Intriguing concept carries 'Person of Interest'
September 23rd, 2011

Intriguing concept carries 'Person of Interest'

What if, say, Bill Gates or Steve Jobs were hired by the government to create the technology to monitor all of the security cameras everywhere in the country? That's part of the concept of "Person of Interest," which premiered on Thursday night.

A big weapon in the series' arsenal is the actor playing software genius Finch, "Lost's" Michael Emerson. He could make reading the phone book scintillating.

When Finch bails a homeless man out of jail, who turns out to be a former CIA operative named John Reese, to look into disturbing patterns of behavior he spots on the security cameras, that's where the show quickly gets moving.

Reese, played by Jim Caviezel (best known for "The Passion of the Christ") seems to be a bit more than what Finch bargained for, something of a 21st century "Dirty Harry" but even more of the "strong, silent type" than that. Hopefully Caviezel won't cross the line from brooding, gruff-voiced vigilante to someone with a personality deficit.

Taraji P. Henson brings an Oscar-caliber pedigree to the proceedings, but it appears that her character – a detective curious about Reese – will have much more to do in future episodes.

Out of the many drama pilots this season, this is surprisingly one of the few where you can see it potentially lasting for many seasons to come. It's hard to see how shows like "Ringer," "Revenge," and even the upcoming "Pan Am" can continue to keep people's interest long term, as they seem to only have enough plot set out for a season or so, or they just seem gimmicky. Here, I can tell there are many layers still to be peeled away for Reese and Finch.

As for the episode itself, I liked that the victim turned out to be the ringleader, which shows that this series will keep you guessing.

With Jonah Nolan ("The Dark Knight") as the creator and J.J. Abrams overseeing things, there are a lot of reasons to keep tuning in. It's not my favorite show of the new season, but I'll continue to follow it.

What about you? Did you enjoy the premiere? Share your view on iReport or comment below.

Filed under: Fall TV • TV recaps

1. Kailena

A lot of us are worried about the deinlce of the independent press. Amidst declining ad revenues, it seems like market democracies across the board are losing an asset that new media types (bloggers, podcasters, etc.) just can't fill. After all, the new media types don't have the time, training, or resources to dig deep into the belly of a story or attain the same standards of objectivity. The best they can do is process journalism.

August 12, 2012 at 2:16 am | Report abuse |
  2. ceai oolong | ceai

I used to be recommended this website through my cousin. I'm not positive whether this post is written by him as nobody else recognise such designated approximately my difficulty. You're wonderful! Thank you!

April 20, 2012 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  3. usmcyank

iplayed yank in chat rp's on msn back in the day, we had some great storylines. this series woulda fit right in.

February 4, 2012 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  4. antiquechick

Loved this show!!! The cast is great & can't wait to see more twists & turns every week!!! Keep it up guys & gal..you're my new favorite show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 23, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  5. tygermum

I loved this show! I hope they keep it on the air. I liked that it was different with twists and turns and JC is certainly easy on the eyes. A smart, entertaining program. Please don't take it off!

September 23, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  6. gigi35769

Said that this show has the ability to keep my interest because at one point in viewing I actually said, "Well, I didn't see that coming!" and the repeated the same statement later...in my house I am referred to as Ms. I Wrote the Script because I generally figure everything out before the end of the show...think I am going to like this one.

September 23, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  7. meadow muffin

I thought it was a great show...so please, please, please don't cancel it after a few episodes...I hate when you get interested in a show and they yank it....There are very few good shows on.

September 23, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  8. gcp

You've got the brilliant geek Finch and the savvy CIA operative Reese and it occurred to neither one of them that woman in question could be the perp and not the victim until it smacks them in the face (literally)? Really? It was an interesting first show, but I certainly hope these guys get just a bit smarter faster.

September 23, 2011 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
    • frank

Actually, if you paid attention, It was said in the very beginning that all he had was idents - he had no idea whether the person was the victim or the perp.

September 23, 2011 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  9. MoonDancer

@macb- I agree with you! Hey Starrfire- right back at ya! Have a good day everybody!

September 23, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  10. macb

LIked the victim turned ringleader twist – made the show less predictable. I am a fan of this type of show. And the 'big brother' concept being used to monitor and predict potential crimes...very fitting with the current state of technology and privacy in our country. I can tell you that I see that technology everyday – and that is why I stay offline as much as possible.

Reminded me of 'The Equalizer' from the 80's.

I have to agree that it is one of the shows with a better shot at multiple seasons, and they clearly
    set that stage when they displayed the 'data board' that was the source of their investigations.
    Good premice, good acting overall, I enjoyed the show and will watch it again for sure.

September 23, 2011 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  11. starrfire

With all the crime shows on tv, this one was certainly different. I was intrigued! Love Jim Caviezel! Can't wait to watch more. Hey Moondancer, hope you are having a good day! ;)

September 23, 2011 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  12. Kim

Very intriguing show. I will definitely continue watching. I like the casting with Jim Caviezel and Michael Emerson.

September 23, 2011 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  13. MoonDancer

I did watch the show. It has an interesting concept. Emerson & Caviezel seem to be a good combination. I will watch it again.

September 23, 2011 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  14. Christine

I really enjoyed this new show! I am a huge Michael Emerson fan and thought he did a superb job. This is definitely a different concept right now with all of the police shows and crime dramas on. I like that they keep you guessing and can definitely see some interesting twists and turns to come. Who is Finch? Did he lose someone in the terrorist attacks? What happened to Reese's girlfriend? What else can they do with the "machine"? Today coming into work in the city, I couldn't help but look all around to see who was watching! ;-)

September 23, 2011 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  15. mounika

jessica is a beauty and you see the profile and photos of jessica alba here http://thecelebritiesprofile.blogspot.com

September 23, 2011 at 7:24 am | Report abuse |