life worked out, JD. Sure, you live in a fishbowl, but that's the price celebs pay. Be glad you aren't scraping by like most of us in America these days.

October 5, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  73. CynicLgrrl

"No. No. It’s for the kids.”
    Jeez, man..how much do your kids NEED??

October 5, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Mark

Good for him. Seems like a nice guy with exactly the right priorities. Amazingly talented, too.

October 5, 2011 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  75. Linda

Oh please Johnny. Like you don't already have enough money to support your kids for the rest of their lives. Even Warren Buffett wants his kids to make their own way in the world and not become dependent spoiled brats.

October 5, 2011 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  76. AJ

Brad Pitt needs to take apology lessons from Johnny Depp.

October 5, 2011 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  77. Four more years

Laughs at ALL The cowards here that like to spit out terms and put-downs here using the words "Libs / Lberals". you know NONE of you have an ouce of courage to debate a person face to face. Too bad the Tea Bag Crazies or the Republican Clowns have no chance of winning the election in 2012!

October 5, 2011 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  78. Scott

Didn't we go through this EXACT issue already with Kristen Stewart?

October 5, 2011 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  79. me

of course the money is for his kids. how are they going to expect to live on anything less than $100 million? apiece?

October 5, 2011 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  80. mlg

You can see the lack of education in this country when a educated person speaks metaphoricaly and most don't under stan. There are multiple definitions for rape. I will highlight 2: abuse or improper treatment, violation and to seize. So if a person is taken pictures of you and following you at the grocery store, wouldn't it be abuse or improper treatment? So the person taking the pictures would be raping you. So the article is using correct meaning just in politically corect way for the times. In this iliterate and sensitive age few words can be spoken without offending, although few grasp meaning of those very words. And they still take offense. The advent of computers have made progress and regress, people understand definitions of simple words, but comunicate on the internet and are quick to judge the innocent for a lack understanding. And yes rape has other definitions, including the one most comonly referd to but contexts of the article it is used corectly.

October 5, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  81. CJ

I'd so hit that! He's so yummy!

October 5, 2011 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  82. mattski

It's pretty clear Johnny has no idea of what it might mean to be a victim of rape. Maybe he's never known a rape victim so he's never had the opportunity to learn about it. Your photo shoot woes don't compare to being the victim of a rape, JD. The damages of rape traumatize a victim for years - sometimes permanently. Find a different analogy, OK? Because that one makes you sound like you believe your petty photo shoot problems to be comparable to being raped. Bad form, Johnny.

October 5, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
    • fran glass

right on. It was a terrible chocie of words.
      AGAIN, i like johnny depp's movies and what i've read of him in interviews, but i don't get folks so FIERCELY defending him on here. Do they think he is going to be their pal or something? When it comes down to it it was a dumb thing to say. He doesn't usually say dumb things... hopefully this is a fluke.

October 5, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Jason Glugla

For someone in his situation to use the word raped to describe how he feels about having his picture taken is really disgusting.

October 5, 2011 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  84. thecapedbandito

He's no Nic Cage, that's for sure.

October 5, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  85. Helmut Von Goebel

I have a hard time believing this guy is straight.

October 5, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  86. DaveNYUSA

Shut the phuqe up!

October 5, 2011 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  87. Frank

To all you bra-burners who felt offended by Depp's choice of words I give you three more words:

GET A LIFE.

Geez, go back to your household chores.

October 5, 2011 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  88. Liberal Stooge

I don't mind the name Liberal Stooge. Anyway you look at it (the 3 Stooges, the band, etc.), Stooges are awesome.

So it's not really the insult that republicans think it is. Keep trying though! Maybe all that hate will eventually make you feel better!

October 5, 2011 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  89. Justin Atherguy

Maybe Mr Depp would have been better off saying stuff like "violated, not in control, subject to the will of others, victimized, etc" I think I have seen those types of things used to describe other situations...

October 5, 2011 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  90. keith

if he truly didn't care, he'd dictate that a small % is put away for his kids and then donate the rest to those less fortunate and hurting because of the economy. Yeah take care of your kids, but if it really doesn't matter for YOU, then put the rest towards something that means just as much, people who are losiing their homes, their cars, etc....

October 5, 2011 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Cedar Rapids

Well he hasnt given it all away but he has given millions away to children's charities and homeless charities

October 5, 2011 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  91. coriolana

He has nothing to apologise for. The great unwashed masses just love picking apart anything a celebrity says and finding fault with it. They are the idiots.

October 5, 2011 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  92. Tim

Bruce Springsteen once gave an interview about his first European tour. He remembered being upset about all the hoopla just before his first concert and thinking 'I didn't ask for all this. Oh wait, yes I did.'

October 5, 2011 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  93. Mammy

"For my kids..." yeah, right. Rape the
    kids.

October 5, 2011 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  94. md

Go to hell Johnny Depp. You are a spoiled jerk just like the rest of Hollywood.

October 5, 2011 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Cedar Rapids

How is he a spoiled jerk?
      This is the guy who got a letter from a school kid about how she felts at times that she wanted to stage a mutiny at school and paid a surprise visit to the school after a days filming the latest pirates film, still in costume as captain jack, with a bunch of extra in costume as well and spent time tallking to the kids.
      He often goes to hospitals to spend time talking to the kids there as well as well as donating $2mill to great ormand street childrens hospital. He has made a tape message for one girl who was in a coma after her parents wrote to him saying he was her favourite star and if he could help, and countless other charity acts, mostly for children's causes.
      How is the guy a spoiled jerk?

October 5, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  95. big Al of KC

Listen folks. JD has the right to express his feelings/opinions. I don't believe he was attacking anyone or anyone's feelings. This is America people and freedoms that others do not have. Cherish the thought of being able express without oppression like in other places in the world. Liberals please get a grip!

October 5, 2011 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
    • fran glass

this article isn't about politics, but since you brought it up...

the only people i have ever been legally oppressed by are conservatives. What are you talking about?

October 5, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Wraith

Oh look, another Hollywood prima donna complaining about their privacy. Remember, crybaby, this was the life you chose when you opted to rake in millions for doing what you do. Tell you what, give it all up, and get a real job like the rest of us, and *maybe* you can have your privacy back.

October 5, 2011 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Cedar Rapids

Ah another idiot wanting to make a claim about what 'real jobs' are.

October 5, 2011 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
    • queenbee10

JEALOUS. JEALOUS. JEALOUS. The number one pursuit and endeavor many Americans exercise is to envy and be jealous of everyone that has more than they do–while they still make stupid choices (or pay for past stupid choices) and sit on their butts trying to figure out how the government can make everyone with more help their lazy, nonthinking, nondoing, bad choicemaking azzes.

October 6, 2011 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  97. Scarls

Why are people so overly sensitive? I hate this PC stuff (and I'm as liberal as you can be). He used the term "rape" to describe how he feels violated by the invasion of his privacy. Did he eloquently describe his feelings? No. But his use of the word does not in any sense diminish the seriousness of physical rape nor demean rape survivors. You know what does? The overreaction of people to things such as this where the intent was never malicious.

I think we are well on our way to becoming the wimpiest, most thin skinned country on the planet.

October 5, 2011 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  98. Jeepers

I get what he was trying to say. He feels violated when people take pictures of him and tell him he's good looking, oohing and ahhing. I get it.

October 5, 2011 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  99. h

amazing that Depp and Axl Rose are the same age. Axl looks like he could be his schizo grandpa

October 5, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  100. hollis

Let the man use the analogy he wants to use – if that's how he feels then that's how he feels. Maybe violated wasn't a strong enough adjective. At the same time, Johnny, don't go to a nude beach and then complain that people are naked. You step into the spotlight you take all that comes with it: the money, the fame, the photo shoots, the being chased by the stalkarazzi. It seems like a package deal – deal with it or leave the business.

October 5, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  101. Samuel R. Preston, III

For $50M you can take all the pictures you want of me...you won't hear a peep of complaint at all, I promise.

October 5, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  102. Jimbo

Way too many easily offended people in this country. Political correctness is such a joke when you get tarred and feathered everytime you use a little word as an anology. Sheesh get a life people.

October 5, 2011 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  103. rexedie

still gotta give it to the "Beatles".....all of the hounding and pushing and shoving those guys took from being famous...they just ate it up...and smacked their lips and had a good time ....laughing all the way to the bank... and they were "straight"
    fame is a monster.... so is obscurity.... which one do you prefer.......??? both have a price.... its just easier to pay it..with the first....(if you save a little money in the process)......

October 5, 2011 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  104. SuperC142

I don't even think an "it was only a metaphor" defense is necessary. He used the word appropriately.

----–

rape [reyp] noun, verb, raped, rap•ing.

noun
    ...
    4. an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation.
    ...

----–

October 5, 2011 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
    • fran glass

i guess he should tell his agent not to book him for photo shoots anymore then, huh?

he acts like he has no choice.

October 5, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
    • JosieCat

Fran Glass – I don't think he does have a choice. You don't seem him in public or doing photo shoots unless he has a movie coming out. I would imagine promoting that moving by dong magazine interviews is part of the contract.

October 5, 2011 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
    • fran glass

awww poor johnny... he has no choice but to do more movies, right?
      he has enough money that he could choose to completely fall out of the public eye if getting his pic taken makes him feel like someone held him down and forced intercourse on him.
      Hell, i'd quit if i was him. I just don't want to here the complaints.

October 5, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • fran glass

*hear

October 5, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rae

@Fran I don't think he was meaning photo shoots as being the violation; they just make him feel weird. The violation ones are more or less when he's off job and walking around at the supermarket, or beach. I don't know about you, but I couldn't imagine walking up the street with people constantly snapping up pictures. Celebrities can try all they want to stay out of the public eye, but the harder they try to stay out of it, the more the public wants to thrust them out on display.

October 5, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • fran glass

i agree with you, but it's not RAPE. I am objecting to his choice of words. I wish he had just said "violated".

October 5, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  105. J

How many of you would love to have a job that pays loads of money and live like royalty?

October 5, 2011 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  106. fran glass

I like him as an actor, think he is attractive, etc, but that was a terrible metaphor...

It isn't hypersensitive to not equate rape with getting your picture taken. That's an insult to rape victims everywhere because guess what? if they could choose i bet they would choose a photo shoot to getting held down and violated, don't you think?

October 5, 2011 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
    • seaghda

I would suggest not speaking for "rape victims everywhere" because I would venture to guess there are plenty who weren't offended by his statement.

October 5, 2011 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
    • fran glass

I wasn't speaking for them, but even if they weren't offended it remains an insult to compare hours of makeup and professional photography to rape. A photo shoot is not a rape. I wish he had just chosen a different word.
      that's all.
      such fierce johnny depp advocates on here. lol. I'm sure he'll appreciate you standing up for him.

October 5, 2011 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Dave in Portland

No Fran, he was equating the feeling of violation that he experiences. Maybe it is a personal thing for him. Not all actors/actresses embrace the fact that they are Always the center of attention.

The fact that people want to jump up and be offended every time someone says a word or uses a metaphor that rationalizes a righteous crusade is sickening. Pathetic people that just need attention.

Now if he had said "It's worse than being raped..." or something along those lines, I would agree that it was too much, but this? Come on people.

October 5, 2011 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
    • fran glass

Dan – him feeling violated when people take his picture is legitimate, but it is NOT and will never be the same thing as someone forcing their penis into his body, get it?

AGAIN AND AGAIN i say i like JD... he might be my favorite actor, but his choice of words here was awful. that's all i'm saying.

October 5, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Meh

Fact: more men are raped every year than women. That is all.

October 28, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  107. andrew

ah yes, for his kids. surely he does not have enough money just....quite....yet. what a tool. i don't care if eh wants to make gobs of money, but come on. he's doing this for his kids? he's a moron and definitely not the contrarian all want him to be. "he's so mysterious." "he's so dark." whatever he's simply what you all turned him into, a carbon cut hollywood movie star.

October 5, 2011 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Dave in Portland

Jealousy is an ugly thing. It is obvious that you are a bitter person, unhappy with where you ended up in life and so you sit back and snipe at those who have become successful. Perhaps if you had gone into acting, you could have become a sensation like Johnny. But you didn't. Tough luck for you. Don't hate him because he is doing things you will never do.

October 5, 2011 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  108. Nichole

I think he is awesome. I have seen all of his movies that I know of. I think he is a brilliant actor and does not need to be raked across the coals for using a metaphor to describe how he feels. I am survivor of rape and I was not offended. I felt instantly how uncomfortable he must feel having his picture taken and I think that is the point he was trying to get across. Favorite Depp movie, Benny and Joon.

October 5, 2011 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
    • seaghda

Same here, Nichole. Also a survivor and also in no way offended by what he said. Why? Because I know he meant the feelings not the actual act itself. That feeling of being violated. The same thing? Of course not, but who am I to say he doesn't have the same feelings. People are too overly sensitive to where no one can say anything without having to apologize later for offending someone.

October 5, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  109. jim

I have never understood why people want to know the intimate details of an actor's real life. When I watch a movie, I want the actor to be able to "convince" me that he IS that character. That is not possible when I am bombarded by reports on his personal life. Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt, both excellent actors, can no longer give me what I need in a performance because everything they do is extensively covered by every reporter who can get within a mile of them.

October 5, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Playjojo

I believe he made that very point once. You can't believe someones fighting pirates when you know what they pay for their mortgage.

October 5, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Menos

What do you think fame is all about? If nobody cared about the real person behind the characters that they played there would be no such thing as mega famous actors / actresses. Hollywood as we know it wouldn't exist. You wouldn't have clicked and read this article and decided to comment on it. The problem is inside your own head - if you can't suspend judgement long enough to enjoy a famous actor in character just because you read a headline about their personal life, the trouble is with your lack of imagination. It's like saying you can't enjoy an action thriller knowing that stuntmen and special effects are behind the car chases, explosions, etc. Think about it and get back to us.

October 5, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • queenbee10

Occasionally I will comment on the movie pages–but mostly I politically blog. That said–I agree with the comment about people being and wanting to be "lost" inside the lives of stars and entertainers. it is a way of escaping–unfortunately it is a false place to inhabit and actually takes time away from people doing what it takes to make their own lives better (books do it too) Now, I love the movies and I love to read–but I choose a time and place for it and the remainder of my life is not spent eating at the virtual table of the rich and famous or some "idol" I get up and out and do my thing–which has allowed me to travel all over the world, have a nice home and all that junk–it is not just about balance it is about knowing the game–because there really is nothing sadder than people who live through or for others or who spend their time being jealous or angry because others have and they do not. If you do not have–consider where Depp et al would be if they had not got up and did something about their dreams–but instead razzed about it n face book and on blogs and just sat at home dreaming–instead of getting up and doing all they have done to succeeed.

I LOVE to hear stories about how people made millions or billions doing their jobs–but I don't live in or by those stories–I have my own goals–and nobody gets nearer to their own dreams or goals being jealous or fantasizing without doing.

October 6, 2011 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  110. volksmaniac

Johnny Depp is an american treasure . One of the finest actors in the world . I have never seen a movie that he was in that wasn't great . I don't care what his political stance is .

October 5, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  111. GDI

I am sure there are plenty of people who would trade places for 50 million and not care if they are 'raped' by paparazzi. photos.

October 5, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Anita Bleaujob

Easy to talk like that when you have nothing that could ever be construed to be worth that kind of dosh.

October 5, 2011 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  112. MightyMoo

I wish I could get paid those crazy wages for that kind of work and feel that way. Must be horrible.

October 5, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Christine

Then why don't you quit your job and try to get his instead of complaining?

October 5, 2011 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  113. mag

I am jealous that he is so rich and successful and i have to work for a living just to make my mortgage payments. I also work for my kids.

October 5, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  114. Buttpiratesofthebean

He is such a typical Hollywood doosh. Am I jealous of the guy? Hell yeah! But not of his dooshery...

October 5, 2011 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  115. whatever

I wonder if Johnny Depp feels raped by the negative publicity caused by the people who took his statement out of context?

October 5, 2011 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  116. gilly

lesbeen there done that.

October 5, 2011 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Benny

lesbeen there THAN done that... I hate the misabuse of the English language. ;)

October 5, 2011 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
    • SilentBoy741

lesbeen there THEN done that..."

The misuse of your grammatification in an insultation to our intelligentosity.

October 5, 2011 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  117. MobiusEight

Eh, I'm pretty sure there are plenty of men and women who would just LOVE to show you what actual rape feels like. And this time without getting payed millions of dollars for it. You game?

October 5, 2011 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  118. harlow

Johnny Depp is one of the best actors there is. He can play multiple characters brillantly. It takes real talent!

October 5, 2011 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
    • ObamaYoMama

Great actor? Wow! you really don't go to the movies much do you? LOL Mediocre at best

October 5, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Cedar Rapids

Mediocre at best? oh come on, you dont have to like the guy but dont ignore the talent because of that.

October 5, 2011 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
    • pmn

He isn't one of my favorite actors. However, he is anything but mediocre actor. He is wide variety of talent to play different roles. He is very good actor. Mediocre actor's make mediocre pay and JD is making millions.

October 5, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Pirate Lover

Come on - Johhy is a good guy and I am sure he didn't mean to offend anyone.

October 5, 2011 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
    • timman

Yeah it was a stupid thing to say; he probably just didn't consider his words before speaking. But he did apologize for what he said, admittting that it was insensitive. Forgive the guy and chalk it up to talking without thinking. I am more disappointed that he did a movie with Roman Polanski, a real rapist, than his remark here.

October 5, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Josh

It wasn't stupid at all to say. It is not his fault that people have no concept of the difference between the figurative and the literal.

October 5, 2011 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Same thing

Tinman, well said.

Josh, I am underpaid here at work and I feel like I'm being treated like an (n-word). Do you see the difference between figurative and literal? Some words have power and rape is one of them. As a survivor I am not offended by Mr. Depp. I understand the context in which he made the statement, and his apology was sufficient – and it was also warranted. Sometimes people say things that are just wrong and this was one of them. He apologized and that should be the end of it.

October 5, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  120. madhater

Smell it.

October 5, 2011 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  121. madhater

That movie will be the shiz.

October 5, 2011 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  122. MarOR

Insensitive, stupid, greedy, self-pitying. Which part of that are we supposed to find attractive?

October 5, 2011 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Anita Bleaujob

So, you're unattractive, we get it.

October 5, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
    • AmericanSam

I was confused at the end of your comment because I thought you were describing yourself. Turns out you are.

October 5, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
    • les

If you don't see the attractivness there, then you should get some glasses.

October 5, 2011 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
    • stuart

I know....... so pitiful

October 5, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • queenbee10

Hmmmmm.... METAPHORS are dead–because once we consider all personalities, and sensibilities and what is PC people will be reduced to using only about 1/100 of the language to remain PC –get a grip all females or males who are also rape victims but think that word is sacrosanct to them–we speak of raping countries, bank accounts, business propositions all the time ("The Rape of Chilie") so what is the problem?

Ah yeah–Another time for you to WHINE–want some CHEESE to go with your WHINE?

October 6, 2011 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  123. Doba

Why was his comment even an issue? He used a metaphor to illustrate a profound sense of violation. If that offends you, you have the problem, not JD ....

October 5, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Bandgeek1

Could it be that there are people out there who don't grasp the concept of "Metaphor"?

October 5, 2011 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
    • RoboBobo

Agreed. Some people are just operating on a different level. They don't understand what a metaphor is, all they understand is what the word rape means and what getting photographed means, and it isn't the same thing.

They don't want to complicate it too much, because they can't understand the difference, and also because the reality is, we have all these false accusations of rape by people who felt violated already. But if you felt violated because he never called for a second date, and in retrospect you feel used because it apparently was a one night stand – you can't re-invent that as rape.

Look if you can invent a photography session as rape, you sure as heck better believe there are women who feel very violated that are more than ready to re-invent their past as rape.

Chew on that one.

October 5, 2011 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
    • StlMelz

Exactly!

October 5, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Playjojo

And thanks Doba, and Band, I was searching for metaphor and it was escaping me!

October 5, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Same thing

You're right. I feel so underpaid here at work I think that I'm being treated like a (n-word). Same thing?

Words have power whether you like it or not. I do not believe that Mr. Depp meant to insult anyone in any way. He obviously used the first example that came to mind and wasn't really thinking. That's the problem though.....we overuse that word and it loses it's power. As a survivor I do not feel insulted by Mr. Depp. It was not malicious or intentional. What's more offensive is how dismissive everyone is to the power of a rape. That is sad.

October 5, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • stejo

@Same Thing – "rape" is not an offensive word. The act is offensive, not the word. "N" is offensive (that's the general consensus, anyway). You could easily say that your work treats you like a slave, and while you may get some heat for that, it's more akin to saying you feel raped than you're being treated like a "N". Get it right, please.

October 5, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Agree w same thing

No, Same thing's analogy is right on. While rape is an offensive act to use the term in such a careless manner is offensive to many......the same way that the n-word is. It is the way he carelessly used the word. His apology should suffice, however.

October 5, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • queenbee10

As a female I can TOTALLY relate to what Depp is saying. Rape is not always physical, sometimes it is mental and it is not always with a penis–sometimes it is with a mouth, a finger a tool and yeah–eyes. Women get raped all the time–it is the uninvited intimacy and TAKING of a person both physically and mentally that is the rape–and with that–men can be raped by being exposed and raked over the coals without their permission as can a woman–and if you don't think so–try being a high powered corporate employee giving a much needed serious and detailed presentation –and when you ask if there are any questions–instead of staying on subject–the men in the conference demean you by asking:

1. If you are single
      2. How you make All your clothes look so good
      3. to be honest, could you do the entire presentation again but this time on their side of the stage–

–until finally, you have to stop the ignorant behavior and remind everyone that this is a conference concerning the trajectory and epidemiology of the bird flu so it would be appreciated if the maintain professional decorum and focus on the matter at hand.

Yeah–people can rape with more than body parts and nosy people who peel others apart for their own vicarious pleasure and the photographers and journalists who serve it up and track it down–yeah–I can see it being like rape–maybe not as devastating as the old fashioned kind, but INSTRUSIVE, UNWANTED AND STALKING/HOUNDING TO DO IT–YEAH.

October 6, 2011 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
    • queenbee10

1. If you are single
      2. How you make All your clothes look so good

Yeah–people can rape with more than body parts and nosy people who peel others apart for their own vicarious pleasure and the photographers and journalists who serve it up and track it down–yeah–I can see it being like rape–maybe not as devastating as the old fashioned kind, but INTRUSIVE, UNWANTED AND STALKING/HOUNDING TO DO IT–YEAH.

October 6, 2011 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
    • queenbee10

hEY SAME THING–at least your comment unintentionally ACKNOWLEDGES that N- are treated differently and as less– (just like they keep complaining that they are but people say they are playing the race card) Thanks for that. LOL

October 6, 2011 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Aussie in Texas

It was actually a 'similie' not a 'metaphor', but you know, semantics schemantics....

October 7, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  124. KD

Stupid, he should never have apologized for what he said. For the people who had issue, grow the hell up and get thicker skin, the world isn't sesame street.

October 5, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
    • murpis

Amen. People need to stop taking every single little thing so literally. They also need to worry about themselves before they start worrying what other people are saying or doing. Get a life, get a clue.

October 5, 2011 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Sean

Agreed. When people whine about such a little thing it just fuels those who blame the victim.

October 5, 2011 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
    • DoubleTap

you obviously have sensitivity issues... or just a bleeding liberal

October 5, 2011 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Doledart

Haven't you heard...being offended is fashionable these days. If you don't have something to be offended by your just a nobody. As a matter of fact I'm offended by all these people getting so easily offended....Who's with me?!!! ( marching off in a huff) :)

October 5, 2011 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Bob

Agreed. He was saying how it felt to be constantly stalked by weird creepy men hiding in the bushes trying to see him naked. If it was a random American woman claiming this we would all nod our heads and understand. But because some crazy organization doesn't like the comparison he has to defend his own feelings about being stalked and harassed? Absurd

October 5, 2011 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
    • chad

Obviously, none of you have been raped.

October 5, 2011 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Bubba

Dude, that's kinda heartless considering you are talking about people who've been raped. Obviously they know this ain't Sesame Street, ok? Yes, someone who's been raped needs to take charge and not let this one bad day wreck her life, but it's not an easy thing. That said, he's perfectly justified in saying it feels like rape to him. It's his life and his feelings.

October 5, 2011 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
    • KED

No Chad,
      This isn't about an insensitivity about being raped. It's the glass half full/half empty phenomenon. Both are correct. If you look at a glass and call it half empty you're no less correct than calling it half full. So yes, for women's groups supporting rape victims and rape victims themselves, you can read his comments and take from it a trivialization of what it means to actually be raped, or you can look at it from the other side and understand it as a hyperbolic metaphor. In neither case, do you actually have to assume that Johnny Depp thinks little of rape victims or lacks empathy for their experience.

What the posters before you are referencing is the mass assumption that people are literal. Several years ago a football player had to apologize (Kellen Winslow maybe?) for describing the game atmosphere as war-like, and this was shortly after combat in Afghanistan/Iraq started intensifying, and it was deemed insensitive to the troops. And now everyone is up in arms for Hank Jr's comments in which at no time did he refer to Obama as Hitler any more than he did Boehner – he simply labeled them as opposites, which they are.

October 5, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • pmn

No kidding, he used in context of words. So what! I am not offended and I am a woman. It is an expression of feeling violated. People use it all the time...for example, I am being r**ped by the IRS. Dam...everyone has to be so politically correct these days or may hurt something little bitty feelings. Gezzz, we coddle people or groups of people way too much.

October 5, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Time

Since Mr. Depp has never been raped, how he could associate the trappings of celerity success to such a violent crime. Rape does not come with a 50 million dollar plus pay check.

October 5, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Playjojo

@chad. I was molested my entire childhood, and i'm the first one to go off on people being insensitive, or just plain stupid and rude. Knowing Mr Depp's personality, it's obvious he would never mean it to be insulting. And that is what Hollywood ultimately does, strips you and rapes you. It's why they get the big money. Just because they play the game, doesn't mean they have to like it.

October 5, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

AMEN!!!!

Those bra-burners need to get back into the kitchen or go iron some shirts!

October 5, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • maecb

So nice to see a majority with the sense to speak out. Just like most words in the dictionary, "rape" has several meanings, one of which is "to violate." "Critic" however, pretty much has one: A person who indulges in fault-finding and censure, expresses judgment..... To all those Non-critical human beings... kudos!!!

October 5, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob Hope's Ghost

I feel raped that he had to apologize for his remarks on how he felt. wait, does that mean I have to apologized for saying that now?

October 5, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Thing is, people who are raped generally dont get paid 50 million for the privilege. In my next life, I want to come back as one of his kids.

October 5, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Another POV

Here's a thought----how about everyone logging off and go back to work or do something constructive....?

October 5, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • conrad

Being offended by non-personal slights is an important part of narcissism.

October 5, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • DK

LIKE!

October 5, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Andrew

You are correct, Sir.

October 5, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • stejo

to the morons saying you don't get paid 50 mill for being raped...he's not being paid 50 mill for being photographed by paparazzi...he's getting paid 50 mill for acting in big box office successes. I feel like my eyes were raped by your stupid comments.

October 5, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • stuart

No, he should not sound so arrogant and unappreciative, if he think he's over-paid, then he should ask for salary reductions.
      and the notions of money is for the kids, that to me is most ridiculous idea, who says wealths/money should pass down to your kids ??

October 5, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yag Kosha

I'm damn sick and tired of people who are damn sick and tired!

October 5, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • TheMusician

I'm offended that he apologized.

October 5, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Whitney

Thank you...people are soooo sensitive these days. Can't a person use a descriptive word without someone getting offended anymore. So annoying.

October 5, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mrs M

Wow ... how stupid can you be to pass judgment on something you obviously no ZERO about?

Repeat your idiot comment AFTER YOU'VE BEEN RAPED.

October 5, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • veggiedude

Bill Gates will leave about one million for each of his kids – if that. One million is plenty good enough to get your kids started off in life, and then they can make a life on their own. Giving them obscene amounts of money will only get them mixed up in the head.

October 5, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • 72ideas

TIME- how do you know about Johnny Depp's life? If that is how he says he feels; that's how he feels. If we're interested enough in reading about him then we should thank him for his honesty.

October 5, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • queenbee10

Gorgeous man –I'd like to think the fact his dad was a mulatto played a big part in Jonny's looks. LOL On another note–this guy is deep and I admire that he is not a true media ho like some.

October 6, 2011 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
    • queenbee10

stuart–actually the idea is only about 1000 years old–if you had a job and actually had more money than you could spend what would you do ? Stop working? Give it all away? Or save it for your kids? What are you thinking Stuart? That he should give it to some charity who would then take about 95% of it and put it in the pockets of people who work there and spend 5% on the actual cause? or are you thinking he should give it to YOU ?

That actually is what responsible people do–work and if they leave anything they leave it to their kids if they are on good terms with them–that is their right–cause guess what? it is THEIR money and stuff.

Most people leave stuff and money to their kids that is why we have estate laws and probate and inheritance taxes–it certainly does not say they should keep working to give money to what stuart wants them to. Idjit.

October 6, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
    • queenbee10

veggiedude–Americans really have to stop this idea that either other people or the money other people make is any of their business. YOU cannot decide how much money a person should make, have or leave their kids any more than you want someone to tell you what to do with what little money YOU make or what to do with your body or anything else that is yours. It is his business and FYI if people who made the equivalent of a million dollars today in the Depression had left a million for their kids today, each kid would be getting something like 63,000.00 That is 63 thousand dollars–but I digress–people who make a lot of money do not:

1. Owe you accountability for how they choose to spend or save it
      2. Owe you a dime
      3. Owe you a handout
      4. Owe you any more of a share of their tax paying than any other person.

And if you think differently–get off youer azz–make billions and give it away as YOU see fit–but it stops there–get your hands out of the next guys pocket. if people spent as much time working and trying to succeed as they did envying others and trying to leach or be parasites off people who made more–THEY and the world and this country –would be a lot better off.

October 6, 2011 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
    • queenbee10

Jim–in your next life–you come back as one of his kids–he comes back as a rooster and in less than 3 weeks you are on your way to being a piece of KFD chicken. THIS is why a lot of people have nothing and will be or accomplish nothing–you spend a lot of time envying others and thinking stupidly instead of putting your mind to work and WORKING and making different choices than the ones you have made–we can start with the choice to goof off in classes or not apply for college grants–work up to partying or eating out or drinking coke instead of working late, or investing or just drinking tap water–or choosing the wrong guy/girl for a mate or having kids too early or too many or not buttoning that thang up- and go from there.... EVERYONE of us are the result not only of life and luck but CHOICES we made–but only the fools among us think others should pay us or help us for our failure to think, plan or make better choices. FACT.

October 6, 2011 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Zevra

Totally agree!

October 22, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  125. Observer

Not a lesbeen, but definitely a liberal stooge.

October 5, 2011 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  126. Steve O

I've never understood the term "liberal stooge". It was invented by a conservative think-tank and disseminated amongst the Republican minions, making it not only an oxymoron but ironic, too.

October 5, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  127. BL

If by "lesbean" you mean someone who is semi illiterate with a rudimentary command of English, than that would be you.

October 5, 2011 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  128. AmericanSam

Not a liberal stooge, but an intelligent person, which makes one liberal.

October 5, 2011 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  129. Anita Bleaujob

It's amusing how actual stooges try to associate stoogery with something other than themselves.

October 5, 2011 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  130. ObamaYoMama

Intelligent Liberal...now that's an oxymoron, unless you say an intelligent capitalist raping money from liberals watching his pirate movies and buying swag pirate paraphernalia so they can be just like johnny... now that would best describe liberalism

October 5, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  131. Anita Bleaujob

On the same tip, you are a nad beaver.

October 5, 2011 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  132. Anita Bleaujob

What did it taste like? Humble pie?

October 5, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  133. Trixie

My thoughts exactly!

October 5, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  134. stejo

What in the holy hell are you talking about?

October 5, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |