Hef on 'Playboy Club': Should've been on cable
October 5th, 2011

Hef on 'Playboy Club': Should've been on cable

Many of you (we'll be honest: many more than we were expecting) were not pleased with NBC's decision to can "The Playboy Club" after three episodes, giving it the title of first casualty of the season.

Of course, Playboy founder Hugh Hefner, who did some voiceover work in the premiere, was sad to see his trademarked bunnies exit network TV as well. He tweeted Tuesday, "I'm sorry NBC's "The Playboy Club" didn't find it's audience. It should have been on cable, aimed at a more adult audience." (Well, that would've been more in line with the brand.)

Since then, he's been retweeting the statements of disappointed fans, consoling one of them with the promise that there will be "three more episodes of 'The Playboy Club' –six in all."

The 85-year-old playboy isn't letting NBC's cancellation keep his spirits down. "At the same time," he wrote Tuesday, "there is renewed studio interest in a major motion picture on my life & the start of the Sexual Revolution."

In the meantime, Mondays at 10 p.m. on the Peacock Network will be filled with reruns of Maria Bello's "Prime Suspect" before the newsmagazine show "Rock Center with Brian Williams" premieres on October 31.

Filed under: Celebrities • television • The Playboy Club

1. smartman

boo

December 5, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  2. david

Blame it on the USA Christians and Tea Party conservatives, they freak out if there is anything on TV they don't like, then they organize a boycott. First they say they support freedom and then they try to censor all of us. The only reason that NBC would cancel a show like this is because the conservatives complained louder than the fans and somebody at NBC decided to cave.

October 8, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  3. T in Dallas

Dirty old coot.

October 7, 2011 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
  4. Really???!!!

What's missing is acting ability.... There is beauty; some brains; braun.............but the acting TOTALLY SUCKS!!! I watched one and half episodes and said, "That's it!! this will be a one season show" It's sad because the Heff; The Playboy mansion and the bunnies are a piece of history that needs to be portrayed correctly.. I'm excited to hear about the movie about Heff's life....

October 6, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  5. IsNot

It wasn't as bad as the nay-sayers claimed. At least the women were, for the most part, NOT portrayed as mindless bimbos. Maybe Bravo or USA will pick it up.

October 6, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Bo Ashley

Thought it was a good show with a good plot. good grief conservative americans, get over it :p

October 6, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Hef is a...

perverted old dinosaur.

October 6, 2011 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  8. WTHH

I am just waiting for them to "can" Charlie's Angels.

October 5, 2011 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  9. cancel is b s

re shop it. put it on cable. This show could be great. give it a chance.

October 5, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • M

That's not a bad idea.
      It should have started out on cable anyway. On a network channel, it was highly unlikely it would have survived.

October 6, 2011 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  10. Anomic Office Drone

I guess there weren't enough E! viewers to sustain a show on a real network.

October 5, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  11. jillmarie

I, too enjoyed the show. This happens to me a lot- I get into a show, the poof! it gets cancelled. I'll always miss Swingtown :(

I read it is being re-shopped- the NY Times said so in their article on the cancellation.

October 5, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  12. fernace

This is what I said yesterday, this series needs to be reshopped! Unless it's exclusive property of NBC, it just needs a new home because I thought it was well made & interesting! Not to mention great historical commentary of what women have gone thru to have our equal rights! The "scenery" didn't hurt either, Eddie Cibrian is hot, always has been (since Y & R days)! No wonder Leann Rimes lost her mind over the dude!!

October 5, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  13. heff

I likes me some booo bees. They make the sweetest honey.

October 5, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  14. heff

What is my favorite halloween insect? . . . . . . . . . BOO BEES.

October 5, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  15. @Fake mad

Why is controlling in all caps, Tardacus?

October 5, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |