Claire Danes returns to TV on 'Homeland'
October 3rd, 2011

Claire Danes returns to TV on 'Homeland'

It's been over 16 years since "My So-Called Life" ended, but Claire Danes definitely chose a great series for her return to television.

Sunday night's premiere of the Showtime series "Homeland" starred Danes as Carrie Mathison, a CIA officer who is given information by an Iraqi prisoner that an American P.O.W. has been "turned."

When Marine Sergeant Nicholas Brody returns to the U.S. after being held prisoner there for years, Carrie is immediately suspicious and starts bugging his home.

Of course, things are not as simple as they seem. For a while, Carrie seems to have no evidence whatsoever that Brody is working with al Qaeda, and she also has a history of breaching CIA protocol, not to mention the anti-psychotic medication she takes.

But then she thinks she notices Brody giving signals of some kind with his fingers whenever he is on camera, a discovery which keeps her out of trouble momentarily with her boss, Saul Berenson.

When it's revealed in the final scene that Brody apparently beat one of his fellow Marines to death, it's impossible not to want to see the next episode.

The show also focuses on Brody's home life, especially his relationship with his wife, Jessica, who started a relationship with another man, assuming her husband to be dead.

This first hour was completely gripping from start to finish, and much credit should be given to the rest of the cast, including Damian Lewis as Brody, Mandy Patinkin as Saul and Morena Baccarin as Brody's wife ("V," "Firefly").

So far, I agree with iReporter Kathi Cordsen that "Homeland" is worth watching. For me, this is the best new fall series I've seen, and the fact that it airs after Showtime's popular "Dexter" means it will likely have a successful first season (my only question is, will this mystery about Brody stretch beyond season 1?).

Did you catch this show as well? Share your thoughts on iReport or comment below.

1. productos para el cabello

Heya i'm for the first time here. I found this board and I find It truly helpful & it helped me out much. I hope to give one thing back and help others such as you helped me.

April 17, 2012 at 1:52 am | Report abuse |
  2. Ramon

It's not a 100% replacement, but "Homeland" does represent at least significant consolation for those of us still grieving over the cancellation of the fabulous "Rubicon"–a grossly under-watched show that required some patience on the part of its viewers and was therefore led to an untimely demise after a single season.

October 31, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Tamina

I am a huge Dexter fan and thus was still awake to watch Homeland's premiere. Gripping, intense, smart are a few adjectives that come to mind. I am not a T.V. watcher nor a night person. So, to stay awake until 11PM on a Sunday night to watch a program is nearly miraculous...I eagerly await the unfolding of the rest of the season. And I agree, all of the actors are superb; Claire Danes is under-appreciated as an actress.

October 4, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  4. michaelfury

“47 year old white male detainee died while in US custody. Cause of death: Blunt Force Injuries and Asphyxia; Manner of Death: Homicide. Autopsy revealed deep bruising of the chest wall, numerous displaced rib fractures, bruising on the lungs, hemorrhage into the mesentery of the small and large intestine. Examination of the neck structures revealed hemorrhage into the strap muscles and fractures of the thyroid cartilage and hyoid bone. History of asphyxia, secondary to occlusion of the oral airway. Pleural and pulmonary adhesions. Hypertensive cardiovascular disease. According to report provided by the US army CID, the detainee was shackled to the top of a doorframe with a gag in his mouth at the time he lost consciousness and became pulseless. The severe blunt force injuries, the hanging position, and the obstruction of the oral cavity with a gag contributed to this individual’s death. DOD 00329 refers to this case as “gagged in standing restraint” DOD 003329 refers to this case as “1 blunt force trama and choking; gagged in standing restraint.” DOD 003324 refers to this case with a note indicating “Q[uestioned] by OGA [Other Governmental Agency - non-military, often refers to CIA], gagged in standing restraint.”

October 3, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  5. michaelfury

“There’s a picture of the World Trade Center hanging up by my bed and I keep one in my Kevlar [flak jacket]. Every time I feel sorry for these people I look at that. I think, ‘They hit us at home and, now, it’s our turn.’ I don’t want to say payback but, you know, it’s pretty much payback.”

October 3, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  6. michaelfury

October 3, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  7. T.G. Ropiak

The first episode was well written and acted and draws you right into the story. They let you know enough to keep you interested, but not too much to allow you to "skip" an episode. Everyone does their part very well and the story is cohesive and very believable. You can also go online and watch the first episode on the ShowTime site, at least for now. They do "blur" out some of the wife's better "assets", etc., online! I think that it'll be the next "24", except based more in reality and with less "bizarre" plot twists. Be prepared to be glued to your screen for the full hour. And most of all, enjoy!

October 3, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Michelle Rose

It was excellent. Kirk Acevedo is superb as always, Miss Danes is very, very good at playing a woman wrapped way too tight for her own good, Mandy Patinkin is low-key and very cool as Berenson and Morena Baccarin is– as always–very easy on the eyes. Cracklin' good script and nice, tight editing. This is a good one. Watch it. it'll keep you hanging on.

October 3, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Peace

For anyone, like myself, that missed 1st episode of Homeland, they re-run it several times during the week. Just FYI! :o

October 3, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |