GLAAD: Fewer LGBT characters on primetime
September 28th, 2011

GLAAD: Fewer LGBT characters on primetime

The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation has released its 16th annual “Where We Are on TV” report, which measures the number of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender characters on TV.

And while the shows that make up the 2011-2012 season might look promising, GLAAD says networks have taken a step in the wrong direction as far as inclusion is concerned.

Down 10 percent since last season, LGBT characters account for 2.9 percent of the scripted series regulars currently on network TV.

With 6.8 percent of regular characters identifying as LGBT, Fox came in first place, dethroning ABC - which had topped the list of inclusive networks for the past six years.

Perhaps ABC’s 3.4 percent of LGBT characters - including “Modern Family’s” Mitchell and Cameron, played by Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Eric Stonestreet, respectively - was no match for Fox’s power duo: “Glee’s” Kurt and Blaine.

Thanks to “True Blood,” “Boardwalk Empire” and “Hung,” HBO features the most leading and supporting LGBT characters on cable for the second year in a row.

However, the number of LGBT regulars on cable networks also dipped - from 35 to 29.

Though, GLAAD notes that on new shows like The CW’s “Ringer” and ABC’s “Revenge,” LGBT characters haven’t been introduced yet, and so they’re not included in the report.

Post by:
Filed under: television

1. baby food stages

Consequently beatiful, a great photograph

October 5, 2011 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Patrick

Why does there have to be so many of this group, and so many of that group? Geez I am tired of that B.S.. I don't watch something because the right amount of groups are in it. Political Correctness is the worst thing to hit the world in a long time. Not every show needs a gay character. I don't watch Television for some sort of tolerance / inclusiveness lesson, I just want a good story and good acting. And considering the barrage of so-called " Reality " shows ( heavy on gay themes and characters BTW ) that is getting more and more difficult to find.

September 30, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jon

Who cares. We've got better things to worry about than the LGBT folks getting someone on a T.V. show

September 29, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Moondoggie

Apparently GLAAD has not seen the lineup for Fall 2012.......CBS this Fall....Two and a Half Dongs........followed by The Bi Bang Theory, and Mike & Mike or Molly & Molly, this one is still being tested in select viewing areas.

September 29, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Bobsta BOb

Do gay dudes really take it up the butt?

September 29, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Spidey

They can't just look at the regulars – there are tons of story lines on all the shows (thinking cop/csi/drama) that have gay-themed story-lines. Statistics don't prove anything. Brothers and Sisters was cancelled, so that accounts for part of the drop. So in that case, does there have to be a replacement to meet a quota? Stupid.

September 29, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Chris

If anything, it seems to me GLBT t.v. personalities and characters are over-represented.

September 29, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Who Cares?

I think it is funny how people come on here and comment about how they don't want things rubbed in their face and someone even commented that no other minority group has done this. I'm pretty sure African Americans fought for equal rights in the 60s. Every arguement being made from both sides of this fence has been made before but just with a different minority. People don't have to agree with you 'lifestyle,' but they should respect that all people are equal and deserve to be treated as such. Anything less is not acceptable. Minority groups have to be overzealous because if they are middle of the road they will never be heard or taken seriously. If African Americans did not march and take a stand in the 60s we may still be using separate facilities and only seeing them portrayed as uneducated on TV and movies.

September 29, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Harry

I always find it odd that FOX Television has often pushed the envelope with social liberties, many of which the people at FOX News seem to want to stamp out. Very Bi-Polar (sometimes Bi and sometimes Polar opposite).

September 29, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  10. dank

who cares who and how many are on tv. lets start counting blacks and latinos, etc. do we really need to care where people come from or what they do in their private lives. just give me good tv

September 29, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Bob F.

There are fewer smart characters on TV, too, but I don't see Mensa up in arms.

September 29, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Harry

The "Git-R-Done" crowd is definitely dropping the intelligence level of America as a whole. People are easier to control when they are dumbed down. Bread and circuses.

September 29, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  12. NYCMovieFan

This is interesting, but needs to take into account that the number of televsion drama and comedy shows has also fallen, with more "reality" programs because these are cheaper to produce. So there is a drop in the number of fictional characters overall seen on TV, which will affect all groups of characters. Instead of numbers, it would be more useful to hear a rating of how the characters are being depicted – are they lead characters, is the representation truthful, is hatespeak avoided, etc.

September 29, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  13. No Brainer

Listen, if the Military now accepts LGBT people to serve openly in the military in defense of our country, it stands to good reason to expect that the networks will also have many more LGBT characters in their television series without incident. That's a no brainer! End of story.

September 29, 2011 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  14. Alex in NJ

There are also a very low number of Republicans portrayed on TV, especially in a positive light but who cares? Just get over it and focus on things that matter.

September 29, 2011 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  15. Boldly Go!

Why is this news???!! I don't have an issue with gays or lezzys but shouldn't we be casting people based on talent and not their choice on how they live their life??

September 29, 2011 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  16. mudfoot

I watch cartoons

September 29, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  17. Bobby Kizzire

who really cares?

September 29, 2011 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  18. T_Toughnuts

That may be because the shows that featured LGBT people have been cancelled due to lack of appeal. It is just like when shows throw in the token black guy...it is forced at times to have LGBT characters that are in your face. GLAAD should celebrate victories they are having in shows like modern family rather than whining about watering down shows that don't need LGBT characters...

September 29, 2011 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  19. Michael

The next 'right' that the LGBT community will demand is a quota for TV. You watch. It'll happen.

September 29, 2011 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  20. WWRRD

GLAAD: Fewer LGBT characters on primetime

I see we are making progress!

September 29, 2011 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  21. teddy

Why is this news and who really cares? I sick of these immoral idiots in the media trying to shove immoral behavior down people's throats. What's next? "There's not enough metalheads on TV, there's too many black people on tv, There's not enough cats on tv, There shouldn't be any characters on tv that are over 50..."

GLADD get a life! Go buy Chaz Bono a pot roast to naw on or something!

September 29, 2011 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  22. Lily

Gays and lesbian should stick to a more private life style instead of trying to overpower us with their presence, we (straight people) accept you as the human beings that you are but in all societies you are a Minority not a Majority, so please get out of our faces.

September 29, 2011 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Far_From_Left

Amen Lily!! It is not about acceptance, it is about plastering their lifestyle all over so they can be comfortable in their own skin under the guise of normalcy. I think it very selfish of them to expose this life choice to impressionable children and that goes for the networks as well! Pretty sad when your 4 year old says "gross, why are those men kissing"?, on primetime TV before bedtime nevertheless. Pretty crappy thing to try and explain to a child, but I am sure this is the desired outcome on their part. Confuse generations to come so all are as confused as they!

September 28, 2012 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  23. 1ofTheFallen

Finally fewer GL's. The fewer the better. I'm so tired of GL's being in everybodys face. I was glad to hear that SouthWest kicked of the Lizzy'z for not controlling themselves. I would have wanted them to do that for straights as well. GL's do not get it. The world does not revolve around New York or San Fanciso. There is a lot more to America that the few great citys. If you want acceptance the best way to get it is to act acceptable and quit acting unacceptable. YA KNow more like the rest of America that doesn't parade around trying to suck face in front of everyone and then turn around and say see we can act wierd as well. Acting respectable gets you respect acting unrespectable only gets you hated like the Goslins.

September 29, 2011 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  24. No Bummer 2012!

We need more girl on girl action. Gay men are on abomination, and just plain nasty.

September 29, 2011 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  25. Mr. Myxlptlkx

ALAS! WHAT'S A MORALLY BANKRUPT, IRREVOCABLY SPIRALLING DOWN THE TOILET HOLE TO THE BLACK PITS OF HELL CULTURE SUPPOSED TO DO?

September 29, 2011 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  26. disco_fever

Why does 10% of the population expect more than 5-10% representation in pop media? I will never understand.

September 29, 2011 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  27. Cullen

That's because people want to be entertained with a good story, not have a political agenda painted out on their television.
    Has anyone ever gone on BET to count the number of white people?

September 29, 2011 at 8:18 am | Report abuse |
  28. eddie

I would like to see the two gay guys rubbing their tallywackers together and having the little chinkee girl putting them into her mouth.

September 29, 2011 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
  29. tutuvabene

How about more prime time for the mentally ill and serial murderers? I believe they are on only 0.1% of the time. Perhaps the group that does the tallying for GLAAD can give me an exact figure, since they have nothing better to do.

September 29, 2011 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
  30. tutubabene

I'm demanding more primetime for the mentally ill and serial murderers I believe they are on only 0.1% of the time. Perhaps, the folks who do the tallying, as for the GLAAD organization can give me an exact number, since they seem to have nothing better to do.

September 29, 2011 at 7:29 am | Report abuse |
  31. Jarod

OMG!!!! It's just TV it's not supposed to represent real life. Look around you how many people in their 40's and 50's you see around you that look like supermodels? Yet that is what you see on TV? And no one is complaining that there aren't enough fat people or ugly people on TV!!!!! If you want an accurate representation of real life just watch PBS!!

September 29, 2011 at 7:27 am | Report abuse |
  32. Rational

Who wants to see this disgusting garbage anyway?

September 29, 2011 at 7:24 am | Report abuse |
  33. stephendouglas

I don't care what people do in their own bedrooms, but many folks are just plain sick of the gay agenda.

Sorry, being gay is NOT normal and is not an acceptable life style. It might be a tolerable lifestyle – as long as it is not constantly being promolgated as normal – but enough is enough.

I am grateful my kids are grown and not being subjected to this attack from the liberal Hollywood nutjobs while so young and I feel for young parents.

September 29, 2011 at 5:56 am | Report abuse |
  34. It's about time

Fewer? Normal people are GLAAD!

September 29, 2011 at 3:24 am | Report abuse |
  35. QuietStormX

When I saw this headline, I said what the ..... I thought, where are all the Black characters in network primetime shows? There are more on cable series shows on HBO and Showtime that talk and are part of the show and major in one as to the series. You even have more than one and two together, man and woman. But when I see a story or show where I say a person of color would fit or should be in a story or show like this, but not? I don't watch much shows that don't interest me with the story or cast. I'm not one of these people who watch modern family and tired of all of them on Bravo shows where the men are gay and the women are strait. I want to see less of these LGBT people on TV.

September 29, 2011 at 1:22 am | Report abuse |
  36. Mario

The GLBTQ characters in the media aren't anything to brag about. Most of them are offensive stereotypes or token characters. I HATE Glee, its not funny and its obnoxious. The season finale of True Blood relied on the evil/dead minority cliche and every GLBTQ character experienced tragedy while the hetero characters experienced very little. The GLBTQ characters on animated shows are always offensive stereotypes (not to mention all the racist portrayals of Mexicans on Family Guy). The Media rarely portrays our community in a realistic positive way.

September 29, 2011 at 12:13 am | Report abuse |
  37. Theo

I'm not sure who is worse between GLAAD pulling this nonsense and Geena Davis pushing her bogus agenda.

September 29, 2011 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
  38. KeithTexas

And I am happy that there are less on TV. I am so tired of looking at them, in fact I don't watch TV but if I did I would be tired of looking at them.

September 29, 2011 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  39. hmmmm

What is the percentage of GLAAD folks in our country? The percentages they're listing on TV souund like an over-representation to me... I'm all for equality, have many gay friends, but please stop the whining...

September 28, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Jonnie Boi

I am looking forward to the tv show with a main lead gay character on ABC, NBC, CBS, or FOX. I think that's why we're concerned about the percentage of gay characters on tv shows because they're secondary or supporting characters. I want a lead character. As last night's episode of Glee said, (paraphrasing here) "If there aren't any parts for you, write your own stuff." And that's what I plan to do.

September 28, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Andy

Believe it or not Gay and Lesbian characters are not that interesting.

September 28, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Andy

Beleive it or not Lesbian and Gay characters are not that interesting.

September 28, 2011 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Seth

Yep! A lot of hoopla for an abnormal demographic that does not even represent 2% of the total population. They need to show more unnatural, mentally defective gay people sodomizing each other.

How low can society stoop?? Everytime I figure it is the lowest it can go, low and behold the bar is lowered more than I could ever imagine.

September 28, 2011 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  44. lancesackless

Complainers gotta complain. Then again, who watches prime time anymore anyway.

September 28, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  45. urmomlol

I don't know...I see a lot of lesbians on Cinemax

September 28, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  46. tewrobert

I won't watch a show where I know they will have gay scenes and I won't watch a show where I know someone is gay is on it. And I hate Tom Cruise too

September 28, 2011 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  47. cia

I have nothing against gays but I do have a problem that GLAAD will try and make a childrens show (Sesame Street) have a gay character its also bad that spongebob and patrick are portrayed as gay.

September 28, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  48. RollingMyEyes

Face it guys and gals, you were a fad. It's typical Hollywood. Once the novelty or shock value wears off, they drop you like a rotten potato.

September 28, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Steve The Squid

Squid are the most underrepresented minority on primetime. I demand more roles be given to squid actors.

September 28, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • WWRRD

All the squids are on Bones. Slang for geeky scientists. You ought to watch. Much bettter then Glee!

September 29, 2011 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  50. Kris

There's enough LGBT crap on Glee to make up for any loss of any other characters. Not that any of this should matter at all, but nevertheless, Glee really should just be the official LGBT show of primetime network television.

September 28, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • How'bout This

Well unfortunately it can't be since it was said that the main Gay character is being written out of the script. Satisfied? Now they will surely need a replacement to better represent Gays since that door was opened already in the show.

September 28, 2011 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  51. The Jimster

i fear religious argument...lol...GO ATHEISTS!!!

September 28, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Tony

Keep the gays in the closet where they belong!

September 28, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • You too

Yeah, as long as you are shut in there tightly with them right!

September 28, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Robert

Serioulsy? Since when...last season? How many shows?

So they're actually 2% of the population but expect to be higher than that representation on TV? Sounds like an agenda.

September 28, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Be Equitable

The problem realistically is that they are not showing longer-lasting kisses and more steamy bedroom scenes with a LGBT theme as they are of their Straight counterparts. That is inequitable and it Has To Change For Better Parity!

September 28, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Artie Lange

Watch the Emmys in any given year. Half the people on that show are fruits. And there aren't enough gay characters on TV? Please.

September 28, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Stella

Oh for crying out loud! There are fewer milk men on TV this season too, do you hear the dairy industry whining about it? Honestly, be who you're going to be, who freaking cares, but STOP trying to make it everyone else's issue! The only reason anyone gives a rats behind whether someone is LGBT or not is because the LGBT community screams it from the rooftops and in so doing they are ostracizing themselves. Straight people do not going around announcing to the world that they are straight, and LGBT's shouldn't either. I know plenty of gay people who quietly live their lives, they don't play on the stereotypes and call attention to themselves. If a tv show decides to introduce an LGBT character that's fine, but they should feel like the have to and unfortunately that's what it's coming to.

September 28, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  57. C

Good lord! Does any of this matter? NO!!!

September 28, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Ron McLoughlin

With the latest revelation by Florence Henderson abt Reed (her Brady Bunch husband) it was sad indeed that he cudn't come out yet I'm sure the gay community knew all abt him. Of course, he wudn;t have been able to be the "husband" unless people cud say, "It's not reality...blah, blah." What LGBT shud monitor is the portrayal of the gay characters, esp comedic gay since "everyone" can take gays who are hilarious funny by their "oh, that's so gay!" isn't acceptable.

September 28, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Pony Runner

Vote with your remote. I liked Glee at first watched it with my wife, but when they went down the gay storyline in your face, full bore, I was out and my wife as well. Its a free country watch something else. Anybody else sick of the LBGT's whining about I am not getting enough of this or that, being loverlooked, or being a protected class ?

September 28, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • More LGBT

That was entirely YOUR choice. But many prefer to view what is truly going on around them in real life and not stick solely to Straight people themes, so they choose to see life themes rather than bury their head in the sand as you apparently are doing along with your gal. This is *Progressive* T.V. and if anything, it needs to include More Gay Characters and with steamier themes!

September 28, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  60. David M

What about trailer trash? When do they get more shows? Casey Anthony filled that spot for a while, but she's not on so much any more.

September 28, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  61. TheWalrus13

Not surprising for me. Networks will do whatever will get them higher ratings. LGBT people just aren't as taboo a subject as they were 5 or 10 years ago, therefore networks are moving on to newer characters and newer things.

September 28, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Mrmailman

HOW ABOUT WE ALL PRETEND THAT THEY ARE IN THE CLOSET?

September 28, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • James PDX Mostly Straight

Are you yelling because you're worried we can't hear you from inside your closet?

September 28, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Bill Duke

I didn't realize there was a quota.

September 28, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  64. bb

ok. one person said if you don't like it don't watch it. Well this would be a reason the shows are going off the air. GLAAD needs to look at how they are being portrayed in the media. Every judge and contestant on project runway etc. Not flattering. I don't think it is a matter of discrimination. Virtually everyone winning an Emmy thanked their "partner" this year. I did my part, i pulled my television out of the closet and put it against another wall!

September 28, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  65. janet

I think Glee makes up enough for it. I don't even watch it anymore becasue that's all the show seems to be about – pushing the gay agenda.

September 28, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • WeNeed More

You know, what many wish is that they wouldn't have to have the Straight agenda pushed in their face all the time as the only theme. Face it, there are LGBT people, millions and millions worldwide and have always been and will continue to be! It is high time the networks take advantage of this fine class of talented people and portray them with as much class, dignity, and respect as their Straight counterparts. We are not living in the Sixteenth Century anymore, or haven't you noticed? Of course if you prefer to go backward and live in that era, knock yourself out but many progressive people today like to watch what truly reflects America and that is with LGBT people on t.v. showing who they really are and if anything, We Need MORE of Them Not Less!

September 28, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  66. teamroper

Why couldn't they just stay in the closet?

September 28, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Answering You

Because they wouldn't want to find you there and have to be so close to YOU!

September 29, 2011 at 6:30 am | Report abuse |
  67. kdf

if ever there was a group of people that pushed themselves and their "kind" on someone it would be this group. I NEVER want to hear about how religious people push their thinking or beliefs on others. This group needs to be on the ridiculist.

September 28, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • ItsAbout ThosePeople

Talking about the 'ridiculist', it's precisely because of those kind of people on the Far Right that LGBT people have had to "push" themselves for equal representation. So make yourself useful and go Blame Them!

September 29, 2011 at 6:40 am | Report abuse |
  68. tankrothchild

Support depopulation, support GLBTs!

September 28, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Ed

Finally, some good news for once!

September 28, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  70. weallgotone

GLADD should change their name to WAAH.

September 28, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  71. tyler

Their are children watching? Really, how does one do that exactly?

September 28, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  72. twinkle toes

sure a lot of closet queens bashing their one true love on these posts!!

September 28, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Jay

Where are the rednecks?

September 28, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Ron in Californiar

GLAD is another organization with an agenda. They will never be happy. To me it seems anytime I flip a channel I see some gay character or program. Even prime time. Have they forgotten their are children watching? Frankly I'm getting kind of tired of it.

September 28, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • NowListen Here

Well you know Ron, speaking of prime time t.v., I was wondering the very same thing each time I turn on the t.v. and there is a Straight couple kissing with tongue exposed and more than three quarters naked and feeling each other voraciously. There are children watching! But I suppose it's o.k. for them to watch according to you because that's what they should learn about at their age. What a double standard yet so typical of your kind of folks who don't get it and who can't get enough of heavy Straight pet-ting on t.v. yet when a LGBT character appears with little else to do but give a small kiss to someone you get bent out of shape. It all boils down to your Double Standard!! You evidently haven't progressed enough to live in the Real World. Go back to the Twelfth Century and live in your favorite cave.

September 28, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Doogie

While the number might be down by 10%, you wouldn't know it because those that ARE on TV are doing 200% more of shoving it in our faces to make up for the discrepancy!!!

September 28, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Greg

My wife is seven years younger than me....where are we represented on TV? Every show about married couples show them either the same age, or 20+ years apart in age. Where are the couples who are moderately different in age? Help, help, I'm feeling disenfranchised!!!!!

September 28, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shaun

LOL really? There is plenty!!!!!!!!!! Cougar Town and Real HouseWives. Everyone of them is getting divorced, and going after younger men. There is your circle.

September 28, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Nycooler

10% down is a good start...another 90% and T.V. quality will go up!!!

September 28, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  78. zaggs

And? So according to GLAAD characters and story lines should not be pushed based on how good they are, but rather if they contain gay characters or not? They realize that's not equality right?

September 28, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Shaun

Ummm there is enough on TV. Their is a bunch on Reality TV. There is no way they are going to put that on TV, because the way the LGBT act will not be watched on regular TV. I have nothing against LGBT, but they are too extreme for Prime Time. Sorry, but everyone knows how true it is. Just look at Glee. That is enough in itself.

September 28, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  80. sameeker

I don't care what people choose to do since this is everybodys America. Just don't tell me that I have to stand in line behind another group to gt a job. I am far enough down the list as it is.

September 28, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  81. dirtystone

That picture is disgusting. Freakin' deviants! What on earth is wrong with these sick freaks?!?

September 28, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • luciano

dont call them that...but pray for their conversion

September 28, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Instant Translator

"I clicked on that link hoping I would see something like that...but then I just have to pretend it disgusts me. I feel dirty. I put 'dirty' right in my own username to prove it."

September 28, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Chelle

Fewer? Are you kidding?!! Open your eyes - they're all over the place!

September 28, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  83. JustSayin

I don't think that stations are shying away from LGBT characters. I think that having LGBT characters was a really big trend and shows were introducing characters just to make a stir or make a statement. While I see nothing wrong with having LGBT characters, if the show doesn't call for having a main character who is LGBT then don't create one just to be up on a trend.

September 28, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  84. greg

I'm GLADD too

September 28, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  85. tankrothchild

This is interesting because I'm having trouble identifying straight characters on TV, lately. Seems like GLBT characters and storylines is the only thing available on network or cable TV.

SUPPORT STRAIGHT ACTORS! They are a dying breed.

September 28, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  86. ready

and they only make up like 1% of the population, so if anything they are OVER represented on TV.

September 28, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  87. GeorgeBos95

I couldn't care less about the percentage of GLBT characters.

September 28, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Jason

This report is great...hopefully the trend will continue and we won't have to see any of this immorality on TV. And you can take all the adulterous and otherwise perverse garbage off the air too. America needs a return to morality.

September 28, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Arguenot

Seriously? Hollywood is driven by one thing, and one thing only....money. If these characters are not profiting the industry, then they will not focus on them. So, what does that say?
    Most people are not interested in watching 2 guys kiss. Politically correct or not, there it is.

September 28, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  90. James PDX Mostly Straight

I just counted the number of characters which are ME included in this season's TV shows and discovered a very disappointing zero. While this shows that the number of characters which are me has remained steady since last season, I was hoping for more diversity this season and, well, more of me. Clearly affirmative action and the JOT Coalition (James On TV) are not doing their job. I even gained weight so that the ratio of me to everyone else would be increased, thus forcing the need for the networks to also increase the number of characters which are me. Since that didn't work, next season I will file suit against all of the networks until I see myself on TV. And being arrested on the 6 o'clock news for streaking through the mall doesn't count. That wasn't me. It was my stunt double. It's too early in my career to be doing my own nude scenes.

September 28, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Majestic

Normal viewing audiences are just getting a little tired of watching gays making out. The shock effect is getting a little old and is now just grossing people out. It was only a matter of time before money making studios started to see that. Getting an award from less than 5% of the population who can't reproduce isn't much of an incentive.

September 28, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Arguenot

Common sense that some here will have to label you a bigot for. Cry, stomp feet, threat to boycott, have tantrum....it will not matter....Americans have just about had it with being forced to keep our opinions to ourselves and go along with the minority decisions that are destroying our society.

September 28, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Adam

I agree. I have no problem with gay people or gay people on tv. But I don't like seeing two men make out on tv, especially when I know both actors are straight and they're probably uncomfortable with it themselves.

September 28, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ Majestic

The world at large will give you a prize if you promise not to reproduce, too.

September 28, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  92. VTSKIVT

nasty stuff..... i could not care less what the outspoken minority says.... nasty stuff.... and I don't want my kids watching.... hear that ABC, CBS, HBO and all the rest of the networks.

September 28, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Arguenot

Adding my voice to VTSKIVT.....And apparently Networks are listening as these types of characters are declining

September 28, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Instant Translator

"I saw a link to an article about those icky gays, and I clicked on it so fast I durn near sprained myself. Had to go make sure everyone knows what I think."

September 28, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Chris

Who cares?? As long as it's good tv, then why does it matter who's sticking what in where and in who?

September 28, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Chris

That's 2.9 % too much. Keep your perversions in the bedroom and off of my TV.

September 28, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Consider This

Chris, talking of "perversions", they need to quit showing so much Straight perversion on t.v. all of the time! It's just not entertaining! It's filthy and stomach turning to be quite honest and completely unneeded as there could be children and others watching whose sensibilities could be offended.

September 29, 2011 at 7:13 am | Report abuse |
  95. RF

I think there should be a law forcing tv shows to have at least 25% of their characters be gay. Who's with me?

September 28, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Molly

Dumb

September 28, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • So Right

RF, you're so right about having a law mandating 25% LGBT people be on T.V. shows from now on! If it's alright for the military to accept LGBT folks as the law now, it should likewise be the law that they have them REGULARLY on t.v. as well!

September 29, 2011 at 7:09 am | Report abuse |
    • teddy

NOT ME!

September 29, 2011 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  96. TheWordMaster

Let's not forget Warehouse 13's Steve Jinks!

September 28, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • TheWordMaster

And while I'm at it, I have no problem with people being gay- it is the lifestyle that I'm not a fan of.

And it REALLY bugs me when tv shows go into detail on these relationships. Torchwood-a British show- has a main character who is immortal, funny, and gay- YET THE SHOW PRODUCERS DECIDE TO HAVE A VERY GRAPHIC SCENE BETWEEN HIM AND HIS BOYFRIEND!!! I watch the show for it's mystery and sci-fi, not to watch two dudes....well...you get the picture.

September 28, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Confused

What does that even mean, 'the lifestyle'?

No problem with people being gay...so long as they don't look, behave, or do anything gay?

September 28, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  97. sparky91

Seriously? There are people who keep statistics on how many non-straight type people there are on TV? The bravo channel alone should keep the numbers up! What a complete waste of human resources....but hey, I guess they are employed right?

September 28, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • teddy

isn't there a GL cable channel? Watch that and leave regular TV alone! Crybabies!

September 29, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  98. driranek

Gay characters are one thing, but out of all the characters in total how many of the actors who portray them are gay? On this 'paycheck' basis betcha the straights are being crushed....

September 28, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Sara Bean

GLAAD is just like the Parents Television Council.....whine whine whine, we don't get anything

Like Veruca Salt, "Daddy, I want a golden goose!"

Sometimes life isn't fair...can't we accept that. That's what my parents were taught and they ended up living a fairly good life. We all can't get what we want yet we try and change the rules and reform...but still no one is satisfied

It's sad

September 28, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  100. humtake

The less you try to throw this into everyone's face, the more accepted you will become. People accept normal, people reject odd. Stop being odd and trying to push your lifestyle in our faces and then you will become normal, and then nobody will care about you one way or the other.

September 28, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bout You

humtake the day You become "normal" and without prejudice is the day we will all throw our hands up in the air and declare Glory Hallelujah!!

September 29, 2011 at 7:18 am | Report abuse |
  101. Cheeseburger

Or pedophiles!

September 28, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Cheeseburger

2% of the population making 98% of the noise. Enjoy your "lifestyle" and leave us alone. The less emotionally twisted people practicing an abnormal and unnatural on TV the better. In fact, a big reason I watch little TV these days. So acutely insecure, acceptance is being pushed on everyone. I don't accept it. And I won't watch it. And it will never be normal.

September 28, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Sakura

Seems like most shows have gay supporting characters, usually to provide comedy or controversy. Heteros are the vast majority of the TV audience and will therfore drive ratings which make or break a show. I think having gay main characters will be limited by a hetero audience's inability to relate to the character, especially in regards to romance. Most people want to watch heros and heroines that they identify with and whose imaginary lives they can live vicariously. Thus, they want characters whose desires and goals they share. It is easy for me to laugh at the gay couple on "Modern Family" and their relationship to the extended family. However, if the show was a drama that focused exclusively on the gay couple's relationship, I don't think it would hold my interest.

September 28, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Kyle

Thank you. I feel like most gay people would agree with you. I think people who get the most upset about studies like this are straight people who just assume gay people are upset about it.

September 28, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  105. Nick

Look, I'm gay and this kind of complaining is exactly what rubs people the wrong way. I'm 100% in support of equal rights, but complaining that there aren't enough gay stars on cable TV makes me want to puke in my suit. What about all the Inuit? Why don't we have more Inuit on TV? And what about all the trans-gender people? Why don't we have any trans-gendered actors on Manswers or Deadliest Warrior?

September 28, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cheeseburger

Don't forget pedophiles! They need to exhibit their abnormal and unnatural "lifestyle" too! Geez!

September 28, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  106. J. Mike

Did they count the number of gay skits on SNL? There seems to be at least 3-4 gay things on SNL every week.

September 28, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Pimpson

Gays shouldn't be on TV at all. People turn their TV's off when gays come on.
    Also, what is this pervert group glaad whining about? 2% of shows have gays, and there are 2% of gays in our population.

September 28, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • You too

Pimp-son? Well, that explains the anger in that you're not getting equal time! lol.

September 28, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pimpson's Mom

Honey, are you almost done playing at your friend's house? It's almost dinner time. If you and Jimmy are through playing doctor, I need you to come set the table.

September 28, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Name*sherri

To lolcat you really sound like an idiot.

September 28, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • lolcat

Actually, the hallmark of an idiot is not being able to use the 'reply' button properly.

September 28, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • sarahleona82

Lolcat, I am GLAAD to see you use the word "hallmark" correctly and in the right context.
      They even make a card for this situation at their store.

September 28, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Rob

I was recently in the Phillipines. They are very open to LBGT, but they don't put it everywhere or TV. I don't thik they feel the need to there. Can you imagine how up in arms GLAD would be if there were more shows promoting churches? I know many LBGT got to church and are christians, and other faiths. GLAD doesn't share that view from what I have seen.

September 28, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Richie

Why doesn't primetime television show more quality programs like "Friday Night Lights?" You know, portraying normal people that aren't from NYC/LA/Miami. I want shows about American values and simple things that makes people happy. I can't stand watching coddled characters complain because they don't get their way. Wealth is portrayed like crazy on television . . . it almost makes you think they have no brains or right mind to identify with the current socio-economic climate.

Maybe another West Wing, except a government in under corruption and needs to bring themselves out of debt/create jobs/fix infrastructure.

The Television industry needs intellectual infrastructure

September 28, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

Because new shows like that don't get good enough ratings, meaning a majority of people prefer the way tv already is.

September 28, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Tamber

There is a greater percentage of LGBT on tv than there are in real life. Shut. Up. The whining.

September 28, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • teddy

yeah, and they try to portray Gays as being stable indiviuals! The characters on these show are true examples of GAY FICTION!!!!

September 29, 2011 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  112. himalaya2

PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals ! LOL *Pee-Pee*

September 28, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Jay_ny

I guess no one is holding their breath is there aren't anymore characters or if there is a dip in the %. How about reduction in crime, homelessness or hunger in the US.

September 28, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  114. Donny

Less gays on TV makes me feel gay.

September 28, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  115. dan

Are you kidding me? There are more now then ever before. Just watch all of the shows on HGTV, bravo, MTV, etc. Don't push your lifestyle off on everyone. And for people that say don't push the straight lifestyle on gays, that's the majority of peoples lifestyle. So sickof hearing that we dont see enough if this mental disorder. And here is a question for everyone...if you are a woman that likes women, then why do you like women who act or even look like men? Same thing for guys who like guys. I never will understand that.

September 28, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Donny

This makes me GLAD.

September 28, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Kyle

GLAAD is starting to become almost as annoying as PETA.

September 28, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  118. Steve

There is at least one gay person on almost every tv show. I know a lot more gay tv characters than I know in real life.

September 28, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Ashley

I am all for the LGBT storylines and whatnot on these shows, and i love glee, modern family, true blood, etc. but after a while doesn't it lose a little of the meaningfulness the community wants it to have? Gay people are definitely not out of the ordinary anymore. Just write a good story.

September 28, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  120. ????????????

Isn't this season of Jersey Shore on. There are 7 or 8 LGBT right there.

September 28, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Joe

Good. They're annoying.

September 28, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  122. himalaya2

the Polanski Penis Penetrated the Parisian Pvssy?!?

September 28, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  123. citizenUSA

Mainstream America is not ready, (if we ever will be), for too much gay, (as well as other issues), on network TV. No rich gay person has come up with the idea of a cable channel? I think there is one actually but I never hear about so I guess even gay people don't watch it much.

September 28, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  124. Name*sherri

To the person moi I am so glad you love all people. You are so awesome. Why do you think god made man and woman. Even the animal kingdom know better. Get your bible out and read. You need to. I actually feel sorry for you.

September 28, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • lolcat

Here we go, terrific. "Git yer bible and read about sin! Protect yerself from TEH GEYS!!11!!"

September 28, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  125. himalaya2

Pee-Pee on Peter Puffer Pride Parades with Pansies in Pink Prancing about their Penisii !

September 28, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  126. the_dude

No one likes you gays. You cannot force people to like or accept you. If normal people actually like being around gays and interacting with gays then you would see them all over tv. I personally feel there is way too much gayness on tv as it is. I dont want to have to explain to my sons what is wrong with these sick weirdos.

September 28, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • not abiding

Pretty sure you don't have to explain anything, they're likely making out with each other when you're not home.

September 28, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Watch It

Hey dude, not everyone likes your slobbering Straight t.v. scenes either with your people french kissing and making out inappropriately and almost nude on prime time t.v. but I suspect that you think that's o.k., that's alright, even for your underage children to watch. What a double standard but yet so typical of most prejudiced and bigoted folks. That appears to be their standard which fully exposes and speaks volumes of them.

September 28, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  127. STRAIGHT4EVER

The more LGBT characters I see, the less TV I watch. If I see even one scene of this nature I never watch the show again. I am sickened by this crap and I don't want it in my entertainment. I don't complain - I just don't watch. It's sad, many new shows offered promise until these types of scenes ruined them.

September 28, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • lolcat

You shouldn't be watching TV anyway, obvious redneck troll, you should be mindin' yer wimmins and teachin' 'em their place.

September 28, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • yeah right

Translation: "The moment I see even one scene of this, I am...totally turning it off...as soon as I'm done rubbing one out."

September 28, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan in Missouri

Why do LBGT largely feel the need to implant their style on society... No other social group seems to feel that need. My theory, there are mental and physical consequences when one mocks the nature of the body... Then they are left with a void to fill or a sick feeling to overcome, which gets blamed on others not accepting them... I don't care how self destructive a person is as long as it is contained to themselves and does not cast me tax dollars. I think most Americans are like that. So get over the need to push yourselves into public view...

September 28, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • lolcat

@ Dan – that made zero sense.

September 28, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • vtskivt

I can't agree more.... I don't want my kids to see this crap. Keep the things on TV smple like the old days, Munsters, Hogan's Heros, gilligan's Island, Addams Family... stuff that is fun to watch. This is just the typical outspoken minority stuff.

September 28, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

You know, I couldn't agree with you more. I have the same policy when I see a man and woman kissing on TV. What a man and woman do in their bedroom is their business, but Goddam it, don't shove it in my face! Too many shows had promise until I saw a man and woman kissing or OMG! In bed on TV. I at LEAST want to see some light between them or one foot on the floor. I also prefer to see a women with a vale over there heads and just a little slit for their eyes, but that's another discussion.

September 28, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Oh Yeah

Straight huh? Yeah right! Straight to the nearest you know what!

September 28, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

This. Would have ruined Torchwood if I were watching it over cable TV. I download all my shows luckily, so whenever I would catch sight of dudes being nasty I 'd drag the slider forward a few minutes and pretend they just closed the bedroom door. I don't care about gay characters. I do care about visual ipecac ruining otherwise good programming.

September 28, 2011 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  128. Dan in Missouri

I am Mormon, have there been any studies done to ensure that my religion is fairly represented on Prime Time. Oh wait, I don't watch prime time, because of you putting your bedroom in my childrens face... Go Netflix Go Hulu where I choose what to eliminate... truely, it has been 7 years since I turned off the networks

September 28, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

The networks aren't trying to please every single demographic. If they were, nobody would like anything on TV. Losing the ratings of the people of your religion isn't that big of a deal to them. You have other options.

September 28, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

I gotta agree with you, dan. Most of the things on tv these days are pure rubbish. When I visit someone who has cable and it's my turn with the clicker? I typically turn it off. That or PBS, or C-SPAN. Good shows are so few and far between I won't hunt for them on a thousand channel long list. I'll just download them.

September 28, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  129. David

"You've come a long way, baby!"
    In the 70's, I only remember Jack from Three's Company, and he was only pretending to be gay.
    Now, I was only a kid, so I didn't watch everything on TV.

September 28, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  130. Jeff

Personally, I think it's going in the right direction if you know what I mean, just not fast enough.

September 28, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  131. Jebus

Ever notice how every Hetro doesn't have to have a an entire episode about them getting a kiss, but every Gay character does?

WHERE IS THE EQUALITY!!??!?!

September 28, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Adriana

That's because if you're lucky a gay couple will get a handful of kisses all season, while the straight couple will get a handful of kisses each episode.

September 29, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  132. Mit

What does the "T" in LGBT mean? I get the first 3...

September 28, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  133. bradi

what about strong characters played by strong actors and actresses with good quaility scripts , that don't dumb themselves down nor politically correct themselves into stupidity and lacking of substance for the sake of 1 audience because of Political correctness.. maybe things will change after 12/22/2012 when all the weak minded people, characters, and organizations w/ weak agendas will all OFF themselves thinking it's the end of the world and the next day we can have what I mentioned in the beginning of this post.. The gene pool needs chlorination!!

September 28, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  134. Brad

I am really quite embarrassed by the comments left here. I didn't actually know there were people who are as ignorant as the ones who comment here, not just for the content you post, but for the way that you cannot manage to type a simple comment without filling it with errors. As for the content of the article, I am gay and honestly don't care how many LGBT characters there are on a show. How they are portrayed is more important.

September 28, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • nipseymc

Exactly. Too many gay people on tv are stereotyped and put in for one of two things; comic relief or drama. Not all gay people are flaming, over-emotional/dramatic, or talk effeminately.

September 29, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  135. Steve

There also aren't very many intelligent men who are good fathers on tv, but you don't see us complaining about it. TV is about entertainment, not about promoting diversity.

September 28, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  136. DJCowboy

This might be the stupidest complaint ever (this week)

September 28, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  137. Sara B

What is this article talking about? There are plenty of LGBT characters on TV. Primetime, even cable shows, and more so, reality shows. Plus according to recent polls, more people are favorable about gay rights/marriage.

Why is GLAAD never satisfied?!

September 28, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • CRB

GLAAD will never be satisfied. It's all about money now. If all of the problems with the LGBT community are suddenly solved, less money will be made by those who work to keep the arguments going – much like our government does. Sad...very sad.

September 28, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • irritated

Tell me about it! Seems like every channel I turn to has two guys making out or worse! It's getting monotonous. I just assume to leave it in ESPN....or read a book...

September 28, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  138. Bill Henderson

Good. They're over represented, anyway.

September 28, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  139. Canuck

When you consider the shows on HGTV and the like, I'd suggest the LGBT community is drastically over-represented already.

September 28, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • teddy

HGTV and BRAVO are too gay....The people on their programming are sickening to look and listen to. Very twisted cable channels.

September 29, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  140. CmonNow11

I see very few scandinavian-americans on tv and feel discriminated against – waaaaah

September 28, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • sarahleona82

Exactly. I'm an Aryan and completely underrepresented. More of me!
      And how about this sperm bank refusing ginger donations? They're trying to weed out us pale people! Where is the proper outcry over that? Racists.

September 28, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • teddy

GLADD is BAD–Both GLADD and the ACLU should be destroyed!

September 29, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  141. Charles

I will not watch anything about gay people nor will i allow my kids to watch this. If i see affection between gay other than a kiss, i do say something. Never have been told to mind my own business and never will. I do not want my kids exposed to something that i feel is wrong. Like me or not, i dont care. There are to many people in this world that feel the same way i do. Someone will always have my back.

September 28, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • b

Mind your own business bigot.

September 28, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • lolcat

Hey Charles, where exactly do you 'feel' this wrongness? In your pants, when you see gayness happening?

September 28, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Arguenot

@Charles....count me in......Too tired of being rail-roaded about what are kids MUST be taught, what we MUST accept, what we MUST feel sorry for and Pay for. Enough is enough. And while certain groups call us names, and having their tantrums, they are missing the very real fact that the average American is Fed Up. But it is all about them is it not? Shame on the rest of us. The "rest" of us who are starting to wake up and realize that the "rest" of us also equates to the "most" of us.

September 28, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  142. Veeee

@TexasRangersFan...thank you. That was a very eloquent response. I too could care less if the actor is LGBT or if the character they portray is LGBT. I just want to see good acting with a good story line or listen to a good performance by a musician. Its all in the name of entertainment.(Want to know? I'm a straight Black woman)

September 28, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  143. DTQ

They should only be allowed on for the purpose of looking or acting ridiculous or to play something about to be killed off. Other than that keep em off the screen

September 28, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • teddy

Suicide...Well, the majority of G&L's are on a suicide mission=For they expose themselves more to disease, depression, developed mental health problems and substance abuse. It's a very unhealthy lifestyle–That's why them wanting to call their civil unions "marriage" is a mockery and they SHOULD NOT be able to adopt children.

September 29, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  144. brian1952

Disgusting. Keep it behind closed doors where it belongs. Not on tv!

September 28, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • novajersh

Can you detail what is disgusting and what should be kept in the closet?
      Who are you to limit what I can watch on tv. I have a remote and can change the channel at any time.

September 28, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  145. Levimatise

So what?have u seen some of the str8t men on these shows?nuff said.

September 28, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  146. meljaro

Chaz must go. He's hurting himself so we r not helping by voting for him. He IS in pain!

September 28, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  147. Evel Knievel

Great news, now let's keep the momentum going until we've run them all off, save for Chaz Bono.

September 28, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • b

And you have exceptions to your rule why...? If youre going to be a bigot youd better have stronger convictions than that.

September 28, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • sarahleona82

b, does the ' key not work on your computer or something? I'm trying to give you any excuse here, dude.

September 28, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  148. Lorena

I agree with Dwight 100%!! Well said!

September 28, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  149. Joshua

Why do they care HOW MANY characters there are?

As an Alliance Against Defamation, shouldn't the question be how accurate the character is written, or how well-rounded and developed the character is?

September 28, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  150. TexasRangersFan

As a gay man, I couldn't care less how many GLBT characters there are. I will watch a show if they make it interesting enough for me to watch not because it has a gay character on it.

September 28, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • skatingalexandra

I think that is great, and I too would watch a show for the same reasons. When people make it too big of an issue it makes it harder to enjoy and accept.
      A good friend of mine is a gay actor in Hollywood...he just makes good movies.

September 28, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • teddy

Really, that's how it should be. Limiting yourself, like these GLADD people do, to just subjecting themselvs to only things that have a gay theme is very ignorant in its own way.

September 29, 2011 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Dave in Portland

Thank you. Does the GLBT community really want Hollywood to be FORCED to include characters of that nature? If it is forced, you can bet that the roles will not be of high quality. Quotas rarely lead to a favorable representation.

September 29, 2011 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  151. p zombie

I bet half these people aren't even gay. They are probably manipulated into it by conscious persons.

September 28, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • David Chalmers

@ p zombie – Love the P Zombie name and reference. Thanks, this chat owes you. +1 mate!

September 28, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  152. Name*sherri

We don't need that junk on tv. Straight people don't go around yelling and screaming we're straight. Why don't you guys get a life and grow up

September 28, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Moi

You actually Do go around yelling and screaming we're straight. Most character's on tv are hetero couples telling stories about their lives. It's in everyone's face. Junk? you are a shameful hateful person and I feel sorry for you to walk around with such bigotry in your heart. Oh and I happen to be a straight married woman that loves all people.

September 28, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • b

Booya moi.

September 28, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • lolcat

"Oh and I happen to be a straight married woman that loves all people."

LOL You were fine right up to there...'loves all people', right.

September 28, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • sarahleona82

Moi, I bet you don't love Name*sherri.
      Hypocrite.

September 28, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • becca

September 28, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

Ahhh...Everyday of the week straight people are screaming they're straight. Man kisses woman on TV = "I'm straight." Man in bed with woman on TV = "I'm straight." A male and female couple walking down the street = "Hey, look at me, I'm straight." A male kissing a male on TV = "you're advertising" "don't shove it in my face"

September 28, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave L

If gays had the same rights as everyone else maybe they would'nt have to be in anyones face. No I am not gay and I don't play one on TV.

September 28, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Listen Here

Sarah, now don't be getting all jealous and huffy over Sherri now darlin'! She's ALL yours!

September 28, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • teddy

agree 10000% with your comment! Gays need to learn to go about their business and stop flaunting their immoral lifestyle and trying to corrupt children!

September 29, 2011 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
    • nipseymc

Sherri and teddy must live in the same trailer park...

September 29, 2011 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
    • teddy

"nipseymc

Sherri and teddy must live in the same trailer park..."

-No, I don't but from your posts, I bet you live in Brothel! Pig!

September 29, 2011 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  153. Pliny

Wrong!

Do you want to know what there is 'fewer' of on TV?

Straight White Males.

Diversity does NOT make us stronger.

September 28, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill the Cat

Or intelligent Christian males that are not protrayed as imbeciles. Or good fathers.

September 28, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • @Bill

I completely agree

September 28, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • b

Hahahahaha what? Yea straight white males are under represented on BET and LOGO maybe.

September 28, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • farthum

I'd add Wookies and midgets to your statement, but I don't think they're counting magical creatures.

September 28, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  154. MikeB

The problem really lies in the new shows nowadays, no matter what the orientation of the characters, pretty much suck and are canceled pretty quick. The reason some shows exist is because the current characters work and if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

September 28, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  155. PropervVillain

Political correctness gone amok. I am offended that there aren't more skinny, arty type dudes like myself on tv. Where can I lodge a complaint?

September 28, 2011 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  156. Socrates

I am white and my wife is Asian. I demand a number of our type of biracial couples in primtime.

September 28, 2011 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
    • b

Okay then do something about it.

September 28, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

Watch Happy Endings. There is an interracial couple and a gay guy. Everyone can enjoy it.

September 28, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kyle

Or Modern Family. Interracial couple and a gay couple.

September 28, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

I have no problem with that. The fact that people have a problem with gay people being acknowledged just shows their bigotry. They want gay people in the closet. It's not going to happen so just deal with it or commit suicide.

September 28, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Socrates@John

Wow! "Commit Suicide"...?
      Now there's a fine example of that "tolerance" that the far left is always sreaming for. So typical of the far left party of hate.

September 28, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  157. [lol] (@Policeman)

I couldn't agree more.

September 28, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  158. sigh ...

Who cares as long as they are entertaining characters ...

September 28, 2011 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  159. Eve

Less LGBT and minorities because shows are back to the early 60's for content

September 28, 2011 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Policeman

Not trying to troll on this, but maybe because gays and lesbians make a small percentage of the overall US population. Or better still, make a lesser percentage of the consumer population.

September 28, 2011 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
    • b

A larger percent than what is being represented on tv. Ps policeman i find your bigotry to be gross and uncool.

September 28, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jessica

Policeman, Actually GLB people often have more disposable income that straights do so that would make us bigger consumers per capita than you guys. And were about 6 to 9 percent of the population not 3 percent.

September 28, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • b

Sarahleona stop trying to seem witty
      It doesnt suit your little head.

September 28, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alan

Jessica – no legitimate studies (i.e., other than those funded by GLAAD or related groups) put the estimates that high. Most center around 3%. Discovery's composite study, http://news.discovery.com/human/about-2-of-americans-are-gay-110411.html, puts the number at 1.7% for males, but this is one of the lower end. Nothing does more disservice to the LGBT cause more than inflating the population numbers – it implies that the number of people in a group has any bearing on that group's rights. Also, I think Policeman wasn't trying to draw conclusions about any group's income, simply pointing out that you can't fairly expect a for-profit production company to market a show to group with relatively small purchasing power.

b- the wildly inaccurate ad hom on policeman was totally lame.

September 28, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • sarahleona82

b – I don't have to try to be witty. It just happens, like magic or fairy dust or other gay things.
      It does, however, help to have a good foundation of proper punctuation. For instance, I don't attempt to reply to a witty comment in all lower case with terrible punctuation, making others wonder if English is not my first language or if my mom was a hairy ape.

September 28, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Majestic

B- you are the reason people don't like GLAAD people. Policeman was making a very accurate observation. If you want to label everybody who makes simple non-biased observations as a bigot, perhaps you should look in the mirror.

September 28, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • googoo

And not a moment toooooo sooooon. Cannot think of a better era to be in when people spoke English and correctly I might add. When people somehow felt that laws were there to be followed. When you saluted the flag or held your hand over heart if you hadn't served, when school prayer was ok and it never killed anyone. When parents weren't having menage-a-trois with their own kids or pupils or with the neighborhood dog.....when Charlie Sheen was probably not hatched yet. Then the kids of the 60's showed us all....revolt...look what we've inherited today......wunderbar

September 28, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • b

Cnn mobile leaves me wishing for a keyboard so that people like sarahleona actually had something to come back with besides my grammer. As for alan the comment to policeman was referencing another comment he left. It was lame but so was his comment. Magestic, he is a bigot and if you agree so are you. My views are inclusive and tolerant so no, I am not a bigot.

September 28, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • sarahleona82

B, you misspelled grammar.
      You're still a moron and a hypocrite, as you refuse to be inclusive of people who are non-inclusive.

September 28, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  160. triumph

LOL Olive. I thought the goob gobblins only came out at halloween though.

September 28, 2011 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  161. triumph

i am brain challenged. does that count ?

September 28, 2011 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  162. Louie

When is there enough? Next the people in wheels chairs will be saying the same thing and then there are the height challenged. You can't please everybody.

September 28, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  163. triumph

I thought this was going to be an article about Tom Cruise. Oh well. . . . .

September 28, 2011 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Craig

What Prime Time TV Show are you talking about

September 28, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

It's terrible when you have to spell things out for people. The poster was referring to the fact that Tom Cruise is blatantly Gay albeit still in the closet.

September 28, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • EricLr

He's not in the closet. Scientology healed him with their magic volcano-god powers!

September 29, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Raven

Hooray for Hollywood, for finally doing what they always should...

September 29, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  164. GLAD

There is a good representation of us here,or well there was some are back in the closet.

September 28, 2011 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Peter

It seems to me that there are more than ever gay themed characters and shows than ever. Just 10 years ago there seemed to be a few like Will and Grace and the odd twist. How much is too little. It's great there is more diversity but I wish people would take things for what they are and not feel content has to be legislated on some kind of content quota basis. Things have come a long way. Good quality stands on its own.

September 28, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anomic Office Drone

I feel link counting the number of any minority to fulfill some unknown quota is a bad thing. Tell good stories and have characters that fit in to that story. Anything else is pandering, and that's what GLAAD seems to be asking for, not for real advancement but to be pandered to.

September 28, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • COinTI

There are a good number of GLBT charactes right now in my opinion. GLAAD should surely acknowledge what % of the population identifies as GLBT in America now, and see that the tv show averages actually depict a greater % than those who self identify now in the USA.
      However, that said, if all the closeted Republicans were to come out, then the tv shows would have to add a few more to their scripts.

September 28, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • LiveFree

I love how "Okay....Fine" went for pedophiles, murderers, Mormons and Catholic priests for his/her examples of other groups. That's very telling about his/her mental process.

September 28, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • kv

Big deal. Protestants and Catholics make up the vast majority of Americans, but you rarely find positive representations of those people on television shows. Furthermore, most Americans are overweight, rather plain-looking, have modest incomes, and generally afraid of public speaking. When are we going to see the majority of positive characters like that?

September 28, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • S

This article must be a joke. I have never been inundated with more gayness on tv in my life. Who ever wrote this article should watch Torchwood.

September 29, 2011 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
    • mike

The amount of gay-themed stuff on TV today far outstrips the percentage of GLBTs in real life...

September 29, 2011 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Jessica

@mike, no it doesn't. They are underrepresented.

September 29, 2011 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Frank

I don't want to see this garbage on my tv, or on the street, in a store, or on an airplane. I don't give a crap what people do in the privacy of their own homes – I JUST DON'T WANT THIS IN MY FACE.

September 29, 2011 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Tiger Woods

I'm a billionaire biatch!!! TAKE IT IN THE FACE!!!

September 29, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tim

So..... is it such a big deal?

September 29, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eve

I've noticed over time that it is difficult to get a message posted on the entertainment blog. If you speak generally about Hollywood movie making and its history with gay Americans you will be censored. Notice I didn't say anything positive or negative about Hollywood in this entry and it got posted.

September 29, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  165. Rethink

Like. Like again.

September 28, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  166. brad

Couldn't agree more.

September 28, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  167. John Bear

Thats fine, just make sure you don't show me pictures of your stupid wife and kids everychance you get. I'm tired of hearing how the family life is what I should have.

September 28, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  168. Beowoofwoof

I agree. In a debate you hear, "keep your nose out of my bedroom". No argument from me. But keep your bedroom out of my face.

September 28, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  169. Jessica

As soon as you hetero's keep all references to your spouses, families, kids etc to yourself we will do the same. So when will this happen? NEVER!

September 28, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  170. Robin Carr

I understand your point, should we also have to put up with the senseless straight couples mounting everything that comes along? Where is Barney when you need him.

September 28, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  171. becca

I so agree with you and I am so tired of having their lifestyle being crammed down my throat.

September 28, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  172. farthum

Exactly right! I've never had a strait person say to me "I'm strait" or have a strait pride bumpersticker on their car, but for some reason I can't miss the fact that someone is gay. They sure make sure everyone knows!

I. Don't. Care. Just go away.

September 28, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  173. dkc

I agree why the forcing of an issue. 2% of the population. It is just childish. Keep television for the popular.

September 28, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  174. emdub

Let's talk about having a lifestyle forced on us shall we? I am forced to pay for your children (planned or not) to go to school – it was YOUR choice to have kids not mine. I am forced to pay higher taxes than heteros because I am denied the marriage equality guaranteed me in America due to ignorance cult choice called religion which is CONSTANTLY shoved in my face. Stop being a whiny professional victim and stay the F out of my business and I will gladly do the same; starting with no longer paying for your willful stupidity.

September 28, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  175. eredmond

I agree...

September 28, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  176. Calvin

Like much

September 28, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  177. FYI

As a gay man, I can tell you with certainty that for every one LGBT that advertises with their bumper stickers, flags, etc. there are 100 that don't. Most do it for the pride of who they are, but some treat being gay as an occupation. Tho, without the outspoken in our community, we'd never obtain our equal rights. GLAAD is a little whiney here. Doesn't matter gay characters have decreased in numbers when some very main stream shows with gay stars have been so extremely successful. And to those who say the gay "agenda" is being shoved down your throat, ehehem... IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, DON'T WATCH IT!!

September 28, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  178. Don

I'm so sick of watching straight people kiss and flirt on TV also. We're all subjected to things we don't like tho.

September 28, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  179. googoo

It's an aberration that we've somehow chosen to accept rather then object to. If it's too difficult to change then just accept it. like bestiality....where are the girls and the donkey shows?

September 28, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  180. Joel

Totally agree. The gay agenda has been force fed down America's throat for the last 10 years. I could care less what you do in your bedroom, stop shoving it into our faces!

September 28, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  181. Chris

Doubleplus like. A big blemish on Torchwood: Miracle Day for me was the forced, once-an-episode "Yeargh.that.is.disgusting" moment where Captain Jack makes out with a dude. Look I get it, the character is gay/bi. How about he keeps it to himself, yeah?

September 28, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  182. LEE

Good stuff!

September 28, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  183. Robin Carr

Your butt??? Must ask alot questions then

September 28, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  184. Aaaaaammmmm

You have one in the orifice? And consultation about yer butt? Boy, what HAVE you been doing?!

September 28, 2011 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  185. Andy

Who do you think paid for your stupid ass to go to school?

September 28, 2011 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  186. Give it up

... and when will WE ever accept you? NEVER! Take it to the bank, freak.

September 29, 2011 at 3:25 am | Report abuse |
  187. Speaking Of

Speaking of "freaks", you should really quit looking in the mirror so often for self-identification! It not only makes you look like a narcissist but it reflects your inner self quite well. Take a note of that already.

September 29, 2011 at 6:44 am | Report abuse |
  188. Youre Right

Amen, Don, Amen! They need to curb all of this Straight filth already that we see so often on t.v.! It's destroying the fabric of America and its children by setting the wrong example.

September 29, 2011 at 6:51 am | Report abuse |
  189. Ralph

When I looked in the mirror I saw you bent over takin my rod up your tight ass.

September 29, 2011 at 7:07 am | Report abuse |
  190. Wink Wink

Crammed down your throat? Surely there have been worse things crammed down your throat, ol' Bec!

September 29, 2011 at 7:30 am | Report abuse |
  191. tutuvabene

I put this as a reply because my comment doesn't seem to take otherwise.
    How about more time for serial murderers and the mentally ill? I believe they are on primetime only 0.1% of the time. Perhaps the group doing the tallying for GLAAD can provide a more exact figure, since they seem to have nothing better to do.

September 29, 2011 at 7:39 am | Report abuse |
  192. Boldly Go!

Amen!

September 29, 2011 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  193. Who Cares?

the gay agenda consist of mani, pedi, haircut, dinner, clubbing. Don't see forcing our 'lifestyle' down your throat in it.

September 29, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |