Look at who is emerging on 'Glee'
October 5th, 2011

Look at who is emerging on 'Glee'

And Mercedes is telling you, she's not going.

Finally some of the background characters (other than Brittany) have been allowed to shine. Tuesday night's episode gave us more of Mike Chang and Mercedes, who both got stepped up storylines.

First off, how adorable is that Mike Chang? And yes, you have to call him by his full name.

After he gets an A minus grade – which we learn is an "Asian F," and also the title of the episode – we meet his dad, who is determined to get Mike Chang into Harvard. The problem is the kid just wants to dance, not live up to his parents academic expectations.

He blows off meeting with a chemistry tutor to try out for a role in the school's production of "West Side Story." And he sings! That's right, Mike Chang can do more than pop and lock. Loved it.

It was also super sweet to see his mom supporting his dreams. I teared up when he taught her how to waltz.

Meanwhile, Mercedes boyfriend has been amping her up and letting her know that she, and not Rachel, should be Maria in the school musical. Mercedes is sick of everyone giving the star treatment to Rachel.

It all comes to a head in a great moment where the gang re-enacts an awesome scene from the Broadway musical and film "Dreamgirls." Very fitting, given that she also performs Jennifer Hudson's "Spotlight" during the episode.

Cool trivia factoid: Hudson was bounced from "American Idol's" Top 10 during season 3 before going on to win an Academy Award for the role of Effie in "Dreamgirls." Meanwhile Amber Riley, who plays Mercedes, was turned down from "Idol" after she auditioned. I'd take that as a good sign, Amber, if I were you.

Anywho, it was wonderful to see Mercedes acting out the role of Effie when the kids did "It's All Over." I just hope (SPOLIER ALERT) she's not pregnant like Effie was in the film.

Other awesome moments included the introduction to Emma's ginger-centric parents (hey, it's Ralph Malph from "Happy Days!") and Rachel and Mercedes dueling with their version of "Out Here On My Own" from "Fame" (I wondered how long it would take before they worked the original high school talent crew into "Glee").

And I loved, loved, loved Brittany taking on Beyonce's "Run The World (Girls)." Another connection, of course, is that Heather Morris is a former back-up dancer for Beyonce.

I see you connecting the Hollywood dots, "Glee!"

What did you think of this week's episode?

Post by:
Filed under: Glee • television • TV recaps

1. William G.

I enjoyed this eposide of Glee, and it was refreashing to see someone (Mercedes) finally saying what was on the minds of millions viewers. I love Rachel and believe she has an amazing voice, but it gets old watching her lead a majority of songs. I appreciate the way Mercedes stood up for herself and let it be known that she deserves the spotlight just as well as the others. Santana has an amazing voice as well, but I think this will be interesting to see how they build up the Mercedes vs. Rachel thing this season. I also feel that Mercedes did a better job on the song, which made me even happier when she told Rachel "Tell Me You were Better then Me!" I look forward to seeing Rachel and Mercedes do their things this season.

October 10, 2011 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  2. GleeSucksEggs!

Only the brain dead watch this pile of crap.

October 6, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  3. tom

LOVED it...seems like Ryan Murphy is true to his word with dealing more with the characters back stories. Mike Chang storyline very moving and we see how Emma probably developed OCD with those ginger-racist parents. Was nice to have an episode with very little Sue. Sorry but starting to really dislike Rachel. However, would love to meet her dads. LOVE Britney S. Pears

October 6, 2011 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  4. be quiet

Ginger Parents – Stupid...An A minus being an "asian F" – Stupid...the entire episode was pretty stupid, actually. Just add more musical numbers and cut out the downward spiral of a plot you have going on before the whole thing crashes.

October 6, 2011 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  5. Beautiful Vixen

TIMMMER ! TIMMMMER ! TIMMMMMMER !

October 6, 2011 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  6. J

Mike Chang was pretty good...but if I have to hear another broadway song I may start fast forwarding...BORING

October 6, 2011 at 3:55 am | Report abuse |
  7. @peace and the gang

@Evil, lol. Next weeks episode features not only Timmy, but his sidekick Jimmy. Jimmy's doing standup and Timmy's got a solo.

October 6, 2011 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
  8. GleeFan

Felt this episode was excellent. Loved all the background on the characters that was shown. Also very clever with the way they played Emma's parents and how they fed her OCD.

October 5, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Penis Wrangler

I loved the show until that chitlin smellin fat jig started with her crap.

October 6, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Suck it, TROLLS!!

Last night’s episode is my new favorite from Glee. I loved the plot with Mike and his parents. That scene with him dancing alone in the room and then his audition…amazing! I agree, Brittany’s performance was off the chain. I wonder if she’s been fooling us all along and she’s really a genius lol! I have mixed feelings about Mercedes. On one hand, she was a major diva (the way she exploded during “booty camp”), but I can understand her frustration of being double casted with Rachel. I was right there with her when asked, “Why does no one ever want to hurt her feelings?” It’s like they’re afraid she’ll turn spiteful and storm out like she did all the time in season 1 lol. Now with that said, I do think Rachel sang the last song better than Mercedes and I think she’d make a better Maria. I started the episode like Rachel then when she decided to run for class president, I was like, “Are you serious?!” It’ll be interesting to see what happens now that Mercedes has joined Shelby’s club.

October 5, 2011 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carolyn

It was my new favorite episode too! Mercedes has a chip on her shoulder and should have agreed to share the role of Maria with Rachel. Get over yourself, Mercedes. The world really is not against you...,you are your own worst enemy.
      Loved all the singing, dancing and spotlight on many different characters in Glee.

October 6, 2011 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  10. poop

Not firsty

October 5, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • GunnerGA

Bring on Damion! The Mercedes story line is already old. She is such a downer. Always complaining and storming off is she does not get her way. The Rachel character just pouts when she does not get her way and then figures out a way to get back on top of works with whomever did get on top. The Mercedes character is far less sympathetic because of this. Despite her great singing skills, the character's personality is clearly unattractive to watch. With next week's entry of Damion on the show, I will have forgotten about Mercedes and could not care less is I see her again.

October 6, 2011 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |