Dakota Fanning: No sweatpants on campus
September 26th, 2011

Dakota Fanning: No sweatpants on campus

Former child star Dakota Fanning is starting her freshman year at NYU, but don’t expect her to dress like a typical sloppy student.

“If you ever catch me in sweatpants in class, that’s not good,” the 17-year-old actress joked to People during NYC's Fashion Week. “I’ve tried not to dress like that.”

Well, she is a movie star.

Dakota recently relocated from Los Angeles to the Big Apple for college, and she’s enjoying the freedom.

“Going to college is a bit different than going back to high school,” she shared. “You can kind of wear whatever you want, and I had a uniform in high school.”

We imagine designer pal Marc Jacobs may help out in the wardrobe department; Fanning is the face of his brand’s new fragrance, Oh, Lola!

1. Smock

NYU, lmao.

October 25, 2011 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  2. rtbrno65

To the tune of the "Beethoven's 5th Symphony" intro:

"Who the hell cares..."

"Who the hell cares..."

October 21, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Keith

I wore sweatpants last night.

October 21, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  4. the_dude

Wow she got homely.

October 20, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Drew

I think she's making a statement about how she thinks dressing well is a part of being a lady, regardless of being in college. I always admired the women that looked nice even though they didn't have to try.

But I bet she'll dress messy sooner or later. We all do it.

October 8, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  6. TJ

Clearly the writer of this article hasn't done any research and as a result, has no knowledge of what she is writing about. NYU is filled with pretentious students and is ranked as having one of the best dressed student bodies in the states. Methinks not too many students are wearing sweat pants to begin with.

October 8, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Some people do wear sweats to class, we even have hoodies to match. But those are primarily the CAS people. In the winter. With boots. And at least 1 scarf. If you are business, its suit and tie/pants-suit, and if its the drama kids, it is going to be whatever is in. This is where the discussion about what her major becomes important.

PS In general though, we dress well, no doubt about that.

October 13, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • MC

"Methinks" you are an imbecile.

October 24, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark C

Oh, and anybody who wears a suit and tie to class, regardless of major, ought to be taken out and shot for the general betterment of mankind.

October 24, 2011 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Dakotafied

Now that she's legal....

October 5, 2011 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
  8. clint317

Oh, I thought she was going natural, that would have been cool and worthy of being a "story". No story here.

October 3, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Ronald Reagan

Whats wrong with her face? she has the same body as when she was 10.

September 29, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  10. jACKsPARROW

If your comment is longer than the article, you have too much time on your hands. Go do something useful.

September 28, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Thomas

You mean to tell me that a state that has gay marriage won't let you wear sweatpants?! Oh my god, what's this world coming to. An end.

September 27, 2011 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  12. Allen

I see some very boring comments here. Good luck with school Ms. Fanning.

September 26, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  13. nancine

Is Effie about doo doo ? That would be a good movie then.

September 26, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Mel_M

With seven new movies–two in post-production now–announced for Dakota this year, I expect (and hope) that, by the end of 2012, we'll have more about Dakota to discuss than her fashion sense and activities. After all, it was her talent as an actress, precociousness, and charm that drew me to her in the first place. IMO, these and her education are most important and will be the real foundation of her career–not fashion.

(BTW, having read a recent bio of Effie, I believe that the newly announced biopic "Effie" (starring Dakota as Effie), at least has the potential to be, by far, her best movie yet.)

September 26, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  15. heather

I live in a very casual city & sometimes i go rrrrrgggh! really? drop the birkenstocks and socks! i've gotten to the point agewise where fashion abandons you, but that is ok because you can chart your own way. of course not trying to look like an eccentric old lady with

September 26, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • youngverorep

Fashion should never "leave you." As you get older it gets more and more important to look appropriate. 30 year old women wearing sweatpants out and about is trashy (as well as males), usually means that person is lazy and not a hard worker. If you don't care aabout you appearance, why would an employer think you care about anything?

October 5, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Anomic Office Drone

Stories like this are silly, but I do like that maybe this signals a trend of people looking less sloppy. I'm sick of everyone looking like they just rolled out of bed. What's so bad about taking a shower and wearing pants that aren't preceded with descriptors like "lounge" or "pajama"?

September 26, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mel_M

"...Signals a trend"? .... Maybe.

Don't know, but NYC's Fashion Night Out (Sept 8) gathered crowds out-and-about for the evening. I'd never heard of it until I ran on to it while reading Dakota news. I found out that it started in NYC just a few years ago and has now spread to some other cities around the world. I was surprised about FNO's popularity, and don't know what to make of it; maybe more people would like to add a little more glam to their lives–a good thing, I believe.

September 26, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  17. chantal

That post is too long. Plus you didnt mention her wearing sweatpants with doodoo logs in the back.

September 26, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Mel_M

This was an online "People" mag story the other day; the interview was done at a "Marc Jacobs bash" during Fashion Week. Of the 100+ comments received, one commenter, "yikes," wrote: "Both of my sons recently graduated from NYU. Pretty much no one wears sweatpants to class."

I suppose a story about fashion fit the occasion, but I'd much rather it had been about what she's studying and how she sees it's relation to her career. Natalie Portman studied psychology, and, according to her Wikipedia page, even co-authored two published research papers. Anyway, I'd find it hard to believe Natalie's education didn't help her with her superb performance in Black Swan. Anyway, IMO, what Dakota plans to study is important. She's a remarkable young actress, and I have high expectations and hopes for her.

September 26, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  19. dose'

@Boooo. Its according to how cute or pretty the girl is. If she is cute she could wear a turnip sack and it would look great. If she is an uggo then she will be an uggo no matter what she wears.

September 26, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Boooo

GREAT! Being a college student does not mean you should not take pride in your appearance. I'm not saying people have to dress like they're on a runway either (like my first alma mater). That said, there are some cute sweatpants like Victoria's Secret Pink.

September 26, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  21. dose'

Id ruther see her in sweat pants than unner pants. She aint a real purty girl.

September 26, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  22. dose'

I keep hearing how she is supposed to be pretty and a wonderful actress. I just dont see it myself.

September 26, 2011 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  23. Jenny Ann

Shut up Lisa.

September 26, 2011 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Boooo

Waaaaa! Did she hurt your feelings? Get over yourself.

September 26, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Boo Hoo

Grow up hag! Lisa is right, people like you are pathetic....don't read the darn article if it doesn't interest you!!!

October 23, 2011 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  24. LISA

then why read it if you did not want to know about her

September 26, 2011 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  25. Jenny Ann

Okay wear what you want,this isn't news.

September 26, 2011 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
    • CuriousG

Please do not click on articles that you do not want to read. Good Luck and best Wishes to Dakota!

September 28, 2011 at 7:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Lean6

The comments all over this page CAN'T be from adults...I refuse to believe it. I for one am refreshed that when I click on an article about Dakota Fanning that she hasn't made the Hollywood botox and plastic girl transition. She's a natural beauty, and I hope she stays this way. I'm sure some of you people simply need to look in the mirror without beer goggles on.

September 30, 2011 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Guest

As long as she does an obligatory clam flash when she turns 18 like all the other starlets she can wear whatever she wants

October 21, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Pliny

Great post traci.

Did you have a procedure done when you were 5 years old...something to stop you from growing intellectually and humorously?

September 26, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |