September 22nd, 2011

Anna Nicole's former doc defends Conrad Murray

From one celebrity doctor to another, Anna Nicole Smith's former physician is coming to the defense of Conrad Murray.

Murray, who was treating Michael Jackson and has been charged with involuntary manslaughter in Jackson's death, faces up to four years in prison if found guilty. Dr. Sandeep Kapoor, who was acquitted on charges of illegally providing drugs to the late Smith, says he feels sympathy for Murray.

“I think I do just based on the fact that there isn't a whole lot of medicine that is being talked about here. And it's very unclear about the history of how much he knew about his medical history, and how much he was told about his medical history," Kapoor tells "Showbiz Tonight" in an exclusive interview. "So I think that not knowing a lot of that could, potentially, have put him in a really bad situation. A bad situation where he did the best he could, and, obviously, it did not have a good outcome.”

There's been discussion about allowing the jury to look at a tape of Michael Jackson announcing his "This Is It" tour, with Murray's lawyers claiming it would allow the jurors to see MJ's "mental and physical condition back in March of 2009," three months before his death. But that's a move Kapoor thinks would be a bad idea.

“Having the jury look at a tape of Michael Jackson in an interview or prior to his concert tour, and trying to assess his health is somewhat risky," he says. "Having 12 people who are not physicians sort of say, ‘Well, geez, he looked healthy to me.’ Or, ‘He didn't look healthy,’ or ‘He was frail or weak.’ I think that's wrong.”

Overall, Kapoor says he believes that Murray "had every intention...that Michael Jackson should be healthy and live and he wanted to get him to London to perform his performances." He tells "SBT," "I don't think he's a monster. I mean he's a physician. He's a cardiologist. He meant well. And he has a patient base that's he's done a lot of great things for. I don't think he's a monster by any means.”

For "Showbiz Tonight's" full exclusive interview with Kapoor, tune in to HLN today at 11 p.m. ET.

Watch Showbiz Tonight Weekdays Exclusively at 11PM ET on HLN.

1. DS3441

Dr. Kervorkian also defended Dr. Murray's actions (You know who Dr. Kervorkian is, the doctor who went to jail for euthanizing people). He has since died.

Dr. Kapoor is also a "Dr. Death", what he did for Anna Nicole was sick.

September 24, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  2. june

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! Totally believable that one drug dealer would defend another. Kapoor, you obviously know nothing about the Conrad Murray case. Get your butt off tv defending the defenseless acts of the criminally negligent Conrad Murray. When Murray loses all his medical licenses yours should be stripped as well; you are not an anesthesiologist, you do not know the standard of care which should have been applied by Murray. You and he are the posterchildren for doctors who betray their hippocratic oath for money.

September 23, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  3. WOLF

OK Kapoor WHO SENT YOU? you doped up ANNA with the help of her so called boyfriend Howard Stern, & that other Doctor that CLAIMED to be friends to MS ANNA. I learned ALOT in the short few months I was so sad about her losing her son DANIEL. people like YOU should NEVER hold a license again! your GREEDY! I can't stand people who PRETEND to be a friend, just so they can milk a person from CASH!

September 23, 2011 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  4. kathys

.....GIVE ME A BREAK...and then last night Diane Dimond is STILL on HLN making derogatory remarks about Michael.
    Someone...shut these people up.........

September 23, 2011 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
  5. Carol

Kapoor should stop talking. Of course he would defend Murray. Both have no right to be doctors.

September 23, 2011 at 7:53 am | Report abuse |
  6. shadowmia

kapoor's comments are ridiculously stupid and should convince potential clients that, at the very least, he's incompetent.

September 23, 2011 at 6:35 am | Report abuse |
  7. •Mary•

I do think Dr. Murray should be accountable for Jackson's death. I also think that if there is anyone else who knew Jackson was getting a strong hospital use only drug should be accountable. Without a doubt I'm sure others knew as well. Jackson should be held mostly responsible. I know he's dead and has paid the ultimate price already. Jackson knew exactly what he was doing and what he was getting. That's ONE thing you can be sure of is that an ADDICT always knows what he is taking, how much it is, how and where to get it, how much he or she has left, exactly how long it takes to get it and what to do to get it. We know about those things. There are so many secrets and lies in that family. One never know who to believe. But you can always believe that addict when he or she is talking about drugs. There is an expert in EVery drug addict. I'm sure those kids will be fine, I just hope the family helps those kids,tell them everything so they have a fair chance in life. We don't need to know all the gory, dysfunctional details of the Jackson family but the kids do. It's going to be a rough road for them and the truth always makes the road a little less bumpy. I wish them all well. I hope if I was put in that position as Dr. Murray to make a lot of extra money by giving Jackson a little "night cap" each night. I think I would make the right decision. Money though can play some scary games with our head and provide lots of reasons to make some f•••Ked up choices. •MARY•

September 23, 2011 at 2:35 am | Report abuse |
  8. Namaste

And now a word from Henry The Eighth on Womens Rights.

September 22, 2011 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Marcus Welby, MD

Like either one of these clowns knows what it means to be a real doctor. GMAFB!

September 22, 2011 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  10. @firsties

you aren't fooling anyone, portalpunk! we know it's you!

September 22, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  11. MichaelPureSoul

Your expertise is NOT anesthesiology so please refrain from such stupidities Kapoor, it seems quite clearly that you have not cared to look at the facts of this case at all. The recklessness of his actions alone is sufficient to make him a killer!

September 22, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |