Ashton Kutcher plugs tech companies on 'Men'
September 29th, 2011

Ashton Kutcher plugs tech companies on 'Men'

Ashton Kutcher may be in some hot water.

The actor promoted several Internet ventures (that he personally invests in) during Monday’s episode of “Two and a Half Men.” According to the Hollywood Reporter, CBS is not taking action.

Ashton, 33, provided free publicity on CBS using his character’s laptop, decorated in stickers touting Foursquare, Flipboard, Hipmunk, GroupMe and Chegg. His character, Walden Schmidt, is an Internet billionaire, but still…

A spokesperson for CBS shot down reports that the network would be blurring the stickers in future episodes. The rep tells THR that CBS is not seeking financial compensation for the plugs, and notes that it is the network’s policy to disclose any financial interests at the end of the broadcast.

“Check out @aplusk showing some @foursquare & @GroupMe laptop-sticker love on Two & a Half Men,” tweeted Foursquare CEO Dennis Crowley of the show, which reached 20 million viewers.

In August, The New York Times reported that Ashton could be investigated by the feds for using his guest-editing stint with “Details” to plug Internet companies without disclosing his financial ties to tech startups like Foursquare, Flipboard and Airbnb.

“If you’re out there promoting individual products that you have a specific investment in, it needs to be disclosed,” said a rep for the Federal Trade Commission at the time.

The actor’s love for social media may be hurting his personal life, as well. A lack of Twitter activity from the usually prolific Ashton and wife Demi Moore (who were suspiciously silent on their recent anniversary) adds to allegations of marital trouble.

Tabloid reports of infidelity gained steam after Moore tweeted a philosophical quote about anger.

Yesterday, Ashton tweeted a link to the Public Enemy song “Don’t Believe the Hype.” What do you think about Ashton and his shenanigans?

1. Anne

Charlie Charlie he is our man. Aston is a squid

September 30, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  2. kat

Fire Ashton, bring back Charlie. Rose could have looked Charlie in a basement somewhere and lied that he fell in front of a train. I want Charlie back....

September 30, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Vinman

I watched the first new episode myself, and about half of the second one, but won't be returning. The whole dynamic between Charlie and Alan and his mom and Berta is gone – that's what made the show as funny as it was. Now it's the Ashton Kutcher show, and the writing's amazingly pedestrian.

September 30, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Ashton is HOT

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmv2Rqm5poE&w=640&h=390]

September 30, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Hot for George Clooney

To DEMI: get over this immature greace ball....don't care how young he is. He stands no chance when George Clooney enters the room: handsome, hot, classy and savvy....did I mention HOT!

Can't stand young guys and I'm 25 years old.....kids.

September 30, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Uncle Fetus

Ashton loves Demis hard rod in his mouth.

September 30, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  7. CSCI132

Oh well, did not catch the show as it is not gonna be the same so I am not going to watch it anymore. I am sure the network was aware of this and got some money out of it.

September 30, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Average Joe

Two words for Ashton Kutcher: Hipster dufus.

September 30, 2011 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  9. upstate-ny

I didn't catch any of the advertising. However if I did, I wouldn't have known or cared that he was an investor. This goes under the "who cares" column.

September 30, 2011 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  10. upstate-ny

I didn't catch any of that advertising and even if I did, I wouldn't have known or cared that Ashton Kutcher was an investor. This goes under the "who cares" file.

September 30, 2011 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  11. kay T

I agree with everyone else. He sould serve a few years in jail. His criminal activity shouldnt be tollerated.

September 30, 2011 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
  12. MagicAndes

Demi is 2much for this liberal clown.

September 30, 2011 at 7:22 am | Report abuse |
  13. pedro

Im pretty sure UsMarine is one of those dont ask dont tell sweeties. He thinks Ashie is juuuust dreeeeamy.

September 30, 2011 at 7:21 am | Report abuse |
  14. gosh

yeah. i bet marine eats dooodooo toootoooo.

September 30, 2011 at 7:09 am | Report abuse |
  15. Kristin

Im w USMarine..at least hes got some common sense..

September 30, 2011 at 6:42 am | Report abuse |
  16. Sokman

It also didnt change the fact the show is going to crash & burn without Sheen...

September 30, 2011 at 2:16 am | Report abuse |
  17. Sokman

I'm on GroupMe a lot with friends during football, Nascar, and several other sports, so it was kinda neat to see the GroupMe sticker. A bunch of people I know do the Four Square thing. I just dont have the desire to become Mayor of Taco Bell or Walgreen's. Maybe Erotique Boutique, but why settle for mayor when I can be a queen on Cabaret Night... But anyway, it didnt bother me to see him plugging social media whether he has a vested interest or not. I, as most people, promote myself everyday. At work, to my friends, & even at home send out signals constanly to others, most of the time to give a pleaseant of favorable image, or 'selling' ourselves. In return we get rewards. Really no difference.

September 30, 2011 at 2:10 am | Report abuse |
  18. John

Im a 51 yo Dr and love the show! So the kid love fart theory pretty much well, stinks.

September 30, 2011 at 1:32 am | Report abuse |
  19. Leader of the Pack

he drinks ducky's liquid butt

September 30, 2011 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
  20. Picnick

Ashton is a duche.

September 29, 2011 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Canada Rocks

Stupid Americans.

September 29, 2011 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  22. kristin

Who cares? No big deal.

September 29, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  23. gosh

I sure think he could possibly be a DOOOO DOOOOOO HEAD ! A lesbean one.

September 29, 2011 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Anomic Office Drone

Where did he get those clothes.... the toilet store?

September 29, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Rack

He is such a complete clown. What a f&ggot!

September 29, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Joey Boots

I hear this is not the only thing he's been plugging.

September 29, 2011 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Mammy

Both of them need to be crapped on.

September 29, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Observer

Kutcher is a liberal stooge. I give this show one season. If that.
    Self promotion is typical though, for the party of hate.

September 29, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  29. lojenk

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=videoseries&w=640&h=390]

September 29, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Louie

The oldest daughter is the least attractive. He has always said that he loves those kids and Bruce Willis would kill him if he touched them in a wrong way. He is not dumb enough to do that.

September 29, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  31. jessika

I also heard he had a thing with Demi oldest daughter. oh well.

September 29, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  32. martha stewart

PUT HIM IN PRISON !

September 29, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  33. keebler elf

We did have trouble with him eating too much fudge though.

September 29, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  34. keebler elf

We wish he would come back and work in our fudge factory. No one sense him has been such a good worker in the recieving department.

September 29, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  35. ron

It would not surprise me one bit if Demi called it quits with Ashton.

September 29, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  36. truthyyness

Wasnt he having an affair with Demis daughter? There have been alot of rumours floating around about that.

September 29, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Badazz Animal

Blah, blah, blah. Kutcher SUCKS on 2 1/2 men. It's like a Mr.Spock love child found his way to prime time. What is it with that show? First Sheen and now Kutcher. The do big screen and they're OK actors. They come to that show on small screen and the writing blows, which is pathetic considering the writers all went on strike years ago just to get more money so as to write more crap, and the acting sucks.

I watched the premier episode with Kutcher in it. The first time I've made myself sit through 2 1/2. It will be the last. That show can only appeal to little kids who are fond of fart jokes and deprecating humor.

September 29, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Beautiful Vixen

I heard on the radio yesterday that he and Demi are getting divorce. They said that the girl he cheated with wanted so much money to tell the story. Don't know how true it is. I haven't heard anything else on it.

September 29, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Dimea Dozen

All the critics of this latest stint of Kutchers on 2 1/2 , act as if the producers, director and network didn't know about those stickers on the laptop. As if AK could do something of his own accord, with no one on the staff of 2 1/2 the wiser.
    Please!

Kutcher is in everything for the money! Even marrying a top A list actress near old enough to be his mom, with enough plastic surgery to show she was worried she'd look old enough to be his mom. So this isn't news.

September 29, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Lori

He brought in the ratings....Get Over It CBS!!!!

September 29, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • alumette

If the ratings went up, it was curiosity. People wanted to see how the show handled the loss of Charlie and incorporated that freak into it. The death of Charlie was poorly written and poorly handled in my opinion. The new character is again a spoof of himself as Sheen was except this one adds a new twist...a delusion and aloofness that is guaranteed to irritate most viewers. I think the ratings will surely go down as less people watch that show. The cast looked great with Charlie but appears flat with Kutcher. It is nothing short of a let down.

September 30, 2011 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  41. charlene84

He is a fatcat capitalist ruining our country. I bet he might have been involved in the banking collapse too. He needs to serve some serious prison time.

September 29, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  42. jemma

Maybe the FTC will put him in prison where he belongs.

September 29, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • UsMarine

In prison where he belongs? For stickers? Wow get real that's what we need to waste tax dollars to make idiots like you feel safe at night. Sometimes I wonder why I choose to defend a country half full of unintelligent morons. I get it was "plugging" but really? If you believe people deserve time for that then you need to be slapped. There's plenty more things we could put tax dollars to then incarceration of a non relevant crime. Man I can't even put into words how dumb you sound. This is coming from a person who thinks Ashton is a moron. So this isn't me defending him it's me laughing at you.

September 29, 2011 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Steve

I think if he wants to pimp his companies, he needs to be upfront that he is soliciting you for investments into his own pocket, not trying to sucker you.

He could get into serious trouble with the SEC and the FTC for these types of things. Although from what I can tell of him, he seems to not take anything very serious, even that which he should.

September 29, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • alumette

It is a bad omen for the show. People will get sick of the character he plays and the "actor". I can't watch it anymore. Done. It was a poor decision to sign him up. He is not fit to follow in Sheen's footsteps. He simply does not have what it takes.

September 30, 2011 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  44. ASHLEY BANDIE

The need to take him off of Two & Half Men he does nothing for the show at all.

September 29, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • alumette

He is an arrogant, opportunistic and irritating person. He simply annoys me. I cannot stand to watch him in any "acting" he pretends to participate in. He is like a pesky kid that really gets under your skin....the stupid show he had....and all these pranks....Grow up dude.....life is more than pretending to be someone you are not.

September 30, 2011 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
    • @ alumette

"Grow up dude.....life is more than pretending to be someone you are not."

Isn't that what actors do? And by the way, he gets paid a lot for it, so as long as he has that going for him I think he's better off financially.

What are you doing, other than sharing your opinion on a public blog?

I do agree he's a bad fit for the show, but hey... at the end of the day he's making money for being a lousy actor... it's a lot more than we are making even if we are legit at what we do. Money isn't everything, but I doubt he's complaining.

September 30, 2011 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  45. abra cadabra

CBS you have got to trust me on this, Ashton needs a haircut and a shave 99% of women do NOT like his greasy long hair and his hairy discombobulated looking beard he looks Amish ....We like to look at handsome. At least Charlie was boarder line handsome......

September 29, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |