What's the verdict: Melissa McCarthy on 'SNL'
October 3rd, 2011

What's the verdict: Melissa McCarthy on 'SNL'

Could Linda be the new Pete Schweddy?

One week after Alec Baldwin made “Saturday Night Live” history – having hosted the program 16 times – Melissa McCarthy made her debut on the long-running sketch comedy show.

The Emmy-winning actress, who sported a perm and Spock sweatshirt as ranch dressing-lover Linda, has been praised for her no-holds-barred performance.

Even musical guest Lady Antebellum, who made their “SNL” debut with McCarthy, tweeted: “The ranch dressing and office skit will go down in ‘SNL’ history. Melissa McCarthy was genius.”

In the office skit, the 41-year-old actress played a more exaggerated version of her unabashed “Bridesmaids” character. Arlene, an office worker who sexually assaults her coworker (Jason Sudeikis) - and a balloon horse - definitely won over viewers.

“Bridesmaids” producer Judd Apatow tweeted: “I think Melissa McCarthy in the office with the balloons on ‘SNL’ made me laugh harder than anything this year or decade."

Fellow comedic actress Christina Applegate also had kind words for the first-time host: “Melissa McCarthy was pure bliss hosting SNL last night. Way to go lady!!”

And Entertainment Weekly agreed: “McCarthy’s absence during the Rock sketch, Lady Antebellum, and Weekend Update was felt, wasn’t it?”

So what’s next for one of the busiest actresses in showbiz?

In addition to co-writing and co-executive producing a multi-camera comedy for CBS, she and “Bridesmaids” co-writer Annie Mumolo sold a script to Paramount, and she’s been cast opposite Jason Bateman in “ID Theft.”

But there’s more:

McCarthy is also working on a retail line for plus-size women.

“Trying to find stuff that's still fashion-forward in my size is damn near impossible,” she told The Hollywood Reporter. “It's either for like a 98-year-old woman or a 14-year-old hooker, and there is nothing in the middle.”

The actress, who studied clothing and textiles at Southern Illinois University, according to THR, designed her Emmy dress with dressmaker Daniella Pearl.

"I drew up some different things, I had some old tear sheets from some vintage stuff that I love," McCarthy told CNN on Emmys night of her purple gown. "I worked with a vintage dressmaker and came up with this. It’s pretty much what I drew out and I love it."

1. Peter

Magnificent beat ! I would like to apprentice even as you amend your site, how can i subscribe for a blog website? The account aided me a appropriate deal. I have been tiny bit familiar of this your broadcast offered bright clear idea

October 30, 2012 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  2. earn a living online, dollars marketplace place,E Marketing,key terms,posting marketing and advertising,SEARCH ENGINE MARKETING,Investigation motor optimization Email markting Complete

Hi, Neat post. There is a problem along with your web site in web explorer, could check this? IE nonetheless is the marketplace leader and a large component of folks will miss your wonderful writing because of this problem.

September 25, 2012 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Matt

I got to say I didn't find her Melissa McCarthy all that funny. She had a few bright spots, but overall I was just waiting for the skits to end.

I love ranch dressing, but I found the skit to be too close to Kristin Wiig's style and the only part that was somewhat funny to me was when Melissa drenched herself in ranch.

Not sure why I didn't find her funny, but unfortunately I didn't. Though she has no fear in what she does and that's a good thing as a comedienne.

December 4, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Monte

I thought the pieces done by McCarthy were in extremely poor taste and found them pathetic. Not at all funny. The show can do better.

October 8, 2011 at 4:32 am | Report abuse |
  5. Latreca

It doesn't matter how good this chick is...all everyone sees is her weight. It's sad. Why can't they just appreciate how good she is and leave her be.

October 4, 2011 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ryanne

This was THE funniest SNL I've seen since I don't know when. We laughed so hard we were crying!

October 4, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  7. CK

I thought it was the funniest episode in a long-time. Alec Baldwin's premiere last week was not funny at all. Melissa McCarthy's performand was soooo funny...wish I have it on DVR! Awesome!

October 4, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  8. missKerriebaby

Ewww you people are disgusting. Did you learn nothing from the "comment section" sketch??? You're losers!!!! I know it. You know it. MELISSA IS BRILLIANT! Don't be jealous.

October 4, 2011 at 1:51 am | Report abuse |
  9. Sara12

This woman did a great job on SNL last Saturday and it was really funny. Why should it matter to people how much she weighs? She is a good actress and if she wants to open a clothing line for plus-size women she should do it – because it isn't anybody else's business anyway.

October 3, 2011 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Evel Knievel

I thought her show was called "Mike and Moo-ly".

October 3, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. derp

One more sammich' and her head might explode.

October 3, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Rlg

Very funny and exceptionally enjoyable!

October 3, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Rod in Texas

Sounds like a lot of you women are a little jealous that even though she is slightly overweight, she is making millions, and living the life of a famous actress while you are sitting in your little suburban home, cooking dinner for your spoiled rotten kids, and wishing you had some type of escape from your every day life.

October 3, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Rod in Texas

OMG. Some of these comments are insulting. While Melisaa McCarthy is out working, being an actress, winning Emmy's, getting paid lots of money, we have these idiots that are sitting home (most likely in their bedroom of their parents house) and all they can do is talk bad about her. Grow up people! For those of you women out there that are making fun of her weight, just weight until you have your first baby, out of wedlock of course, and you will see how fast you gain weight. Society makes me sick!

October 3, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  15. AL

McCarthy was hilarious in every sketch. Mike & Molly is a terrible show and a waste of her talents. First time in a long while I've laughed thru every sketch on an episode of SNL. Very funny lady.

October 3, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • lilgtogirl

Al you are so right. I think Mike and Molly is horrible for her. They give her none of the personality that we saw on SNL or her years on Gilmore Girls. I hope this is a new way for her to get out of that horrible sitcom and move into something REALLY good.

October 4, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  16. GabbyR

I can describe Melissa McCarthy's appearance on SNL in one word...BRILLIANT....I have never seen her sitcom, but, I am on board now. For all of you weight bashers...GROW UP!!!

October 3, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Evel Knievel

Why did they run a picture of Rosie O'Donnell with this article?

October 3, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  18. mrskool

KUDOS TO MCCARTHY – GREAT SNL HOST – SHE WAS SUPER FUNNY ! ! ! ! !

October 3, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Prissygirl316

I have to say that some of these comments on Melissa McCarthy's weight are the worst I've ever heard in my life. I'm sure all of you who commented like that are slim, trim, full head of hair and are cover models (NOT). Meg is right "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." You are all a bunch of low class, prejudiced, bigoted people. Her performance was one of the funniest SNL's in recent memory and she should win an Emmy for it.

October 3, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • ArmyofNone

Yay! Thank you, Prissygirl, for posting exactly what I was thinking! I'm ashamed to be part of the same species as some of these posters! I'll bet the only reason they post this stuff is because they're anonymous on here, and if they had to use their real names and locations, you wouldn't see half the ugly, small-minded, judgemental comments!

October 3, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sunnysout

I'm reminded of the sketch on this SNL episode, The Comments Section- I would love to meet any one of you who have commented negatively on this woman. You show a complete lack of respect for yourself. Hide behind your computer screen where you belong, posers.

October 3, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Nerd Rage

Don't you inbreds have anything better to do than to bash a girl for her weight? Probably a better catch than what you can normally get in your sorry lives.

October 3, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Peace

Hi Ted! I remember that show. Every break had the "Get a piece of the rock" commercial. LOL, blast from the past!

October 3, 2011 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  22. Evel Knievel

Her loving Ranch dressing is art imitating life.

October 3, 2011 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
    • margaret

Melissa is very heavy handed and just loves to throw her weight around.

October 4, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  23. tracie

THERE AIN'T NOTHING WRONG WITH A WOMAN IN FAT HEELS AND STANKY SOCKS

October 3, 2011 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  24. Meg

Wow! Someone must have peed in your cornflakes this morning- some words come to mind- Ignorant, Idiot I could go on. I guess you were never taught "if you can't say something nice............".

October 3, 2011 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  25. Meg

Oh I forgot to ask- Do you have one of those "Smellovisions"? Wow you really are special!

October 3, 2011 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  26. TeeGirl

Wow, you're really something if you could smell her through your television. Where did you get it...Best Buy? She was the funniest thing to happen to SNL in a looonnngg time!

October 3, 2011 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  27. AmyD

Illusive? Perhaps it was you who grew up in the "wild kingdom".

October 3, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Grey Goose

IWeren't you in the "Comments Secton" skit they did. What a jerk you are...too bad you were'nt there to get a punch in the stomach with your fellow losers...

October 3, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  29. Pliny

That was a stupid and boring post.

But you have a long way to go if you hope to be as stupid and boring as Traci.

Keep trying. People like you seem to think that posting the same thing 1000000 times is funny....so continue to waste your life.

October 3, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  30. EM650

Couldn't the same be said for the anorexic twig models? Should we lock all of them up? I am glad that you are not in charge.

October 3, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Rod in Texas

And bigoted idiots like you should not be allowed to reproduce. People like you show that it's ok to be an idiot, to make fun of other people, and to stick your foot in your mouth. How's that beer belly working out for you there?

October 3, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  32. MadCityBabe

omg – some of these posts are HILARIOUS!. Love it!

October 3, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Sunnysout

Thank you Grey Goose- for many things.

October 3, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Turdus Maximus

Pliny loves da doo doo that you do......Bwaaaahahahahaha

October 3, 2011 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |