'Revenge' is sweet, but how long will it last?
September 22nd, 2011

'Revenge' is sweet, but how long will it last?

[Editor's Note: The post below contains spoilers to the September 21 premiere of "Revenge."]

In ABC’s version of the Hamptons, not all is well in paradise. The pilot of “Revenge” shows us that there is trouble lurking among the wealthy in the form of Emily Thorne.

The network has said “Revenge” is a modernized version of “The Count of Monte Cristo” with a female lead, and if you're into shows like “Desperate Housewives” and “Pretty Little Liars,” I think you'll appreciate the twists in this series.

Emily (played by Emily VanCamp) tells us in the opening scene that "this is not a story about forgiveness” as we see her fiancé Daniel being shot in the back by a stranger.

Flashback to five months earlier, and we are introduced to Emily as a new renter of a Hamptons home. Her neighbor is socialite and Hamptons queen, Victoria Grayson, played by the versatile Madeleine Stowe. Victoria’s best friend, Lydia Davis (Amber Valletta) is the owner of the house.

But besides having a connection through the house, Emily has a much deeper and darker connection with them. Seventeen years ago, Emily used to be Amanda Clarke, whose father David was an employee of Conrad Grayson (Henry Czerny). Victoria, her husband Conrad and Lydia framed David for a horrible crime he never committed, sending him to prison for life. Amanda was forced to spend most of her childhood in a juvenile center.

Victoria and David used to love each other and were probably having an affair, making Victoria’s ultimate betrayal even worse. David eventually died. Amanda changed herself into Emily and began to plot her revenge with the financial help of Nolan Ross (Gabriel Mann), her father’s friend and a tech genius who has the most money on the island. With careful planning, Emily begins to create rifts between the three and destroys their families.

VanCamp has an innocent look about her but she is able to carry off the bitter, scheming and wounded Emily quite well. At times her face is a little harder to read and she succeeds in masking her true intentions.

Madeleine Stowe has been perfectly cast as Victoria. The tension between Victoria and Emily is uncomfortably good. Victoria, in general, can make you squirm in your seat even as she smiles at you.

But how long “Revenge” can actually drag out? In the last scene of the pilot, Victoria suspects Emily of foul play and calls someone to find out more about her. It’s only a matter of time until Victoria and everyone else will figure out her identity. Then what? Emily is currently plotting her revenge on Victoria, Conrad and Lydia and others involved in the trial, but how long will it REALLY take? Unless the writers introduce more people deserving of revenge, or turn her childhood friend Jack Porter (Nick Wechsler) into an accomplice or hindrance, this show could end sooner than we think.

I also found the Hamptons to be an interesting backdrop, but it seems odd that this show is set at the start of summer when for all of us summer is pretty much over. A bit of poor timing, especially since "Royal Pains," another Hamptons-based drama, recently aired their mid-season finale.

Are you impressed by this tale of “Revenge?” Do you think this is a show you will commit to?

1. Freedom

Revenge – and she can't kill the man who killed her fatehr, what a joke. I'll never watch another Revenge!!!!

May 24, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Ian Herdan

Thanks for sharing, I discovered this article when googling

March 18, 2012 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  3. gina conti

This show has me waiting for the next eposide as soon as it ends each week..I just love the twists and turns.
    It makes one really wonder if we could plan such a revenge on those who need it.....................

December 7, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Nancy

I love this show and can't get enough of it. I hope it remains on for a long time. I can't wait to see what happens each week it is so interesting.

November 4, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  5. keukalaker

Oh my God, I love it...have it TIVO'd and watch each episode over again to make sure I didn't miss anything...it replaces Dynasty, and Dallas from the innocent 80's.....please keep it going!!!

October 26, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Nnguyen200

I LOVE this show! But my question is like what others may be is, how long will this last? I love the characters I wish I could see her use Nolan more but it may be that he is not as manipulative as her but just this so called "geek" wanting to follow and have friends. But I do see how devoted he is in keeping his word and keeping Emily safe. But foremost the characters are great the manipulation is great and the entire show is wonderful.....I am hooked!

October 20, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  7. DeAnna

Love this show- its my favorite new show- beautifully cast-great story-I can't wait for the next show- I do however worry that the story line as outlines so far will have a hard time sustaining itself-but will certainly enjoy it as long as its on! I would really hate to see it end -

October 13, 2011 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Sam Z.

loved it.

September 29, 2011 at 4:41 am | Report abuse |
  9. MikeMazzla

Thumbs up on the fiorst episode.. but yeah my wife and I were wondering how they were going to keep it going. But yeah an interesting first episode and it was pretty rad when she just blurted out that she saw the woman and her "husband"

Probably a coincidence but i thought of Dallas a couple of times with the naming of the Hotel Southfork Inn and the use the the last name Grayson ( ie Mark Grayson) but probably just a coincidence.

September 28, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Patrik

"...but it seems odd that this show is set at the start of summer when for all of us summer is pretty much over."

What does this even mean? So you're saying that they shouldn't have "The Ice Storm" in California because, you know, we never have ice storms?

September 26, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  11. JC

I liked it it was instresting.

September 24, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Valerie

Great show, watched it again was so good. Great Madeleine Stowe is back and has hardly aged. All the acting was good. Best show debut of the season so far.

September 23, 2011 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jo

I didn't think I would like it as much as I did... then when I saw Nick Weschler... I was hooked! He was on Roswell and played a completely different character. Boy, he aged very nicely. Quality acting is a plus. Look forward to seeing how the season develops.

September 22, 2011 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Janice

I loved the acting, the whole thing is a bit dime store novelish, but the acting will probably see me checking it out again. I'm hoping it's one run series that tells its story and ends. I prefer an actual story(even if campy) acted well to a bunch shoes strung out and out until there is no possible way to suspend disbelief. Keep it tight, keep it clean and then go home.

September 22, 2011 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Booo

Since I loved the show, I think there's a good chance it will be canceled. But I hope not. I love Madeline stowe and it's nice to see her in such a strong role! Love Emily, too.

September 22, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Jen

LOVED the show!

September 22, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Mrs. AH64-D

I loved it! Lots of twists and turns – will be interesting to watch even more unfold. Hopefully it will be around awhile and we won't get stuck with another "reality" show – UGH!

September 22, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Susen

Amen to that Mrs AH64-D!!!!! I watch TV to escape reality so I'm not fond of Reality TV shows. I would like to see this go to the end. I'm a fan of Emilly's from when she played on BROTHERS AND SISTERS and the previews plus her made me anxiously wait until I got to see it.

September 22, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Anomic Office Drone

Emily VanCamp sure is pretty. How about putting her in something I want to watch?

September 22, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Marie

Nolan isn't really providing her anything. It's from when her dad invested in his company, and she legally owns 49% of it.

September 22, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patrik

I was just about to write the same thing when I saw your comment.

Kind of blows your faith in this review, doesn't it?

September 26, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Robin

Loved the first episode. I hope it's a long running show. I loved the fact the dog remembered "Amanda". I am looking forward to next week's episode.

September 22, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Garry

I know..when the dog remembered was a touching scene..I think the show will last

September 22, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  21. floss from philly

I like it but let's see if the writing can keep it interesting. I'll be watching

September 22, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Garry

I really liked the premise of the show and the acting was really good. i look forward to next weeks show..Hell, even my 85 year old other stayed up to watch it and she loved it!!

September 22, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  23. E

Loved every second of it! Totally hooked. Emily van Camp is amazing! Can't wait until next episode!

September 22, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Trazey

I like Emily Van Camp so I gave it a try, but WOW it was dreadful. Cancelled by Christmas, you heard it here first kids!

September 22, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  25. yatsidog

Did anyone pick up on the fact that the dog remembered her?

September 22, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • susen

I also noticed the dog remembered her. I just think that the guy is so sidetracked because of his dad's business and he didn't take the time to figure it out. However, he did notice and told her so in a polite way. I think of the people who knew me when I was 5ish and they stil can recognize me....so my thought was how do they not know it's her?

September 22, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Shelly

I was actually surprised to find that I liked the show. I watched it only because it was on right after Modern Family and it sort of pulled me in.

September 22, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Kiki

I loved it. I thought the cast was very good, although shouldn't the Nolan Ross character be a little bit older? The production itself was gorgeous – kudos to the production design team! Madeline Stowe is a great villainess!

September 22, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |