Will this be Kristen Wiig's last season on 'SNL'?
October 5th, 2011

Will this be Kristen Wiig's last season on 'SNL'?

Kristen Wiig retired two of her "Saturday Night Live" characters earlier this year, but now there's the question of whether she'll depart from the sketch comedy show altogether.

Showbiz411 has cited a source who claims Wiig's getting ready to tape what could be her last season on "SNL." The absence of NBC's show on her to-do list would make room for more film projects, which Wiig has been racking up as of late.

There's "Friends with Kids," co-starring Jon Hamm, and "Imogene," in which Wiig plays a playwright who stages a suicide in hopes of getting back with her ex, but winds up living with her "Jersey Shore"-esque mom.

And while there's been talk of a "Bridesmaids 2," one can only hope Wiig will be in it: Jon Hamm has said he's not sure if the actress is all that interested in signing up for a sequel.

Filed under: Celebrities • Saturday Night Live • television

1. Eric

Basically, she is the show right now. It's time for a new cast.

October 5, 2011 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mark

I know its just an opinion, but she just isnt that funny or talented. I found most of her characters a little annoying or just plain stupid. As far as movies, she's good at playing small supporting parts like someones bestfriend or big sisiter...or even a bear trainer. Maybe she needs to ask chevy chase, joe piscapo,jane curtain,dana carvey,and many others who left too soon.

October 5, 2011 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  3. dx2718

If this is true, thank goodness! Kristin seems to be a talented actress but all her SNL characters are inevitably gross and/or annoying, and almost never funny. I find her SNL stuff painful to watch, so maybe, with her gone, someone else whose characters are more likeable will step in to take her place!

October 5, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  4. slong

Wow SNL is still on the air?

October 5, 2011 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Kevin

Damn straight Peter. The Red vs Blue mentality should've stopped at rock'em sock'em robots. It's amazing how people are too afraid to think for themselves and feel the need to join a "team" (essentially, that's all it really is), than to live in a true democracy. It's no wonder...

October 5, 2011 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. OldDad

Who really cares – yawn – the original SNL plus the one following the original were the best and cannot be topped.

October 5, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mel

It's a shame if it's true. She's one of the funniest people on television.

October 5, 2011 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Sapphire Maiden

I was just telling one of my friends over the weekend about her character that notifies lotto winners. I found some vids on youtube to show her, and we laughed our butts off. It's OK if people don't like her. There are people like me who think she's one of the funniest women on the planet. If you don't watch SNL, it's your loss; no one else's.

October 5, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  9. kristenFan

Kristen is undoubtedly one of the most talented actors that ever graced SNL. Her versatility is hard to match. From Greta van Susteren to Susie Orman, Nancy Pelosi and so many others in between, she's done them all. I think she is absolutely great and I think she is underused in some of the movie projects she takes on. I can only hope they will ever find somebody of her caliber if she leaves SNL.

October 5, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  10. pauler

This is good news. I am so glad to hear I am not the only one who finds her annoying and un-funny. Whew.

October 5, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • thinkSo?

oh, yes, There are lots of narrow people lacking a sense of humour... you are not alone

October 5, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  11. uggghhhh

I wanna play with her starfish.

October 5, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Playjojo

She's much too talented for the show. It did die years ago.

October 5, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jussara

Posted on You can look at the oinnle Directory of Ezines to find publications that are relevant to your company, Organs In The Human Digestive System, Calcium And Constipation, Badminton Coaching Level 1, Home Builders In Maine, Hanes Support Hose, Freed From Desire 2008, Color Purple New York, Arcade Nick Song Theme, At T Inc Lotto Check, Using Graphs To Create Equations, Biblical Term Armor Bearer, Arizona Horse Clubs, History Of Lent, Company Name Free Generator, Megan Gannon Pinewood, Comic Relief 2007, Johnny Eagle Skeet Shooter, Sarasota County Court Records, Free Hairy Armpit Movies, Qualities Of An Epic Hero, Australia Will Forms, Free Diploma Template Transcripts, Li Hing Mui Powder, Fish Fan Pulls, Daniel Dunsmore Pennsylvania, Halo 3 Midnight, Surrender Terms Of The Civil War, Philadelphia Government Bureau Electrical, Anonymous Proxy Site Unblockable, Christian Brothers Quartet, Turtle Wax Tire Wax, Cincinatti Business Opportunity, Walker Turner Tools, John Deere Company, Erik Buck Stool,

February 13, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  13. random guy

I'm glad i see several comments agreeing with what i've thought for a while – this woman is NOT funny ; and all her characters are the exact same. Good riddance.

October 5, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  14. ediguy

Who cares?? I stopped watcing when the funny cast left years ago. SNL will be another bankrupt concept from your friends at 1660 Pennsilyania Ave.

October 5, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Rocky

Is SNL still on? I haven't watched this show in years. Is it on MSNBC?

October 5, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Thank goodness

YA! She is without a doubt the most annoying person ever on SNL. The show has been sub-par for years, but still worth the occasional watch depending on the guest host and musical guest. But I had to stop watching when Wiig become the most used player, like nails on a chalkboard.

October 5, 2011 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  17. eric kutch

i think kristen wig is hysterical on SNL & in the movies....what a comedienne...i sure as heck hope she stays a few more years on SNL....she really is an asset to the phoenomenal cast on SNL....it has helped picked up my weekend watching the show on saturday nite.......she's great in the movies too.....hopefully she will have to do both.....ek

October 5, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  18. SteveHC

For those who may not be aware – Lorne Michaels and the producers of SNL have had a very long-standing policy of REQUIRING a certain amount of cast turnover every 2-3 years, to create some space for newly-found talent to get a start on their careers. They generally prefer that departures be voluntary. It can be very scary for some, so they're encouraged to start off by taking relatively small roles in films etc. while they're still working for SNL, and gradually increasing such work so that by the time they leave SNL they're truly ready to head out on their own. SNL has ALWAYS been about aspiring comics' and comedic actors' career development, a truly noble endeavor. Given Wigg's success in film, for her to be among the next to leave would make sense.

October 5, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Flooby

It's the greatest show to ever exist. It's always live, it's the ONLY live network series, and it constantly cranks out superstars. Yes, some shows/seasons are better than others, the show absolutely does not suck. Longer live SNL!!

October 5, 2011 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Never heard of Kristen Wiig

eom

October 5, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Booger McCoy

Can we shoot the next idiot who puts up the now obligatory "Who?" post? It's about as funny as "It's Bush's fault".

October 5, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Anomic Office Drone

Maybe SNL isn't the best place to showcase talents for some people. Kristen Wiig was great on The Joe Schmo Show and in the movies she has appeared in, but I find her to be utterly unwatchable on SNL.

October 5, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Barney

You all need to see more movies with her in them. There are a lot, and she's hilarious. Remember, writers do the stuff for SNL. She just acts it out as best she can. She really is a funny chick.

October 5, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Barney

Kristin Wigg is the one and only funny woman in America. She's the only woman that can make me laugh out loud. The only one. Her comedic skills are genius.

October 5, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Conner

I kind of agree with you. I would say she is definitely one of the funniest women working today. However, as far as female comedians go, Tina Fey is definitely up there as well as the gal from Parks and Rec... They all have great delivery and don't just do material that only women think is funny.

October 5, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Really?

Gillie is funny? The small handed woman? Hmmm... have not seen much SNL but have definitely NOT seen anything funny by Wiig.
      Was sooo disappointed at Bridesmaids as well. Except for the supporting cast, Wiig and Rudolph were not funny. And that cop was horrible.

October 5, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  24. frank

Finally. Kristen Wiig is about as funny as an Alzheimer's diagnosis.

October 5, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  25. scott

I think most of her characters are annoying too. But I do like her impression of Michelle Bachmann. Hmmm, maybe because annoying is the way to go with that one.

October 5, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  26. newt

Kristin who?

October 5, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  27. DERRICK

SHE IS VERY FUNNY AND HER CHARACTERS ARE ON A LEVEL OF GILDA'S OR MOLLYS. THE THING IS, THEY ALL LEAVE EVENTUALLY.

October 5, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  28. alex

Too bad, but after the success of Bridesmaids, I'm not surprised. She is so talented so she should do well.

October 5, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Ed Killer

I HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY TOO!!!

October 5, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • guy that sometimes posts "first"

snarky comeback intended to make you look stupid that backfires

October 5, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  30. jujubeans

never heard of her but she's too good looking to be funny.

October 5, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  31. NY Person

"Is Kristen Wig leaving SNL?" Answer: I certainly hope so. She's incredibly annoying.

October 5, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Penelope

Yup...I'm leaving. I'm leaving 17 different shows... That's more shows than you. I leave better than you...

You don't get it, do you?

October 5, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Destruk

I sure hope it's her last season – she is one of the 'least funny' characters on SNL.

October 5, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Brendan

SNL isn't funny, anyway. The entire show could be written by one person and nobody would know the difference.

October 5, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Sara Bean

In the course of events it makes sense. She had a very limited following when she first came to SNL....she was primarily a stand-up comedian. Now she's an incredibly bankable star! It's a money thing, unless they promote Kristen to head writer of some sort on SNL. She really has the ability and the following to have her own TV show. I'd prefer "Kristen" over "Whitney"

October 5, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  35. O.G.

Hopefully she's leaving. The majority of her characters are too annoying to watch, and not funny.

October 5, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • sdff

She was cast in them, but there is so much more to her.

October 5, 2011 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ohio Lady

I agree with you. I had a friend who had a hand similar to hers in the Lawrence Welk skit, due to her mom taking some drug during pregnancy. That just isn't funny. I love the political skits, especially the characters of Moammar Quadafi and President Obama. As to the music, who casts this anyway? Many of the groups cannot sing and look like they were dug up from under a rock. The music has been for the most part the worst part of SNL.

October 5, 2011 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Alan

I sure hope she leaves. Basically, she's done very little that was fun to watch. Her playing a elite snob got old after one time, her stupid small handed weido wasn't funny even once.

October 5, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • parisgal

I agree–after awhile, she basically played the same character, with the exact same voices and inflections, all the time.

October 5, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

I like many of her characters, but I feel like she monopolizes the show too much. The other women get to be in about one skect a week, while she's in basically every one.

October 5, 2011 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jones

I do wish Ms. Wiig would do the Target lady again, that's my favorite character of hers, and I'm very glad she retired Gilly who I never found funny. The weird Lawrence Welk tiny hands singer is pretty good but the annoying Password theatrical actor could disappear forever and I'd be happy. Yep, I'm a geek/nerd/whatever, I still watch SNL. I turned 17 during the very first show when George Carlin hosted.

October 5, 2011 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  37. elmo

Who is Kristen Wigg? Is she supposed to be famous? I have never heard of her or him. SNL died when Belushi and Akroyd left.

October 5, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • 1978 meet 2011

You probably think the AMC Pacer is still the hottest car around also.

October 5, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anomic Office Drone

No one ever thought the AMC Pacer was the hottest thing around, not even AMC.

October 5, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • allanburnz

hahhhahhhaaaa good reply

October 5, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • allanburnz

we had a green AMC gremlin.... THAT was the hottest car ever

October 5, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Land Shark

I really liked "The Thing". Looked like a cheap reproduction of a Greman staff car. You could beat it up, scratch it up and only gave it more character. Oh I couldnt care less about that woman and Bridesmaids was anything but a comedy.

October 5, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • factChecker

Belushi and Akroyd were great! But if you haven't seen her on SNL, you have missed something good.

October 5, 2011 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • SNL

Your f&**
      king name is elmo!!!!! HaHAHAHAHAHAHA

October 5, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Peter

"SNL died when Aykroyd and Belushi left the show?" You mean 32 years ago? Holy Cow.

I guess music died when Buddy Holly's plane went down, too, eh?

October 5, 2011 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Saboth

Those were indeed epic years. However, I have a real fondness for Hartman/Spade/Sandler/Farley years. Ditka, Wayne's World, Gap Girls...all hilarious.

October 5, 2011 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Elmo: our modern TV's have Remotes now. your old TV, up off your feet, walk over, turn that round knob, TV will come on, watch the show SNL. Saturday night 11: 35pm. the past 5 years have been quite good. Before that it was atrocious. try it. you might like it.

October 5, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • siberian909

Elmo – you are quite the D-bag ... there have been plenty of great comedians that have come out of that show. Wake up and put the pipe down.

October 5, 2011 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  38. madhater

Probably

October 5, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Observer

Shut up, you liberal stooge

October 5, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Peter

I don't know who are what you are complaining about, but I am completely fed up with Red and Blue team zombies hurling insults at each other. BOTH teams have screwed up BAD (see the S & P Report), yet they still yell at each other as if this is a football rivalry or something. Kids stuff.

October 5, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |