Disney to re-release four more films in 3-D
October 5th, 2011

Disney to re-release four more films in 3-D

Thanks to the huge success of “The Lion King 3-D,” Disney is going to re-release four other classic animated films in the same medium, starting with "Beauty and The Beast.”

That "tale as old as time" will hit theaters on January 13.

According to a press release, Disney/Pixar’s "Finding Nemo" will return for a limited engagement on September 14, 2012, followed by Disney/Pixar’s "Monsters, Inc." on January 18, 2013 (prequel “Monsters Universityarrives in theaters on June 21, 2013).

Last but not least, "The Little Mermaid" hits theaters in 3-D on September 13, 2013.

“Great stories and great characters are timeless, and at Disney we’re fortunate to have a treasure trove of both,” said President of Walt Disney Studios Alan Bergman in a statement.

“We’re thrilled to give audiences of all ages the chance to experience these beloved tales in an exciting new way with 3-D – and in the case of younger generations, for the first time on the big screen.”

“The Lion King 3-D” crossed the $80 million mark at the domestic box office this week, according to Disney.

Filed under: movies • Pixar

1. jaymo

People, chill out! The reason Disney is releasing these movies in 3-D is because these are CLASSICS that kids of every generation can enjoy. Why not put new technology into a great movie for people to enjoy? Disney and/or DisneyPixar have more movies lined up to come out so I doubt there is a lack of creativity there. And if Disney has a lack of creativity, then the movie industry is in DEEP trouble.

October 6, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  2. littledebbieoatmealcookie

it would be kind of cool if they'd re-release this painting in 3d: http://littledebbieoatmealcookie.wordpress.com/explosion/

October 6, 2011 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  3. dee

Thanks for the input people about 3D. I never go to movie theatres and prefer to wait until the movie comes out on DVD.

October 6, 2011 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
  4. Mark Silvers

Given how little money it cost Disney to convert the Lion King and the theatrical receipts generated, this is no surprise. I personally hate 3D. It won't surprise me if Disney re-releases Stemboat Willey in 3D just to get some revenue.

October 6, 2011 at 7:20 am | Report abuse |
  5. Karloff

Wow! I can't wait until real life is in 3D! That will be awesome!

October 6, 2011 at 6:50 am | Report abuse |
  6. jayman419

I figured it'd be Little Mermaid then HoND, then B&B, before they got into the digital ones. But the way the Lion King tore up the theaters, I knew they'd be going back to fish out the rest of them before long.

October 6, 2011 at 6:16 am | Report abuse |
  7. sammy

CHRIS COLFER TOLD ME TO COME HERE =)

October 6, 2011 at 6:09 am | Report abuse |
  8. Ellie

3D or 2D, it doesn't matter. I've been waiting to watch Beauty and The Beast on the big screen!

October 6, 2011 at 3:40 am | Report abuse |
  9. Marilyn

I found Nemo on my sushi plate.

October 6, 2011 at 1:51 am | Report abuse |
  10. Chris M

Don't waste your money. Only way this can look anywhere 3d is if it is filmed in 3d, meaning that they need 2 cameras getting the same shot with one shot being just off to the side to mimick 2 eyes as we have.

As this wasn't nor most of the films that money grubbing disney wants to pass of as 3d, they are not made in 3d.

October 6, 2011 at 1:01 am | Report abuse |
  11. Wendy

They should put Mulan and Aladdin in 3D. Those are Movies I would go see

October 6, 2011 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
  12. E.W. Swan

In other news, it was reported earlier today that Disney loves money.

October 6, 2011 at 12:30 am | Report abuse |
  13. Go away 3D

3D is totally not worth it. Every time I've gone to a 3D moviie, I'm disappointed, and I avoid them all together now. It's just a few tweaks. When I think of 3D movies, I think of the ones at Disneyland, "Honey I shrunk the audience." Your seats rumbled and it was a really fun experience, really interactive. I liked it, as a very rare treat. Just re-releasing classics in 3D is an excuse to make money by not coming up with anything new. Not that they ARE coming up with anything new, mostly prequels and sequels. Ugh. Ugh ugh ugh. Maybe Disney will pair up with George Lucas next, the King of riding on one masterpiece with re-releases.

October 5, 2011 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Scott

3D worth it? Not so much, Avatar was pretty good but I think most just slap 3D on it to make a few extra bucks... I've given up spending the extra money on 3D theater movies! When is the last time you heard, "YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS MOVIE IN 3D?".... I'll wait

October 5, 2011 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • LaLaLaLaLa

Last time I heard that? About the Lion King. And yes, I felt it was worth it.

October 5, 2011 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Scott

I can't get NEMO on Bluray nor will they make NEMO 2! Screw Disney

October 5, 2011 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
  16. katie

OMG WHY does little mermaid have to be so far away?!?! at least it's my birthday month haha. but i'll be almost 27!

October 5, 2011 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Grace Johnson

Can they PLEASE do Aladdin?! I swear I would see it everyday in theaters. I also think the magic carpet ride scene would look really cool in 3D. And when Aladdin rolls the apple on his arm. It would be such a great movie in 3D!

October 5, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Kay

The real shame is that Disney is never going to make a 2D animated movie again. The failure of The Princess and the Frog pretty much killed off their 2D animation business. It'll all be 3D from now on. So enjoy these 2D classics when they come out, Disney won't be making any more of them.

October 5, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Annie

Kay "The Princess and the Frog" grossed $25 million opening weekend and made more money around the world. Maybe not as great of other Disney classics but hardly failure. Where did you get that from?

October 5, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • lolwut

Maybe from the fact that when Aladdin came out or the little mermaid, EVERY CHILD in that generation knew the movie and the characters. Try asking a kid what the name of the main character of the princess and the frog is and see what happens. Disney just wanted to make a black princess, now nobody cares.

October 5, 2011 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ty

I suppose The Princess and the Frog grossing over $267 million is a failure.

October 6, 2011 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
    • AJ

not necessarily. Disney did make Winnie the Pooh in 2011 in 2d and they're making The Muppets in 2d also

November 21, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Mônica

CHRIS COLFER TWEETED ABAOUT THIS! I LOVE YOU CHRIS PLEASE BE MINE

October 5, 2011 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  20. dee

I've never seen a 3D movie. Is it worth the difference?

October 5, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • moribundman

No, it's not worth it.

October 6, 2011 at 6:09 am | Report abuse |
    • JR

It is worth it the first time you see one. After that, it's not worth it because it is nothing special anymore.

October 7, 2011 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  21. jiggle the handle and flush

jiggle the handle and flush

October 5, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Anomic Office Drone

The only thing creative about the entertainment industry today are their creative solutions to avoid actual creativity.

October 5, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Crys

I'm surprised that they didn't go for "Aladdin." With the magic carpet scenes, it probably would be really cool in 3D.

October 5, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • I KNOW

That's what I was hoping for!!!

October 5, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • lolwut

Don't worry, these won't be the last movies they will re make in 3D. I guarantee they saving Aladdin for a future release.

October 5, 2011 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Eric

You just knew this was going to happen after all of the success with re-releasing the Lion King. It's far to easy to polish up something that you already have instead of being really creative and making something totally new. Just another money grab by Disney.......

October 5, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  25. wilbur

FIRSTY ! I AM FIRSTY !

October 5, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Sick Trolls

You all need help...and lives

October 5, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Mortimer Snerd

But I know a worthless turd when I see one. Time to jiggle the handle and flush you down!

October 5, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |