Idris Elba: I'd consider playing James Bond
September 28th, 2011

Idris Elba: I'd consider playing James Bond

As a strapping, dapper actor with an English accent, Idris Elba is an obvious choice to play James Bond. But the actor tells NPR that talk of him potentially landing the part is nothing more than gossip.

"It's a rumor," he said on "Morning Edition." "It’s a very old rumor. My dad and I were talking about this the other day. I would do it, but I don’t want to be called the first black James Bond. Do you understand what I ‘m saying? Sean Connery wasn’t the Scottish James Bond and Daniel Craig wasn’t the blue-eyed James Bond. So if I played him, I don’t want to be called the black James Bond."

As Elba goes on to explain, he didn't come to the States "to play black roles. I just came to play roles."

For example, his character on "The Wire," Stringer Bell, "was a smart drug dealer, in my opinion. He’s black, but that’s not the point. The point is, this is a man caught between two worlds. That complex sort of balance that he’s in is what made the drama."

The same can be said of detective John Luther, the character he plays on BBC America's "Luther," which launches its second season tonight. "Luther has this capability to think how his perpetrators are thinking, and what they may or may not do next. And I think Luther lives quite close to rage himself," the actor says of his character, which earned him an Emmy nod.

"The difference between someone with a conscience and someone without is that one person will say, 'You know what? No, I'm not going to go over to that person and smash them in the face.' But the other person is quite close to that decision without any remorse and just will do it. And I think Luther is close to that mark all the time," he explains.

Both of those roles are emblematic of the work Elba longs for, with Nelson Mandela being another multifaceted figure he's eager to portray.

But, Elba continues, "if Sony decided to call me and said hey, we wanted to do [James Bond], I’d definitely consider it."

Filed under: Celebrities • movies

1. team awesome

Magnificent put up, very informative. I ponder why the opposite specialists of this sector don't notice this. You should continue your writing. I'm confident, you have a huge readers' base already!|What's Happening i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I have discovered It positively helpful and it has helped me out loads. I am hoping to give a contribution & help other customers like its aided me. Good job.

April 16, 2012 at 3:37 am | Report abuse |
  2. I must think a lot like you, because your views and mine are similar. Your article created a lot brain activity for me. Thank you.

I really like the song. It reminds me of something.

December 3, 2011 at 7:07 am | Report abuse |
  3. matt

as an actor he fits, but the bond character has a certain description in the books so why change that? if anything they should stick more closely to it, depending on the book or story the studio is making into the movie. concerning all this racism talk, if a story calls for a black or white character, shouldnt it be whats the word, common sense to try to cast according to the story? yes white actor played roles designed for black actors in the past, but i thought we were past all that by now. however if they wanna make a movie with idris, by all means, i think it would be great, just get an original spy action script and cast him as lead

October 3, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  4. margaret

I bet his buttRockets are full of watermelon seeds.

September 30, 2011 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  5. Bond

The name's Bond...Jamal Bond...

September 29, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Nora

What's interesting is this is a conversation taking place in America. Meanwhile, in UK, he's a hot topic.

I am not sure I care one way or another about the Bond movie with Idris in it. Had enough of Bond with the second Craig installment.

But Idris is a beautiful, wonderful actor and so above all of this nonsense that is being discussed.

September 29, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Leeroy Bond

I like my grape drink shaken...not stirred..

September 29, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  8. MZREDD

This man is extremely versatile and articulate. I didn't realize he was from another country until an interview with him on the news. I was a fan of his initially during the Wire and was fascinated by his interpretation of his character. He was amazing then and in more recent roles. I say give him the role and let him run with it! I'll go see it.

September 29, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Namaste

007 was not a code name. 007 was Bond's license to kill number.

September 29, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  10. jb2817

Would his Walther PPK have "HOMEY SIGHTS" ?? So he could shoot it sideways like a real gansta.

September 29, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Anita

LOVE him. He was fantastic on "The Wire" and is equally great on "Luther". Truly a class act.

September 29, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  12. ", Idris Elba is an obvious choice to play James Bond."

Obvious choice? And why is that? I dont think this will work because equiping Mazarati with a chilled Malt Liquor dispenser and tail pipes that could fire out a chitlin slick would be far too expensive. Also, I bet he would wanna be paid in menthol cigarettes, philly strawberry blunts or Hawaiian punch.

September 29, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Zenith

Typo alert: Primer not priner!

September 29, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  14. Shelly Stewart

@derp When was the last time you were in Monte Carlo?I mean being so smarter,richer,and knowing who your daddy is and all.

September 29, 2011 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  15. Zenith

Derp the perp, whitewashing history is a thing of the past. Step out of the trailer park, put in your teeth and start reading your first grade priner and you may ONE day reach a basic intelligence level

September 29, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
    • derp

When you are criticizing someone's intelligence, it makes you look a lot less like a buffoon if you don't misspell words.

September 29, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Zenith

Derp the perp, whitewashing history is a thing of the past. Step out of the trailer park, put in your teeth and start reading your first grade priner and you nay ONE

September 29, 2011 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
    • derp

What history was I whitewashing moron?

Cleopatra was the last Ptolemaic ruler of Egypt during the hellenistic period. She was the daughter of Ptolemy XI. She spoke Greek and Egyptian. She ruled from the Greek sea port of Alexandria (now Egyptian). She had a relationship with Caesar, and after his death aligned herself with another Roman Mark Anthony.

She was not black. She was not Egyptian. She was a member of the incestuous Greek Ptolemy family that ruled Egypt in the first century BC.

You should read up on history. Don't they have books in prison?

September 29, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Just Because..

I am a black woman and I don't think I'd want to see Idris as Bond. However I wouldn't mind seeing him in an action movie that can be similar. I think Daniel Craig is a horrible choice for Bond as well though. He's not attractive to me at all..

September 29, 2011 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  18. Grower not a Shower

That whole size thing is a myth perpetuated to give certain people something to feel proud of. Some of us have a significant size increase from "relaxed" to "ready for action" (plus we back it up by being great at "going downtown" ! All my women are smiling!

September 29, 2011 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  19. derp

A black guy could never be James Bond. How often do you see black people in places like Monte Carlo? The minute he jumped behind the wheel of an Aston, he would get pulled over because the cops would think he was a drug dealer.

There is no way he could sneak up on anyone. He'd be getting profiled everywhere he went, and he could not get a cab in NY or London. Fail!!!!

September 29, 2011 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  20. Kevin

He is one of my favorite actors. I think he is amazing at acting. I would go see it if he was James Bond. I'm glad he's not trying to be the first black Bond. He doesn't want to be known as that. I'd go see it.

September 29, 2011 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  21. Zenith

CNN, stop screening and eliminating comments that only support the moderators view of the world! There are varying degrees of thought on this issue? What are you afraid of?

September 29, 2011 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  22. MadCityBabe

there will be no black James Bond.............common people! What's he going to do, kick a$$ in da hood?!

September 29, 2011 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  23. Garry

o they insist on taking movies and or TV series and making the main character black? Not meant to be racist but Wild Wild West was a BIG time flop was it not, and Ian Flemings character was a white Englishman was it not. Leave it alone already...I am sure this actor is a very good one, but it works as is......

September 29, 2011 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  24. curlean

I'm really tired of the discussion concerning a "Black Actor" playing Bond! Its really absurd! Create a parallel character, or let a Black Actor revise the dormant "Derek Flint" role! Arbitrarily turning Bond Black is useless! Yes, I'm a Black Man perfectly happy with Bond being White! Ian Flemings created Him and the assumption has always been He's White!

September 29, 2011 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  25. karen

I like the idea of creating a new role that steps in as 007 replacement like someone's 005 idea. Idris would make a wonderful bond. But to keep from being named the first black bond, they'll have to introduce him as a new bond, taking over from the other character. It would be so exciting. I still feel blessed to point out the fact that a black person became President. My children can finally picture themselves in the white house.

September 29, 2011 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  26. craig

Who cares who plays james bond, we have bigger things to worry about in this world. As long as your a good actor who cares!

September 29, 2011 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
  27. Anonymoose

There's a theory that not only is 007 the agent's code name but the name James Bond is an alias. Hence why there have been different Bonds over the years. It's been hinted at in the books and in Craig's Casino Royale when they talk about 'the last guy'. So since James Bond is just another code name like 007 anyone can be James Bond. But it is unfortunate that this actor would be over shadowed by being the first black bond and not just the next bond.

September 29, 2011 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
  28. jb2817

Hey Idris,,, POOTIE TANG already beat you to it. WA DA TA MY NAY NOH. KEEP IT RUNNY ON THE PIDDY SINE

September 29, 2011 at 7:26 am | Report abuse |
  29. j

Oh and by the way, many people should go have their bloodlines checked-you may be surprised what is in you-and NOBODY is a better James Bond than Sean Connery (in my opinion)-and yes I am black. Here's another tidbit of information for the ignorant-not all black people go with something just because the other person is the same race. For example, when people start talking negatively about President Obama, why do they always look over at me to see if they have offended me? How do you know who I voted for? I actually didn't vote for anyone at the last election so there lol

September 29, 2011 at 7:03 am | Report abuse |
    • GUEST

@j – Unfortunately, your words will fall on deaf ears. This is America, racism runs through its fabric. Traditionally, the white population does not support black actors. Yes, there are exception to the rule, but really how many black actors have actually made it to the ever so coveted 'A' list. A few, but hardly enough to level the playing field. There are tons of talents actors of color, they just don't get the same opportunities. It is for this reason a lot of black actors have to sponsor their own projects. Even then, mostly only blacks support it, whether the project is good or not. Idris may be British, but this is America and most whites only see the color the skin, not the flag they wave. Sad, but true.

September 29, 2011 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
  30. j

Oops "BORN IN" not "it"

September 29, 2011 at 6:47 am | Report abuse |
  31. j

OMG!! I can see that some of you have never been out of your backwoods-maybe you should save up to travel and see different worlds.Idris Elba is not from the United States, he is not gonna be "rolling on 20's drinking a 40 ounce". That is an american thing with SOME people-and not just black people at that. Its really a true statement to people's ignorance that they think all black people are a certain way-We are not. NOBODY ON THIS PLANET HAS CONTROL OVER WHAT BODY THEIR TRUESELVES WERE BORN IT!

September 29, 2011 at 6:45 am | Report abuse |
  32. Ifeanyi Ilukwe

Idris Elba or any other talented African American actor playing 007 will definitely be a change for good and I guarantee u that it will be a box office greatest hit in recent times.I personally is already bored with the bond movies,and only a change like this will revive my interest as well as so many others.Just like 24 playing African American as Black President.was it not a hit?Haters will always hate no matter what you do so why don't we try a black bond for a change and let the tiny few racist cringe to their grave where they belong.

September 29, 2011 at 6:07 am | Report abuse |
  33. Shelly Stewart

@thatoneguy.No white tv stations? ABC,NBC,CBS,HBO,FOX,MTV,BET(Now owend by whites),PBS...ect.Look I used to have this same argument in school.

September 29, 2011 at 5:39 am | Report abuse |
  34. thatoneguy

Its sooooo sad that qualified ppl can't get into schools cause they're whit and the school hasn't met their african american quota. Its sad that you can get a scholarship for being black and pretty much everything else but being a white male. Its sad that everyone that says racism isn't around in 2011 hasn't looked at the fact that because my grandparents owned their grandparents I now am the victim of reverse descrimination. Haven't seen a tv station for white ppl lately....

September 29, 2011 at 4:52 am | Report abuse |
    • @poor whiney thatoneguy

Please tell us all where they are just handing out scholarships for being black-sounds like something you made up in your mind to make yourself feel better about not getting one. It's sad that some people say racism isn't around in 2011 because your comments clearly prove that it is alive and well

September 29, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Shiku Gicheru

I LOVE IDRIS ELBA!!I cant wait to watch Luther season2.once you set your goals you gotta go for them.i say,go for it Idris forget about the racists and the haters they never did matter!

September 29, 2011 at 4:37 am | Report abuse |
  36. Namaste

If an actor is truly good, they transcend color and become the character. The only problem I see is Bond is a spy and must blend into his surroundings. The location would be important. This couldn't be filmed in Russia, it would need a culturally diverse location. It could work, and be a hit.

September 29, 2011 at 4:23 am | Report abuse |
  37. Real8

what people are forgetting is that Shaft was a hero for his time
    period. African-Americans were getting out of roles where they were looked upon as negative. I believe that when they have casting calls...its for a reason. When they see what the actor/actress brings to the table, that's what should matter. I love MOVIES especially ones where the acting is good. The only time I'm skeptical of an actor/actress that is/was

September 29, 2011 at 3:26 am | Report abuse |
  38. Who?

This would be like Denzel Washington playing Jason Bourne. It makes no sense at all.

September 29, 2011 at 3:00 am | Report abuse |
    • gracen

That actually would not be a bad idea, I like Matt Damon and Denzel. I think Denzel would have made a good Jason Borne except I think Matt Damon was a better choice because he's younger and in better shape.

September 29, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Grammar Rock

@boooom... Your misspelling of Ms. Tubman's name speaks VOLUMES about, both, you + your education/background. Whew, I just love it when ignorant folks "out" themselves in public!

September 29, 2011 at 2:24 am | Report abuse |
  40. The Governor

Why do I need ablack man playing the part of James Bond? I am an african-american and I do not understand this. There are certain roles that need to stay within their ethnicity. Such as the fore-mentioned Shaft, Bond, I love Lucy, etc.... These are timeless classics that should be left alone. Can you imagine a white Mr. T, just because he grew up in Chicago? No! WHY, because we were given an image. Now I will also add that it is my opinion that the James Bond movies have become overkill. The original is good enough for me, thank you. As for those of you immature enough to foolishly trot out the "you are just mad cuz he's got a larger penis" line, grow up. For the sake of your children, they need an adult in their life.

September 29, 2011 at 2:16 am | Report abuse |
  41. Dion

It's SO sad to know that I'll NEVER be judged by who I am but by what color my skin is...

September 29, 2011 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
  42. boooom

Hi I'm matt damon. I'd like to play harriet tubbman. But don't consider me the first white or male harriet. Just see me as harriet.

September 29, 2011 at 1:14 am | Report abuse |
    • @Boooom

It probably took you all morning to come up with that comment–unfortunately it makes no sense since Harriet Tubman wasn't a ficticious character–but if Matt Damon wants to play her more power to him.

September 29, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Jesse Ream

The guy's a hell of an actor with accent to pull it off. Denzel & Will Smith have been doing versatile rolls for years. Whats the difference?

September 29, 2011 at 12:44 am | Report abuse |
  44. bond

James Bond is the name given to every 007. It is a rank.

September 29, 2011 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
  45. JenJen

Idris Elba is a gorgeous, talented actor who would be a PERFECT James Bond. I loved his work on "The Wire", "The Office", "The Big C" & now "Luther". Hell, I even liked him in "Obsessed", even tho Beyoncé & Ali Larter ruined the film for me. The fact that race is still an issue in this country in the year 2011 makes me sad. Idris, if you get offered the role, you take it. You'll redefine the character & I'll be sitting front row cheering you on. Much respect to you, sir.

September 28, 2011 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  46. wot

Jay, is there any other color for Jesus other than Black; maybe olive(tan)! Jesus is a spirit, love,love! We are all dust of the earth, pick you color!!

September 28, 2011 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Athena

If he's the next Bond, who would be his perfect Bond girl? (Ok, now I'm running for cover)...

September 28, 2011 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  48. cody

absolutely not! mainly because Daniel Craig needs to be bond for another decade

September 28, 2011 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
  49. wot

Where do I buy my ticket! He is an excellent actor! I saw all of the series(speciAl) on BBC and by the way why so few of them! Let him be Bond, you would make a ton of money! Black Bonds!

September 28, 2011 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
  50. lovinlyfe

I think he is very talented actor and could play any role he wanted to. Plus bein fine as hell is definitely at his advantage. Go idris!

September 28, 2011 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  51. G-Man

Idris Elba playing James Bond is like some random white guy who calls himself 'Eminem' playing a rapper in the movie 8 Mile. Oh wait, A Eminem did play a white rapper in 8 Mile, didn't he? How about if A brother stars in the 8 Mile sequel?

Okay, tongue-in-cheek here: there will never be an 8 Mile sequel, and black people could care less if there is ever a "black James Bond". I sure the hell don't care. We actually aspire to substantive roles about people whole change the world as Idris indicated- e.g. – Nelson Mandela. You can actually keep your ficticious heroes who pacify you and lull you into complacency you derive from just simply being 'white', whatevet that may mean to you. Wake up, the world is changing quickly around you. Status quo is coming to a timely end.

September 28, 2011 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • @G-Man

1) 8-Mile was an adaptation of eminems life story, sequel with another actor wouldn't cut it.

2) let's not pin the blame on caucasian-america's complacency in being white, it's all of america's fault for not looking past the color of one's skin. People forget what the dream was all about: content of character.

3) To generalize makes you appear more un-intellectual than you think you are. Not all black actors strive to play inspirational roles/people, just like not all black audiences want to watch them. Case in point: Tyler Perry & the Madea Franchise. It's all based on slap-schtick (sp) comedy aimed at complacing the community in stereo-types

September 28, 2011 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • G-Man

Umm... Look up the expression "tongue-in-cheek" we all know 8-Mile was about Eminem's life story. See the point is, getting past the color line in America rest so firmly on the white shoulder for now that for the rest of us, reconciliation can go in any number of directions. Reading posts like the ones here show me that the color line has been drawn, and that people like me aren't supposed to criss it, at least in the minds of some. Ypur point about Tyler Perry's Madea is made – just realize every post can't speak to the totality of any reality. I had my contribution, and you've made yours. Unless you're a specialist, however, don't purport to have the ability to assess my intellectual ability from fewer than 100 words scrawled on a website like this. It's not possible to be accurate with so little information about a person, especially when you don't know intentions or understand how serious the comments are.

September 29, 2011 at 6:13 am | Report abuse |
  52. Janet Reno

It never fails to amaze me how all the Wise Guys cant wait to pounce on every single comment that doesn't exactly mirror they're own. Absolutely NO ROOM for others beliefs or opinion. Also, topping it off with sarcasm and a dash of nastiness. And if anybody makes a typo or grammatical error while giving a counterpoint, they disregard the point, and instead focus on the error. Why not just admit you are "Closet Repuglicans" or start acting like Democrats. Most Democrates I know DON'T fit this description, so to all ppl that DO, why not clean up you're Act and give a little room for others. Now come to Papa.....

September 28, 2011 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Oyster

I am a bit of a racist, well ok I am pretty much a racist, but I think Idris would make a helluva James Bond.

September 28, 2011 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  54. mike

And on the reverse, would you see a shaft movie with say, bruce willis as shaft? Same thing.

September 28, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  55. mike

Right. Because thinking that bond should be played by a white man makes someone a racist? He is a white englishman. I sincerely doubt there were many black cold war era english spy. Some of you pc'ers should just go shoot yourselves in the head.

September 28, 2011 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  56. I Love Being Black, Sorry You Don't Get to Experience It

And they say racism doesn't still exist in America? He's a talented actor, regardless of race and would make a wonderful James Bond! I feel sorry for all of you that are so insecure that you have to refer to him as "Rufus", are so immature to say "Colt 45, shaken...", and are so lonely to say "...don't ruin the white women". FYI- on the last comment, they've all ready been ruined ;) Go Idris!!!

September 28, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Your son is playing my meat flute

LOL...thats a good one. Only problem is most black men wind up with the white boy rejects. You know what I b sayin. Im sure you've had the great white whale with the hairy mole, stretch marked belly and smelly hole. Well you can have em.

September 29, 2011 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Kass

I've never been intersted in watching any James Bond film. However, I sure would become interested if Idris Elba played 007. ;)

September 28, 2011 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Lashaun

If you dont like it dont go see the movie cause im sure he could care less about you get over color it 2011 if you sooo worried about color why are the black men and women of this country fighting for your free how about you go take their place in sure the orignal soldiers weren't black just saying take my place bet you wont

September 28, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Nick

Wait the picture is of a black man, 007 is a white man. They can't do this to the legend of Bond. Are you kidding me? He would be a fantastic Bond, who cares if he's black, we need to get over this colour crap. I'm a white man and I see talent not race and the rest of you that see race are foolish

September 28, 2011 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Teela Bridgeman

White people you've already played every minority or have you Zorro Tyone Powers The King of Siam Yul Brenner,David Carridene Kung Fu(a role created for Bruce Lee,countless Native American roles,early minstrel shows,John Wayne has even played a China man sad but true.Many others.

September 28, 2011 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  61. R.U.Sirius

Next we can get Eminem to play Linc on the next remake of "Mod Squad", or get Harrison Ford to play "Uncle Remus".

September 28, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  62. CamNYC

He's a fantastic actor and would be perfect for the part. I hope this happens!

September 28, 2011 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  63. @@dillinger

Is dillinger wearing a uniform?

September 28, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Ron

I'm by no means racist but a black james bond? Ok how bout in Bad Boys 3 we cast ashton kutcher and sean william scott to replace will smith and martin lawrence that makes about as much sense as a football bat

September 28, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  65. R.U.Sirius

sorry, no. next they'll have a white guy play Buckwheat or Stymie. Or a remake of Andy Griffith with some Indian dude. some things you just don't touch.

September 28, 2011 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Mina

Blue ink troll Idris Elba may not be the first black James Bond but someone will and soon.

September 28, 2011 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  67. @ dillinger

Halle Berry was not the first black woman to play Catwoman. I see that you are young and uniformed. Have you heard of Eartha Kitt?

September 28, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Centurion

@mejazzbo: ) Keep the 007 'cause that's the position, have Bond be out of circulation due to injury, bring in his Replacement: a drop dead gorgeous female spy with British accent and all, to complete the mission. She'll destroy the villain and break his heart, just for kicks. Maybe hav Bond and 007 Replacement meet at Fin, for martini's. Shaken, not stirred.

September 28, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  69. John

Is he Black?

September 28, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • KajinPL

Well judging by his name, he's probably African. Most Black Brits are African in origin.

September 29, 2011 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
    • derp

"Most Black Brits are African in origin."

Where are most Black Americans of origin, China?

September 30, 2011 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  70. Sokman

Val Kilmere was the first blonde Bruce Wayne. Dont remember there being such an uproar about it.

September 28, 2011 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • KajinPL

You know? I actually did not even think about that until now. I guess no one cared because it was Batman.

September 29, 2011 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  71. Alex

At least Elba is British. Reportedly when they were searching for Bond last time we nearly ended up with either a Yugoslavian or Czech actor in the role. After he left the role of Bond, Pierce Brosnan reportedly championed Colin Salmon (Robinson in his Bond films) for the part. Elba raises a very good point – and one people who want political correctness to outweigh good judgement overlook (and this goes for those who want a black actor to play Doctor Who as well) – if he or any other actor "of color" were chosen for the part, their skill as an actor would be completely ignored and undermined by the fact they'd simply be known as "the first black James Bond" or "the first black Doctor Who". Or the first black Batman, for that matter. The characters were conceived as Caucasian and have been irreversibly established in the public eye as Caucasian, rightly or wrongly. Better that someone instead create a brand new character – a new Bond, a new Doctor Who, a new Batman – that catches the public's attention. That would be a far more impressive feat than simply doing something that will, without doubt, be dismissed as gimmick casting, regardless of intent or the skill of actor chosen.There are two dozen black actors I think would make superb Bonds, superb Doctor Whos. But I think color-changing such well-established characters would be a mistake and a disservice to the actors.

September 28, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Ty

James Bond is white. Period. Okay so why can't we have a white actor play Malcom X? Because it's stupid folks.

September 28, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • lol

Hmm... last time I checked, Malcolm X was real a person. James Bond is a fictional character and therefore can be any race or color. Looks like the only stupid one is you.

September 28, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  73. mike

As far as I know, bond was described by ian fleming as blonde in the novels. Hence why the choice of daniel craig was defended as being closer to the real version of fleming's bond. So no, its not all about recreating the character. Akin to remaking the lord of the rings with an all black cast.

September 28, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  74. cinematic soul

September 28, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • gracen

What do characters from middle earth have to do with anything. I don't remember Tolkien referring to race in his books.

September 29, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  75. gross

whats next? a white president? sheesh

September 28, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  76. mejazzbo

Couldn't he play a different double-O character. 005 for example, keeping all the attributes of the classic character and continue the franchise. Maybe starting him off with the current 007 in a film in which 007 ends up getting killed. 005 completes the mission. This could move in so many directions. I think Idris Elba would make a great 00?.

September 28, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  77. 1996z28

I like my sack to be attacked. Gigity

September 28, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Val

@ luke: James Bond is a fictional character. Not a real person. MLK was a real person. There is a difference. Elba would be fantastic as Bond.

September 28, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  79. KajinPL

Idris is hardly random. He's an established actor and a pretty good one and he's a Brit as well. I understand what he means though. The first thing people will think is like "oh, he's the black 007" rather than the "New 007".

September 28, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  80. luke stone

This is like a white guy playing martin luther king jr. In a movie. Bond is a english classy white guy not a random black dude

September 28, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • TJ

What's wrong Luke? U can't stand the fact that Idris wee wee is more powerful than yours...LoL

September 28, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • CamNYC

You are aware, I hope, that Dr. King is in fact an actual person and not a fictional character like James Bond, so the comparison makes no sense. If there can be a Scot (which is NOT the same thing as English) playing an Englishman, or a blue eyed blond playing a character that had previously been portrayed as dark-haired, why not a Black man? Get your head out of the 1800s. Elba would be perfect as Bond.

September 28, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bucktooth

This is the dumbest discussion I have seen so far! Is this 2011??? The white man has inserted himself to play every"colored" character in history! From Jesus, who was NOT white, to Cleopatra, to Moses, etc..all played by white people! Hollywood put their main actors/actresses to play these roles because they did NOT want black people on the screen. It looked pretty stupid for Liz Taylor to play Cleopatra when we all know she was black. And Liz was a Great actress!
      The Black woman who wrote "The Matrix" and "The Terminator" (look it up) probably didn't write any race into her stories..producers stole the story and put Arnold/Reeves in those roles.
      I will have to say that Sean Connery WAS James Bond! I'm sure Idris will do fine if he does the part..he's a fine actor!

September 29, 2011 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
    • derp

" It looked pretty stupid for Liz Taylor to play Cleopatra when we all know she was black. And Liz was a Great actress!"

Hey genius, Cleopatra was Greek. She was not Egyptian or black. She would have been olive skinned at best. And since she was Greek royalty, she would most likely have been pale skinned. You may want to study a little history before opening your mouth and inserting your foot.

September 29, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  81. Ida

Go for it Idris!! It's a fact that black men are waaaayyyy more endowed than white men and better lovers!!

September 28, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Say it ain't so

Funny how this became a topic of penis sizes. My guess is anyone who mentions it (men or women) lack the attack on the sack!

September 28, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ty

I will bet a million dollars your fat and have low self esteem. Hence why you like black men.

September 28, 2011 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • G-Man

It's "you're" you intended to type, not "your". That's "your" last free spelling/grammar lesson from this black man, you ignorant miscreant!

September 28, 2011 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • derp

"It's a fact that black men are waaaayyyy more endowed than white men and better lovers!!"

Yes, but we are smarter, make more money and know who our fathers are.

September 29, 2011 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
    • @derp

Claiming to be smarter doesn't really mean that you are, and you know who your father is because he's your mothers brother

September 29, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • derp

Ok, so maybe my dad is my uncle.

White people still score consistently higher on SAT, LSAT, ACT, IQ and every other intelligence test administered to all races.

We also make more money on average, per capita, an in total.

Blacks are better at one thing. There are more blacks in prison per capita and in total than there are whites. In fact, there are more blacks in prison than there are in college.

Congrats, you win.

September 29, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Nasty

Black Bond would be 2smooth 4 tha White critics...

September 28, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Davis

007 has always been a white englishman. I'm not sure that a character's skin color is something an actor, even an actor with Elba's amount of talent, can overcome.

September 28, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anomic Office Drone

Being white has nothing to do with James Bond. It's never even mentioned.

September 28, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • MMB

"The President of the United States has always been a White Anglo. I'm not sure that a leader's skin color is something a politician, even a politician with Obama's amount of talent, can overcome."

Does that put it in perspective at all?

September 28, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • @MMB

Actually no, it does not put things in perspective. You cannot compare a FICTIONAL character to a political position. James Bond is a ficitonal character. He is not real. What if we cast Shaft as white? James Bond is a white character, I'm not saying he isn't a good actor or wouldn't be good at it, but casting him as James Bond would be stupid. What if we cast him as Batman? It just wouldn't work. I don't think there is anything wrong with "good guys" of color but James Bond is a tried and true white character.

September 29, 2011 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  84. james holt

I won't see another James Bond movie if he's caucasian... Im not prejudice... But change is good/needed

September 28, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  85. people please

My bad ignorance

September 28, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  86. people please

It's a rumor and some of you are getting really crazy,calm down man.We in this country treat each other so bad,this movie if ever made will mostly be distributed in Great Britain so stop showing your ignoranc

September 28, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Black Man

wow is this not 2011...

September 28, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Evel Knievel

Is that Leon from "Curb Your Enthusiasm"?

September 28, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Big A

Daniel Craig is excellent. I don't think a replacement is necessary be it white, black, purple, or green.

September 28, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dillinger

So basically you don't care black or white, alien or monster? They're so many other choices that could fill the spot over this guy. I'm not taking away his talent as an actor, and I don't care that he's black. HOWEVER, Bond doesn't need to be made into a black man just because the black community of America feels like they're being discriminated against, sadly..I believe they're some roles a black man/woman shouldn't touch, like Halle Berry as Catwoman.

September 28, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • @dillinger

Your statement completely lacks logic. What black people have called out the need for a black James Bond?

September 28, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jay

Ive heard it before. Even P. Diddy has said publicly, a time will come for a black James Bond. Never mind it's just him, you won't hear it from prominent influential black people, but I don't know why blacks would care. Fictional or not, I see no need to change the race of a character that has been portrayed a certain way for decades. Give him another 00 agent status, problem solved. The way people keep pushing race into even the most meaningless public issues seems only to keep building the fences of racial tension higher and higher.

September 29, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Fred Frump

You know Miss Moneypenny's got to go Mandingo! She's going to see for herself if those rumors are true!

September 28, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Lannisha Beal

Idris is going to be amazing as James Bond,he'll heat up the Alps and cool down the Pacific Islands and he can act.

September 28, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Orange Julius

Isnt he James Francos life partner?

September 28, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  93. grady

me and fred ll go see em.

September 28, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Tammie Lee

I say it's about time,I hope he decides to do it he's very s#xy.

September 28, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • patkasper

love, love, LOVE, him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll see him in anything!!!!

September 29, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  95. ray ray

I enjoyed the Shaft series too. They really were enjoyable movies. The actors should have gotten paid more.

September 28, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  96. lamont

Already tried this with the John Shaft movies in the 70s. I liked em. Maybe itll be like a remake.

September 28, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Paula

farthum, O O Kneegrow, ray ray: YOU all are the most racist pigs ever! He's hot and talented you are haters-

September 28, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • @Paula

They're not racist, they're just stereotyping today's black actor. If anyone's being racist, it's you.

September 28, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • JUGGERNAUT

@ABOVE

stereotyping is racism, you moron.

September 29, 2011 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
    • @JUGGERNAUT

I take it your small little peabrain doesn't understand the concept of sarcasm, does it?

September 29, 2011 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
    • nikki

I'm very shocked at these racist remarks. You all are the ones holding the country back from progression!

September 30, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Exec Producer

It would rule. He could go into the hood and fight crime and they could play a wrap music soundtrack.

September 28, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • alice

Ive seen this guys acting and he is about 1/2 step above Will Smith. Nothing special about him. He is typical black male...all styling and profilin all flash no substance malt liquor drinkin baggart.

September 29, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  99. ray ray

The name is BOND. RUFUS BOND.

September 28, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Seela

He is very handsome and talented,I believe he'd be good at it,but I think him playing would be a commercial flop in America because he wouldn't be accepted.

September 28, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pattie

Disagree. I think he'd do a great job. I fell in love with the dude playing a sleazy drug dealer set in the equally sleazy city of Baltimore. The dude is perfect for Bond, and I think enough people here saw The Wire and know what a superb actor he is.

September 28, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anomic Office Drone

He's a brilliant actor and we're talking about a role that has nothing to do with race. I think he would make an excellent James Bond and I don't think his race would hurt the box office. If it did, I would be pretty ashamed of this country because I'm still holding out hope that we're better than that as a people.

September 28, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

dream on moron, you are not good looking enouth, there are many beautiful men around, but not you.

September 29, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  101. ms t

Isnt Idris a girls name?

September 28, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pattie

No, that would be "Iris". You obviously didn't see The Wire or anything else he's done, or you wouldn't have posted such a lame comment.

September 28, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

Idris is a Muslim guy's name. Does that bother you?

September 28, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • JUGGERNAUT

it is an Islamic male name.

September 29, 2011 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Liz Malone

That's okay he is fine as hell l'm sure his name is african fool.

September 30, 2011 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
  102. Evel Knievel

Nice work, my friend. I see what you did there.

September 28, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  103. @farthum

He'd be kicking back in Black Chrysler 300 with some killa 20's too.

September 28, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Junkpile

That would be Thunder Bird....shaken not stirred.....LOL

September 28, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  105. ted

He be handing out free menthol cigarettes and screamin "WAYZ DUH WITE WIMINZ"

September 29, 2011 at 7:05 am | Report abuse |
  106. @tracie

tracie, that's a funny name for a fat, unemployed drunked white guy.

September 28, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |