It's all about Amy on 'The Big Bang Theory'
September 30th, 2011

It's all about Amy on 'The Big Bang Theory'

Let's face it, everyone.

Thursday night's episode of "The Big Bang Theory" was owned by Amy Farrah Fowler.

Yes, Sheldon was there, prattling on about toy trains. And it finally dawned on Bernadette that marrying Howard meant living with his mother (I'm guessing these two won't make it down the aisle).

But the moment that Amy insisted on staying at Leonard and Sheldon's apartment, while Leonard was the only person there, her plotline was the only one that really mattered. Practically everything that came out of her mouth from "I'm being a delight here!" to "I have no interest in model trains, stores that sell them, nor their heartbreaking clientele," was screamingly funny.

Really, this entire recap could just be a list of her best one-liners.

Okay, one more: Amy talking about the one signature in her yearbook, which stated, "Dear Amy, self respect and a hymen are better than friends and fun. Love, Mom."

Leonard's wedding non-date with Amy ended badly, from her perspective. She seemed exasperated that her feminine wiles, plus Leonard's loneliness over his long-distance girlfriend, meant that he was falling for her. She planned to e-mail him the next day to say that "this body will never be his wonderland!"

Sheldon let him know that first, though, with three simple words: "Not for you!"

All in all, this was the best episode since last year's "The Love Car Displacement." The Mayim Bialik 2012 Emmy campaign just kicked into high gear.

Did you also find Amy to be "a delight"? Do you have the urge to draw a mustache on your finger? Share your iReport or comment below.

1. Scott

We were talking about this show yesterday at work. This is by far one of the funniest tv shows that I have watched in 20 years. First time I saw it was last month and I was in tears. Great writing and the actors do a great job with their characters.

October 26, 2011 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Tia

If this is the funniest show you've watched in 20 years, you don't watch much television. The Simpsons is funnier and more entertaining then Big Bang Theory, and I would hardly call the Simpsons a great tv show.

October 28, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Pico

This is easily the worst show on television

October 25, 2011 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Izzy

Pico, judging by the junk that seems to be on TV today, you must watch a whole lot of bad shows. I feel for you.

October 26, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Sheila

I love Amy. Throughout all her scenes, you can almost hear her character screaming "I want to be normal but I don't know how!"

October 25, 2011 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  4. MooCow

At first I found Amy irritating. I don't think this character felt natural to Mayim and she tried to force it a bit too much. Over the last season, she managed to find her groove and a place on the show. I am finding the character equally irritating, but in a much more natural way. I enjoyed the episode and look forward to more Amy.

October 24, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  5. JOhn

Amy is the only funny female character on the show. It needs the female counterpart to Sheldon.

I'm not convinced though, that any woman would ever want to marry Howard, especially a woman who's smokin hot and has so many options like Bernadette. The relationship between Bernadette and Howard is so unrealistic even for BBT.

October 20, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Someone

I don't watch the show, but I am glad that Mayim Bialik is getting some recognition – she and Danica McKellar need to get together.....(now THAT would be something).

October 20, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  7. da Guch

I dont understand everyone liking Amy. She is the reason I have gone from fanatical about the show to mildly interested.
    Anyone else feel the same?

October 20, 2011 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
  8. Amy is awesome!

Amy is awesome! She is hysterically funny, especially when she plays the straight man. She and Sheldon play well off each other, and she serves as a great foil to Penny's emotionalism. Her character is logic taken to an extreme, which makes it even funnier! The only problem I have with the female-female interplay is that the producers keep flirting with the idea of a girl-girl scene, but only for shock value – then they pull back and Amy and Bernadette go back to being straight. Either do it or don't do it, but the constant teasing is distracting and a bit annoying.

October 18, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mommasaurus

I agree, this was a great episode. I laugh at Amy's lines almost as much as I do at Sheldon's.

October 17, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Nielsen

The character Amy and the actress have made this show even more delightful. I think if she was on more often she would be recieving an Emmy. Kudos to the casting team that brought her on the show. LOVE the show even more now. It's not an easy part to play but she does it effortlessly. GO AMY

October 17, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Rod in Texas

Is there any talk of Amy Farrah Fowler and Bernadette Something being upgraded from Recurring cast members to permenant cast members. I think her and Bernadette's characters are awesome. I'm confused about Bernadette's character though. At first, I thought she was a scientist, and she was working at the Cheesecake Factory with Penny and now she is a scientist again? Is she both?

October 14, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hawaiikaos

She is putting herself through grad school by working at the Cheesecake Factory.

October 17, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • JTobey

Hawaiikaos already answered this, but what may be confusing is now that it's in syndication the timelines are getting mixed up. In LA they run episodes back to back but they are not sequential. When Bernadette was introduced she was working with Penny while finishing school. She's out of school now and no longer working at the Cheesecake Factory.

October 18, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  12. AL

I do love her character, but Sheldon is GOD!

October 13, 2011 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Carlos

Amy is a scream I love her. My favorite was when she quipped "four women walk down the stairs how many make it to the lobby"

October 13, 2011 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  14. cmon_ppl

this show is awful, and those of you who watch/support it should be put out to pasture like the sheep that you are.

cheers,

someone obviously smarter than you

October 7, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Natalie

This may have been the worst attempt to troll ever. Congratulations!

October 17, 2011 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Nielsen

If you don't like it....who cares? Some of us LOVE the show and will continue to support it. You obviously have some issues with good, light humor. Go back into your dark world and screw yourself....hugs and kisses

October 17, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  15. jonce

I agree with the "not a big fan" group. Amy's ok but more often that not she's just annoying.

October 5, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  16. mikec

I like this show. Bernadette reminds me of Georgette in the old Mary Tyler Moore showfrom the 1970's. She has that same soft voice.

October 5, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  17. anapuna

amy is funny as all get out!! yes she plays the dry character and a number of people can't get that. that is the fun though. she plays the straight man bit hard core at times, biut that it was is called for here. TBBT is one of the few shows if not the one show where this extreme works so well.

so get off your high horse folks and if you want comedies where there is only one dry character watch CHEERS again.

October 4, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Steven

It's awesome because it's Blossom. 7 or 8 major characters is perfect for an ensemble caste. Yes, there is a world outside just the 4 guys.

October 4, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hawaiikaos

Any good story shows a progression or transformation of the main characters, and Amy is the catalyst of change for Sheldon, Bernadette for Howard, and Penny for Leonard (and vice versa). I don't think the show runners have figured out what to do with Raj, but that in itself could act to show how far the other characters have changed (though a little sad for Raj).

October 17, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Nathan

I am afraid this show has jumped-the-shark. Amy Farrah Fowler is mildly amusing, but she is in the show way to often. This show started off as basically two guys and a girl. Howard and Raj have always been regularly included and really made the show four guys and a girl. Now with Leonard, Sheldon, Penny, Howard, Raj, Bernadette & Amy Farrah Fowler, there is too much going on to ever really get the main players involved. I hope she gets written out of the show to some extent.

October 4, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  20. NotRichard

She's extremely funny to anyone that knows the science community. Even funnier when you consider SHE WAS BLOSSOM in the 90's and received a doctorate in neurobiology in 2004.

October 3, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Darin

The character of Amy is not very funny. After last year's focus on relationship drivel, I was made to believe that this year would focus more on the guys and their nerdy science routines. This has been one of the worst episodes I have seen to date. Let's just hope it improves from last week soon.

October 3, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Love-The Big Bang

I thing Amy is a great addition to the show. She was "awesome" on this past episode. I like that the writers have incorporated more women so that Penny's character had other women to bond with like the male characters. I didn't care for the character who became Leonard's love interest this past season, glad to see her go! I can't even remember her name that is how much I disliked the character. All in All a great cast this time around! Keep it up!

October 3, 2011 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  23. Denise

Amy is the delight of the show!!! She makes it better for every moment she's on screen. LOVE HER! Best addition to an existing show, maybe ever!

October 2, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Sammie

Women are as funny as men, and I think the women playing Amy and Bernadette prove the point. They are just as funny as their fellow castmates.
    Another funny female actress is Katherine Parkinson from the IT Crowd. A very funny show!

October 2, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  25. PDA

Amy makes me wish Blossom was still on the air. Not because of the show but then she wouldnt be ruining TBBT.

October 2, 2011 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  26. MoonDancer

@mejazzbo – America will always be the best, you whining socialist stooge. I fart in your general direction! you are just jealous because your country is run so well you have to stand in line for toilet paper!

October 2, 2011 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  27. Jen

I've been a big fan of Amy since they had the girls slumber party last season. I haven't laughed that hard at a sitcom in years. I've been a big fan since.

October 2, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  28. Samuel

This was a breakout episode for Amy Farrah Fowler. As a character she developed more in this episode than any previous episodes (with the possible exception of "Getting Drunk with Penny" episode). No date for the prom but two for this wedding! Amy (and outstanding writing) are here to stay. And Bernadette morphing into Howard Mother was was the icing on the cake.

October 2, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  29. Russell

Amy is funniest when she's NOT trying to be funny, she's more Sheldon than Sheldon! While there were some good moments, the times when she broke from her typical characterization seemed forced. Love the character and MB is doing s fantastic job of it, but less is more.

October 2, 2011 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  30. Marilynn Higgins

LOVE both Amy and Bernadette. I think the storylines with the women have added so much to the show – can only watch so much of Leonard whinning! Glad his girlfriend left for India – I did not like her!

October 2, 2011 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
  31. Kenny

Yep, this was a great episode for the Amy character. I hope we continue seeing more use of Mayim's talent – she's very funny!

October 1, 2011 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Nin

Amy Farrah Fowler totally stole this episode! she even said it herself: "You may have not noticed, but I'm being a delight here" Best episode in a long time for TBBT and it is all thanks to Amy Farrah Fowler, the best show stealer ever! (remember, she was suposed to guest star for a couple of episodes and ended up being a regular cast member.. she is THAT AWESOME!!)

October 1, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  33. dawn01

see that http://www.SUPERSONIC.US.COM

October 1, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Brax

This episode is right up there with "smoking monkey" ...

October 1, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Nicolette

I'm an Afrocenrtric from the Village and I just love those geeks especially Sheldon.

October 1, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Roger S.

2 words-–CHICKEN DANCE!

October 1, 2011 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  37. Adrianne

I agree with a lot of the comments above. Amy can only be taken in small doses. Bernadette has become the interesting character. Jim Parsons needs more air time.

October 1, 2011 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  38. katie

This week's episode was hysterical. I did not start watching the series until Fall of 09 and have not missed an episode since.

October 1, 2011 at 5:39 am | Report abuse |
  39. christopher

Get rid of Amy. BRING BACK LESLIE WINKLE!!!

October 1, 2011 at 2:27 am | Report abuse |
  40. suzangrace

'bernadette' did a wonderful job as she imitated howard's mother! excellent casting on this show. howard and bernadette will not make it down the aisle until howard GROWS UP fast! love the show
    !

September 30, 2011 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • JBeans

Oh my heck, when Bernadette imitated Mrs. Wolowitz (sp?) I almost fell off the couch laughing. Good call!

October 19, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  41. suzangrace

i love her on this show! she is so great. this episode really showed off her talent. more amy, please!!!!

September 30, 2011 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  42. ncflynhi

LOVED IT!!! I think the part she plays is great....but Sheldon is still the man! I think Leonard is wonderful too.

September 30, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  43. J

Love her! I think she is great and the episode was hysterical. But I am interested to see what she meant be calling Sheldon her "kindasorta boyfriend" and Sheldon becoming so angry with Leonard and insisting "Not for you." I gotta wonder what the season will hold for those two.

September 30, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Eric

I don't have a problem with her, but no I'm not a big fan of this character. I can only handle her in very small doses.

September 30, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joytstick

yes, humor for the non-comedic minds, can only be taken in small doses...

September 30, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Richard

John Cleese was right. Women are generally not funny. The number of really funny female comedians are few and far between. Men are different. They are natural clowns, they take themselves less seriously, they behave less seriously and as comedians, they do a better job. This does not serve them well in some parts of life, but in comedy, it works.

October 2, 2011 at 3:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Nielsen

Amy's great and maybe you can't handle alot of things. Doesn't mean the issue is with the acting or the show but probably YOU

October 17, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Joytstick

EPIC FAIL.....

September 30, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  46. ouch

Acording to the time stamp, you were indeed first. To bad an admin somewhere has a wicked sense of humor.

October 12, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  47. partpooper

@ouch- sorry but time stamp says NO, it was eric.

October 14, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |