'Sperm Donor' documentary comes to Style
September 27th, 2011

'Sperm Donor' documentary comes to Style

It's finally come to this.

Just when we thought the TV industry had run out of ideas in terms of reality shows, the folks over at the Style Network present us with the documentary "Sperm Donor."

The one-hour show follows Ben, a donor whose generosity has led to more than 70 children – that he knows of.We meet Ben and his fiancee, who says it's "overwhelming" to imagine that her future husband has that many biological children out there. And of course some of the kids want to meet him.

Check out a clip of the show, which premieres tonight on Style as part of their "Style Exposed" specials.

Filed under: television

1. click here

I've been exploring for a bit for any high quality articles or weblog posts on this kind of area . Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this website. Studying this information So i'm satisfied to show that I've a very good uncanny feeling I discovered exactly what I needed. I most no doubt will make certain to don?t fail to remember this site and give it a glance on a relentless basis.

October 8, 2012 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  2. rutas en bicicleta asturias

Ich bin beeindruckt, muss ich sagen. Wirklich selten begegne ich ein Blog, das sowohl lehrreich und unterhaltsam ist, und

July 28, 2012 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
  3. cursos gratis online

bin sicher, dass Ihre Arbeit deutlich wird, wie ein faires Spiel identifiziert. Beide Jungen und M�dchen f�hlen sich deze

July 24, 2012 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
  4. netflix gratis

buen dia acabo de enterarme de tu blog y la verdad es que me parece super bueno no sabia de mas personas interesadas en estos temas, aqui tienes un nuevo lector que seguira visitandote constantemente.

July 17, 2012 at 4:17 am | Report abuse |
  5. cestas de navidad

yo he debido a unos peque�o piedra de arena mandando mensajes para permitir

May 29, 2012 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Emma

I can't believe that donor's are allowed to have contact with their offspring and that Style is condoning this ridiculous and irresponsible behavior. No one person can be responsible for 70 children and they are completely disregarding the fact that these children's emotions and well being will be affected when they meet their donor parent. Technology is amazing as are all of the options it brings but donor's should remain anonymous – they are NOT the parent and no one should confuse the children that way. Shame on Ben and the child's mom who took her kids to meet him.

October 2, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Robin

I think he was so stupid.. and as for his now wife, she made her bed, she knew what she was getting into and when the children come a calling, she better be prepared for what goes with having 70 plus children. There are plenty of children that need to be adopted. Ya sure the money was great but he didnt even represent what a disaster he was creating. what a PUTZ.... so he will get what he gets, hes a lawyer and hell know how to rape the system if need be.

October 2, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  8. sandy

I think it is a wonderful gift to be able to have a sperm donor so that a woman is able to have a child. However, there should be some laws preventing the sperm to be used so many times and creating so many siblings or half siblings. I also feel the mother of Ben's 2 children should have thought twice before she made the decision to have her children meet Ben. They were entirely too young and now may have to deal with abandonment issues if they do not have an ongoing relatioinship with Ben. My heart went out to the little girl when she spoke to her mother and she clearly was too young to understand the situation. How is she going to feel not seeing him on a regular basis? It is one thing to tell your children, when they are young and growing up, about being a donor baby but maybe there should be laws that the child may contact the donor when he/she is 18 yrs. of age.

September 30, 2011 at 7:22 am | Report abuse |
  9. Kazzy

The show is quite interesting. 70+ kids is a lot of kids. My beef (already) is the fiancee. Not that her concers r not important; however, she needs 2 go if she can't accept he was a donor. Ben did the rite thing in telling her the truth b4 them getting married. The only decision she has ... Acceptance of the past or 2 get away from him!!

September 29, 2011 at 3:42 am | Report abuse |
  10. KD

I'm watching the show now. Even though it's wonderful that some of Ben's offsprings are forming new relationships and bonding as siblings, i'm finding some aspects of the show very sad. My father died when i was age 6 so I can relate to wishing for a father figure in my life. Seeing the younger children's reaction to him and desperately wanting him to keep them in his life countered by his reaction to not wanting to continue a relationship with them was just heart breaking to watch. i understand tha fatherhood is not what he thought he signed up for but the reality of if it is he is their father. His offsprings are human beings with strong desire to connect to their bilological parent and expecting these children to suppress their genuine and justifiable hopes are proposterous. i think it was a bad idea for the kids to meet him(particularly at that young of an age) Even though the mother explained as best she could how they were conceived I still feel the children will feel rejected, unloved or abandoned. these children were being set up for utter disappointment. that little girl wanted so much for him to say now that we met, I can't imagine not having you on my life. I have to question his moral character at his complete disconnect. even his fiance saying she wanted him all to her self was making me dislike this process evn more. he made the decision to donate an dto put his name on the website so he should man up. Yes, The sperm bank was completelynegligable and immoral for using his sperm that many times but thatt doesn't chage the fact that these kids expect him to acknowledge them when and if they reach out. Just bc they all had preconceived notions how process works, doesn't make it morally right .

September 29, 2011 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
    • lisa

it also doesn't make it morally right that donor ben donated at fairfax cryogenic in virginia and then went to new england cryogenic, lied (on paper and verbally) about never donating before. his new england cryogenic donations were made after 2005, when he was made aware of the huge number of offspring that were already born. disconnected is an understatement.

May 13, 2012 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  11. Cadence Lowe

Look what happens when it all goes wrong. Adults have to take second place, behind the best interests and rights of connection of the child. http://cadencelowe.com/

September 28, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  12. boarddog

OMG!
    I'm going to start a reality show about people with ingrown toenails.

September 28, 2011 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  13. jerkinthegherkin

Really? the had to go with THAT header...or am I looking too deep into "comes to Style"

September 28, 2011 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  14. IFHP

Life is hereby reduced to a product of male bodily fluids and shameless, desperate women. If the world does end in 2012, we certainly have it "coming." Unfortunately, I don't think we're going to "get off" that easily.

September 28, 2011 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  15. JJDLS

You have got to be kidding me. So the guy is good at um j*cking off and they make a show about him??? sheesh another stupid show I'll never watch

September 28, 2011 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  16. Pressman

Back in '92 I had a girlfriend who wanted a daily donation in her mouth and that was some of the best 4 months ever...imagine that, she was a mental case.

September 28, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  17. Rock

As an adopted child, I say....rub one out or get it rubbed out for you and stop overpopulating this planet gdi

September 28, 2011 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  18. Catca

There are different cryobanks out there. The reputable ones have geneticists on staff who monitor successful pregnancies by region and ensure that the number of children conceived from one donor remains small so the genetic pool does not potentially get corrupted. Of course the laws are behind the technology so its up to the clinics themselves to self impose ethical standards. Ben's story is atypical and the not norm with sperm donors. So my problem with the reality show is the same problem I have with the tremendous media coverage over Nadia Suleman. Both cases are atypical and go against industry ethical standards. The media coverage is unbalanced and implies that the fertility industry has run amok, which is not the case. This can have a negative impact on public policy, etc. So, yes, it's not just a matter of not watching an irresponsible program – the damage is still done.

September 28, 2011 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
    • DJ

Thanks for posting this. 1 in 8 couples experiences infertility at some point, and most of those couples pursue medical treatment for the condition as a first option for expanding their family. That's millions of people in this country that use, or have used, fertility treatments of some kind, yet all we hear about in the media is the Octomoms and other anomalies. I'd love to see better media coverage of the actual state of fertility problems and treatments.

September 28, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Lukas

Sharon, no doubt your husband could hurt somebody, at 320 Lbs that is totally overweight and that might be the reason why he shoots blanks: OBESITY. He needs to get down to a 180 – 200 Lb of healthy weight.

September 28, 2011 at 7:53 am | Report abuse |
  20. JCD

I hate reality TV, but since it costs so little to produce they'll keep making more shows until they run out of ideas. I'm not a big fan of artificial insemination, and don't understand people's need for biological children. If you really want to be a parent, you should be able to be a mother to any child, not just one with your blood in its veins. But that's just my opinion as an adult adoptee. There's plenty of kids in the domestic system who need parents, they just don't happen to the the infant, white babies from parents with good medical backgrounds like so many families want.

September 28, 2011 at 7:42 am | Report abuse |
  21. Sharon

Why should I be told to adopt? What the hell is so wrong with me wanting to carry my own child to term? I hate when people who have never been through fertility issues think it's ok to say adopt. And to the guy who said some men are shooting blanks and not ready to battle, my husband is 6'4", 320lbs and could hurt you!

September 28, 2011 at 7:26 am | Report abuse |
    • secuencia

... and adopting is very difficult, yes I have the same opinion as you sharon, you wanted to feel that baby, your own baby inside you, so you did it this way, good for you!!!!

October 3, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Barry Fear

@Namaste we used to do just that in this country it also made sure you weren't marrying someone of the same s*x and that neither one of you was carrying a s*xually transmitted disease.

September 28, 2011 at 1:31 am | Report abuse |
  23. Namaste

What's next, a DNA test before you get married to make sure you're not marrying your half-brother/sister? I give up.

September 28, 2011 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
  24. The Duke

just proves that some of us are fully loaded and ready for battle, and some of you are just shootin blanks! yee haw! let's drain some more baby batter from the Python of Love!

September 27, 2011 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  25. politbureau

I'm looking forward to him being hit with a raft of child support lawsuits in the second season.

September 27, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  26. meep

Adopt and save a life, there are millions of children who need good parents. There are plenty of wonderful children out there!

September 27, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • what??

yea – if you can afford all the fees. and by the way, of the millions of children out there, only about 1/2 can be adopted due to legal and governmental issues.

September 28, 2011 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  27. Lucky Jill

As a child conceived through artificial insemination from an anonymous donor, I am very excited to watch the show. At 36 now, I am very thankful to my donor for donating. I get around the "will I ever marry my sibling" by simply asking key questions when dating someone. "was your father a doctor." (my donor was) and "were you conceived through artificial insemination?". Just a slight inconvenience in order to have life. :)

I dream of one day meeting a half sibling. I hope this show draws attention to the donor sibling registry so that maybe I can find a sibling one day.

September 27, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Dee

@Veritas, you have no idea what you are talking about, and quite truly you represent the sad part of our society. You criticize what you do not understand. All the infertility in our part of the world caused by exposure to chemicals, certain foods, types of employment ... that people had no idea would happen. Shame on your ignorance.

@meep, I hope your statement is innocent, otherwise it is quite vile. The adoption "racket" has turned into a horrible experience ... especially the private side of it, people wanting to have children being taken advantage of emotionally and financially. Is it still worth it to adopt? Yes. Does anyone truly want to go through the emotional rollercoster? No. Life is already stressful enough.

I do think the show is uncalled for, and rather opportunistic on the part of the donor.

September 27, 2011 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • meep

Why intentionally bring more children into a world where there are millions of children starving to death?

September 27, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Veritas

Yeah, you're right, I guess it's okay for infertility to be "unfair" and that all options be exhausted for the sheer purpose of procreation because it's such a necessity to society. The ends always justify the means. I want a kid so let's do literally whatever it takes to make it happen. Shame on me for having an opinion.

September 27, 2011 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • JeramieH

Wow, there was no infertility until it was caused by our modern age? I've learned something new!

September 27, 2011 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  29. deinm

disgusting

September 27, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  30. mary

I already know I'm going to hate this show.
    It is totally ridiculous that anyone could donate sperm to bring into this world over 70 children.. who could very possibly meet another sibling, not knowing, Fall in love and find out either though genetic problems with their children or by accident..
    What a horrible thing this is to have used his sperm to bring into he world so many children.
    who ever is at fault.. Should be charged with a crime.

September 27, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • JeramieH

A chance meeting between any two of 70 people out of 6 billion. Yeah, I stay awake at night over that one.

September 27, 2011 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • eclair

@JeramieH: Actually, many of them live in the same area, so it is a possibility. People don't usually travel 100s of miles to donate or receive sperm from a sperm bank.

September 28, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Julie

Is this show on tonight? If so which station is airing it?

September 27, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Ashley

Why is this on Style network. This really really doesn't seem like it has to do at all with Style.

September 27, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • JeramieH

Animal Planet has shows about ghosts, SciFi has wrestling, MTV doesn't have music, G4 shows Cops, AMC shows "original productions", History channel has Ice Road Truckers, and don't even get me started on Discovery or TLC...

September 27, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  33. The Duke

Me & my frat buddies all signed up to donate our DNA for extra money. We called it "shucking for bucks"! paid for a few keg parties that way!

September 27, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Beautiful Vixen

Lol..Ben was a busy man.

September 27, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Sharon

As a married women who could not get pregnant and had to turn to a sperm donor to conceive our daughter, I am looking forward to this show. If you have never had to go to a cryo bank count your lucky stars. Our donor is our hero! We will never get to meet him. We will never get to say "thank you!!". It's only "stupid" if you have never had to live it!

September 27, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • AI

Hi Sharon. I'm nearly 30 years old and donor-concieved. I've found half siblings, though not my donor. So yea, I've "lived it." And I think this sort of thing being the premise for a reality tv show is utterly stupid. :| I'm very glad for you, your spouse, and your child(ren) that you had somewhere to turn, though. Fertility technologies are near and dear to my heart. I'd hate to see them met with the same ignorant criticism that many other reality tv concepts have been.

September 27, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • meep

why not adopt?

September 27, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • mary

Yes.. Unitl you find out your child is in love with their sibling and must go through the heart ache of having to give them up..
      Or worse has a child with their brother or sister..
      Did you know the possibility of so many children born from one sperm doner? This is criminal...
      No one man was supposed to be allowed to give so much.. so how did it happen..?
      There should not be a show.. There should be a criminal investigation..~!

September 27, 2011 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • donde estas

donde estan mis comentarios Ben is great and he should do it more often, he has beautiful kids.

October 3, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Really

This is so stupid... I am sick of Reality TV

September 27, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • yeasayer

I watched this show last night. It was tastefully done, addresses issues, and can serve as a conversation starter.

October 2, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |