There's a place for us, 'Glee'
September 28th, 2011

There's a place for us, 'Glee'

I am officially back on board this week.

Last week's "Glee" didn't move me at all. This week was as different as night and day.

The kids are putting on a production of "West Side Story," which is absolutely perfect for this crew. Kurt wants to play Tony so badly he can't stand it, but can he pull off the strong masculinity needed for the role?

I love Kurt and all, but he's far from tough. Though he was AMAZING singing Streisand, and for the first time I realized that he really is as big a star as Rachel. It was fitting that he sang "I'm the Greatest Star," 'cause he really is.

Speaking of Rachel, she has determined that she's all but sewn up the role of Maria. The best part of the show was watching her reunite with her birth mother, Shelby, played by Idina Menzel. Their duet of  "Somewhere" was breathtaking.

With Shelby back to serve as the head of a competing show choir in the school (which I totally think means Sugar is going to learn how to sing), that also means Quinn and Puck's baby is in town. So sweet to see Puck desiring to be a part of his daughter's life. Quinn is busy being a bitter skank (no, seriously, the crew she hangs out with now are called The Skanks) and Shelby tells her she can't see the baby until she cleans up her act.

She does, but now she's determined to regain custody of the kid. Just say no Quinn! There is no room on "Glee" for a set of teen parents. Just stick with trying to get back your past glory as a Cheerio. (Sidebar: Sue Sylvester's attempt to use Quinn against the glee club was hilarious, complete with her approach of,  "Will Schuester never did appreciate the tremble of your thin, forgettable alto.")

There was just so much to love about this episode, including the storyline where Brittany helps Kurt run for class president because she believes he is special like a unicorn, only to find her own inner unicorn. Yeah, that sounded crazy, but trust me it worked.

And don't even get me started on why Blaine would be the perfect Tony. When he sang "Something's Coming" I was up out of my seat. Sorry Kurt, but your man is THE man for the job when it comes to that role.

What did you think of this week's  "Glee"? It was better, yes?

Post by:
Filed under: Glee • television • TV recaps

1. Blah

Blah blah blah blah blah g@y this, g@y that, blah, blah blah.

September 28, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Get Real

iz thet ur atemmpt @ humer?

September 28, 2011 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Evel Knievel

Our weekly fudge packer update. A gay guy singing Streisand? That’s inventive. Next you’ll tell me one of them sang Judy Garland songs.

September 28, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  4. 21jax

Lea Michelle singing Somewhere was AMAZING!! OMG where does that voice come from? I've replayed it at least a dozen times today. She's truly phenomenal.

September 28, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  5. JB

I'm ok with the singing, the WSS line, and the political hate against the Arts. However the Asperbergers line needs to diaf or be done correctly.

September 28, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Sean

So happy with last night's episode, I really hope they keep up the good work! I'm so happy Will finally grew a pair and gave Quinn a reality check...so much more respect for him. Also, I'm kind of in love with Puck after he put forth the effort to be in Beth's life. I have to agree that while Kurt is an amazing singer, he can't pull off being masculine at all. I was cracking up the entire time he was doing the Romeo & Juliet bit with Rachel. It'll be interesting to see how he handles Blaine in the role of Tony. Can't wait for next week's ep when they sing "Fix You" by Coldplay!

September 28, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Anomic Office Drone

Do all gay characters have to be depicted as mid-90's stereotypes?

BTW, if this show is ever filmed in 3D people will be ducking and jumping back when that nose comes on screen.

September 28, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Ron

Glee is GooberLicious. I would love to be the GleeFluffBoy.

September 28, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  9. sasha

two things I was happy for this ep. Glad to see Rachel's mom back, although seriously its time we met her Dads. Also happy to see they are not playing Santana as vindictive after she rightley was outset from Glee for sabatoge. Brit and Kurt would be perfect co presidents. I enjoy show songs as much as the next girl but the amount was kind of much and then we never did see mercedes try out...hopefully that would be tied up next week

September 28, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  10. yar

you know they need to get rid of Kirt, to me its a waste of character. I dont like him. He brings nothing to the show. The show is losing me. Why in the world did they get ride of Sam? I usually give a show three episode if they dont entertain me by the 3rd, then i will go onto something else. So far its strike two. Not good, not good.

September 28, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • seriously..

Chord Overstreet quit after the 2nd season..he decided to focus on his music career..

September 28, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  11. tammy

The boy in the purple dress appears to have a very small chubby goin on and the girl in the pink dress appears to be takin a pee.

September 28, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  12. tom

First off, I'm a huge fan of glee and most of the characters- but you can't take Kurt seriously... singing a Streisand song as an audition for a male lead? Whether it's gay, supergay, whatever- it's just off-putting when gender songs are switched. So Glee: Quit beating us over the head with Kurt's effeminicity (I might have just made up that word), and actually surprise us by letting Kurt act like a man.

September 28, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • tom

*off-putting when gender roles in songs are switched

September 28, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Babs M

Kurt ought to realize that if he's auditioning for a manly role, he needs to sing a manly song. And it was interesting to see that while his dad supports his gayness, he won't prop him up with phony pep talks and fluff. He knows Kurt has to deal with the realities of the life he wants to lead.

September 28, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  13. ms t

i kind of liked the episode.

September 28, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  14. LT

Show has become very boring this year. Did they fire their writers or something? Where did the humor go? Where did relatable pop songs go? We aren't all musical theater folks that recognize or appreciate the tunes. One more week and I'll decide if I give up on the show completely. I don't like giving up an hour for something not entertaining.

September 28, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |