Happy 50th anniversary, 'Breakfast at Tiffany's'
October 5th, 2011

Happy 50th anniversary, 'Breakfast at Tiffany's'

Iconic actress Audrey Hepburn is no longer with us, and neither is the author who wrote the novella that started it all, Truman Capote, but the movie "Breakfast at Tiffany's" remains an integral part of our cultural memory, even 50 years on.

Half a century ago today the movie was released to an audience, who watched - as you can see in the trailer below - Hepburn's Holly Golightly step up to the window of Tiffany's, coffee cup in hand and wearing the little black dress that's since sold for just under $1 million.

She may not have been the Holly Golightly Capote envisioned, but Hepburn's portrayal earned the actress an Oscar nomination.

While the news that this movie turns 50 today may make you feel old, we prefer to focus on how great classics like this one never age.

It's hard to pick a favorite scene from the film, but our top choices include that fabulous, raucous party, Holly and Paul traipsing about New York City, picking up a pair of masks along the way, and of course, that final scene.

Not everything was grand, however: One element that doesn't sit well with audiences is Mickey Rooney's stereotype pandering character, Mr. Yunioshi. The 50th anniversary Blu-ray of "Breakfast at Tiffany's," released in September, includes the 17-minute feature on this contested character, "Mr. Yunioshi: An Asian Perspective."

As Movieline reports, one doesn't have to be Asian or Asian-American to find the buck teeth and exaggerated accent of Rooney's character to be distasteful, even if you give producers the leeway that the stereotype reflects the era in which the film was made.

Do you have any MVP lines? We want to hear them in the comments.

Filed under: movies

1. icons

I think, that you are mistaken. I can defend the position. Write to me in PM.

P.S. Please review Blue Cube Icon from graphic-icons

September 17, 2012 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  2. icon-design

Excuse, that I can not participate now in discussion – there is no free time. I will be released – I will necessarily expesd the opinion on this question.

P.S. Please review our icons for Windows and windows12icons.

September 13, 2012 at 5:48 am | Report abuse |
  3. Carolyn

One of my all-time favorite movies. I LOVED that Audrey, who is not a singer, did actually sing Moon River in the movie. It is far sweeter than an dubbed voice could have been. One of my favorite parts! Audrey was a classic.

October 6, 2011 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Anomic Office Drone

What a terrific film this was. Watching it makes me wish people still dressed elegantly. I would prefer a woman in that black dress over one in sweat pants that say something like "juicy" across the butt any day of the week. Plus, think of all the benefits. For the added effort of being more elegantly dressed ourselves, it puts societal pressure on the kind of people who are such slobs they look underdressed at McDonalds to clean themselves up a bit.

October 6, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  4. rose

I LOVE HER AND THIS MOVIE!

October 6, 2011 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  5. Beautiful Vixen

poooooot

October 6, 2011 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  6. 12

toooot

October 6, 2011 at 7:17 am | Report abuse |
  7. roxie

Mommy told me to never marry a farmer cuz theybdont shop at Tiffany's

October 5, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  8. jake

I felt bad for Uncle Jed. That Holly ran off from the farm and didnt help get the crops in or nuthin. She was kind o the original runeaway bride.

October 5, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |