Helen Mirren's 'contribution to ecology'
September 28th, 2011

Helen Mirren's 'contribution to ecology'

Helen Mirren tried to convince herself into motherhood earlier in her life, but at 66, the actress says she doesn't regret not having kids.

“It's not that I don't love children,” Mirren, who wed director Taylor Hackford in 1997, told the Guardian. “They are funny, and I just love them, but I never wanted to have them. I really tried to want it at one point … I thought maybe I should. But I never convinced myself.”

The Oscar winner has been steadily working in the entertainment industry since the late ‘60s, and she told the paper that procreation has never been on her agenda.

“There are far too many people in the world,” she joked. “It is my contribution to ecology.”

Filed under: Celebrities

« Previous entry
  1. Junkpile

She was really hot in the Excalibur movie......years ago.....I bet Liam Neeson hit it......

September 28, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Marny

I wish trolls would finish themselves off turn into real fertilizer instead of walking crap,that would help the ecology.

September 28, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Anomic Office Drone

There is nothing wrong with not wanting kids. Frankly, I wish more parents had thought of whether they wanted kids or would be capable of taking care of them before they decided to procreate.

September 28, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  4. happytam

Thank you Helen. I am 40 and have never wanted to have children either. I have a niece and nephew and just about all of my friends have children. I enjoy spending time with them but it never translated into me wanting my own. I also tried to convince myself that I wanted them or that I SHOULD have them. Then I thought that as I got older I would change my mind but that hasn't happened either. I have read plenty of articles about older women who never had children and then regretted it. It's nice to hear about someone who knew what they wanted (or didn't want) and never had any regrets about it.

September 28, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Policeman

This old woman's womb has dried up and turned to ash, that's why she can't have kids. But I'd do her...

September 28, 2011 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  6. triumph

Kids are a valuable asset. You can make them do all your work around home then when you get tired of them you can sell them to the chineese. I herd they will pay good money for children over in China. I think they maybe use in stews and chineese dishes maybe.

September 28, 2011 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  7. Makalah

All of my friends are starting or trying to start families,my husband and I choose not to have them. We may consider adoption one day but for now we're happy the way things are.It's nice to see older couples like Helen and her husband who made that choice and are happy.

September 28, 2011 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  8. boocat

I'm with Helen. I never really wanted kids either and never had them.

September 28, 2011 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  9. Fred Frump

So I'm first. Big deal. Where's the parade?

September 28, 2011 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |