October 5th, 2011

Martha Stewart responds to daughter's book

The details of Alexis Stewart’s new tell-all have been publicized, and mom Martha Stewart discussed the buzz on Tuesday's episode of “The Martha Stewart Show.”

"The Internet is buzzing and it’s all because of my daughter Alexis,” said Martha of the press generated by the excerpts from her daughter's book, Whateverland: Learning to Live Here." “She’s at it again.”

Stewart went on, You think that now she’s a mom, she’s a grown up, that she would have sort of figured it out? Well she hasn’t."

But Martha quickly changed her tune, praising the “hilarious and enlightening” book, which she says is “full of funny stories.”

The domestic diva even defends her daughter’s former show, which was created to mock her. “Remember that “Whatever, [Martha]” show that those girls had on TV?” Stewart asks. “That was my idea."

Then Martha proceeded to go through items in the book point by point and delivers Alexis’ explanations for her remarks.

'“There was never anything to eat at my house,”' Martha reads from Alexis' text, “Other people had food. I had no food . . . There were ingredients but no prepared food of any kind.”

Martha reads the comment from Alexis on the claim: “’And that is how my house is today. Turned out to be a good thing.’” Martha then explained to viewers: “Yes if you wanted to eat when she was growing up, you had to cook something. That was the whole idea. She is a superb cook.”

Of the claim “Martha does everything better! You can't win! If I didn't do something perfectly, I had to do it again. . . . I grew up with a glue gun pointed at my head." Martha says her daughter has admitted,“Obviously what I say in this book is an exaggeration of the truth. I’m not sure if there were glue guns when I was a kid.”

And then Martha tells her side: “And she’s right there were not any glue guns. She was 20-something when I first started working with glue guns and making my Christmas book."  And she says Alexis adds, “‘I definitely prefer to have a mother who is good at things than the alternative.’”

According to Martha, Alexis has definitely backtracked on her claim that "Halloween was also a grim affair," one without any costumes.

“Oh OK. I left out the years when my mother made me costumes on the sewing machine," Alexis said. "Or let me wear all of my grandmother’s fabulous costume jewelry when I was very young and was a gypsy for Halloween. It was kind of fun pretending no one was home. No one else did that or would admit that they did it. And I still do it til this day.’”

You know what Martha didn’t explain? Peeing with the door open.

In the end, Martha laughed about her progeny’s book and said, “I must have instilled in her some good habits. She’s tall, beautiful, gorgeous and mother of baby Jude and that’s all that counts.”

She even concluded by plugging the book: “The book is out late October wherever books are sold. I encourage you to buy it, read and make it a best seller.”

What a good mom.

1. Jo Ann

Seriously, don't they deserve each other? That's one nut that didn't fall far from the tree.

October 6, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  2. jimmy

the stewarts are like the kennedys ass holes she should still be in jail

October 5, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  3. You Guys

Are azzholes.

October 5, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  4. The Jack

@Beautiful Vixen's Shadow – why dont you leave this girl alone you dumb MF! U stupid a$$ MF don't have the balls to pick on someone else so u keep going after her! U got some f-uc-k-ing issues man/girl!

October 5, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Aunt hattie

I find Alexis over run with ants. Always Negattive Thinking~~~Dr. Amen could be a big help to her..
    Some parents can never do enough. This is especially true of mom's... I wish the 40 something kids would grow up.
    Maybe the biggest mistake Martha made was not adopting a couple of boys. I wonder if it is too late for her to do that now. Alexis get over it no one had a perfect childhood. Some kids could not even have friends in, some of us were afraid mom would be tipsy when we got home from school.

October 5, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. MadCityBabe

I would imagine both Martha and her daughter cooked this up and both are in on the joke.......$$$$$$

October 5, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Frank

What a messed up family!

They need strong men around to keep them in line! Women without husbands tend to be flighty and lack direction.

October 5, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  8. LIza2

We have all made mistakes as parents, just not in the public eye, Martha may not have done all the things her child wanted her to do but she is right she is a grown up now and got there with the help of her mother. We can only do our best

October 5, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  9. elmo

Children are buuttheads. Mean and ungreatful. No wonder birthrates are so low. Sure hope I never have any of the little devils.

October 5, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Sara

I think Martha's business minded enough to realize that her daughter wrote that stuff and sensationalized it to sell books. I mean c'mon, who doesn't want to hate on Martha, and there's insiders first hand knowledge. The woman is a shrewd businesswoman and understands this, she knows the truth.

October 5, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  11. barbara

Come on people.... what's going to sell more books.... a nice e nice tell all book or one that has "the dirt." I wouldn't be surprised if Martha herself helped her daughter remember stuff to put in the book. They are both shrewd business women.

October 5, 2011 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  12. teddie

She should get her mean daughter and plop her in a baking bag and cook her up for a nice sunday dinner. Children are ungrateful brats. Thats why some people sell them to the chineese.

October 5, 2011 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  13. Maggie

It takes some children a bit longer to grow up. Being a Mom should do the trick. It did for my youngest. Reality check in it;s truest form.

October 5, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  14. Beautiful Vixen

They both sound annoying to be around.

October 5, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  15. Lucy

I'm glad that she has no problem with the book. I still think it was shallow of the daughter to do that. Taking her Mom's money and then trashing her is pretty crummy.

October 5, 2011 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Anomic Office Drone

I agree. It's good that Martha Stewart doesn't much care about the book, but it's really disgusting for a child to use her mother's fame and wealth to attempt to build a "career" that revolves around trashing her mother.

October 5, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Pliny

Doctors have just identified a new disease.

The victim's intellect and sense of humor are reduced to the level of a 5-year-old.

They call the disease....TRACIE