'Charlie's Angels' reboot offers little new
September 22nd, 2011

'Charlie's Angels' reboot offers little new

In the opening moments of the series premiere of "Charlie's Angels" - which is now set in Miami - the Angels are already at work on a mission, but anyone who saw the endless ABC promos might not recognize Nadine Velazquez from "My Name is Earl" as one of the Angels.

It didn't take long to figure out that her character was not long for this world, and wouldn't you know it, she gets killed in a car bomb.

Abby Sampson (Rachael Taylor) and Kate Prince (Annie Ilonzeh) just happen to have an opening for a third Angel when they happen upon hotheaded thrill-seeker Eve French (Minka Kelly, the only potential breakout star here if there is any).

Again, it's easy to figure out where things are headed here, and so went pretty much everything else in this episode.

The only big change to the "Angels" formula - which worked so well in the 1970s and for series executive producer Drew Barrymore - is the casting of Ramon Rodriguez as Bosley. Let's just say he's a far cry from David Doyle, Bill Murray or Bernie Mac, and he also gets a lot more involved in the missions.

The show is a more high octane, less blatantly exploitative version of the '70s series. As an action series, it certainly delivers on a surface level, but there's not much *there* there (the plot/mission of the week couldn't matter less).

On a crowded Thursday night, it will take a lot for this show to survive, and in the year 2011, it's not exactly that difficult to find movies or TV series with women kicking butt. (In fact, a "Chuck" spinoff of "The Cat Squad" would probably be a much better show.) So the real question is, why "Charlie's Angels" now?

Maybe you liked the premiere better than I did. If so (or if you agree), let me know on iReport or comment below.

« Previous entry
  1. Boooo

Tried to watch only because Miami is one of my favorite cities. Turned it off after the first 10 minutes. How did this make it from the pilot process to the small screen in the first place? I'm sure focused groups would have told them this show was doomed from the start. I'll be surprised if it lasts.

September 27, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  2. OkWow

just go watch the original show......you know "She Spies"

September 23, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Reyna

I I agree that the Cat squad spin off would do better.

September 23, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  4. joe

Seiously, a Mexican Bosley?

September 23, 2011 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  5. carhy

I thought the acting was just plain awful. I started reading a book on my Kindle by the 2nd commercial. When they killed off Gloria, I thought the other two girls knew she wasn't dead–turns out they just couldn't act! UGH!

September 23, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  6. timmie

woooo. I might not mind a Point Break remake. Thats one of my fav movies of all time. Bet the new one will be nowhere as good as the first though. Keanu and Patrick Swayzee and even Flea from the chilli peppers. Gosh it is a likeable movie.

September 23, 2011 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  7. Alicia

The show is horrible. It wont last past season 1... Sorry but the women are just bad actors and the plots are very predictable. Hollywood needs to stop remaking show and bring something original to the table. I'm sure screenwriters are busy submitting new material daily. I mean look at all the movie remakes in the works.. Dirty dancing, Point Break & Footloose...PLEASE STOP WITH ALL THE REMAKES!!!!!

September 23, 2011 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
    • OkWow

aBC does have a nice history of pulling shows mid way or sooner. I dont see it lasting more than 10 eps.

September 23, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tony

Are you kidding? It won't last a month. Two, three episodes tops.

September 24, 2011 at 3:15 am | Report abuse |
  8. Brian

I didn't even bother. It looked like a stinker from the first promo.

September 23, 2011 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  9. timmie

The show really seems targeted at 13 to 14 year old girls. For anyone else it is pretty much a big zero. The angels are bland with no secksappeal. Their acting is miserable. No T and A. zero.

September 23, 2011 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  10. timmie

It really was a miserably bad show. Plus no T and A. None. The blonde wasnt too bad but nothing special. Plus her front teeth are bad crooked. Really a dissapointment.

September 23, 2011 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  11. Evel Knievel

If they're showing cans and a55, count me in.

September 23, 2011 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  12. ryan

Couldn't watch it through.. I got to the bit where Eve told her back story and smiled when she said her parents were dead. No fluctuation in feeling or tempo. Some of the worst acting I have seen from a new Tv show. Person of Interest much better.

September 23, 2011 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
  13. Duncan

It was awful.. seriously bad. The acting when the 3rd angel was killed was so bad you would think that a hamster had died instead of a member of their family. The dialog was pathetic and the story poor.

September 23, 2011 at 7:53 am | Report abuse |
  14. Pat

The first TV series was awful. Good intentions overwhelmed by bad taste and worse scripts.

Which is why I suppose a remake was irresistable. Bleh.

September 23, 2011 at 6:18 am | Report abuse |
  15. John

When they introduced Bosley, I thought, great, they got a guy who looks a lot like the original who added so much to the classic show, but it was just a trick - the camera goes by the red herring Bosley and we meet the young, practically feminine pretty-boy Bosley who looks like every other 20-something Hollywood pretty boy with no personality and a nice set of teeth - at least not one worth tuning into. Loved the original series, didn't think much of the silly movies, and don't like anything about this new series. Next....

September 23, 2011 at 6:11 am | Report abuse |
  16. Mr MM

This was a terrible remake, no chemistry.... Dear Drew, the movie versions that you produced were only "OK" (most Charlie's Angels fans hated them) and now it's time to move on.

September 23, 2011 at 3:04 am | Report abuse |
  17. JP

I changed the channel after half an hour. The acting was terrible and the plot was predictable. A "Cat Squad" spinoff would be more fun.

September 23, 2011 at 1:53 am | Report abuse |
  18. Sokman

Stinks like boiled cabbage (no offense merchant).

September 23, 2011 at 1:41 am | Report abuse |
  19. boring

Show suckz. Just teetz and azz!

September 22, 2011 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Namaste

Time for Drew to come up with something new. She has pretty much dragged this out for more than it's worth.

September 22, 2011 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Cabbage Merchant

No not really. Fail. Reremake.

September 22, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • eunis

Watching someone take a huge dump in your mouth would be more entertaining than this garbage could ever be.

September 23, 2011 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |