The morning after on 'The Big Bang Theory'
September 23rd, 2011

The morning after on 'The Big Bang Theory'

Thursday night's back-to-back episode season premiere of "The Big Bang Theory" continued along the same path as last season, dealing with romantic entanglements among the group and their various repercussions.

Chief among them was the fact that Raj and Penny slept together on the season finale - or so we thought.

It turns out that just as the two were about to do the deed... well, as Raj described it to Penny, "that's all she wrote."

It was a nice, clean ending to that particular incident, but Bernadette's angry description of Raj as a "cutie pie" to his face means that we may yet see some trouble brewing for Howard on that front.

As usual, Amy Farrah Fowler stole every scene, explaining to Penny, "When your prefrontal cortex fails to make you happy, promiscuity rewards you with the needed flood of dopamine. We, neurobiologists, refer to this as the 'skank reflex.'"

This episode actually didn't have a whole lot of Sheldon, except when he took one for the team by getting shot in super slo-mo by paintballs. "If there's ever gonna be a Church of Sheldon, this will be where it started," he pointed out.

Congrats, however, to Penny for her first big commercial, even if it is "rose-scented Preparation H for women."

The second episode gave us an Amy scene for the ages, as she played the harp to the tune of "Girl from Ipanema." Brava!

Sheldon's fear that Penny's chair was infested with bugs in this episode didn't particularly wow me, but Leonard's miserable failure at a long-distance relationship with Priya - and Howard and Raj's attempts to help with that - had me rolling.

I'm not sure I can ever erase the image of Howard and Raj using the gadget they invented to inadvertently make out with each other. In any case, it was one of the funniest things this show has ever done.

What did you think of the premiere? Any more favorite moments? Share your view on iReport or post a comment.

1. bob

the kissing was funny but was it on the topic for the eposide to have it on their, It was so funny, but not cool or nerdy for the show and gross

October 5, 2011 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  2. AGuest9

Well, I'm a geek, love comedy such as Monty Python, Robin Williams and the old SNL (1975-1987), but I get nothing in terms of comedy from this show, other than the Rock-Paper-Scissors-Lizard-Spock game. It's like Friends with a higher IQ, but I don't find it any funnier.

October 4, 2011 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  3. Hellsbells

This is a really good comedy, keep it up writers and actors, no violence, yeah!!

October 3, 2011 at 5:04 am | Report abuse |
  4. Lee in Arizona

Fell in love with this show from the beginning, the funniest thing on TV in a long time....the chemistry between all the cast members is terrific.... the writers hit the jackpot.... I hope its on forever.....

October 2, 2011 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  5. smartel

I really love that show. One of the few intelligent sitcoms we are bombarded with. A lot of good humor and no violence for a change. Rrefreshing and hilarious, the writers of the show know their stuff well.

September 30, 2011 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  6. lynnewa

love this show! and i really loved the final shot of the chair (back on the curb), it totally made my day. i know people who actually pick up stuff off the curb and man, it makes me itch to think of what they are taking home. penny's big break! yay penny! and riding a horse too. made me laugh... well the whole show makes me laugh.

September 29, 2011 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  7. mejazzbo

I'm hoping this show is going to be around for a long time. The US needs to laugh at something more profound than the Republican debates.

September 28, 2011 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  8. Weimtrainer

Awesome stuff. Laughed until I hurt.

September 27, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Emma

Episode 1 of the new season had a badly written script to start off with – quite disappointed when caomparing with any episode- too crass & vulgar- very unlike the jokes in all other episodes

September 26, 2011 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  10. bajan_girl

Absolutely funny. One of the best comedies on television.

September 26, 2011 at 7:56 am | Report abuse |
  11. Sokman

This show is hilarious, and actually quite educational if you can keep up with the little eggheads. I have no idea what they're talking about at times, but its definatly one of the smartest dumb shows on right now.

September 24, 2011 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
  12. June '76

I love geek appeal.

September 23, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Marta

I loved the whole thing with the chair! And the scene when Sheldon 'took it for the team" in paintball. LOVE this show!!!

September 23, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Kay Winter

I agree. The kissing contraption was hilarious! The writers on the Big Bang Theory are really clever. They know their characters well.

September 23, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Rod in Texas

This show is soooo funny. My favorite scene was where Sheldon kept knocking on Penny's door trying to convince her to get rid of the chair and on the final time, she opens the door with the red cushion and the scream Sheldon made nearly made me pee. I laughed so hard.

September 23, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Observer

More liberal slop. Give us more conservative entertainment like "Blue Bloods" or "NCIS"...

September 23, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • comeon

watch Billy the Exterminator or Hoarders

September 23, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rod in Texas

Oh yeah, because they are scientist and not evangelical preachers, that makes them liberal. Are you really that uptight?

September 23, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jane

And I really thought people were exaggerating when they said right wingers had no sense of humor.

September 25, 2011 at 7:34 am | Report abuse |
    • weimtrainer

Oh yeah, we're almost out of insipid,predictable, rehashed, boring cop shows to watch. We wouldn't want to inject any laughter into our lives when we can spend our time wondering "whodunnit" for the millionth time. I Love Big Bang and I am not a liberal, which goes to show that not all conservatives are stuffy, boring windbags, but I'm afraid you fit the stereotype pretty well.

September 27, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |