What's the verdict on 'Terra Nova'?
September 27th, 2011

What's the verdict on 'Terra Nova'?

It's been a very long journey for "Terra Nova," first announced by Fox in May of 2010, and then delayed a few times. It finally had its premiere Monday night with an episode that reportedly cost $10 to 20 million (later episodes are estimated to be closer to $4 million).

So, after all the hype, how was it? For starters, that money is definitely there on the screen. Terra Nova, the place itself, is breathtaking. In its own way, the dystopian future we see at the beginning of the show is as well. There's no doubt "Terra Nova" should be up for Emmys next year for visual effects and art direction. [The discussion on "Terra Nova" is continuing over on CNN's Geek Out blog.]

To my surprise, I found that I really cared for the Shannon family, who journey back 85 million years in time as part of a lucky group of settlers who get to "start over" and build a new society, since earth is on its last legs.

Jim ("Life on Mars'" Jason O'Mara), who was sent to jail for the crime of having a third child, ended up sneaking over there with his family (via some kind of time portal, in something of an homage to "Stargate") after escaping prison. But once they get there, "paradise" isn't all it's cracked up to be.

As promised by the promos, there are dinosaurs, looking every bit as good as they did in the "Jurassic Park" movies (this is a Spielberg production, after all), and the first tangle with a dino worked far better for me than the second. Quite frankly, Josh Shannon and his newfound teenage friends didn't give me much of a reason to care whether or not they were on the menu that night.

That being said, the fact that there is a splinter group, the Sixers, and weird geometric carvings on the stones at a waterfall (the closest thing this show got to being like "Lost") intrigued me. After all, Commander Taylor is played by Stephen Lang, and we know from "Avatar" that he might be bad news. The twist that his son has turned against him and is somehow involved in the carvings has me curious enough to watch the rest of the 13-episode season.

I'm just hoping the show will continue to deliver, not just visually, but plot-wise as well. So far, Lang and O'Mara have done a great job leading the cast, and haven't gotten buried in the spectacle of it all.

Even so, it's a crowded Monday night, so chances are that not everyone will stick around for episode two. Will you? Share your thoughts about the premiere on iReport or comment below.

1. byzantine mosaics

Once I initially commented I clicked the -Notify me when new feedback are added- checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get 4 emails with the same comment. Is there any means you'll be able to remove me from that service? Thanks! byzantine mosaics http://ravenvision.ca/orchidshowforum/profile.php?id=676

March 2, 2013 at 4:17 am | Report abuse |
  2. B1975

The premier was the best then every episode just got slow to me. I was looking forward to this but now, American Horror Story is better to me.

October 31, 2011 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  3. billinaustin

already stopped watching after 2.5 episodes. acting is horrible, especially the whiny teen son. plots are not realistic. little build up of tension in scenes. very little show-making craft going on. there was tons more tension in the first 5 min of jurrasic park 3 or 4 (the one with goldblum in the lead) when the rich family is on the beach and the little girl goes exploring...
    i'm afraid most viewers are, shall we say, dumb as a box of (insert favorite inanimate object here) and will only watch drivel...

October 22, 2011 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  4. Tom

Judging by the random samples I get flipping past it occasionally, it is just 90210 with dinosaurs thrown it.

October 20, 2011 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
  5. Mike

I like it but it has the same problem of many dinosaur shows I have seen. Why are the dinos bulletproof? Blazing away with automatic weapons against them should leave a couple carcases around. Get better guns and hunt those suckers. Then open a restaurant and serve Fred Flinstone size portions of dino meat...

October 19, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  6. DaRkThReX

Personally, I'm not going to watch a single show until the entire series has a run, and concludes. I'm tired of getting interested in "Flash Forward, "The Event, "V", "Stargate Universe", "Jericho", and others (the list is endless it seems), only to have the network idiots pull the plug. Therefore, sorry Fox, unless I see at least a 3 year, signed contract/commitment, I'll never turn it on...

October 5, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Terra No Go

I'm with the concensus that it was bogged down with bad dialogue and trite plotlines. Too bad because the premise is interesting. I even liked that it's not just dinosaurs they need worry about but the Sixers. I wish they would have had a more interesting answer for the mysterious rock carvings, and I really could have done without the whiny teen angst. The show seemed to be aimed at 12 year olds.

September 29, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  8. winston smith

Man, what is up with all the positive reviews from critics? The show was TERRIBLE. The effects were bad, the plot was bad, the teen romance was awful, the actors were unconvincing, the plot twists were forced and uninteresting, the drama was stale. I didn't have super high-expectations but after about 10 minutes I was bored out of my mind, and once they got to Terra Nova, the teen romance made it hard to sit through.

September 28, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  9. john

I didn't see the beginning or end, so this question may have been answered. What's with the small calibre weapons? I mean, if you have a big beast, you use a big gun. I would expect to see some Barrett M-82 rifles or 12 gauge slug shotguns. One shot to the head would take out a dino. Small brain or thick skull won't stop a 50cal steel core round (and there are better ones than that). Also with what they have, shoot for the eyes and stay downwind. The tech seems weak when it comes to fighting the opposition (dino's). Then again, it is a Spielberg production so you can expect overly smart, defiant kids and less than survivalist mentality adults.
    I mean, in Jurassic Park II Spielberg missed the chance for the best scene ever. When the Vince Vaughn character removed the rounds from the Pete Postlethwaite charaters rifle, the T-Rex should have eaten the Vince Vaughn character immediately after the Pete Postlethwaite character tried to shoot it. The Irony would have been halarious.

If you going to give them weapons, then give them weapons worth their while.

September 28, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jamie

I liked the show and I think the concept is brilliant. I do think the writing was a little weak and hope that was just an effort to try and introduce the main cast and their own issues as quickly as possible given the 2 hour time limit. Yes the father-son thing was overdone and that needs to be removed from the equation. Lets hope the writers step up their game and give us some plot twists worthy of the concept.

September 28, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  11. JPVBH

At some point Jim says something like "it beats making license plates" when referring to being out of jail. That joke barely makes sense in 2011 and is not funny. Why is a guy from 2149 using it?

September 28, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jimbo

I enjoyed it. The overall idea is certainly interest. I don't play the lottery, but that's certainly a worthwhile prize. Sign me up now.... I like the fact that they didn't spend a lot on big name actors to get the facal recognition crowd. I think it will do well. We live in the best country on the planet. Maybe it is time for a new planet....or timeline on this planet as in this story...

September 28, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Shannon

I likey!! *thumbs up*

September 28, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  14. acc

awful awful writing with even lamer, more boring plot...minus the dinosuars this show totally S–CKS and i will NOT watch it again (spend some of that CGI moola on writers next time Steve and LESS exec producers-i think i counted 10 or 12 aka TOO MANYCOOKS/PRODUCERS DOING THIS SOUP!!)

September 28, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  15. tom

Terra Nova was cool the other night. Fans of Terra Noval will enjoy the brand new "THE ICE GORILLA" book which was written by the Founder of Prehistoric Channel. "THE ICE GORILLA" is being looked at by movie executives and every book sold will help bring this amazing book to the big screen.

September 28, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  16. The Woof

The show was was pretty good but the tech doesn't match. Enough tech to build a time machine but bullet weapons!? C'mon man!! They need to upgrade the weapons somewhat.

September 28, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • fran glass

there was no time machine.

September 28, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tracy

@fran glass – A machine that allows them to trasit the buttcrack of time = Time Machine. I win!

September 30, 2011 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  17. Matt

I enjoyed Espisode 1. However, their long-term future is bleak because future generations will have to survive whatever killed off the dinosaurs to advance the human race from 85 million years ago to modern day. (LOL...The series won't last that long but I found myself pondering that little problem while watching the show.)

September 28, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Jim

From a historic point of view, If the point of the time travel is to start anew ,why would you travel back to a period where the Earth will be almost destroyed by a huge asteroid which wiped out the dinosaurs which cannot be avoided.

September 28, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • fran glass

it is a different reality. I think people posting this point over and over again didn't actually watch the show. In the alternate "time stream" the dinosaurs might have died differently or not at all. I thought it was kind of a dumb show too, but did you actually watch it?

September 28, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  19. fran glass

More than anything the show made me want one of those laser pens that he cut the cup in half with.

September 28, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Disappointed

It was a disappointment, because of the terrible writing I guess. The Dinosaurs looked great, the scenery did until they were up on the ledge looking down at Terra Nova...that was terrible. Back to the plot, they moved too quickly through different and disjointed themes. Dad here. Dad Jail. 2 years later. Dad magically escapes. Oh look there's dad. I can't go without dad! Dad sad little girl doesn't recognize him. 8 seconds later. Little girl calls him Daddy. Suddenly teen boy blames "everything" on dad. H-O-R-R-I-B-L-E. Maybe the fast forwarded plot was just to get us some background for the plot they will move into next. Maybe.

September 28, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  21. P00PINGOUTLOUD

There were no t!ts in this movie, which means it sucked

September 28, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Tom Williams

The usual, teen angst plus super-complicated weaponry add a predictably overbearing lawdad V rebelson situation
    Plot? what plot? Its Jurassic Park on steroids all that is missing is a helicopter exploding, gawd what a yawner!

September 28, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Pliny

Spoiler Alert

The last episode has a comet that hit's the earth and kills everyone.

September 28, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Carolyn

Totally cheesy. The writing was poor and some of the acting too. Watched 15 minutes of it...never will watch again.

September 28, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Robin

I really liked it much to my own surprise. Will watch again!

September 28, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  26. ready

This show is dumb and for idiots

September 28, 2011 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  27. Jara

O'Mara and Lang are over actors and it riuned the show for me! Oh and do TV shows get any more predictable then this! LOL! I could have written this contrived poo. I laughed the whole time I watched, its such a lame rip off of Lost. I would bet money that they will never actually resolve who sent the 6ers and what the markings really mean at least there are dinos rather then a smoke monster! So Im not watching this network mess again! I love my HBO and Showtime

September 28, 2011 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  28. Kristi

I liked it. Of course I liked Space: Above and Beyond, Firefly, Stargate and The Event – all of which are no longer on the air.

I have rarely loved a pilot – there's too much information they are throwing at you for any real development. Give it some time – now that we know who everyone is and why they are there we can start to figure out what's going on and how they'll survive.

I agree most of it was typical, predictable TV drama plotlines, there is probably a very good reason for them. Isn't that the fun of watching TV – seeing what happens next?

September 28, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  29. Kim

@MissTooCynicalMaybe...you must be fun to watch TV with? Really...just sit back and enjoy...no need to micro-manage every detail of the plot. Give it some time...they will work it all out hopefully...that's part of the fun. I thought it was interesting and I hope they do continue to provide more details on life on Terra Nova, that seems to be the best so far. It's a little disconcerting how close to real? this might actually be at least the parts about the Earth's destruction. Can we start paying closer attention to pollution and global warming NOW...I don't want my grandchildren to have never seen an orange or flowers or clouds!

September 28, 2011 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  30. Letcher

Josh Shannon's girlie friend is pretty hot.

September 28, 2011 at 7:32 am | Report abuse |
  31. 250ninja

To my surprise, I found that I really couldn't care less for the Shannon family, or anyone else in the show. If they all got eaten by the dinosaurs I wouldn't really care. The sets are amazing, though inconsistent since some look totally fake, just a large picture in the background. My roommates and I all had high hopes, but ended up saying we would never watch it again. Some didn't even stay for the end of the pilot.

September 28, 2011 at 1:32 am | Report abuse |
  32. leogetz

How can they build a new world when that meteor is on it's way? The one that wiped out all of the Dino's. I agree with stevecast. Get the writers from Breaking Bad or Land of the Dead on board. LotD Now that's one creepy show.

September 28, 2011 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Dom

Well, let's see. There's 20 million years between when Terra Nova is established and the KT meteor event. 20 million years. I think that's long enough for the humans to either a) die out, b) develop technology allowing them to get off the carousel before it explodes or to develop meteor deflecting weapons, or c) for the show to be cancelled :)

September 28, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  33. stevecast

I actually loved both the Event and Falling Skies, so I'm one of those to whom this show is focused. Hated it. Trite, cliché and corny. Get the writers from Breaking Bad on board and you might have something.

September 27, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Jimi

It was okay, but how did he escape from that prison with a small laser? That was a big prison! Even if he can cut through anything with that little laser, he still had to get through the guards, etc. They spent 15,000,000 on the pilot! I guess showing the prison break scene cost too much. Maybe they could've spent some of the money on writers.

September 27, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Outcasts

BBC America shows "Outcasts," which is about humanity on another planet in which previous pioneers splintered off and tension exists. Show for 1/5 the cost and maintains a better story without the whiny children.

September 27, 2011 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • SunDog

Actually, I saw it the other way. TerraNova reminded me of Outcasts, but with a bettter production budget. The handwaving up front to get them there was largely irrelevant. It is a one way trip to a new planet, so we don't care if it is a really new planet, or just a recycled earth. And the teens add a good new dimension. What point is a second chance if you don't have a second generation to build on it?

September 28, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  36. dan

why spend that kind of money producing a show then put it up against monday night football?

September 27, 2011 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  37. G

Ding... did you ever watch the original Beverly Hills 90210?

New family comes to town... check.

Their two fish-out-of-water teenagers have to fit in with a new crowd... check.

Blah, blah, blah, why did we have to move here, I hate you, I want to go home, teenage angst, blah... check.

Love interests quickly established... check.

It's 90,210,000 B.C. or The O.C. B.C. lol. ... again, here's hoping the kids are on the buffet next week because this is not the intelligent sci-fi show we were promised. It's tween drivel for the Twilight crowd.

September 27, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ding

Actually, I did watche the original 90210.

And...again, if that's all you got....a family moves to a new town and the teenagers are upset....sounds kind of realistic to me. Every military kid I know as always upset when they moved to a new town.

September 28, 2011 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
    • JaeB

I don't watch many, if any, popular TV shows, so I didn't know any of the actors. But, I do love sci-fi and this was drek, pure and simple. I pretty much wanted every character to die. And, like much American sci-fi, especially end-of-the-world scenarios, there is wasn't much diversity. A couple of brown background characters, but considering the premise, i.e. changing Earth's past and the reality that humans originated in Africa, the pathetic diversity (kudos for the strong black woman character) was even less tolerable. Beyond that, the plot was kind of stupid and, again, I hated the characters. It's not good when a viewer wants ALL of your characters to die. I would personally pull the switch on the whiny Dad, his son, his British wife, the gruff lead guy and his No. 1 guy. I didn't bother to catch names. Cardboard shouldn't have names.

September 28, 2011 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  38. Tim Ryan

TERRA NOVA, is BORING & A WASTE OF TIME!! Here is the math: TERRA NOVA = 3/4 (JURASSIC PARK – 1 Spielberg) + 1/8 (LOST – 1 J.J. Abrams) + The Bad Guy from AVATAR + A Bunch of DISNEY CHANNEL LEVEL ACTORS. I will say it had 1 good kill scene and the dino effects are half way decent. In the end the Character Development or lack thereof are what does the show in. You find yourself rooting for the Dinos. I doubt this will last past Thanksgiving let alone Feb Sweeps. Dinos, Guns & Humans running around should be TV gold! I was bored!

September 27, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • fran glass

i didn't like it that much either, but you lost me at "1 good kill scene"... is that what makes a show good? ha

September 28, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  39. {=V=}

It was better than i thought it would be. I really cant stand the creep trying to be the sheriff though. Maybe someone will get tired of his facisst BS and off him.

September 27, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Butch

Will stick to netflix.

September 27, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Ding

What about this show is 90210? The fact that it has teenagers or a family? If that's all you got, that's pretty weak.

Admittedly a few weaknesses in the show, but it was the first episode...give them a chance to iron things out.

September 27, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Tully

I had the two-hour episode on TiVo but got bored watching it after fifteen minutes. It was not for me, maybe there were other folks who'd enjoy it.

September 27, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Sean

I initially turned it down and had no intention of watching it, but the more I read about it, the more interested I became. I decided to record it at the last second and am so happy I did. I really enjoyed it and I'll be adding it to my season pass on TiVo!!

September 27, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  44. taxman

I was also disappointed and somewhat bored. It seems like the script writers are recycled from "V" as well as the acting. I was more impressed with Falling Skied than this one. Unless things pick up fast and some major casting changes are made, I doubt this one will last more than 1.5 years (think Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles).

September 27, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  45. No Interest

Indeed Monday night is too crowded. I didn't watch this show. I'll wait for it to go into reruns on FX or some other rerun channel.

BRING BACK EUREKA ON SYFY... PLEASE!!!

September 27, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Henrietta Sewell

I like "Terra Nova".

September 27, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  47. MissTooCynicalMaybe

I wanted to like it. I really did. And I will give it a few more episodes, but it was just so formulaic and utterly predictable.

For example: The whole "running to get to the portal" sequence followed by the "what's in the back-pack?" sequence would have actually had an impact on me if I (and I'm sure just about every other viewer over 13), didn't already realized the third kid was in the back-pack from the moment the father retrieved "it". They must think the audience is all as dumb as dolts now-a-days, what with all this reality tv cud on.

And I'm all for getting rid of the stupid "I hate my daddy/guilty dad" nonsense that wasn't even led up to, rather it was just suddenly there. Sure, they only have so much time to set it up, but whatever. It made the show too melodramatic. You don't always have to add just one more twist.

And the whole 90210 vibe nonsense is going to turn off a lot of viewers who were hoping for some intelligent programming, not yet another pathetic grab for younger viewers with some predictable copy cat style story telling. Guess what writers? If you make it interesting enough without the formulaic teen angst/reality tv/Maury's"Wild Teens Exposed"/My Life as an American Teenager nonsense, younger people might still actually tune in, because in most homes, parents who tune into a show usually results in the kids watching too. If it's interesting enough. Tweens and teens are interested in more than just teen drama. Give them a little bit of credit.

Speaking of the drinking teens, I have a serious problem with the logic of some of the plot points. Like, if you're going to take the very serious and important step of taking a one way trip anywhere, wouldn't you make sure that everyone going is in full agreement to not make mistakes? And wouldn't one of the first rule be, all children, teenagers or not, need to live with their parents or parental figures? What responsible parent here would let there underage child go and live alone with a bunch of other underage children?

And there were a few other plot holes that were kind of distracting. For example, if the Terra Nova people can somehow communicate with future Earth, isn't it about time they tell them, "Hey, we have this Sixer problem here, so maybe you could, like, oh, I don't know, send us an army in the next wave so we can defend ourselves?" Or something. Have them send an army so they can take control of the separatist colony and make sure they behave. Just a thought.

Oh, but that would take away a major plot point, so the writers just hope the viewers forgive all logic and just go with it.
    *sigh* I'm going to try. Because, as much as I can nit-pick it, I didn't totally hate it. But if it goes on like this, it may not catch my interest enough to keep me around.

September 27, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nottoocynical

Totally agree. And what about the reaction to the new world? These people supposedly haven't seen the sun or moon in years (young kids never saw them), their world is a nasty mess, but then they come out into a new bright shiny world and the reaction is just like, Ok, cool, where's my bedroom?

September 27, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leon

I don't understand why so many people are harping about the writer's thinking we are dumb because we didn't know Zoe was in the backpack. that was why Elisabeth went to see Jim. To help him break out of prison and bring Zoe to the portal. It was all explained as Elisabeth, Maddy and Josh were walking to the portal. That's also why Jim gave Elisabeth the backpack before he was asked to step out of line. He wanted to make sure Zoe was safe with her mother. The writers gave us all the clues and accepted we were all smart enough to put 2 and 2 together. I think Terra Nova is one the best shows to come along in years, I wish some people would pay closer attention and listen to what is being said and not be so quick to trash something they don't understand it.

October 27, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  48. @evile420

don't know if it helps,but it's listed in NYC as being rerun on Saturday,from 8-10pm.

September 27, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Wendy

Well, I liked it–but I have low standards when it comes to SciFi, so I can't really speak to the quality. I find the "Swiss Family Robinson" aspects much more interesting than the Sixes and the intrigue. And, those teens were just lame and stupid. I mean, really–is the network trying to attract a teen audience? I'd just knock off the whole teen angst bit and get down to the business of building a community in the midst of dinosaurs and who knows what else? Disease? Locusts? How are they getting the materials to build all those houses? Through the portal? Can they bring cats and dogs to keep down pests,,etc? How do they pay for food? Is it just one big sharing commune? I have a lot of questions, and I'm hoping we get answers and not just melodrama.

September 27, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  50. jessicak

I really enjoyed it.. I can't wait for the next episode.

September 27, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Lila

I loved it especially since since I have such slim pickings for sci-fi. I'm trying not to get too attached though because for some reason Americans don't like that genre.

September 27, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • dan

what TV is currently missing isn't creative concept scifi shows like Terra Nova, Fringe, and Lost. what we need are more shows about police and lawyers please. oh yes, and reality tv. TIC.

September 27, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  52. MadCityBabe

for the all the hoopla regarding this new series, it fell flat with me...............cool technology though. Seemed a little fluff with the acting.....and god, please have the whiny-a$$ son eaten by a raptor or something. he's incredibly annoying and his acting is terrible. Dont care for the teen thang either – the terror scene with the creatures was so not believeable. And if they are only sending people who CAN MAKE A POSITIVE contribution, what's with the Sixers pack?! They are on the same path to destruction as before with the angry black chick storming the castle....common on – stupid plot line – the writers better be on top of things and stay creative and not vomiting old story lines and phrasing I've hear before on better shows!

September 27, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  53. boocat

September 27, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • @boocat

boocat
      "I watched 10 minutes and then turned it off.....boooooring......reycled Jurassic Park with some "Lost" ripoffs."

Uhm..yeah. the first ten minutes was spent in the future. no dinosaurs, no mysterious markings on the rocks, no sixers. Next time you want to make a snap judgement based on what everyone else says, you might want to make a statement that reflects what you actually did. Something along the lines of "I only watched the first 10 minutes, so i only saw the future portion. Then i saw this, read everyone else's comments and copied their opinion on why i didn't like it even though i never even saw those elements of the show." would be quite effective.

Good show, though i agree the whole Guilty Father/Angry Son thing was WAY overdone and some of the actors need to go back to class. Hope they keep it around.

September 28, 2011 at 2:34 am | Report abuse |
  54. Bunny

I liked it, it was like LOST meets LAND OF THE LOST. I could do without the whole "I hate my daddy" stuff and the girl the son meets up with for some reason annoys the stuffing out of me. A little too overacted. But all in all, I liked it and will watch it next week.

September 27, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Selena

My husband and were interested in watching it because of the story and Speilberg but because it's on FOX...no way. FOX consistantly cancels great shows so why get enjoying something that's going to be cancelled later on. "Lie to Me" was their latest casualty. Nothing else like it on tv...and so is Terra Nova...so I bet it's cancelled before the season is done.

September 27, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  56. John

The point of the family is a way to bring in the story line. I didn't mind the focus but the son/father thing was a bit overplayed. Did anyone catch how the cute,rebellious,orpan girl/teenage love interest knew one of the sixers name in the jeep, and the lead sixer said they still have friends in Terra Nova? Oh how the plot thickens. Good show though.

September 27, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Dan

It’s an impressive production and has real potential. The characters are being well developed and, as has been noted, the production spared no effort to give us a realistic Terra Nova.

The script needs some work however. “Troubled teens” is the most over-mined trope in TV drama, and please, please don’t let the plot totally center on mysteries that we discover bit by tiny bit to string us along. Its okay to have some of this as a plot element, but it can’t carry the series ala Lost.

This could be a truly great series if it grapples with the ethical , philisopical and even spiritual questions raised by the situation. They have another chance, how will it be used? Will they develop a culture that doesn’t lead to a future like the one they escaped? Are there indigenous people present? If so, how will their rights be protected?

In short, I’d like to see less Lost and more Avatar in the series.

September 27, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kat

Indigenous people present? Clearly your science education has failed you. Humans as a species are about 2 million years old, while this story takes place 85 million years ago on Earth.

September 28, 2011 at 6:38 am | Report abuse |
    • fran glass

kat – it isn't meant to be our "reality". They didn't just go back in time. Anyhing is possible with that excuse. Did you watch the show?

September 28, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Dot

Why are all the Black people outside the community? I kept saying for the half-a-hour where are all the black folks?

September 27, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • @Dot

There were plenty of black (and latino) people inside the fence. Why o why must some people bring race into everything.

September 27, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • BuTCH

Be real they are the lost tribe who left the messages on the rocks, that says come find us.

September 27, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  59. @evile420

In NY its being repeated on Saturday,from 8-10pm

September 27, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  60. evile420

i missed it! i been wanting to see this but forgot it was starting this week... crap... i wonder if there will be an encore or if i am doomed to be forever lost :P

September 27, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  61. 3D

zombie is soooooo right. i hope they will take his suggestions but doubt they will. looks like it is going to be a 90210 caveman show.

September 27, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  62. kat

Loved it! CG was awesome – gotta love those meat eaters. The story line with the family is fairly expected but will definately watch again. So much better than half the new crap that was released this fall.

September 27, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Sokman

Do they know a giant meteor is headed their way? Surely they realize there were at least two super volcanoe eruptions between the ages of dinosaurs and man that wiped out no less than 75percent of life on Earth... Or are they saving all of this for the end of season cliffhanger?

September 27, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • ELE

Well, don't fret about the fact that Dinos get morphed into birds and the like. I wouldn't worry too much, there were a few mammals left after the strike 65 million years ago.

September 27, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • plots knots and apricots

this is incorrect

September 27, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • fran glass

they are supposed to be in a different "time stream" from our reality... otherwise everything they are doing would be affecting the future. I thought it was kind of dumb too, but that's how they explain it.

September 28, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • HatedTheShow

While I hated the show... I will say that was one of my first questions, and the show actually did a great job (if not a standard fair sci-fi job) of explaining it... they are in another timeline. It may not even be the past... for all they know it's the same exact time as their own, and the planet has stayed that way.

Or, it really is the past, but it's still a new timeline, so one of the known "future" events are actually "known" anymore.

September 28, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • fran glass

HatedtheShow – i wasn't very pleased with it either, but i think that what you just said is the most interesting part of the show. I hope they continue to address the whole "time stream" thing and that it wasn't just a cop out. THAT kind of plot could make the show halfway decent. I just don't want to keep watching "oooo pretty dinosaurs and family values!". That part of it was a huge disappointment.

September 28, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Wendy

It's got me interested to watch it again next week. But I really hated all the commericals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That kind of ruined it for me. They were the same ones over & over. I was into it and than a commerical every 13 minutes. I liked the characters and to me it's well done but those commericals...yippes! Enough!

September 27, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  65. jayhawkin

It was just okay – I expected much more, the whole teenager/dinosaur combat seen was laughable...and the Brady Bunch family was way to soft in such a dire situation – I'll give it one more shot...but It better be good.

September 27, 2011 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
    • TexAZ

Have to agree – I am on the fence after the lackluster pilot, but the remainder of the episodes better pick up rather quickly if they expect to maintain any kind of momentum.

September 27, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  66. G

Disappointed... was expecting a realistic sci-fi drama, instead we get a formulatic tween/teen Beverly Hills 90210 type show with dinosaurs. Brenda and Brandon and Donna and Kelly and Dylan... they're all here and, yay, they're all completely normal, uber healthy, beautiful, trendy, oblivious, and totally unaffected by the end-of-times toxic environment they came from. ........ here's hoping the carnos and slashers make a quick buffet out of them next week and the show moves on to more intelligent storytelling.

September 27, 2011 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Curmudgeon

Right on! If there was a missing cliche,either in plot,chacters, or dialog, I don't know what it was. Thinking adults beware. Fodder for transformers lovers, ages 12 to 20.

September 27, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  67. zombie

Ditch the son and ramp down the guilty dad with anger issues. Try really hard to focus on the entire group vs dinosaurs angle. Whatever you do don't dwell on one family's angst and help them realize how lucky they are to get a do-over. Focus on the wildness of the entire scenario and for jebus sake, DON'T turn this into a maudlin soap opera. Dazzle it up with more dinosaurs. Get your head wrapped around a plausible story and entertain us! It's the only job you have. Earn your keep and keep us from cable. You have more invested in this that we do; focus!

September 27, 2011 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Miranda

I expected a lot higher quality than I got. Loved the premise but that's about all. 200 yrs in the future nobody has evolved. Dad has anger issues, both parents don't believe in rules or taking care of the kids they have and birth another one. The teenagers all think, talk, act like they are at summer camp with no responsibilities or consider what they do might cause them to die or others to die at any second so they go play in the woods. There is million dollar technology that allows them to transport people via a rift but they have to climb a fence and chop down vines with a machete! Nobody shooting the big expensive guns can aim because the dinosaurs didn't even look wounded. Stereotyped stories and characters. If it doen't pull me in next episode, I'm done. I had hoped for so much more per their ads and claims.

September 28, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Truthwillsetyoufree

Horrible script. Tired of the same old mind bending opportunity and the stupidest people on the planet. This is typical NBC type weak nothing new script. The premise is good. Could be done better but you dont send stupid people into situations like this, dumb script... Same old story, build a whole new world and send the most hateful stupid people. Not realistic and just another mainstream tv crap.

September 27, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  69. val

lousy acting and predictable.

September 27, 2011 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  70. Paul McDougall

Jurassic Park meets Avatar? More like Barney meets The O.C. (and who wrote the script, Spielberg's 8-year-old nephew?)

September 27, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Lynda

A 2 hour snoozefest...I expected way more based on the line up of producers, directors and writers. Typical TV fare, seen it all before and the effects weren't really all that great. In this day an age of special effects, we expect better. There was obvious disconnect between the actors and the GCI dinasaurs. Many of the background things didn't make sense in this situation – the housing for the chosen? Reallly? They can have all that space and really nice living quarters and all that food just laying around? The new comers aren't briefed on the security situation (which is stupid btw). The dying eath spends all of that money and resources on this instead of cleaning up the planet? I love SCIFI and know you have to take the leap to see the possibilities, but this isn't SCIFI at all. It is Land of the Giants silliness. And speaking of the dying earth thing – How in the heck are these people so healthy, so tanned, so perfect with the whitest of white teeth and beautiful hair? But they can't breathe the air and there isn't any real food. Good Grief.

September 27, 2011 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  71. 3D

I keep thinking the time portal thing is a Stargate.

September 27, 2011 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  72. The Måd Råp3r

I thought the Sleestaks were really scary and well done. I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot more of them in the series.

September 27, 2011 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  73. 3D

If the travel is only 1 way, how did they get a message back to their original location requesting the doctor lady ? It indicated they can communicate with the -homeworld-. How ?

September 27, 2011 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
    • fran glass

i wondered the same thing. Maybe it isn't direct communication and they send messages IN with each new group, but can't send them back out? That was the only thing i could come up with. I hope they explain it... if i continue to watch.

September 28, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  74. LS in Ohio

I thought it was awful. The dialog was plodding, the plot predictable, and the characters dull or annoying. Decent special effects cannot make up for the fact that we've all seen this before, and done better. There is no tension or intrigue because there is no one to care about. Maybe they made the time portal out of one of the huge plot holes.

September 27, 2011 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
    • the dude

I am going to have to agree with you... i really expected more out of this, granted it is the pilot, but just seemed dull... and although the article said it had "lost" moments, i actually thought that while watching it. I think the visuals were fine... however i think it was eye candy really, and didnt seem to push the story along.

September 27, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  75. scifiguy

patNY is 100 percent correct. the storyline focusing on the rebellious teen and law dawg buttholedad is lame.

September 27, 2011 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  76. slhrby

I am a big Jurrasic Park fan and I really enjoyed this show! I am hoping that it continues to be attention grabbing and exciting. I can see how they put so much money into the first episode. Terra Nova is someplace I wouldn't mind adventuring to in the future :)

September 27, 2011 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  77. patNY

Tracy, they didn't invent a time machine, they discovered a rift/portal that goes back in time, along a different time line, and they just figured out how to go through it.

That said, I liked it, but give me a break with the daddy wasn't there cause he blew his top off and got into jail so I hate you stuff..

I hope the carvings have something to do with aliens.

September 27, 2011 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Tracy

Ok, so they can figure out how to go through a rift/portal that goes back in time, along a different time line, but they can't figure out how to build a really big air filter?

Still... I liked it, it was entertaining.

September 27, 2011 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  78. Tracy

I mostly liked it, but my big question is why can they invent a time machine but not a really big air filter?

September 27, 2011 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Thomas, Baton Rouge, LA

awesome:)

September 27, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
    • gak209

because they didn't actually make a time machine. they found a "rift in time" as they explained in the show and that rift sends them back to an alternate point in earths timeline, not their own timeline, solving the problem of destroying their own timeline with mistakes they make there. they found a rift and learned how to exploit it by sending probes through it.

September 27, 2011 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Tracy

@gak209
      Ok, so they can find a rift and learned how to exploit it by sending probes through it, but they can't figure out how to build a really big air filter? :)

Still... I liked it, it was entertaining.

September 27, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nagrom

Maybe building the air filter wasn't an option anymore...the damage to the ecosystem and the planet would take centuries to recover? One could question why preventive measures weren't put into place at an earlier point in time as the situation was building up. Maybe because politicians and scientists debated over it for far too long and it was classified as not being a threat but they miscalculated and things turned out to be worse than predicted. Or, if there was a huge war before, then environmental issues could have been designated issues of the least importance. Or, some natural event occurred a meteor/irte or an asteroid cam crashing down or numerous volcanoes erupted or a deadly virus came by that sabotaged the ecosystem and plants on earth could all be hypothetical reasons or factors.

I won't let a simple logical reasoning upset the story. lol =)

September 28, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Dave

Really, really good question!

September 28, 2011 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  79. Alicia

I LOVED IT!!! What's not to love? Dinosaurs, 85 millions years ago in jungles, carvings, ability to travel in time, Spielberg...All of these appeal to me. I absolutely loved the show. I will definitely watch it again. It does remind me a little of Falling Sky but aliens have been replaced by dinosaurs. :) There were definitely some holes in the story already but overall I was very impressed with the quality of the effects and the beauty of Australian jungle. I think it will be a hit show!!!

September 27, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  80. LadyJ

Next episode, I want you all to close your eyes when Commander Taylor speaks and tell me he doesn't sound exactly like Spotswood from Team America...LOL. With that said...my husband and I liked it...a lot! Can't wait for next week

September 27, 2011 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  81. scifiguy

I really didnt care for the character played by Jason Omara. I hope they dont ruin the program by placing too much focus on him. Maybe they can make him more likeable as the show progresses.

September 27, 2011 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  82. n@te

I want to like it but really do not care for the sheriff fella named Jim. I hope they will leave the crime drama out of it.

September 27, 2011 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |