Watch: Full trailer for 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo'
September 22nd, 2011

Watch: Full trailer for 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo'

It's about time. Sony Pictures has released a full-length trailer for the English adaptation of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo."

Based on the international best-seller by Stieg Larsson, disgraced journalist Mikael Blomkvist (Daniel Craig) is hired by an aging Swedish tycoon (Christopher Plummer) to solve the mysterious disappearance of his granddaughter. It might be easy to presume that viewers are already familiar with the story thanks to the book, but this trailer sets up the central mystery in case you don't know.

Helmed by "Se7en" and "Fight Club" director David Fincher, the movie features other well-known actors, but its star is Rooney Mara.

Everyone knew Mara had tough shoes to fill after Noomi Rapace's critically lauded portrayal of computer hacker and social outcast Lisbeth Salander in the Swedish adaptation, but upon first look it seems she is more than up to the challenge.

"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" will be released on December 21, 2011 right in the thick of the holiday season, when many big blockbuster and Oscar-hopeful films are released. It can be expected that Sony is hoping for both.

Post by:
Filed under: movies • Trailer Park

1. John

I still don't understand why Hollywood decided to 'remake' these films. They were well done in the first place, with great actors and excellent scenery, photography, etc. I hope the original protagonist actors go on to make more films. They are both excellent. :).

September 26, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  2. DARTH VADER

i saw the original movie,it kicked ass.

September 24, 2011 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Stuff It

You fans of the Swedish trilogy of films have got to be kidding. The 3rd installment was so boring, it was hard to watch. The court room scene which took up the 2nd half of the film was so devoid of suspense and tension, it was laughable- a cleared courtroom, are you serious? Maybe it worked on paper, but it left that film really and truly flat. Additionally, the acting (besides Lisbeth) was amateurish. The whole thing didn't work. I hope the American versions are better.

September 23, 2011 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  4. momo

My apologies for the typo!

September 23, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  5. momo

Lisbeth is not Henry's grandaughter!!

September 23, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Dragan

If we change the focus of the argument to the merits of the film's creators, namely David Fincher, I would hope everyone could approach it with a more open mind.

True, the presence of 'unoriginal' material in American film is increasingly frustrating (see: everything released this past summer), but David Fincher may (which is up for debate, trolls) be the best and most consistent director of the past few years. The Social Network and Benjamin Button are across the board modern classics, while Larsson's novel(s) are tailor-made for the big screen. And also true, the European versions of the film (especially Rapace's Lisbeth) are pretty stellar, but is it possible that this film isn't just some hacked up American studio diarrhea? If the director, screenwriter and cast is any indication, my money is on it being a very worthwhile adaptation of the book.

Not everything is black and white with remakes and adaptations, and with a project like this inevitably being remade, I don't think I'd rather the helms be in anybody else's hands but in Mr. Fincher's.

September 23, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  7. mejazzbo

The european film versions of the trilogy were intense. These American copy cats will need to be even better to be taken seriously. This "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" has some big shoes to fill. So far, even the dragon tattoo itself is pretty small by comparison.

September 23, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  8. Vince Neil

The female Mick Mars.

September 23, 2011 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  9. La Donna

There is only one Lisbeth Salander and it's not this one! YOU ROCK, Noomi Rapace and will always be Lisbeth Salander!

September 23, 2011 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Laura

Exactly!

No one can replace Noomi...ever.

If you want to see this movie, it's already out there...and it's incredible!

September 23, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Really?

This movie will not be about that. THere are movies like that and there aren't. Like "The Help" it was empowering to some people who went to see it. Movies are made for entertainment; your comment was vapid and ignorant. There is no shame on us. The "Good Gallant" men are still out there, but again I say, this is a movie. So, yeah, it will not be like real life. Again, your comment is vapid and ignornant.

September 23, 2011 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  11. Christianna

What's wrong with the white women? Can't women be more graceful and lady-like? Why should girls always fight against villain men and show their skin in the West? Where are the good, gallant men who are to protect women and children? Why do the men in rich countries find it amusing to watch the women fighting? What has gone wrong in the West? Shame on all of you. Poor your honorable ancestors. They wasted their lives on stupid descendants. Please be overpowered by the Chinese or Muslims or whatever.

September 23, 2011 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  12. Kensi

Some of us already know the stories because we're already see THE movie. This is just a remake of the excellent Swedish series that's been available for a few years. Hollywood, come up with something on your own!

September 22, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sarah

Exactly!!! I have read the books and watched the original versions of the movies. Noomi Rapace was perfect in the role of Lisbeth. I will try to talk myself into watching this new version....but I already know I am probably not going to like it as much...I'm sure Rooney Mara is a fine actress...but I just don't see her as a believable Lisbeth.

September 23, 2011 at 1:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Stephanie

Read the books!

September 23, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • meetoo

It's hard to see how this will top the Swedish films . . . Noomi Rapace was awesome and so was Mikvael Blomqvist. And the actors they chose for the roles were so BELIEVABLE–not all the pretty faces Hollywood always picks but so perfect for their roles.

September 26, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  13. nancy

I got a nice full sized trailer too. It is a doublewide. One of the nicest in the park. My neighbors dog keeps tearing up the unerpinning but thats a story for another day. I just really like when i can read about all these good trailers and mobile homes. It makes a girl smile.

September 22, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  14. cowboy nate

It sounds mysterious to me. I wish it was about eating beans though. Beans are good.

September 22, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • i8cake

So is cake. I love cake with no icing. Cake is good, sometimes I eat cupcakes. Cupcakes are good also but i really like cake. Icing only ruins the cake. I love cake.

September 26, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  15. portalpunk aint first

Excellent book. Hope the movie is just as good, but you never know because sometimes they leave things out of the book when put into a movie.

September 22, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |