Cowboy up! 'Modern Family' is back
September 22nd, 2011

Cowboy up! 'Modern Family' is back

After another great night at the Emmys, it was time for our favorite family to return on Wednesday night, and none too soon.

The season premiere of "Modern Family" was two back-to-back episodes, and though I somewhat preferred the first one over the second, they were both solid, showing once again why it's one of the most consistently funny shows on TV.

In the first episode, they took a trip to a Wyoming dude ranch, where Mitchell had reservations about adopting a boy (and wanted to use this opportunity to find his more manly side). Jay was fending off a ranch hand making passes at Gloria, Alex had a summer romance, Phil was hamming it up as usual (with cowboy skills like "shootin', ropin', pancake eatin'"), and Claire was this close to wishing that Haley's dim boyfriend Dylan would walk off a cliff.

This episode was just as good as the last on location one in Hawaii, but let's take a moment to mourn the fact that Dylan may no longer be in our lives – he took a job on the ranch, to Claire's relief (that ill-advised marriage proposal was the last straw). Poor, dumb Dylan.

My favorite moments, though, had to be Jay's struggles with the horse, to the point where he had to ride on the same horse with Phil in order to rescue his wife from the flirtatious ranch hand. So, Jay gets the first MVP award of the season (plus, much as I love Ty Burrell, I think the Emmy should have gone to Ed O'Neill).

The second episode focused more on the new Lily (who is apparently three now?... but looks five). Now that Mitchell is on board with a boy, she's the one who needs convincing. However, the highlight of all of this was Cam's "low key" announcement involving "Let's Hear it for the Boy" that went horribly awry.

Alex and Haley's scheme to get Luke to live up in the attic was a bit too cliche, family-sitcom-y for my taste, however. That being said, I have to agree with co-creator Steve Levitan's Emmy night shout-out to the consistently great work done by the kids on this show.

Plus, it did give us this line from Luke to Mitchell: "At least [the attic is] big. Grandpa said you used to live in a closet." Not to mention Alex's request to Haley to "L a little less O L."

The script was terrific, in general, in the way that it tied in Claire's need to be right with Jay's towards the very end.

All in all, I'm thrilled for this season, and happy to see that it's still at the top of its game.

Did you enjoy the premiere as well, like iReporter Kathi Cordsen? Post your own iReport or comment below.

1. Sokman

I agree Ed O'Neill deserved the Emmy. But he upgraded big time from Peg Bundy, so that should be some consolation.

September 23, 2011 at 2:30 am | Report abuse |
  2. Alpha

im going bck to the lady gaga blog to pick on some bullies

September 22, 2011 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Alpha

This isnt political....sooooo yaaaaaa im gonna sit this one out unless someone says something funny

September 22, 2011 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  4. timmie

I need to try watching this show. At 8 i turn it to CNN HLN and leave it till I go to sleep. Everyone sure likes it. Rarely ill watch southpark but somtimes it is a little different. oh well.

September 22, 2011 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  5. John

The show is so frikin funny, who really cares if there is minor gaps in the story? We should just enjoy it without feeling the need to pick apart minor details.

September 22, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  6. cowboy nate

its ok to be emotional, meg. we understand. sometimes if i eat lots of beans it makes gives me strong emotions.

September 22, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  7. cowboy nate

When we are on the trail all us cowboys have to keep regular. Thats why we eat plenty of good beans.

September 22, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • MJ

Can someone please tellme if it was Tim Blake Nelson playing the cowhand at the dude ranch??

September 24, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Anomic Office Drone

I love Modern Family, but I had to DVR this one. I am excited to watch tonight, though.

September 22, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Kat

I loved both episodes, this is still and will remain one of my favorite sitcoms on TV. HOWEVER, I'm not a big fan of the Lily transition. I knew they had gotten a new actress so that the character could evolve more, but it was too weird. She's suddenly speaking (and very well, by the way!), standing, walking and has grown a good 6 inches (not to mention a couple years- wasn't she still an infant)?? Don't get me wrong, the little girl is adorable and seems extremely intelligent, but I hate it when shows do the weird jumping child-aging thing, but I guess it's better than when a child suddenly disappears (Judy Winslow, a la "Family Matters" anyone??)

September 22, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Meg

I agree that they could have bridged the gap between Lillie's a little better. I mean the first one was a toddler by the end of last season but was not saying any words at all- and really expressed emotion, I was starting to wonder if that kid had a mild form of autism. All of the sudden she is speaking and saying full phrases! and way bigger. Oh well, it'll only take a few episodes to get used to, and then it's unlikely they will need a new actress again.

September 22, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Meg

I meant "really didn't express emotion"

September 22, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |