Stephen King at work on 'Shining' sequel, 'Dr. Sleep'
September 28th, 2011

Stephen King at work on 'Shining' sequel, 'Dr. Sleep'

There's a sequel to "The Shining," but it's going to come in book form first.

Stephen King, who crafted the novel that was adapted into the (terrifying) 1980 film, read from excerpts of "The Shining's" sequel, "Dr. Sleep," at a recent appearance at George Mason University, Slashfilm reports.

The novel reintroduces "The Shining's" main character, Danny Torrance, as a grown-up. In the sequel, Torrance is now 40, and working in a hospice for the terminally ill in New York. Torrance has special powers though, and will visit the patients as they're about to "cross over" to help them move on without pain.

As King explained to the crowd gathered at GMU, "I've always wondered what happened to the kid."

He went on, "People say to me sometimes, do you keep an idea notebook? And I don't. If you don't keep a notebook a kind of Darwinian process takes place, where the bad ones just go away. The good ones, the important ones, they stick around. I kept wondering, what's going on with Danny Torrance? Where did he go after this terrible experience? And little by little, this story began to form."

He added that it wasn't finished yet, but he was able to read a bit of the excerpt and gave a teensy bit of description.

"I knew that there were bad people in this story that were like vampires, only that what they sucked out was not blood but psychic energy from special people like Danny Torrance," King said. "And I came to realize these people were called The Tribe, and they move around a lot...They all have these kinda pirate names, because pirates is sort of what they are."

Check out his reading of the snippet below. King's next novel, "11/22/63" arrives November 8.

Filed under: Books

1. Grumpster

Well...CNN is recycling news stories again. Guest the PR agent for King ponied out more money to re-run this story that ran last month. Bad enough movies recycle, now it's the news.

October 25, 2011 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  2. Oreo

that's cool, am halfway done with shining then off to this one >:{D bwhahahaha
    yay, furture stuff!

October 20, 2011 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mr. Wright

You guys are a bunch of inmature little puppies..

October 16, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Grumpster

Don't forget that there was a HORRIBLE remake of this that was thought by King to be better than the original. I think he can't honestly remember or understand why the orinal was so great. I think he understands less why the remake was so bloody awful. If he follows this in the same way as that terrible remake, I'll take a bye on this one.

October 12, 2011 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  5. Stomresearch

It seems to me that the plot outline King describes here has already been developed in his Dark Tower series to some extent....IE, where gifted psychics etc are hunted down by the low men and made to serve as Breakers...

So we'll see where he goes with this....

October 9, 2011 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  6. CPW

Mr. King please dont do this.

October 4, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  7. llata

what about tony?

October 3, 2011 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  8. SPIKE614

That's part of the fun reading these blogs – it ALWAYS turns political, no matter what the subject. Some people do indeed need more fulfilling lives.

September 30, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Sandinista

I was 13 when I saw "The Shining" for the first time. Those twins scared the heck out of me. What was the deal with that person with the pigs head and the other guy in the room. SCARRRRRY!!!!!!!

Cant wait for the sequel ;D

September 30, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Dino

Get a hot chick to play the wife next time. They should have had the roles reversed and had the female actress in the Shining play the psycho, she looked a hell of a lot scarier then Nicholson without even trying.

September 30, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Pliny

Where's Traci?

We need to hear the same 'poo poo post' for the 10millionth time.

Like is far too exciting .... we need Traci to create some boredom.

September 30, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jenifer Davis

I am a HUGE steven king fan and I am really excited about this sequel!

September 30, 2011 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  13. LBW

My all time favorite is the Talisman. He wrote that with Peter Straub and twenty years later they did the sequel. I have always hoped it would be a movie one day. Steven Spielberg owns the movie rites, but he never moved on it.

September 29, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Stingray

His worst book is still a pretty good read. Can't wait for Dr. Sleep!

September 29, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  15. Epidi

My first Stephen King book was in the 70's when I was about 15 – Carrie. But the book that hooked me as a fan was Salem's Lot. My fav is The Stand. Didn't care for TommyKnockers tho. I haven't read any new stuff since Misery & Delores Claiborn. I guess I have some catching up to do!

September 29, 2011 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  16. LEEl

Stephen King is not Tolstoy and he will be the first to tell you this. To me some of his work is pretty good stuff, especially around Halloween. It is also easy reading. A good scary novel can make for a good night or a rainy day. Beats TV.

September 29, 2011 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  17. Orange Julius

Poor guy hasnt really written anything worth reading in over 20 years. Most of his stuff now is either comic book silly or borderline trashy.

September 29, 2011 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  18. Hungry Man

is taht why happy cow hasnt been on here. she should report him 2 mr policeman 4 .... rap*e.

September 29, 2011 at 2:54 am | Report abuse |
  19. @@mickey88

Lol...poor cow

September 29, 2011 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
  20. @mickey 88

Did u hurt the cow getting that milk ? Did the cow enjoy it as much as u ? Lmao

September 29, 2011 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
  21. Beautiful Vixen

@FAKE~Beautiful Vixen (and other names you go by to insult me): lol...you are trying too hard to hurt my feelings. You got me to laugh on the "I just learned how to read" comment. I know that wasn't your intentions but it was a lol moment.

September 28, 2011 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Ted Mayors

You guys are hysterical.

September 28, 2011 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Jan

The Shining was the first Stephen King novel I read back in the late 70's...a silver paperback. I've been his biggest fan ever since. Am looking forward to reading the sequel.

September 28, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  24. portalschmuck

oh yeah. this is the entertainment section. politics is down the hall to your left.

September 28, 2011 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  25. portalschmuck

@adam, joe & jackie: your left-wing hatred & lack of critical thinking skills will be your downfall. most young people are liberals til they grow up & have families to provide for. then your perspective changes. its called reality.

September 28, 2011 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  26. ur_ho

Yes mickey – for chopping off weiners!!

September 28, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Mickey '88

H0s are only good for one thing.

September 28, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Beautiful Vixen

I just learned how to read.

September 28, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Leafonthewind

REDRUM!

September 28, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Beautiful Vixen

Sounds good. I'm definitely going to read this.

September 28, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Joe

Bring Jack Nicholson back for the sequel and have him chasing repubs with his ax.

September 28, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pebbles Flintstone

Politics? Really? You need a life!

September 28, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • *Snicker*

Wow. What a sad, strange little mind.

September 30, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sage

Now that's a GREAT idea you have there Joe!! Nevermind what others say..they're still asleep.

October 4, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jack

@ Sage: No, we're not asleep. We have jobs, responsibilities, and lives to live unlike you cry-baby lefties who only can think the Utopian thoughts of a six year old. Start a family and you'll move out of Narnia quite quickly.

October 11, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anon

I have a family and I am still not a republican. i still don't own a gun. i still don't give a crud about religion. i still think we should find green energy. go figure.

October 23, 2011 at 7:42 am | Report abuse |
  32. Louie

I am very excited about this sequel. The kid is grown up and it looks like his gift grew with him. I can't wait to read this.

September 28, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Leafonthewind

Jacky, please go back on your meds before you hurt yourself.

Seriously, this is the Entertainment section. Why do some people need to make everything about politics?

September 28, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Shawn

Do you realize you're publicly stating and endorsing what amounts to terrorism?

October 3, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |