Tension on 'The View' over use of 'N' word
October 4th, 2011

Tension on 'The View' over use of 'N' word

The hosts of "The View" found themselves debating another contentious topic on Monday, as Whoopi Goldberg discussed the recent use of the "N word" in the news.

(Rick Perry had been under fire for the word "Niggerhead" having been on a rock at the entrance of a Texas property that his family leased.)

"When the candidate Herman Cain talked about how radically insensitive it was," "The View's" Goldberg said Monday, "he didn't use the term 'N-word,' which I guess is what we're supposed to be saying now."

Barbara Walters picked up the thread of the conversation and repeated the name of the property, noting that "The fact that I just said it gives me chills." Walters was barely able to get that statement out, however, because Sherri Shepherd jumped in to relay that she found Walters' use of the word to be discomfiting.

"When I heard you say it, it was fine," Shepherd told Goldberg. Turning to Walters, she remarked, "When I heard you say it, I didn't like the way you said it....I don't know if it's a semantics thing, but there's something that goes through my body...It's something about hearing you say it. I don't like it when you use that word. I use it with my friends, my family, I don't say it like you. When you say it, it's a different connotation."

Filed under: television

1. 移動電源

My companion and My partner and i stumbled above here different website and thought I should check things out. I similar to what I see so i'm just following anyone. Look ahead to overlooking your web site repeatedly. 移動電源 http://www.powerbankdigital.com

June 22, 2013 at 6:20 am | Report abuse |
  2. tim

the word should not be used by anyone it's that simple!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 8, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Keep it REAL

PC...PC...PC...PC...Everyone so anxious, and willing to say anything someone else may find offensive. What happened to just being a decent human being. Hatred is running rampant in this country and always have. We're forced almost to take side on so may issues that realy mean nothing to us personally. Say the foulest thing you can think of, then waste days justifying it.

October 5, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  4. The Baby Jesus

Can't we all just get along?

October 5, 2011 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  5. Thunter

I feel that the word is deragoatory no matter who uses it. The black community has turned something negative into what they feel is positive. A word is only as good as the meaning and feeling you put behind it. Therefore they've attempted to take the original meaning from it. To me no matter how or who says its degrading and I don't like it. It seems like people have desensitized. That word should not be a way to identify others of the same race knowing what it represents to past generations and current. My suggestion is that no one should say it no matter the race!

October 5, 2011 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  6. Boshon

I guess ole Bubba jr. Wasn't ready for the unemployment line.Can you say back peddle?I knew you could.

October 5, 2011 at 5:18 am | Report abuse |
  7. while you were sleeping

Well hit me with a feather. didnt post my comment. oh weell to stoned to write it again. hippie man out. maybe bc i wrote p -o-t they didnt post it..lol

October 5, 2011 at 5:03 am | Report abuse |
  8. @hungry man

a.k.a - mr ed..lol. forgot to take your meds again. em ever thought the reason she left marquee is bc of you? if she is on another site like you said, why aren't you there stalking her..lmao

October 5, 2011 at 3:55 am | Report abuse |
  9. Tin Tin

what u mean..n!ggar

October 5, 2011 at 3:39 am | Report abuse |
  10. frankie

Don't you people ever stop fighting on these blogs?

October 5, 2011 at 3:02 am | Report abuse |
  11. Hungry Man

@one of the trolls-yea sure u r one hellfa bad a55..lmao! i wish u were standing in front of me. i would love to show u what i think of u litt f*(king pansey b!tch

October 5, 2011 at 2:35 am | Report abuse |
  12. Lany Holmes

I meant people like you

October 5, 2011 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
  13. Lany Holmes

@eva to people like it wouldn't matter what the president does,you're not going to like it.It's like when my grandmother said her father who served in WWII had to ride in the back of the train in America after fighting in a segregated war,while pows Hitlers'guys rode in the front.The Dixie Chicks lost their careers over their comments about Bush,so the same should to this no talent drunk.As for Whoopie,the way that she admires white men it doesn't surprise me that she defended him.

October 5, 2011 at 12:51 am | Report abuse |
  14. MARCY

I'm almost 60 and have seen a lot since i've been here. I thought that in 2011 Things would have gotten a little better as far as race is concerned. I do see that the generational curse has been passed down from the fathers to the sons and daughers to still think that they can say whatever they want to degrade another or make another feel less. It's not right for anyone to call anyone else a terrible name no matter who you think you are. There is one who is bigger than all of us who made all of us. The day will come very soon when we all will have to answer for what we say and do. What will you do when you have to stand before God for your actions on this earth me included. Repent for the Lord is at hand!!!

October 5, 2011 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
  15. Eva

I hate the media not mentioning unemployment, poverty, crime is mentioned because it gets attention. What causes it? Elected officials get paid for doing nothing! Time we get freedom of speech, and a voice just like Hank Williams

October 5, 2011 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  16. @Troll

Yea right

October 5, 2011 at 12:16 am | Report abuse |
  17. Tattletale

I love it when these airheads go at it. It is like watching clowns at the circus. It is OK when Goldy says the N-word, but I feel uncomfortable when you use it. How about this N-word – you Nit-wits.

October 4, 2011 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Ronni Jr.

@eric you idiot,you are the most racists person,you have a computer so pull up things and see how much whites are trying to do away with racism.Next watch the Fox News,well with the way you think you wouldn't comprehend anyway.

October 4, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • eric

ronni, thank you. your response is a visual in what i was saying.
      and yes, i do watch fox news.

October 4, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • eva

I just want to let people know that Hank Williams and Whoopy should know that Hitler is not a good comparison to Obama because Hitler developed the Volkswagen to grow the economy, evil as he was, no comparison to our President, playing golf, doing nothing, just collecting his pay, while our troops fight for our country

October 5, 2011 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
  19. Guest

Rules for white people using the N-word

1.Make sure there are no black or dark skinned people around

2.Make sure everyone around you is aware of the context you use the word in

3.Make sure you are in a private area,shut the blinds if necessary,In case there are any black people who can lip read outside

4.Search room for recording devices.

5.Search under bed and in closet in case any minorities are waiting to jump out and yell "AHA"

6.Make sure all doors are locked,in case the room isnt soundproof.If caught,blame on the TV

Congratulations,you are ready to use the N-word

October 4, 2011 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Sokman

My 7th grade teacher got fired for reading Tom Sawyer aloud to the class. All thanks to Tom's buddy N-word Jim. Way to keep the white man down.

October 4, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guest

The white man isnt being kept down any more than the sun is being kept from rising every day

October 4, 2011 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  21. mickie

Are you f–king kidding me. Get over yourself Shrei,REALLY

October 4, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  22. eric

it seems to me that white people are trying and doing the best we can do abolish racism, as the blacks are keeping racism alive with the n-word by using in text and conversation, and describing themselves. ( sherri actually admits to using the word with friends and family). maybe they should change the Miss Black American Pagent to the Miss N american pagent, no more B.E.T. channel, now it will be called the N.E.T channel. get my point. racism is nothing more than a product of ones environment.

October 4, 2011 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cornell

are you beeing sarcastic?

October 4, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • chelleechell

Eric,
      Please grow up! Racism is alive and well in 2011 as it was in 1956, it is just disguised better, to some, but, to those of us that have lived through it before, we can see it is still kickin'. The world revolves in a circle, always remember that!
      My question to you is, do you actually believe in your heart that the white man is trying to do away with racism? If your answer is honestly yes, then you live in a fantasy world!

October 4, 2011 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Simply

Eric besides, BET is no longer run by the afican americans... it is now overcome by caucasions so BET does not qualify in this analogy :)

October 5, 2011 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  23. Nelson Barber

@Rod in Texas believe it or not,not all black people use the word n*gger just like all white people in Texas don't call each other rednecks.

October 4, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  24. ZoSo

This rates as news WHY?

October 4, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Mr.butters

While I don't encourage the word to be used. Barbara Walters was merely saying the name. She didn't choose it, and I'm certain she doesn't approve of it, but I don't think it's wrong to use the word in that context. It isn't being hateful and to jump on Barbara Walters for using it is a joke.

October 4, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Rod in Texas

Attention all Black People, If you don't like the word, then tell your own people to stop using it. You can't say it's OK for me to say it but you can't say it. It doesn't work like that.

October 4, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  27. rj

I think Sherri is wrong as this is America and we can say what we want no matter what color we are. To be offended because someone is white using the same words as Whoopi has just used is racial on her part.

October 4, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • chelleechell

Honey, what planet are you from? That is a line that should not be crossed. After all, we did not force the Caucasian race to do anything against their will now, did we? The "N" word in Webster's Dictionary in 1967 had a definition of anyone who did not know how to act. Look it up now, and, who changed the definition?

October 4, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Booo

Sherri shepherd is a fool and a disgrace to black women. How ABC continues to pay a woman who admitted that she's unsure as to whether or not the Earth is flat for her "view" on things is beyond me.

October 4, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Keneth

You go Whoopi and Barbra, I continue to like both of your stiles, opposite as it may be. You both speek the truth. The notion that we as a society have chosen to use N-Word to represent n-– is ridiculous. Eather way the words are offensive in the context they are used. We have come to the point our society that's made us feel we can't even speek the word or read the word the way it is written. It is time we speek the truth and demand the same from our politicians. It is the feelings that N- word or n-– provokes that is the real issues needing to be addressed. Sherri with all respect but the thought that it is OK for you as a black lady to use the word n-– within your own race but it is not OK for Barbra to even speek the word because she is white and she has to use this fabericated N-word is totally outrageous and racist. I speek for myself and alot of other people, black and white when I say that the word n-– is offensive because of a time and era it represents. The word is offensive because we have become more sensitive of our feelings and each other feelings (the healing process). That is why Barbra feels uncomfortable saying the word. Please consider this, it is only a word but a powerfull word that can evoke all types of feelings and emotions. A word that crosses racial lines and is offensive to both black and whites alike. To hear young black men walking through the mall refering to each other as the n-words is disrepectfull and offensive to all exposed. The next time you and your friends (only black friends) are casually dropping the n-word please take time to contemplate what is really taking place. To the heart and core you are practicing racisium (it's OK for blacks but not whites) and it only underminds the accomplishment we've made to abolish racism from our society.

October 4, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • FourNobleTruths

Could not agree with you more, Keneth. Great post.

October 4, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • friartuck

it's spelled STYLES, SPEAK, EITHER...oh I could go on, but then, what's the point. Just shut it & get yourself an education.

October 4, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • ***Joni***

Well said Keneth.

Friar*uck,
      You obviously missed the point...

October 4, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • cornell

I love the n word. because in my opinion we took a word that was used strictly to demean us and now we turned the word around and now the people who gave us the name cant use it with out being subject to some type of scrutiny. and its amusing to know that you people really want to be able to use the word so bad. get over it people if the word was not so forbidden you wouldnt be so fasincated with the word.

October 4, 2011 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • la

What do you mean "you people"?? Racist! lol

October 6, 2011 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  30. Anomic Office Drone

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Being a host on The View is essentially proof that you have no business being a journalist or even involved in political discourse. That said, malice or no malice, going to a place with that name while running for president is stupid enough to make you a qualified applicant to be a host on The View.

October 4, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

He hasn't visited the leased hunting land named "N******" since he's been running for president. It was painted over over 20 years ago after he and his family visited it for the first time. . Perry's leased portion was only 2% of the entire parcel. This thing has been blown way out of proportion.

October 5, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  31. You make me sick

I've heard white people call each other derogatory names,that's not right either but don't act like you don't do it.You can call anyone whatever you want.

October 4, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  32. one of the other trolls

If you can use it, then so can we. It's like you're daring us to use it by saying it to each other all the time. We don't go round calling each other h0nk!e or cr@cker because it's offensive.

October 4, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Iwishuwould

I bet you wouldn't say that s*it around me. If you did, you'b be picking yourself and your teeth off the ground/floor...whateva!

October 4, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • one of the other trolls

@iwishyouwould – careful there, sonny.you have no idea who you're talking to. Don't let your mouth write checks your a$$ can't cash.

October 4, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rod in Texas

Iwishuwould: Guess what! You'd be convicted and gone to prison before I said the word Ouch. How do you like that?

October 4, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • drgafbut..

Actually, NO YOU CAN NOT! I challenge you to say it in public! Hiding behind the safety of your computer makes you think you can do things that really you can't, no matter how many snide remarks you make here, you are making them here...

October 5, 2011 at 7:27 am | Report abuse |
  33. Cookie

I'm with him, perry. I'm all for Perry!! You go boy!!

October 4, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Evel Knievel

Of course, Sherri said that while she had a turkey leg in her mouth.

October 4, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Policeman

Here's a transcript from the conversation:

Cackle, cackle cackle. Cluck, cluck, cluck girlfriend...

October 4, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Deangela

Sherri you need to stfu you're talking out the side of your neck.

October 4, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |