Money dispute may halt 'Simpsons'
October 4th, 2011

Money dispute may halt 'Simpsons'

"The Simpsons" may not make it past its 23rd season.

The Daily Beast reported Tuesday that the studio and the six principal actors who lend their voices to the show are battling over pay, with 20th Century Fox Television trying to get the actors to take a 45 percent pay cut.

Twentieth Century Fox Television tells CNN in a statement, "23 seasons in, 'The Simpsons' is as creatively vibrant as ever and beloved by millions around the world. We believe this brilliant series can and should continue, but we cannot produce future seasons under its current financial model."

The Beast names the individuals in question as Dan Castellaneta (Homer Simpson and Krusty the Clown, among others), Julie Kavner (Marge, among others), Nancy Cartwright (Bart, among others), Yeardley Smith (Lisa), Harry Shearer (Ned Flanders) and Hank Azaria (Chief Wiggum, Moe, and Apu Nahasapeemapetilon).

The actors themselves have reportedly tried to negotiate a 30 percent pay cut on the grounds that they receive a small piece of the "back-end profits," including revenue from syndication and branded items, like lunchboxes, DVDs and clothing.

According to reports, the star "Simpsons" voice actors are currently making around $8 million annually for 22 weeks' worth of work, and with the pay cut proposed by the studio would make closer to $4 million. The Beast reports that the actors currently don't receive any compensation from those ancillary revenue streams.

Twentieth Century Fox Television tells CNN in its statement, "We are hopeful that we can reach an agreement with the voice cast that allows 'The Simpsons' to go on entertaining audiences with original episodes for many years to come."

Filed under: television • The Simpsons

1. Robert

Wait...NahasapeeMApetilon? All these years I've been saying Apu NahasapeeNApetilon!!! Next you'll tell me Bart's teacher is something like Krabappel and not Ms. Crab Apple...

October 6, 2011 at 2:46 am | Report abuse |
  2. Samantha

I'm glad. Now Nancy Cartwright can stop funding her Scientology cultist friends. Good riddance.
    Family Guy is far better anyway.

October 5, 2011 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Lyle

Go watch any episode from the current season or last year (Season 22) and then go watch "Marge and the Monorail" from Season 4 (just to pick a random example from The Simpsons' glory days) – the show's decline is both steep and obvious. Speaking as someone who's been a fan since the Tracy Ullman days, it's time (long past time actually) to put this show to bed. I'll always treasure my DVDs of Seasons 1-9, though.

October 5, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Max23

How many of you would accept a 45% pay cut after 20+ years with the same employer?

It has nothing to do with whether or not the actors can afford the cut (they can). It has everything to do with the fact FOX makes billions of dollars off of their voices and the executives are giving themselves pay raises while putting the blame on the actors. It's ridiculous.

October 5, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Nothing

The Simpsons is one of my favorite shows but since the 16th season it became quite ordinary or out of simpson original style.

October 5, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Average Joe

Look, I love the Simpsons as much as the next guy, but it's way too late for this show to die with any sort of dignity. Just put this tired old beast of a show to bed already!

October 5, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Josh

The "Two and a half Men" kid star Jake, just signed a two year $14.3M contract.

If the studios think that is OK, then why is $8M for all the voices on Simpson's too much?

October 5, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  8. King

Fox cutting back on the actors pay has nothing to do with the show not making money. It still headlines their sunday night lineup of animation, and it is still number one over Family Guy. That show has turned out alllllll of the other animated shows on Fox except Simpsons. 23 years in, that is Royalty. No, the show should not be put out to pasture, because it has plenty of fans, and gains many many more. I was there when it debuted on the Tracey Ulman show and I was there for season 1. Yes it got stale because we all grew up. who still watches things like South Park, Bevis and Butthead etc. this is narrowminded thinking that just because YOU do not agree, then it must be bad. And for all those "fans" that claim a show is past its prime, there are just as many, if not more, fans that think this show is still great. And as cancel-happy as Fox is, you know they would never cancel a show that is still their cash cow. The actors should be paid and compensated for their full worth. And a voice actor is what gives the image of a character its life. No one will buy a homer or bart t-shirt if the voice actors didnt sell the character. Remember "Peanuts"? It didnt really start making money until Charlie Brown made cartoons. And for the love of God, leave politics out of this. Its bad enough we deal with buttholes with their own absolute opinions everywhere else....but in a discussion about the Simpsons?!!!

October 5, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  9. MobiusEight

Well, if Fox wanted to kill the show this would be the way to do it.

October 5, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  10. Major

If those actors are unable to deal with being paid 4 MILLION a year after paycuts, Fox can call me about a show.
    I'll do voice work for annual pay of, say, 50 grand a year?
    Wish I had the luxury of an almost %50 pay cut bringing me down to only 4 million a year.

October 5, 2011 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  11. Reflecto

Do I hear Comedy Central calling?

October 5, 2011 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  12. shelbydawkins

please, please, please Simpsons just go away. They are so tired and stale. They are just horrible. NOT FUNNY ANYMORE IN FACT NOT FUNNY FOR A LOOOOONG TIME.

October 5, 2011 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  13. Pete

I like the Simpsons, but unfortunately Nancy Cartwright supports a criminal Cult with her money in a big way, that is investigated or slave labour and human trafficking among other things. The less money she gets the better it is for mankind.

October 5, 2011 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  14. BillyD1953

Doh!

October 5, 2011 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  15. Moneyac

Finally! How long can anyone watch this show? Moreover, the humor's long gone. Now its all corporate BS that is sprayed all over anways. Give new shows a chance!

October 5, 2011 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  16. Kristi

Would be sad to see this go as its about the only thing on tv I still watch. I cut the cable long ago but still get Fox and local stations over the antenna but most network shows blow.

October 5, 2011 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  17. Skip

It will be sad the day the Simpson’s end but like every other television program it most likely will but for the time being I bet even if the voice actors do walk away, there must be a lot of people out there that have their voices down to a T. So if they really want to I am sure they could be replaced and that is not to say they will but surely it is possible and also as it has already been commented, 4million smackers for 22 episodes sounds like a sweet deal to me. Unless these guys suck with money they should all be set for life by now so why not just take the pay cut and keep working for the fun of it, there must be a lot of good times in doing that show I would think. Anyway, as little as I get to watch the show these days, when I do watch it, I do enjoy it so it would be sad to see it go just yet!

October 5, 2011 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
  18. old gaffer

The voice actors are hired guns; if they don't like the salary offered, they're free to take their talents elsewhere. If the show stops, their salaries go to zero, the marketing continues, and some of the merchandise takes on collector status.

For the record, I'm a fan of neither the Simpsons nor hostage-taking labor

October 5, 2011 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
  19. Tiff

I'm a huge Simpsons fan & am what it seems like one of the few people that still find it funny & a solid show. I would be sad if it ended but I would be even more sad to see it end over a money dispute. If it ends it would be better if it ended because they wanted to end it. Even though I am a huge fan & still find it funny I do agree some of the newer episodes haven't been as strong as some of the older episodes. I also agree the voice actors are being a little greedy with how much they earn & wanted more money.

October 5, 2011 at 4:01 am | Report abuse |
  20. Larry

I hope the last episode of the Simpsons will be a parody of every horrible series finale ever made (Seinfeld, Lost, etc)

October 4, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  21. magmore

Why should only the voice actors take a cut . If they need to cut .. cut everyone . Greedy corporate america . is it any surprise that the people in charge of the money take care of themselves first and screw everyone else?

October 4, 2011 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  22. ProperVillain

Wait...the Simpsons is still on?

October 4, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Joe

The show does not pull the viewers that it once did so the actors should get paid less and it looks like they are trying to work it out 30% vs. 45%. This is a difference of about 55K an episode. For people who don't think the actors are worth it and new voices should be found remember two things. One, that the actors do multiple voices and it will be hard to replace that talent. Two, that when Futurama was up for new seasons on Comedy Central and new voices were going to be used the fans said if you do we won't watch. So new voices would end the show.

October 4, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Chach

If it meant keeping my job or not, I think I would take the pay cut from roughly $363,000 PER WEEK down to $200,000. I mean, what else is would Dan Castellaneta, Julie Kavner, Nancy Cartwright or Yeardley Smith have lined up for work, making that kind of money, if they didn't have the Simpsons? I love the Simpsons, but it just seems greedy to me.

October 4, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  25. David

I am wondering if the creators of the Simpsons could shop their deal to another network, they may be interested in stealing this show away from Fox.

October 4, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Joshua Ludd

Really? Fox is hurting for money? No. But hey.. any excuse to cut someone's pay. The actors seem to have a rather good compromise offer, frankly.

October 4, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  27. wow wow

seriously? someone really tried to make this political? i swear, anything a right wing dumbtard doesnt like, theyre going to slap 'liberal' on it just because they dont like it. PATHETIC and inappropriate non sequitor. you dont see the left doing that.

October 4, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Alan

Fire all the voices and make sure that they write their tax checks to Obama.

Share the wealth those greedy DummyCrat ass kissers.

October 4, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  29. victim of democrat hypocrisy

Good. I hope it does go off the air permanently. I stopped watching 2 or 3 years ago when it became too terrible to stomach. I can't remember the last time I laughed at an episode.

They "jumped the shark" when they spent gobs of money to for a flavor-of-the-month cameo instead of putting that money towards good writing.

But it seems every popular cartoon is doomed right after they make it into a movie...

October 4, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Deadguy

Bye Homer we will miss you.

45% cut I would walk too.

October 4, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob

45% is a significant pay cut, but not when you're basing it off $8 million per year to work as much as Congress does (not that Congress does anything worthy of a paycheck). If they can't live off $4 million per year, then they need to do some personal budget analysis. I live comfortably, and within my means, off $40K per year. Put simply, they are greedy. It's no wonder why the international community has such a negative view of us Americans.

October 5, 2011 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
  31. Pdario

Why is that when when banks want to rape you with excess costs and fees it's ok, but when an individual wants to make as much as he can, suddenly it's a sin.

October 4, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Chris

I agree with soo many here Simpsons became stale years ago ..... I do think the actors should get what they can as llong as Fox or whomever sells the crap tshirts dvd's etc. On another note I think The Family Guy is much better these days than the Simpsons.

October 4, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  33. George K

Makes sense since the show has declined in popularity. I loved it when i was younger the first season wasn't my fave but the animation got alot smoother and the jokes and stories were fresh, now it seems its still funny but reuses alot of old jokes and to much of whats going on in pop culture is where it has lost originality. I think i stoped being religious after "who killed Mr burns" episodes , and lets not get started on the movie geez what a bummer it could have been way better if only 5 years earlier or so. Still 4 mill in such a down economy for 4.5 months of work is really good , could pick back up after a few years but i think these voice actors better just start looking for something fresh! and to people spouting politics "Don't have a cow man.."

October 4, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  34. David Dee

Well, FOX has to pay for all the Repucknican/Teabragger depates and polls some way

October 4, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Annexian

Paying them as much as that is pocket change compared to the $ they earn.
    Down with the rich elite!

Let's ban FOX while we are at it! Propaganda for Morons and LibTardz

October 4, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  36. mouse

i havent watched the simpsons since FOX started suing fansites. far as im concerned the show was dead long ago and this is just waiting for the last breathe

October 4, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  37. The Lunatic

The show is still popular, just not popular enough to justify the salary the cast is raking in. If they quit, they earn nothing next year. If they take the pay cut, they still can make $4 million each for 22 weeks of work. Hmmm.

October 4, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Ben P

I feel the actors fault they make 8 MILLION for 22 weeks of work. fox says how bout 4 MILLION. BUT NOOOO we NEED ALL THE $$$ we can get

October 4, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Pat

It is an immortal show, it had a brilliant run, but I think it is time to bring it to a close.

Family Guy seems to have picked up where they left off.

October 4, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  40. cpc65

It's long dead. Just bury it already!

October 4, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  41. FROM THE INSIDE OF MOES TAVERN

HEY DRUNKIN FOX IDIOTS AKA EXECUTIVES...GIVE THE PPL WHAT WE WANT..........SIIIIMMMPPPSSOOOOONNNNNSSSSS...now get the hell outta moes

October 4, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Guest

Why dont they just do what southpark did with Issac Hayes on the last chef episode?

October 4, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Guest

I really like this show,I wouldnt want to see it go.

That said,8 million for 22 weeks of work is a lot of money.4 million is still a lot.They should suck it up.

October 4, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  44. bart simpson

I hope voice actors/actresses can reach agreement with studio.

I have been a big fan of the show since 90's There are some show i would not watch. However, there are some I would not watch mind watching more than 100 times. I don't agree that the episode in't good after 12th season. I remember I went to Simpsons web site, and Fox asked us to choose the 20 best shows. The ones I chose are mostly produced in the past few years. Of course, there are lots terrible ones that are produce in the past few years.

Simpson has to be creative orit will lose its audiece. Do voice actors/actresses deserve less pay cut? i don't know. I love everyone voice. Does Fox dare to change the voice?

I used to watch Simpson religiously. Not anymore. In LA, fox does not show at 7:30, so I can't watch. it still shows around 6:30pm and 11pm. I am not home 6:30pm and 11pm is about the time I go to sleep. Does Fox want to cut the cord on Simpsons? I hope not.

I will miss Simpsons if that happens. I need to find another show to occupy my mind.. Simpsons has been with me for along time. I hate to see it goes away. I also hate see the quality show gets bored that I wlll change the channel

October 4, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  45. moe sizlack

Do they still show the opening credits rolling 20 minutes into the show? Boringggg. And a Simpson fan from day 1 when it was on the Uma Therman Variety Hour. Or Tracy Ulman. Futurama was quaint. The Simpsons movie plain SUCKED. Who ever heard of Homer and Bart working together on anything? The father son moment of the film 5 minutes in sealed the deal for me. Lisa...with her morality high horse? Marge hiding in the shadows like a spider?? The show is stale. Funny now and then, but not enough to keep my interest.

And the voice actors are trying to keep the gravy train going??? Guess what idiots! ANYONE can do the voices! Hire an Indian for authentic accent. Hire a slushed bum for Barney. Get real. You speak into a microphone and have made MILLIONS talking like an idiot. The writers of the show don't make NEARLY as much, and they are the ones who come up with the jokes. Get the eff out of Hollywood, SImpsons. Your day in the sun is OVAH!!!

October 4, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Mr E

Are these wealthy, overpaid voice actors paying their fair share of taxes?? Quick, someone alert the "Occupy Wall Street" crowd. MAKE THE RICH PAY, DUDE!!!

October 4, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  47. fernando

fair or unfair, is hard to feel sorry for people making 4 million bucks even if they have to split...

October 4, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Eric

GREEDY!!!!!!!!!!!! Going to ruin a classic show. But the actors should be paid appropriatley for their work. I would love to have 4 million dollars. Apparently they want the gold house instead of the silver.

October 4, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  49. NOT MY CHAIR

how come ya never see CEO's being told they need to take a pay cut?

October 4, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bucky

Not here to protect the rich which is a stance I rarely ever take if ever but CEO's get cut all the time. They don't get pay cuts no, they just get removed. If the Board of the corporation isn't happy they simply make a change and it happens more than you think. My company just made a move and I have seen it in every company I have been a part of except one.

October 4, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Bucky

Huge fan of The Simpsons, still watch them on syndication every day and usually twice a day. The series has dropped hugely in the last 10 years and I sort of wish they would stop.

October 4, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • bart simpson

I don't agree on that. Many shows are the best in the past 10 years. I like Simpsons' Political Satire. The evolution vs creation was funny. However, the show about subprime was terrible. I do agree many of terrible series happen in the past 10 years. For example, last Sunday was not a terrible one, but it was not a good one that I would love to watch again

October 4, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  51. David

While I apprecaite everyone's input into the show, the VOICE ACTORS ARE THE SHOW. Writers are hit and miss, and the animation is established; it's the voice actors who put their heart, soul and artistry into it, and breathe life into the show. To shortchange them is absurd. Give them what they want and keep producing one of the greatest shows in human history. And let's celebrate these PROFESSIONAL voice actors who are truly incredible, and stop hiring rediculous celebrities to voice animated movies. Harry Sherer and Billy West could voice every single character in every single Hollywood animated picture. Let the artists to the jobs, and let the celebrities stick to what they do best – acting on the screen.

October 4, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Gbird

45% pay cut? What, do they need the money for Rupert's defense fund?

October 4, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Barry G.

–Dhoop!

October 4, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  54. BlackDynamite

The studio is being greedy, as per usual.
    They didn't have a problem making 23 years of cartoons.
    NOW they can't afford it?
    BD

October 4, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bucky

Actually the voices just got a bunch more money out of the Studio a couple of years ago. The show isn't as popular as it once was and isn't generating the revenue it once did. I love the show but it isn't what it used to be and it isn't as popular.

October 4, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  55. HockeyMinny

Ok... let me get this straight, many of the posts seem to say that there should be a limit to the voice actors terms... right? So why don't we do that with our political leaders... 'nuff said. Go Homer!!!

October 4, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  56. HoMeR

DOH!

October 4, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  57. grown man

doo doo.

October 4, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Martin

They would still be making over 4 million a year for voice work in a crappy economy. Not to mention that its much easier to go to a nice cosy studio and record your parts than be on site at an actual television shoot. They should be happy they can still get that much for such an easy gig. Especially given the many millions they have all already pulled out of the show.

October 4, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  59. KWoz

The first eight seasons of The Simpsons make it the greatest show of all time, in my humble opinion. That being said, the show is long past its prime. The Simpsons used to have heart, but now it's just plain goofy and trite without being particularly amusing. I'll stick to watching Futurama and Archer.

October 4, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Mitch

Please, it will all work out...

October 4, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  61. lolnotcelebs

"around $8 million annually for 22 weeks' worth of work"
    These voice actors are not celebs making these crazy demands. Let them find other voice actors who will work for half. Selfish, greedy, they should be happy for what they have.

October 4, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bart Simpson

It is hard to say whether it is just to pay those people that kind of money.
      It is same thing with athletic and actors/actresses

I don't think that many people can't do it. Remember each vocie actors voice different personality. They have different tones to indicate different personalities.

Some voice actors from other countries may be able to acoomplish that with1/100 of salary. This goes true for the actors/actresses

October 4, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Brandon

Yeah, I could see myself getting pretty upset if I wasn't banking 5+ mil... Greedy "actors" ~ greedier studios ~ greediest [enter your political alignment here].

The Simpsons is still alright ~ but ten years past expiration. Let it die.
    LongLiveFuturama!!

October 4, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Simpsons is a important show of a generation

This show better stay on air. Fox's Animation Domination needs something normal and heartfelt to combat all the toliet humor and wasted time filled with prolonged use of music numbers/old movies that Seth MacFarlane uses in his shows. I'll rather see them cancel Family Guy and Cleveland Show, both of which have been unfunny as well for several seasons.

October 4, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • MS

That's not fair. The Cleavland Show was never funny.

October 4, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bart Simpson

Of course, the show has to be go on provides that the studio keeps feeding funny stories.
      let's hope both sides reach agreement. Let's hope they keep innovating the story lines

October 4, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  64. bill

Maybe they could goto work for seth macfalene

October 4, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • MS

If what I heard is true I think most of the people behind the Simpsons would rather be unemployed.

October 4, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  65. cutsbothways

If the Fox executives take a 45% pay cut, then the actors will too. Fat chance that will happen.

October 4, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Tyler

I hope they can come to some agreement. The Simpsons has come back to what it used to be (as far as quality), and I've fallen back in love with the show the last several years. Those who harp on it mostly have not been watching it lately.
    Also, I don't think any of us can take sides on this. Calling the companies greedy isn't fair, as they cannot keep running a show if they can't make money off it, and saying the actors make too much isn't fair either. I just hope they sort it out.

October 4, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • JT

I agree completely. I was a big fan of the show up until about 8-9 years ago when I simply stopped watching TV at that time slot. I saw Sunday's episode and found myself laughing the entire time. I loved when Grandpa made a joke about Stephen Colbert... it's stuff like that I can appreciate that other people are complaining about, saying it seems canned or trite. Well so did "Doh" and "Ay Carumba" but they are still funny!

October 5, 2011 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  67. MS

This is just like several years ago when Fox threatened to recast all of the main characters. The fan backlash was so great that they backed off. I give them a few months of posturing before they reach an agreement

October 4, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Bo

I can do a perfect Apu. I'll glady take that $4 million.

October 4, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • MS

The guy who voices Apu voices 20+ other characters. Unless you can do them all perfectly I doubt Fox is interested.

October 4, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Joe

Bottom line then is if the show goes off it's because everybody was too damned greedy.

October 4, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  70. KindaSorta

I agree with whackagewea, nooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

October 4, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  71. RichWW2

I love the simpsons and hopes it goes as long as it can. That being said, I have not seen a new episode of simpsons in years. Just no time to watch on sunday with football, and the dvr is already packed with other shows, so the simpsons gets the boot sadly. Duffman will always be my hero though!

October 4, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • DuffMan

DuffMan loves football, too... OH YEAH!!

October 4, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • CalgarySandy

I agree. I want them to last a long time as it is one of the few really intelligent shows that is not based on violence or stupid people living disgusting lifestyles in front of a camera. Every season there are new ones and, like every other show, they repeat a few times through the season. If you are watching the ones in syndication they you will only see the ones made before the most current season. There are very few of them that I cannot watch over and over. Its a bed time story kind of thing and I continue to see more things that I have missed no matter how often when view it. It is so dense and presented on so many levels that I can see watching reruns for the rest of my life. Those who no longer watch it and want it removed so that no one can continue to enjoy it are the typical dog in a manger types who likely never did get the depth in the show.

October 4, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • get off the internet

CalgarySandy – your assertion that it's intelligent tv tells me plenty about you. This crap should have been cancelled about 10 years ago, you ignorant s1ut. Stop watching it long enough to take your meds.

October 5, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • darkside

Dense? presented on many levels? I think you're talking more about the fat on your a$$ than some show.

October 5, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Doomguy

Wow this is still on the air? LOL.

October 4, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Nixo

give them what they want stop being STINGY!!! THE SIMPSONS IS AN AMERICAN CLASSIC...i love how maggie looks like a baby in this picture & FOX...STOP REPEATING THE SAME EPISODES EVERY NIGHT u would think with the 20+seasons it has you could use a diff episode every night!!!!!

October 4, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Sara Bean

I'm tired of the Simpsons...honestly, after 20 years, it's time to go. I don't know anyone who still watches it.

Halt the Simpsons and have Fox allocate the money to give us one more dynamite season of 24

October 4, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • CalgarySandy

Just what we need: Another emotion twisting piece of violence and mayhem! There are too many of these shows as it is. People who prefer to change it up by watching some benign and funny shows instead of having their adrenaline continually cranked should also be allowed to enjoy TV. Adrenaline is bad for the body if you do not burn it off very quickly. The brain does not know the difference between adrenaline from real fear or anger from fiction. As you want more of this cr@p you likely enjoy the adrenaline and look for more and more of it. It can be habit forming. Your body will turn it into Cortisol if you don't get rid of it through some sort of physical exercise. Cortisol is toxic to many parts of the body. As you want to force your tastes on the rest of us, I actually do not care much if you have a heart attack or are crippled by a stroke. I won't try to take away your access to violence, bullying and testosterone fuelled fun if you leave my quieter pleasures alone. Why do you hate democracy?

October 4, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • moose

CalgarySandy...... you are a quack. wow.

October 5, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • @CalgarySandy

Gotham has the bat signal...apparently this part of the internet has a 'crazy wh0re' signal.

October 5, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Nick

Do the actors get any money on character items that don't have their voice(dolls, comics, etc.)?

October 4, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  76. whackagewea

nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

October 4, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  77. HOW DO I TURN CAPLOCK OFF?

Why does some moron have to start talking about liberals in every internet thread known to man? I politically agree with some of what the Tea Partiers have to say, but their ranks are filled with such a huge number of idiots that I wind up continually rethinking it.

October 4, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Libertariat

Don't. As the only small-government movement with any steam, it's still worthwhile to support parts of it. Even if the religious nut jobs and Rush Limbaugh Kool-Aid drinkers make it look bad.

October 4, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • agreed

The messengers are so terrible and divisive, it is hard to associate there. If I just read about it, it looks better, but then I see things like this page and TP drops another point.

October 4, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Come on. The Tea Party isn't the only political group to have morons as members. They just get more play in the media because they are SOOOO much more entertaining than a reasonable person who can think.

October 4, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  78. cat juggler

fox is looking for a way out of simpsons, too many bare butt Bart's

October 4, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • lisasimpson

Ummm, why are you juggling cats? I'm sure the ASPCA wants to know why too.

October 5, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Alex

Greedy companies. How can you cut someones pay that much. I understand they are rich and all, but 45%. Should have not paid them that much to begin with. Hard to take away what you allready promised.

October 4, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • CalgarySandy

One word: FOX.

October 4, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • He Who Points Out The Obvious To The Inane

The show has declined in popularity. This means the profits have declined. At some point, it will make less money than would a moderately performing newer show with actors who work for less.

Kinda silly to blame "greed" in this case. But you obviously didn't think it through very well.

October 4, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • cwestions

I completely agree. It's sad that voice actors make that much to begin with, but I suppose we have only our previously inflated economic aspirations to blame for the current debacle.

What's sadder is the fact that FOX agrees to cutting FORTY FIVE PERCENT of salaries of those making 8 million a year, but don't bat an eye when they make the conscious choice to display all the talking republican heads touting how Obama's on a path to class warfare when he proposes we tax the rich (not for any greedy reason, but to help the poor). What a hypocrisy!

October 4, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Chris

They've been doing the voices for along time...I think they should pay them what they got the year before. They did this to Opie and Anthony

October 4, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  81. John

People still watch this show? I thought it died a long time ago.

October 4, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  82. John B

Why should VOICE actor get a piece of lunchboxes, t-shirts, posters, action figures, etc.? I can understand DVD's and syndication, but they didn't lend their voices to a lunchbox.

October 4, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kav

It's the "voices" that garnered the popularity for the show, which, from said popularity, gave people the urge to buy said lunch boxes, toys, shirts ...etc

October 4, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • lisasimpson

Well, if there weren't any actors to play the Simpsons do you think there would be any lunchboxes?

October 5, 2011 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  83. BUFFALO

Sadly, I have to agree with the other people here. Proud to say I was there at the beginning and had to convince friends to watch it. Now it's just a shell of it's former self. and "jumped the shark" long ago. Let it die a dignified death.

October 4, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • CalgarySandy

I will never understand why people comment on things that do not affect their lives and do not interest them. If there are still enough people watching for it to be worth while then it is worth while to them. You are irrelevant. My son and I have been watching since the beginning when he was quite young. Now he is an adult and it is still a fun thing to share as a family.

October 4, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • ThsIsNotReal22

@CalgarySandy Obviously there are not still enough people watching it or they wouldn't be having trouble paying the actors.

October 4, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Buzzwoman

@CalgarySandy If not watching the Simpson's is going to affect your life, wow, that's just sad. I like the show and it is funny, but I will survive. You need perspective man.

October 4, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • BUFFALO

@CalgarySandy: Then you and your son haven't figured out how lame and out of date you are. But then your screen name makes that pretty clear.

October 4, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Anomic Office Drone

Good riddance. I'm a lifelong Simpsons fan, but the movie should have come out like 8 years earlier and served as the series finale.

October 4, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  85. CHEEFSFURY

THE SHOW NEEDS TO BE PUT OUT TO PASTURE ITS WAY PAST ITS PRIME

October 4, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • CalgarySandy

As you are not a fan and do not watch it your opinion is irrelevant. This story is only of concern to people who do watch it. I feel sorry for you. Are you one of those people who hates everything that is popular just on principle?

October 4, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • TorontoBee

Sandy where did he write he isn't a fan? I am a fan, a huge fan but there is a huge group of fans that believe the show hasn't been good since the 12th season. Check of Dead Homers Society and try to tell me its not made by fans.

October 4, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

I think the reference was because of the lame, uninspired response the poster gave. Unlike yours that was actually thought out. Are you the other person that comes to the defense of people you don't know for no reason?

I too know many like you who are in the "When the Simpsons used to be good" camp. Generally, you're thirty-somethings that have that feeling about most anything that has outlasted the 10 prime years of your life. Maybe you can stop and realize there are just as many "new" fans that think those old episodes suck (not me, I personally agree with you totally... but it not my show or my decision to make).

I would more wonder why someone who spends 22 weeks working (4 and a half months) and is still looking at making 4 million dollars isn't happy about it? I know their current contract has been in place for more than ten years. So, these actors have made 80 million + each in the past 10 years. Do you think they are hurting for more?

Sounds like boss envy to me.

October 4, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Max in NY

100% true.

@sandy- dude you need to get a grip. Don't take things so personally

October 4, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

CalgarySandy, the show really is past it's prime. I've been a fan since 1989-1990 and noticed a sharp decline in the show's quality circa 2000. General consensus is that the best seasons are in the single digits. After I read that (from numerous reviews on the season DVDs), I discovered that season 11 was between 1999-2000, around the time I stopped watching because the quality became so bad. So I believe the single digit rule of thumb holds true.

The show is a paradox. It is both completely out of ideas and it is a show that will never run out of ideas. To clarify, it is out of original ideas, but will never run out of ideas because episodes have generally turned into satire of current events and whoever is the celebrity of the week. Rarely do we see a plot without a pointless celebrity cameo. Rarely do we see a plot without some reference to Wikipedia or something like that (easy to poke fun of in current society). Yes, the Simpsons has always commented on society, but not in such a direct, almost "product placement" way.

October 4, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Garrett

I agree, I've been watching this since I was a child when it started, the old days were indeed vibrant, but I hope this kills the show off, it's dead inside and needs to move over for new blood.

October 4, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joshua

I would have to agree with Matt. "I would more wonder why someone who spends 22 weeks working (4 and a half months) and is still looking at making 4 million dollars isn't happy about it?"

seriously... These actors have gotten a little full of themselves. Sad really.

October 5, 2011 at 2:00 am | Report abuse |
  86. one of the other trolls

First to comment, but no lame Firsty. The actors should get a piece of the revenue from all the other stuff.

October 4, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Godfrey

"The actors should get a piece of the revenue from all the other stuff."

Why should a voice actor get points on things like lunch boxes and t-shirts? That should belong to the creators and rights holders.

October 4, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Me

Godfrey I could agree with that excep the rights holders and creators are not taking pay cuts according to the article. This could be the end of the simpsons if not resolved, you can not replace the voice actors 23 seasons into the show.

October 4, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vesstair

"... including revenue from syndication and branded items, like lunchboxes, DVDs and clothing."

Why SHOULDN'T voice actors get a cut of DVDs and syndication profits?

October 4, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • doug

The simpsons got stale and lame over a decade ago. Good riddance.

October 4, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • The_Mick

Those asking why the actors should get a piece of the lunch boxes, etc: if it wasn't for the actors' abilities to make the characters memorable, who'd be buying the lunch boxes, etc?

October 4, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Johnny Cage

Honestly, the show has its ups and downs, but often more ups than downs. It did get stale a decade ago, but then it cambe back with some really damn funny episodes. I really think if the series has lasted this long, its popularity proves the show is still relevant in todays society. This is why sharing the huge profits FOX makes on merchandise in return for a 30% pay cut is totally worth it to both FOX and the voice actors. After all, without the voice actors, the shoulw would end and all profits would cease to exist.

October 4, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rich

I think the response from the voice actors was quite fair. They're willing to take a cut in return for a slice of future profits, and that seems like a good deal. The network would be foolish to not cut a deal the actors can live with as long as it continues to make money. Any loss of ad revenue they may be experiencing now will likely bounce back in the future and they'll have the syndication of an immense volume of episodes, and can extend that further. Why gamble on a new show that will very possibly fail like so many others have lately?

October 5, 2011 at 2:08 am | Report abuse |
    • RC

If the voice actors are wanting a cut of profits when things are going well, are they willing to cover their share of lesses if/when the Simpsons start losing money? Didnt think so.

THey were hired voice actors for a cartoon series. It became the biggest tv show in history. Take your 4 to 8 million a year for easy work, and enjoy your retirement.

October 5, 2011 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  87. Liberal? Doh!

Seriously? Did you just post that in response to a story about the Simpsons? Watch out, the liberal sheep will get you! Its a conspiracy! The Simpsons are brain-washing our kids to like people with yellow skin! Ah!! If your going to reply, dont bother, I wont be back to read it. Save your self some time, and go complain about how Liberal popcorn is.

October 4, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Ian

Right-wing conservative tripe observation. Your kind is NEVER missed.

October 4, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Dean Stelmach

Is "liberal" the only epithet that they teach you Dittoheads? You all understand that to disagree with this dufus makes you one too in his 2 dimensional world. Does it hurt to be so stupid? I'd be sympathetic if I knew every time you tried to think it hurt your little head. Fight on Man of La Mancha. The windmills are gonna get you.

October 4, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Drito

Observer you're everything that's wrong with America.

October 4, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Just0r

Observer, you make the extact same comment on every story "More liberal tripe" do you have like a word a year calendar and really want to get your use out of 'tripe'. In any case, your a mouth breather. Technology ruined the Simpsons since thats a majority of the references they make now a days, but its still a solid show. Maybe Fox should pull some cash out of the stupid singing shows they shovel down our throats and pay a little respect to one of the Television shows that actually MADE the network.

October 4, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Matt

Now as a special treat courtesy of our friends at the Meat Council, please help yourself to this tripe.
    [Class cheers and runs to table loaded with tripe.]

October 4, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |